Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Prisoners of Our Own Device (M)

Started by Lion, October 19, 2015, 11:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[Tags @Morrighan  ]

To be so far away from his home, Baeon never thought he'd see the day.  But it was an effort to get away from it all.  The fighting, the grit, the blood, the death.  He had thought Serendipity would have closed its borders, but he'd found a way in.  Money in the hands of the right pockets usually made such passage easier.  He would stay in Serendipity for as long as he could afford it.

Enough time to bring some relief to his troubled mind, if that was even possible.

He'd never been to this strange green country.  The fact that magic was used to so liberally was a bit unsettling, but he was no Mordecai or priest of the Church of Ansgar.  He was a knight, and an executioner at that.  It did not bother him much longer than his first entry into this outlandish nation.  He enjoyed the quiet, and the people did not treat him as an outsider though he was.

Yes, this was just the kind of place he was looking for.  This was just the bar he was happy to have found himself in, a quiet corner in the heart of Selevea, in the last place he'd ever thought to find himself in the world.  And he was just fine.

Baeon sniffed at his whiskey in his glass.  It was definitely watered down, he could tell, but he didn't mind.  It diluted the flavor, the alcohol, and how much he could drink before feeling hammered.  He didn't mind, he was alone after all, and thankful that most of the patrons were content to keep to themselves.
He sat at a table off to the side, by the stairs where he'd come down from his room.  A favored position with his back to the wall, and able to keep an eye on the door.  Looking out for what, he didn't know.  Maybe he was just antsy that way.

"Just relax," he told himself.  "You're on vacation."  And took another sip of his watery whiskey.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Wild

A young woman entered the bar and walked over to the counter. She was dressed in a red satin gown with a deep V-shaped cut in the front, clearly accentuating her chest area. The gown was decorated with gold threads and jewels, and her dark hair was arranged in an advanced hairstyle.

She looked like a noble from head to toe, which made the barkeeper stare at her from the moment she entered. His flirtatious smile, however, quickly disappeared what she ordered.

"One glass of blood, please, and make it fast."

The voice was sweet, melodious and calm, but the expression on the woman's face clearly revealed she meant business.

The barkeeper gulped nervously. "B-but Milady, we...."

The woman sneered, withdrawing her upper lip for a moment and baring a pair of white fangs. 
"Now!"

"Yes Milady, at once..." The barkeeper nervously opened a bottle from a drawer in his counter, pouring a disgustingly red liquid into a crystal glass before offering it to the young lady. She placed a couple coins on the counter, then took the glass and turned towards the room to see if she found a vacant seat.

It was then she spotted a man seated at a table off to the side. A smile lit up her face, and she moved gracefully towards the table. Placing herself in her most favorable position, she offered the man a flirtatious gaze.

"Excuse me, good Sir," she said in her most sensual voice. "Is this seat taken?"

Lion

He had seen the woman walk in, but Baeon had learned to observe quickly and not let his eyes linger.  Most people didn't take well to being stared at.  And neither did he, that was for certain.  Baeon liked his privacy, and only wanted to afford the same courtesy to others.  Few people were keen to give such, and he learned to be thankful for small blessings.

Her conversation however was rather unusual.  Blood?  What the hell was wrong with her?  Great another crazy.

Baeon sniffed in his whiskey, smirking at the thought and taking another swig.  Or would have when said crazy just came right over.  He paused and set the glass down.  He moved across and pushed it out with his foot from beneath the table.  "By all means take the chair, milady," he said.

She just wanted the chair right? Of course.  He smiled and finally took that sip.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Wild

Flavia watched the man at the table as he sniffed in the whiskey, her soft, red lips curling up in a charming smile. When he offered her the chair, she sat down in an elegant manner, taking a sip of her glass and closing her eyes as she felt the liquid gliding down her throat.

"Thank you," she said softly, reaching her hand towards him in a greeting. "My name is Flavia, a countess of Essyrn. Whom do I have the honor of addressing?"

There was something lost in her eyes, something vulnerable. In spite of her exquisite dress and her expensive jewels, it didn't look like anything much in this life mattered to her anymore.

Lion

She wanted to sit down with him, oh.  That would explain a lot.  He straightened, setting his glass down gently, watching her sit and his line of vision falling right down to her cleavage.  The night had been rather rainy out, and in fact a clap of thunder rolled right overhead.

Wasn't she cold?

Baeon mentally slapped himself for all the delay he'd let pass between her question and his response.  "Baeon, milady."  He reached for her hand, unsure if he should kiss it.  They'd only just met after all.  Instead he squeezed it and he smiled.  "A countess of Essyrn, surely?  What are you doing in these parts?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia sat down, draping herself as decoratively to her chair as she possibly could. Noticing that his line of vision fell right down to her cleavage she made sure to puff her chest, but made sure it looked like it was completely random and innocent.

She sent him yet a beaming smile, her brown eyes sparkling under her long, dark eyelashes. Her blood-red lips curled in a dazzling smile as she looked at him in an intense, almost hypnotic gaze.

It is an honor to meet you, Sir Baeon," she said in her sweet, sensual voice. "So rarely do I meet men of honor. I am delighted to see there are still gentlemen left in this world..."

She laughed when he commented her title, a laugh devoid of the joy one might expect from a lady of the society. "Do not let my title blend you, my newfound friend," she said in a tired voice. "It is an empty title, just as empty and cold as the world it belongs to."

When he asked what she was doing here, she looked around, as if she was afraid someone might be listening in on their conversation. Then she leaned over the table, whispering low enough for only him to hear.

"I am escaping, Sir Baeon," she whispered. "Trying to forget my empty life, if not anything else, so at least for a few hours...."

There were tears in her eyes, as if she had been suffering for a long time, but been denied the right to show her emotions. Even now she looked like she tried to hold back, fighting her tears.

Lion

Baeon managed somehow to look at her face.  Despite only just meeting her, something struck him as just not right about this woman.  She was friendly, no doubt, and it did not seem to irk him in a negative way.  In fact, if anything, it intrigued him.  He found himself sitting straighter rather than leaning back in his chair like he was.  He leaned in, elbows propped before him and gingerly held the whiskey in his other hand.

"I hope you find the escape that you seek," he answered with a smile.  "It's a long way to come for a drink.  The whiskey is very good.  You should try it.  It helps me find my escape.  But something strikes me as curious..."  He sipped his glass, head tilted.

"Sir?  And what makes you think I am Sir Baeon?" He was curious, tilting his head as he did not recall mentioning such a thing.  He was a knight of course, but it seemed like such an odd thing to say upon first meeting.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia smirked inwardly as she saw the man looking at her face. She liked him looking at her, and she sent him warm flirtatious glances when she calmly sipped her drink - nothing over the top, but trying to be friendly enough, hoping to catch his interest.

"Thank you," she replied gently to his wish that she found the escape she sought, attempting to give his hand a gentle squeeze across the table to show her appreciation. Another smile lit up her face when he spoke of the whiskey being good here. "Wonderful, it may be what I order next...."

She perked her ears when he said that something was striking her as curious. "Curious?" she asked gently. "What would strike you as curious? I am fond of curiosities..."

She chuckled with laughter when he asked why she thought he was Sir Baeon.

"I know nothing of your titles or your work, my friend," she said calmly. "I am in the habit of calling men if titles I don't know Sir. I was raised to never address people just by using the simple term "you there", as it may appear rude and less respectful. You introduced yourself as Baeon when I arrived, but you did not mention your work or profession. Thus, when I addressed you, I called you Sir Baeon. It's rather common really. If you for example had introduced yourself as Baeon, Professor of Whatever-name Academy, I would have called you Professor Baeon. "

Lion

If it really was just a coincidence that she be correct, Baeon was astonished and quite pleased with it.  So pleased in fact that he suddenly threw his head back in loud laughter.  Not that anyone looked his way, people were too deep in their conversations to give a damn.  Which suited him just fine.  His entire body tilted back in the chair, with such force that it balanced for three seconds on the two back legs, before slamming hard on the floor, lifting dust upon landing.

"Then I'll count that as my fortune," he said, sobering, although his face hurt from all that smiling.

"I can't imagine myself being the professor of anything, much less that of an academy.  But I understand your sentiment.  I'm not sure if you'll be pleasantly surprised, but you've got luck on your side, good lady.  I do happen to be a Sir Baeon.  I am ...was a knight."  He smiled a little, blushed over his whiskey before it was the drink that rosied his cheeks.

"I am sorry...for laughing so hard.  I'm not usually so uncouth.  Especially not in front of a beautiful woman such as yourself."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

A smirk crossed Flavia's face when she saw the man in front of her throwing his head back in loud laughter. Many men were surprised to find out she had a brain to think with. Sometimes it seemed like they believed that beautiful women couldn't think.

She had no idea why Baeon laughed, but she liked to watch him as he laughed out loudly. He had a rather handsome face, and she loved to see how it changed when he laughed. Suddenly his chair tilted backwards, slamming hard on the floor.

"Careful now, Sir," she smiled and looked over at him with mirth in her eyes. "The chair may topple over if you are not careful, and the lovely whiskey may get spilled. A waste of good liquid, don't you think, Sir?"

She smiled when he told her he was a knight, giving him a deep curtsy. "And a most galant one at that," she said as she sent him yet a flirtatious glance. "Handsome too... But you say you were a knight. Past tense? What happened, if I may be so free to ask?"

There was a warm tone in her voice, her eyes looking up at him while expressing sympathy. If he had burdens that needed to be relieved, she would be more than willing to listen to his woes.
Her soft lips curled in a smile when he called her a beautiful woman, apologizing for laughing so hard.

"Thank you. Please, don't apologize for laughing. I think you look quite handsome when you laugh like that... I rarely hear laughter in my own life, so I find pleasure in other people's happiness."

Lion

He smiled back, shrugging off the compliment.  "You are too kind, truly," he murmured, considering another sip and leaving the glass at that.  He looked her over, eyes peering into her otherwordly ones.  He sniffed the air.  One thing was for certain, she was not human.  No human could drink blood in the glass, no human would look at him like that.

But why was she speaking him of all people?  Was she here with some ulterior motive?

He sat back against his chair once more, observing her now much more closely.  "It is an overly long and boring tale," he said quietly, index finger roving over the rim of the glass.  "But you, I would like to know more of you, Countess.  Why are you so empty?  Unhappy?  You seem so out of place here in this Serenian city."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia smiled when the man shrugged off her compliment. "Not the least, Sir," she replied. "I am just honest..." Noticing when he looked her over, she made sure to place her body in a favorable position, trying to look her best and most beautiful. She peered into his eyes under long, dark eyelashes, trying to send him a flirtatious glance and a sweet smile.

She had no ulterior motives for speaking to him, other than her need of company and - if she was lucky - maybe even a lover. But she wanted a man that came to her bed willingly, not because she forced him. She didn't count flirtatious invites as cheating though...

She chuckled with laughter when he spoke of his own story as a long and boring tale. "I can't imagine there are anything boring about you, Sir," she replied. "You seem so strong and brave, so filled with mystery and romance. I bet a man like you will have lots of girls standing in line for a smile or a kiss or a romantic evening..."

Her eyes saddened when he asked why she was so empty and unhappy, but she tried to keep her voice cheerful to not appear too miserable. "Oh, the usual," she replied. "Like so many girls of our time I was forced into a marriage with a man I don't love. It seems he was forced to marry me as well, and now he is punishing me for being his wife..."

She wondered if she should tell him of her recent turning to a vampire. She had just met him, and did not know how much he was willing to take in at once. Perhaps it was better to wait with that part... But the unhappy marriage part was okay to speak about. This man looked like a galant knight. The type who would probably try to save a lady in distress. Soon she would find out if she was right in her speculations...

Lion

She certainly laid the flattery on rather thick didn't she.  He could tell when she was flirting with him. Or as much as he could fathom anyone would want to flirt with him.  Something about her didn't seem quite as ungenuine as he might have originally assumed.  He relaxed in front of her.  And he looked her over, eyes drifting up from her bosom to her neck and finally her chin and her lips.  They were luscious and well rounded and he wondered at the teeth that hid behind them.

Because if there was one thing he could sense, she was definitely not human.

Baeon didn't seem as interested in his drink anymore at leaat not initially.  His current company made him curious.  "I'm sorry," he said. "Is your husband really so terrible? What about him makes him so?"  He wasn't interested in defending her husband, but he wondered if what truly brought her all this way was her loveless marriage.

"Why would anyone wish to punish a lovely creature such as yourself?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia smiled as she saw the man relaxing in front of her. As his eyes looked her over from her bosom to her neck, chin and lips, she made sure to sit in a position that showed all her feminine curves in the most favorably manner. Her brown eyes twinkled, sending him an expression flirtatious and inviting at the same time. Her luscious lips parted and she ran the tiny tip of her tongue gently over her front teeth.

Her teeth were pearly white and just as pretty as the rest of her. Her fangs were there, but they were not as large as she had seen them on other vampires. They could do damage if she wished to, but she was not seeking to bite anyone now. She was here to seek company for the night. If Lady Luck was willing she might perhaps even find a lover.

The man she had in front of her seemed galant and kind, and she showed him her interest. If he wanted to hit on her she would not reject him, but rather welcome his advances. Glancing over his body  she liked what she saw, and she wondered how it would feel to make love to this man.

A hint of sadness appeared in her eyes when he spoke of her husband, and for a moment she resembled a child lost in the woods. "Everyone thinks my husband is a handsome, goodlooking and kind man," she said, looking anxiously around to see if any of her husband's henchmen had followed her here. But for now everything seemed normal.

"Only... once we are alone, this deception vanishes, and he shows his true face... Normal as he may seem on the outside, he is really a monster... He is cold and cruel and brutal. He seeks every chance he can get to punish me..."

She pulled up her sleeve a bit, showing dark bruises on her arms. The bruises showed someone had grabbed the young woman and shook her violently.

"He did not want this marriage, Sir Baeon," she whispered. "But if he divorce me he will lose a yearly income of 3 000 gold coins. He is furious for this, and he hates me."

Lion

To hear about such abuse and to actually see the results of it were two different things, and yet both of them sent chills of unease seeping into his gut.  Baeon had all but forgotten about his drink as he leaned forward and took her arm delicately in his hand to better examine the bruises.  She was not human indeed, this much he could tell from her, but the fact that she would allow herself to suffer such abuse said volumes.  This man was her husband, and she did not fight back...

"My lady, if I were in your place, I would sooner be a widow than to subject myself to the tyranny of another undeserving of my heart,"  he frowned and set her arm down.  "You're not human...  I can...uh, sense, that about you.  You're much stronger than you seem, so why let yourself remain as his wife?"  He shook his head, pushing hair away from his face.

"Er, sorry, it really isn't my place to ask," he said with a laugh.  "I suppose you could say I'm doing as much escaping here as you are.  This is my first time in Serendipity, and I'm enjoying my stay so far.  Maybe even more now that I get to gaze upon a beautiful creature like you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

The warmth of Lord Baeon's hand against her own felt nice, and she wished the touch of his hand could have lasted for much longer. She allowed him to examine the bruises, to see what kind of vile creature her husband truly was. Her own father had turned her away when she came to him to complain about her marital woes, and as time went on and her marriage got worse she started seeking sympathy where she could get it. It no longer mattered to her if the man she sought sympathy from was rich or poor, powerful or common. All she asked for now was at least a little bit of kindness, and - if she was lucky - a warm embrace for a longer or shorter period of time.

She lowered her gaze when the man in front of her spoke of being a widow if he had been in Flavia's place. "That is the problem, Mylord," she replied wistfully, tears brimming up her big, brown eyes. "I can't divorce my husband. My father is a man of noble family, and my husband belongs to another powerful family. As long as I stay married to my husband, my in-laws will protect my village from harm and keep the villagers safe. If I leave, I will break the contract, and I fear it will be an excuse for the two families to start a war against each other. I can't bare the thought of seeing innocent people getting butchered because of something I have done. I am a lady, Mylord - not a killer..."

She smiled shyly when he spoke of sensing that she was not human. "I used to be human once," she said. "But not anymore. Don't be afraid of me though. I am not dangerous. I am just a bird in a golden cage - bound to a man I don't love. All I want is company of a warm and caring soul who can show me that there is still warmth and kindness left in this world..."

She sent him a sad face expression when he asked why she remained as her husband's wife. "If it was up to me, I would have left him already," she said. "He is so much stronger than what I am. But for the people of my town to stay safe and alive, I have to sacrifice my freedom. As long as they are kept safe from war and hunger, it is a small price to pay..."

She smiled when he spoke of doing as much escaping as she was, her smile widening when he said he enjoyed his stay even more now that she was here. "Perhaps we could escape together then," she smiled and looked up at him with warmth in her brown eyes, reaching out a slender hand and trailed her finger lightly over his hand. "I think I know a way of getting back at my husband, but I may need your help..."

Her gaze rested upon him, hypnotic and mysterious at the same time, and her soft lips curled into a smile.

Lion

In truth, her plight moved him.  Baeon didn't know why, but he felt some semblance of empathy for her.  She was stuck in a position she could not help, not without incurring the wrath of forces greater than she.  Or that was his impression of it.  Baeon felt trapped by his own circumstance, disgraced in vocation, untrusting of his own loyalties.  He dropped his head and fell silent for a time.  He could not look at her, despite her presence being quite powerful in a time like this.

He stared at his drink, and the ice that melted away in it.  He took it in hand once again and downed the rest of the watered-down whiskey.  Best to not let that go to waste, he thought.  In the end, they were all just melting ice cubes, no?

"Escape together," he murmured, mulling the notion over in his mind.  "I don't know if I'm the soul that bears the kindness you seek."  He gave her a small smirk.  "But I would be happy to further stay in your company for the evening, friend." 

He put his hand over hers and gave her a smile in turn, turning his hand into hers so their palms were touching.  Cool to the touch, no pulse.  If he didn't know any better he'd say she was a vampire.  That would explain the smell.

He laughed at that though, though she might know why by looking at him.  "Do you want to get out of here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia watched the man as he dropped his head and fell silent. She didn't know what went through his mind, but she felt some strange form for empathy for him.

As he stared at his drink, she couldn't even fathom to imagine how he felt or what plights that troubled him so, but she knew that if she could she would be willing to make him forget.

She placed her hand gently over his vacant hand as he downed his watered-down whiskey. "I don't know what you have been through, my friend," she said. "But if you need to forget as much as I do, I suggest we try to help each other at least for a few hours...."

She smiled when he spoke of being the soul that bears the kindness she was seeking. "You are far better company than the man my parents forced me to marry," she said gently. "At least you are kind and sympathetic. You have been nothing but gentle from the moment I arrived, and for that I am grateful..."

She enjoyed the feel of his hand over hers, smiling to him as he turned his hand to make their palms touch. His hands were warmer than hers, and they had pulse. But Flavia was not here to hunt today. She merely sought some friendly companion. Her eyes twinkled towards him when he asked if she wanted to get out of here, and she linked his fingers with his in a gentle caress.

"I would love to," she replied gently. "I just don't have anywhere to go. But I'll be happy to come with you where ever you wish..."

Lion

He looked down at their intertwined hands and he felt something squirm in his belly, a jolt and he let his thumb roll over her knuckles and he stood. "I think I have a place where we might be alone.  Upstairs," he said with a gesture of his head.  He tucked her hand in the crook of his arm.

And gave nothing else a glance as he led them both upstairs.  Once before his door, he opened it gently,  and allowed her to enter first before softly closing the door behind them.

It was a quaint room, comfortably furnished for what it was, with a hearth and a soft sofa and a bed on the side.  "Home sweet home.  For now anyway," he said, smiling and moving toward the hearth.  He knelt before it and put in kindling, scraping sparks into it and starting a small blaze.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Wild

Flavia smiled softly as she looked down at their intertwined hands, a soft smile beaming up her face when he let his thumb roll over her knuckles. She caressed his hand gently as she stood up from the chair, a silent token of appreciation that he wasn't scared away by her presence.

"Upstairs will be fine," she replied softly as he tucked her hand in the crook of his arm, allowing him to lead her away from the bar.

As he led her into his room, she stepped inside and looked around. The room was quaint and comfortably furnished. A bit more simple than what she was used to, but she preferred this humble place with this kind and noble man before silk sheets and being brutally raped by a fierce and violent husband.

"What a nice and cozy room you have," she smiled as she watched him starting a small blaze by the hearth. "Warm and comfortable, just the way I like it..."

Tags: