Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The story that the Stars Sing ( ~Ethereal-Star) (M)

Started by SilmeriaElemred, September 25, 2015, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

Sophr woke up when Evadne did. ''Hello... how are you feeling...'' she said softly. ''What is that smell?'' she rubbed her eyes and looked around quickly noticing a few of the candles were out. It was still light enough fortunatly and Sophr was wide awake. Quickly she relit the candles and looked through the window.

''Oh no...'' she said fearstruck. ''There are black soldiers...'' she backed away from the window. ''Last night were justs scouts. They must be looking for something...'' she looked at Evadne. ''Are you able to completely turn off your shine? If they look for you it could give you away...''

Ethereal-Star

"I am still feeling not quite myself." Evadne confessed. "I fear I will not get the proper rest that I require." There was a look of unease in her dark cosmic eyes, but she tried her best to brush it off.

At Sophr's question, the Flameling shook her head sorrowfully. "I...I cannot. That is a trait that all we descended stars possess. While I can dim it somewhat, I cannot turn it off completely. Not being at full strength already makes it dimmer than normal. That will have to suffice, I believe." But at what cost, she wondered.

SilmeriaElemred

''Well, the darkness had not touched us last night so we are not marked. We... we should be safe.'' Sophr spoke. ''The soldier did saw you already. We chould join the others... before it comes in.'' there were screams on the street as well. It was then Sophr realised that the whole village was being searched.

''Prince Erian! Prince Erian is here!'' Keir heard someone call. The blacksmith and his wife looked up as well. ''Prince Erian? What would he be doing here...'' the blacksmith asked.

A loud bang was on the door and more candles flickered and lit. ''Evadne... Sophr... come here...'' Keir spoke as the darkness seemed to slowly conquor the light.

Ethereal-Star

Slowly, as best as she were able to, Evadne went over to Keir and the others, sitting down once more. Eyes looking toward the door with uncertainty, then they flicked back over to Keir. The Star was in no state to fight, she was still much too weakened.

Draping the blanket over herself to hide the glow from her body some more, Evadne could only hope that whoever or whatever was at the door would tire and leave them alone. She did not wish to see these people hurt, regardless of whether they had taken her in and helped her or not. They were good folk. Evadne closed her eyes for a moment as if to try and ward off the encroaching darkness which seemed to swallow the room in its black hungry maw. The temperature also dropped considerably.

Then the rest of the candles went out as well as the fire in the fireplace, casting the room in pitch blackness, making the shimmering light from Evadne's body readily visible, faint though it was. There was nowhere to hide. They were trapped.

SilmeriaElemred

''I do not know what Prince Erian could possibly want but people are being taken outside.''

''Let me help.'' Sophr spoke and created more light. She stayed close to Evadne to mask the star's glow. ''Evadne... maybe it is best if you pretend to be sick in bed.''  Keir whispered.

''I will stay with her.'' Sophr said to which Keir nodded.

The banging on the door did not stop and after taking a deep breath Keir went to the door and opened it.
''Everyone outside.'' The soldier spoke.

Being so close in front of one felt as if being surrounded by ice. Never before had Keir seen one of them. They were larger then the average men. Their skin seemed to be made of living coal. ''On our way. I have a sick relative though who can not come.'' Keir replied. The soldier just growled before moving to the next house.

''We need to go outside.'' he spoke and looked to the blacksmith and his wife who got on her feet. ''Now dont you go anywhere...'' the woman said to Evadne who placed her hand gently on Evadne's shoulder before heading outside with the others.

-----
The townspeople were all gathered at the square and a large squad of the shadowcreatures stood with Erian with their weapons at the ready.

''My sincere apolagies for disturbing your night rituals. But I am here for a matter of great importance.'' Erian spoke. All the townspeople were quiet.

''My father, the King. Passed away last night. Very sad I know. My siblings and I are discussing who will ascend the throne in his place. It seems my late father turned it into some kind of game where several objects need to be found. I will go through every village in my province with this offer; help me gather those artifacts and you will not have to worry for 10 whole generations of your family being taken. This applies to the whole village. Imagine how much suffering it will spare you from.'' Erian spoke as if it was a happy thing.

His expression then became more angry. ''Last night, not to far from here, something fell out of the sky. An object of great, value. I need that object. But when I got to the crater... it was gone. If any of you have found it I would like to have it now. There will be no repercussions after all you did not know I needed it. But. If anyone even dares to keep that object from me, I will give the order and slaughter each and every one of you.''

Keir bit his lower lip. This was bad. If Erian would get nothing then everyone would die. But he could not exactly give Evadne to him either.

Still many knew Keir was in the woods. He could not betray the people whom he saw as family so he stepped forward. ''Your Grace, it was I who was in the woods last night. I heard the impact and despite it was night I had headed out. There was something in the crater and I picked it up. I do not know if it is what you seek but I shall get it for you.'' With a deep polite bow he went to his home and saw Erian's grin briefly. Keir just hoped that he bought the lie.

Back at home he started to open drawers. ''Keir?... What is going on.'' Sophr asked.

''Erian is looking for what came out of the sky last night.'' Keir replied as he grabbed a key from a drawer and rushed to the small basement his home had. Opening a chest and took out an envellope. Tore it open and took out a silver chain with a beautiful elegant pendant on it.

''Keir...'' Sophr spoke a bit sad.

''It's alright Sophr. It is not like I ever will find a girl to marry with.'' Keir jestered although the way he looked at the pendant revealed it hurt him.

''Give me some fairy dust. Quickly.'' Keir whispered as he walked towards Evadne and Sophr. The fairy hesitated but did as Keir asked. Making the beautiful piece of jewelery glinster even more.

''It will be ok. It is just a necklace'' he whispered.

Ethereal-Star

This wasn't looking good. Evadne took a deep breath and held it even as the baker opened the door to reveal the dark soldier. A feeling of ice and terror gripped her heart then as she stared upon the creature's countenance. There was no doubt it was evil. While Evadne had faced evil before, she had also been much more prepared to do such. In her state, she was a sitting duck as the mortals often referred to it as. Therefore as a result, her sense of courage and determination had also dwindled. But despite this, Evadne had to help. She knew somehow what the prince was looking for. He was looking for her.

After everyone was ushered out, Evadne sat in the darkness for some time. While normally the darkness was calming, this was no natural darkness so she felt anything but calm. The feeling of unease continued to grow as she heard the shouts and yells of the people and soldiers. Then all was quiet as the townspeople headed toward the town square, it being too far away for the star to hear anything else. Swallowing, she closed her eyes and then reopened them, getting up carefully, but stumbling as she did.

She was contemplating on what to do when the door burst open and in came Keir followed by the fairy Sophr. He looked to be in a hurry, grabbing something from one of the drawers nearby before heading downstairs to the basement. The half-elf soon came back up with a beautiful necklace in hand. The Star could tell it was very special to him. His words further worried her. There was only one way this could end, with no one getting hurt. Evadne suspected that the one looking for her would see through the lie and then Keir and everyone else would pay for it with their lives. She could not have that happen.

"Keir..." Evadne gasped, her form seemed to weaken further and she nearly collapsed on the floor. Her light dimmed even more, then all of a sudden her body let out a blinding flash of light as she lost control of her inner fire. It was bright enough to perhaps be seen from a distance as well as temporarily blind Keir and possibly the fairy as well.

Still, she tried to talk. "I can help solve this....This is the only way..."

Then she collapsed on the ground, automatically slipping back into her trance state due to her incomplete transformation to this earth. For all intents and purposes, she would not awaken any time soon...

SilmeriaElemred

''Evadne?'' Keir asked rushing to her side. First checking her pulse. He had never dealt with a star before and did not know what was wrong. Sophr did not seem to know either.

He could hear the footsteps of the soldiers and the calm ones of Erian. ''Sophr, illuminate.'' Keir said and the fairy nodded. A warm light filled the room.

''Well subject?'' Erian asked. Keir realised that the man was in his door opening. ''Care to explain the light from before?''

''I apolagise your grace. I bed for forgiveness. My relative is very sick. She just collapsed in front of me. As for the Light, I am bound to this light fairy here. She is scared of the dark so overdid it a little.''

Keir got on his feet and kneeled before holding out the pendant. ''This is the object found in the crater your grace. I hope this is what thy has been looking for.'' it pained his heart as he felt the necklace carefully being taken from his hand. It had been something his mother sent to him from wherever she was. But he still would have the letter. If this saved the village and Evadne it would be worth it.

''A necklace... interesting.'' Erian said with a smile and put it in a black box. ''One down.'' his gaze went to Keir. ''I thank you subject. You did your future king a good service. You and your village shall be spared.'' he looked at Evadne briefly before he headed out again. She shadowsoldiers stood around Erian and they all vanished in a cloud of black dust. All candles and fireplaces lighting up again.

As soon as they were gone Keir released his held breath and knelt down by Evadne placing her head on his lap. ''Evadne? EVADNE! Wake up!'' he called. He then picked her up. No idea if it worked but she was a star. Maybe, maybe she would feel better under the starlight. Instead of the main street he carried her to his little garden behind the house, keeping her in his arms as he sat down on a spot where the star and moonlight were visable.

''Stars shining bright in the sky... help me... tell me what I need to do to make her better...'' he whispered.

Ethereal-Star

The stars seemed to shine brighter in response for a brief moment before all was normal once more. It was such a small speck of time that Keir might think he'd imagined it instead.

Then, the whispering started. Zillions upon zillions, if not way more than that, of voices began a very faint whispering that was nearly imperceptible. The sound was so soft to the ear, but only Keir would be able to detect it as it was meant for him to hear only. It was the stars who spoke in barely audible murmurs, voices melding into one, telling the half-elven baker what he needed to do.

The exposure to starlight seemed to help Evadne a little for she stirred slightly, but did not awaken. Still her color seemed to come back more and her temperature began to even out as well. Even the glow around her brightened in response. The whispering continued, telling Keir she needed to remain out here for at least a few nights, otherwise her adjustment would take much longer. And time was not on the Flameling's side. After several more seconds, the sounds stopped and the baker would feel a slight sense of rejuvenation and comfort as well. A small smile graced the descended star's features, but still she did not awaken from her coma-like trance. But it was obvious his plan was working.

SilmeriaElemred

''I will see it done.'' Keir whispered. Camping in his own backyard was not exactly something he had done before.

The villagers all had returned to their homes. Except for the blacksmith and his wife who joined him in the garden. ''Keir... what is going on.'' The woman asked placing a hand on his shoulder.

Keir sighed. ''I should come clean with you.'' he said softly. ''Evadne was the one who fell from the sky. She's a... star. Well. A flameling now. She was forced down here last night from the sky. Erian was looking for her. I could not give her up to him I'm sorry. I most likely endangered all of us.''

''You did right. As long as she has enough time to recover.'' the woman spoke.

''There are stories about stars and flamelings. They hold a lot of power. The recent king he... well. Story goes that he had consumed one several hundreds of years ago. It was what gave him so much power. It was his father before that consuming one too. We need to keep her out of Erian's hands and that of his other siblings.''

The blacksmith agreed. ''What did you gave Erian?''

''The magic necklace from my mother. With some of Sophr's fairy dust. I was certain a normal pendant would not do so that was the only thing I could think of.''
''Oh Keir... I'm so sorry...'' the woman spoke placing her hand on his shoulder.
''I'm sure my mother would have wanted me to do the same thing.'' Keir replied. ''I need to keep Evadne in the starlight for a few days...''
''Let me help. That way you can still bake bread for everyone and we can take rounds so we both can get some sleep.''

Keir nodded. ''Thank you. I appreciate that. It is best too nobody else knows about Evadne's nature.''

Both agreed. ''Alright. Get some rest. You did not really get a lot of it last night either right? Love? You can return home. As long as there is light there is nothing to worry about.''

''I will stay with you. My light still works around those shadow things.'' Sophr said.

Both men nodded. Keir would not get a lot of sleep but a few hours before he could do his bread in the ovens should suffice.

Ethereal-Star

((OOC: Going to skip ahead several days to help move the story along.))

Ten days in pure, direct starlight really did seem to help immensely. Not completely, but it would have to do for now. More glow had returned to Evadne's skin and hair, her temperature had evened out to a blissfully warm body temperature, the way that Flamelings were supposed to have. Warmer than a human's in fact. Her hair seemed to sparkle with the light of thousands of twinkling suns, and she looked a lot better than before. The only thing is her powers may still be a bit weakened, but at least now she could safely use them without fear of losing control.

Near daybreak on the eleventh day, the star woman began to stir a little. Some minutes more had passed before her eyes opened, revealing their ageless depths, filled with the mysteries and wisdom of the cosmos themselves. Evadne was awake and feeling much better.

SilmeriaElemred

''Hello dear.'' It was the voice of the blacksmith's wife. A carpenter had made a bed for Evadne where she could lay on outside to rest. Keir was inside, tending to his bread that had to be done at dawn. However it had not remained quiet that Evadne was a star. Many had wanted to help and it was hard to deny the shine. But nobody openly talked about it. Fearing that one of the black army would hear.

''How are you feeling. You do look a lot better.''

Ethereal-Star

Sitting up fully, Evadne met the gaze of the blacksmith's wife and smiled at her. "I am." she replied. "Though not completely, it will have to do for now I suppose."

Lifting her face to the sky, Evadne basked a little more in the light rays from the now quickly approaching dawn, before she looked back at the other woman. "I thank you, all of you, for your help and support while I was out. It is only to be expected that I should help you in turn from the evil that plagues these lands. I will provide whatever guidance and protection I am able to."

The scent of baked bread wafted out of the small home and Evadne looked towards it, seeing Keir busy at work in the kitchen, baking bread for his bakery shop. "I hope I was not too much trouble though."

SilmeriaElemred

''Of course you weren't.'' the woman said with a giggle. Keir and I took turns watching over you. But the man can not skip his current duties or most of us will not have bread to eat. He will be delighted to hear though you've woken up. After the prince left he took you under the starry sky and prayed for help. Never saw the boy like that. However... many could not help to be worried about you and learned about what you were. Keir did not deny it either but the whole village agreed that what Keir did was better then handing you over.'' her expression grew a bit serious.

''When the king died though. A light came from the castle. Was that caused by a flameling too? The younger generations do not exactly know the stories but my great grandmother told me that the king in her time, the former king's father, had harnessed a very strong magic making him able to live for as long as he did by consuming the magic power. If that is what we need to protect you from then we will.''

Ethereal-Star

It came as no surprise to Evadne that her kin had helped in some way, small as it was though. While in her starry comatose state, she felt the connection had been a lot stronger than normal, being fully immersed in starlight as she had been. Therefore the healing and transformation was able to speed up significantly, and not just due to that. Since Keir had prayed for her well-being, the stars obliged in turn, doing what they could from afar, their light also had been more bright as a result. The luminescent woman of the cosmos lifted her gaze to them in silent thanks and above them, the multitude of lights twinkled in response for a brief moment in time.

She was not too worried about the townsfolk knowing what she is, but it did pose the risk of word getting out to the wrong ears. Not that she doubted their sincerity, but evil as she unfortunately knew had a way of making people talk when they didn't want to. But what was done was done, and they all had to move on from here. The star recalled her previous words from before and inwardly winced. Being weak as she had been, Evadne was not entirely cognizant of the words she spoke, telling Keir to let the darkness take her in order to spare the village. Now with more clarity and focus, she could clearly see again that there were other ways to deal with the matter at hand. And truth be told, such a horrid fate was something she would never want for herself anyway. No star or flameling did. There were other ways to solve this and Evadne would help, come what may.

"I understand that Keir sacrificed something precious of his in order to save me." Evadne said, turning her cosmic gaze to the woman. "I will go in to see him now, to thank him and let him know that I am alright now."

She sighed sadly at the news the other lady gave. "It is no secret among we shining ones of the black cosmos that there have been a few occurrences of such happening. Few in number they may be, but those few may well have dealt us all a great loss. For an immense tragedy it is, and will forever be, a scar among us all. One such soul has indeed met their fate in this world, and it should have never come to pass. None of them should have come to pass." Casting her eyes down in deep sorrow for several moments, the Flameling stayed like that awhile before looking up again, her blue-black eyes haunted.

"I shall go see to Keir now. I know it would greatly raise his spirits." Evadne replied, getting up off the grass.

SilmeriaElemred

''I am certain that it will. He does look tired though.'' the woman spoke as she went inside as well but waited for Evadne to speak first to surprise Keir whom was taking out some new fresh buns from the oven

Tags: