Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hunter in the night [M] [ @Draconian ]

Started by Wild, November 07, 2015, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild

Nighttime had fallen by the time Wild finally reached the Coastal Serendipity and the Seaside Town of Cerenis. She was a ranger now, thanks to her friend Kilarhas who had saved her from the gallows and given her a new start in life. She had chosen to become a ranger like him, and to travel the world like he did.

This was one of the first missions without him - a mission where she was supposed to chase down a dangerous man and bring him to justice. He had been worse than her. In addition to being a thief he was also a murderer. Wild had never killed anyone in her life - though she had to admit she wanted to.

Quietly she made her way into the town, following the tracks her prey had left behind. It wasn't hard to trace him to the middleclass parts of town, where the ordinary people lived. It had started raining by the time she got there, the rainwater washing away the footprints she had followed so far.

"Crap," she hissed, seeing how the tracks were washed away by rainwater.

Then she looked around, and her mood brightened again. There were only two houses in this neighborhood: the one on the left and the one on the right. He could only be inside one of them - there was nowhere else to hide. But which one?

"I don't have much choice," she sighed at last. "I go check the one on the left first. If I am mistaken, I will just have to sneak out again and go for the right one. It's not as if he knows I am after him, so he has no reason to escape."

Her decision made, she grabbed her long rope and grappling hook, tossing the grappling hook towards the balcony of the left house. She tugged at the rope a couple times to make sure the grip was secure, then she started climbing towards the balcony.

Her feet landed softly on the ground, and she pulled the rope up after her, packing rope and grappling hook back into her bags before she quietly moved towards the balcony door leading inside the house. A light touch confirmed that the door was locked, but she had expected it.

Pulling out her trusty lockpicks she quietly started working on the door. She heard a soft click of metal as the lock opened, and she put the lockpicks back into her bags before quietly opening the door and sneaking inside the house. She made certain to close the door behind her. No gush of wind was allowed to reveal she was here....

Draconian

Cadreinths eyes snapped open and he sat up carefully, pushing a hand through his opal hair before he heaved a sigh and looking out into the dark room. Something had woken him up from a dead sleep and he frowned deeply, still tired. He held his breath and waited, though he heard nothing. No one was told of his little venture except for a select few so no one should have come here.

Still no sound, though he found himself crawling out of his bed, taking careful steps forward.

It didn't occur to him to pull pants on. Or maybe the fact he didn't want to confront an intruder naked didn't quite sink in. Cadreinth balled his hands into fists, little flicks of electricity snapping from his fingers. Another few silent steps and there, in the hallway leading to the balcony. A figure.

He frowned and flicked his fingers.

"You really picked the wrong house to break into," His voice was cold and he tossed his head, pulling his hair from his face before he grabbed a lantern nearby and flicked a bit of magic to the wick, a lick of flame burning brightly quickly enough.

Frowning deeply he stared at the girl, "Just who are you and why are you in my house?"

Wild

Wild had just finished gathering her belongings when some sort of light was switched on, and she heard a voice behind her.

You really picked the wrong house to break into

Wild's eyes widened, and she whirled around, partially expecting to see the angered face of the villain she was chasing. Her boss had described him to her, so she knew what he looked like. But it wasn't him she looked at.

Wait, that is not the man I was sent to catch.... Something is wrong here...

Instead she caught a glimpse of opal hair, a tall and rather handsome-looking man who was completely.... naked.

What he would see in the flickering light was a slender elf girl of average height, with long, dark hair flowing around her head in silky curls. Her skin was pale and she had dark, beautiful almond-shaped eyes surrounded by long, dark eyelashes.  Her lips were soft and rosy, and at the moment she was blushing as her gaze rested on his naked form. From her reaction it was clear that she had never seen a naked man before.

Finally she realized she had been staring and forced herself to snap out of it. Turning her gaze politely away, she finally spoke, responding to his fully reasonable question of what she was doing here.

"I am a ranger, hunting for a creep that has killed around 5 women in Wester Highlands. I followed his traces to this neighborhood before the tracks were washed away by rain."

She sighed deeply, meeting his gaze.

"Like you said yourself, I really picked the wrong house to break into. Sorry for the interruption..."

Draconian

A slim pale eyebrow rose and while he was embarrassed about forgetting to pull on pants, his current situation didn't really allow for him to go get some pants. Cadreinth frowned at the woman before she started to speak and what she said baffled him.

Just what was a single person doing going after a murderer?

One who'd killed five people no less.

Then he froze and just stared at her.

"Here?" He waved his hand in the general area, staring at her before he stared her down. Taking steps closer, not really caring about the fact he was as naked as a babe. While he wasn't amazingly fit, he was too fit to simply do paperwork, his skin pale and he stared down at the girl before he grabbed her arm and dragged her into his bedroom to which he quickly pulled on a pair of loose pants, tying them up.

Never for a second did he take his eyes off of her.

"You think I'm just going to let you, a single person, go after a known murderer?" Which sounded suspicious. Cadreinth sighed and pressed his hand to his face, staring at her, wondering just how to deal with this unique situation. Apparently his guards hadn't done a good a job as they should have. A murderer, so close him?

Laughable.

"You're ... A ranger?" Cadreinth had no idea what that was, growing up to be a High Lord, he had little knowledge of the more... Humble origins of people. "That means? What, exactly? You can use a bow?" He gave a condescending clap of his hands, still frowning at her, "What exactly makes you think you can take on someone who's killed five people." A tilt of his head, "Your sneaking skills?"

While she was probably a good sneaker, Cadreinth had always been a light sleeper in unfamiliar places. Which was an unfortunate turn of events for the girl.

"I would like your name, please, Miss.Ranger."

Wild

Trying to look everywhere else than the lower front part of his body, Wild noticed the man raising a slim pale eyebrow when she spoke of the escaped murderer. She knew that some people might see it as folly to go after a murderer alone, but she would not risk anyone else to be hurt in this hunt. In her past she had learned to protect herself, and though she wasn't physically strong she was fast and accurate with her bow and arrows. And above all: Her past as a Master thief and catburglar had learned her to move quietly around, never drawing attention to herself.

She nodded briefly when he asked if she had followed the murderer here. Or rather, his tracks, as the murders obviously had happened before she was assigned the mission. 

"Yes, he should be either in this house or the neighbor house. As you know there are only twoooooo....."

Her deduction was cut short as the man grabbed her arm, and before she could stop him she was dragged into his bedroom. She was relieved however, that he did not take advantage of having a young woman in his bedroom, but merely wished to keep an eye on him while getting dressed. She turned her gaze politely away, not wishing to cause more embarrassment for him than she already had.

"I only know what my boss told me, Sir," she said, trying to break the ice. "He is called The Weasel. He has a Z-formed scar on his left cheek, and I was told it was a result of a duel with one of the city guards who tried to catch him after the first murder. I have been told that the women he killed were all young and beautiful, and he did unmentionable things to them too. That's why there is a ransom on his head. I was told to be extremely cautious, Sir."

She blushed when he asked if she was a ranger. She was still new to the job and had much yet to learn. "At least an apprentice to become a ranger, Sir," she confirmed. "This was to be my first test, and they will give me the job if I pass. I am still new. The rangers are working to keep the world safe and protect people from harm. That's why I am here. I want to catch the killer before more people get hurt."

She nodded when he asked if she could use a bow. "Most of my kind can use a bow, Sir," she said, referring to her pointy ears, revealing that she was an elf. "I have been taught the arts of archery every since I learned how to walk."

A brief smile washed over her face when he spoke of her sneaking skills, self irony and a dry sense of humor twinkling in her dark eyes.  "You wouldn't believe it when you see me now, after catching me entering your house," she said. "But I once used to be a Master thief and a professional catburglar. I escaped my former Masters though, and now I try to start a new life as a ranger. Perhaps my boss thought of my past when he assigned me this mission. He thinks my former profession may come in handy when it comes to sneaking up on the Weasel to catch him."

She nodded briefly when he asked for her name. It was a reasonable demand after catching her sneaking into his home. At least she was not here to steal on someone's orders this time.

"My name is Wild, Sir, and I was born in the village of Mir."

Draconian

Most of her kind could use a bow.

Cadreinth's fingers moved up to his own ears unconsciously, the little delicate points. The telltale truth of his less than human heritage, though it was just for show. He was neither elf nor fae, simply a human with ancestry. Though he supposed she was right. He could use a bow.

"I'm sure you're a grand thief," He flashed her an amused smile, "You happened to catch me in an unfamiliar place," He looked down at her pants before he licked his lips and shook his head, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes for a moment. Half of him was waiting to be stabbed in the guts while his eyes were closed but he was pleasantly surprised when that didn't happen.

"I'm afraid I'd never heard of this man, nor have I seen him," Then again, Cadreinth had been spending most of his time reading and drinking tea and generally just being lazy and it had been wonderful. Giving his daughter and his son-in-law some time alone in the manor in Jadenshine. Maybe by the time he got back the announcement of his impending grandfather hood would be there.

Probably not though.

"Well, My Little Wild One. I am Cadreinth, High..." He paused, going quiet after a moment. Did he want her to know he was a High Lord? Would she kill him? Steal his house? Cadreinth licked his lips and shifted his weight, staring out the window, lit from the inside by the soft glow of the lamp he'd lit in the hallway.

"My name is Cadreinth. Born in the Province of Jadenshine." A tilt of his head, "if you promise not to kill and rob me or die tonight you're free to go." He put a hand on his hip and smirked at her, "Feel free to come for tea and breakfast tomorrow." Mostly it was added in jest, mostly. Still, a small part of him wanted her to agree. This had been one of the more exciting nights in the last ten years and he looked her up and down, trying to commit her features to memory.

His Little Wild One. Cadreinth smirked. What an odd name.

Wild

Following the movement of his fingers up to his ears with her gaze, a smile lit up her face. Sparks lit in her eyes when she noticed that also he had pointy ears. For the last 13 years she had thought she was the only one of her kind left in this world. Her former Masters had told her so. She was glad to learn they had lied.

"But I shouldn't have to tell you this, Sir," she laughed. "Since you obviously are one of us."

She blushed when she saw the amused smile on his face when he spoke of her skills as a thief. Yet his smile made her sense of humor take over, and she smiled a bit embarrassed.

"I used to be," she confirmed. "Not anymore though. I promised Kilarhas I would never steal again when he saved me from the gallows..."

She had never seen a shirtless man before, so the glances she threw in his general direction were shy. Her blushing cheeks only confirmed the impression of a young woman not used to being around men wearing their birthday suits. She was relieved that he at least had put on a pair of pants.

She nodded when he said he had never heard of this man or seen him. "Now that you know he is in your neighborhood, you should take precautions to protect yourself, Sir," she said. "He is extremely dangerous. My boss has told me that he likes to sneak up on his victims from behind and kill them before they know he is there. I hope to catch him before he can do more harm though."

She smiled when he introduced himself as Cadreinth High. She had a feeling his last name was cut short. Perhaps it was a part of his native language? She had not yet been around all of this world, so she wouldn't know. He said he was born in the Province of Jadenshine. The name sounded like a fairytale and brought a smile to her face. She still remembered the stories her mother used to tell her, even if she had only been 5 years old when her parents died.

"Nice to meet you, Cadreinth of Jadenshine," she smiled, giving him a deep curtsy. At least she still remembered some of the manners her parents had struggled to teach her in her early childhood. She had been a rambunctious child, earning the nickname Little Hurricane.

She laughed when he allowed her to go if she promised not to kill or rob him or die tonight. "I am no killer, Sir," she tried to reassure him. "My orders are to catch The Weasel and bring him to justice. The nearest Court will take care of him as soon as I drop him off, as they are eager to get him sentenced as soon as possible. Your belongings are safe as I have promised my friend Kilarhas to never steal again. I am a ranger now - or rather, I will be if I pass the test..."

She smiled when he asked her to return for tea and breakfast tomorrow. So rarely had she been invited into someones home. She tried to remember last time this had happened, but could only remember faded images from when her parents still lived.

"Yes please, I would love to come," she replied. "I have to catch The Weasel first and bring him to the court house. That may take a few hours. Then I have to bring him to the Court house, which should be no problem if I manage to tie him up properly. Should we say I pop in around nine tomorrow morning?"

Draconian

Nine tomorrow.

Cadreinth's eyebrows rose and he stared at her for a good few moments.

She was so quick to return to a strangers house.

A moments pause and he wondered just how he'd feel in his daughter just flounced off with a stranger. The consensus was 'not so good'. Still, he knew he wasn't a bad guy and just smiled at her for a few moments before shaking his head and wishing he could take his pants back off.

Couldn't though because of company.

Cadreitnth cleared his throat and nodded, "Yes. Nine tomorrow. I'll make sure to have breakfast made and tea ready to brew." Of all the things he'd been expecting to happen while he was away from home, this wasn't even a possibility. Not even a consideration. It made him want to chuckle, though it would seem rude so he just kept the strange smile on his face.

"Good luck with your The Weasel then." He nodded towards the stairs, "You can use the front door if you like."

Wild

Wild noticed his eyebrow rose when she promised to return at nine tomorrow. Even if he was a stranger, there was something about him that made her like him. He did not have dangerous eyes like Master or Igor. He looked kind....

And so far he had not done anything to harm her.

She smiled one of her rare smiles, the slow smile that slowly lit up her entire face until it reached her eyes, making her shine like the sun.

"Nine tomorrow it is then. After a night like this I will really enjoy a nice meal. Thank you again for the offer."

She was relieved that he allowed her to use the front door on her way out, smiling as he wished her good luck with the Weasel.

"Thank you, Sir, I have a feeling I will need it..."

With a laughter she found her way to the front door, turning to wave at her host and then disappeared into the night, just as quietly as she had arrived.

She closed the door silently behind her and started moving quietly towards the second house. The Weasel had clearly not been in the house on the left - then it was only the house on the right to search. He had to be there. He could not be anywhere else.

She snuck quietly towards the house and studied it. This house had barred windows - a sign that nobody had lived there for quite a while. Well then, she would have to use the door. Silently she found her trusted lockpicks in her bag, and started working on the metal in the lock. She heard a soft click, and when she touched the handle, the door opened.

The next things happened fast. She heard a rustle of fabrics and the shouting voice of a man, speaking a language she did not understand. Before she could catch him he had pulled out his weapons and fired two arrows in her general direction.

Wild cried out in pain when she was hit. One arrow hit her in the chest area, the other in her shoulder. As she sank to the ground, the man ran towards her, pushed her brutally away and escaped. She thought she managed to cry out for help when she was shot, but she was not sure that anyone heard her.

The she-elf laid on the stairs to the house in a puddle of her own blood. Her face was pale from shock and the loss of blood. Then the pain became too much for her, and she fainted.

Draconian

The last thing Cadreinth had wanted to hear was noises. Let alone pained noises.

He found himself topless and barefoot outside shortly and there, on the ground a pale beacon in the night was his Little Wild One. Having only met the girl he wasn't as horrified as he could have been but finding her like that after she's been so confident hit him like a stone and he quickly rushed over, looking around quickly to make sure they were alone.

Cadreinth quickly went to work, tending to her the best he could. He removed the arrows carefully, pressing to the wounds until the blood stopped flowing. Of course he had to remove her shirt to tend to the wounds but it was hardly sexual. Cadreinth was hardly a nurse and he did the best he could while slightly panicked.

When Wild woke up, she'd be in his cushiony bed, the sheets pulled up to her neck wearing nothing but her smallclothes. Cadreinth asleep, much like she saw him the night before - wearing pants and not much else. Bent over the bed, his head resting on her thigh and her hand firmly held in his own pale one.

Wild

When Wild finally woke up, it was to an inferno of pain. Slowly opening her eyes, she was surprised to find that she was in a.... bedroom? Her eyes darted wide open, and in panic she looked down her body to see that her clothes were gone...

Well, almost all her clothes... Relief washed over her when she discovered she was still in her small clothes, and she sank back into the bed...

Wait a minute....

There had been no bed where she had been attacked. She remembered a house robbed of furniture, a cold, empty shell. But now she was in a warm and soft bed, her wounds had been bandaged, and the man she had learned to know as Cadreinth bent over the bed, his head resting peacefully on her thigh and his hand firmly holding hers.

Her eyes softened as she looked at him. Not everyone would have risked their lives to run out in the night, risking the wrath of the Weasel, just to save a little elf girl not smart enough to protect herself with some sort of armour before chasing after a mass murderer.

Lifting her free hand, she gently caressed his hair as he slept, whispering a gentle "thank you". Then her eyes slowly closed, and she slept peacefully the rest of the night....

Draconian

Cadreith sat up with a start, eyes snapping open and he stared down at the hand in his. On the body his head had been resting on. Sleep clouded his vision an his head dipped forward after it tried to claim him again. What a terrible sleep. A look out the window told him it was still night time and after spending a moment or two to listen to his Little Wild One's breathing he moved to the other side of the bed and pulled the sheets back.

Body heat would do her good, right?

The bed would do him good and it was for entirely selfish reasons he curled up against te little elf's side. A hand rested lightly at her waist and his head was on the pillow beside hers, soon enough he was asleep again.

It wasn't until the birds were chirping their happy tunes that his eyes fluttered open and he didn't want to move for fear of waking up the girl. It occurred to him how inappropriate he as being, but the bed was comfortable and Cadreinth was used to the finer things in life.

Wild

Wild was still asleep when she felt the sheets were pulled back beside her. Remembering that she was still in this bedroom with Cadreinth and not at the horrible orphanage with a Master who tried to abuse the poor kids, she continued her sleep. This bed was big enough for the both of them, and she doubted Cadreinth would be as evil as her former Masters...

Little did she know that in this moment - in the very same orphanage where she had been imprisoned for the last 13 years, evil minds were focused on tracking her down, forcing her to come back to them. Master was seething with anger, and at this moment he was giving his servant Igor orders to find the she-elf and catch her at all costs...

(Ooc: I created Master's character a couple days ago and thought I could put him to use in this plot. Hope you don't mind ^^ )

Happily unaware of her former Master's plans, Wild rested safely in this warm and comfortable bed. She didn't mind feeling the warm body of Cadreinth against her own - she was still feeling a bit cold after so many hours in the rain. She smiled when she felt his light hand at her waist, feeling safe in his presence.

The next time she woke up, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping. In her sleep she had snuggled closer to Cadreinth, nuzzling her face against his chest as if she felt safe there. She had one arm wrapped gently around his body, the other arm around his neck, like a child hugging a much beloved teddy bear.

Draconian

(add whatever plot bits you like! =D )

With a soft gasp, Cadreinth woke up. Green-gold eyes snapping open and staring up at the ceiling. It was odd for his daughter to crawl into bed with him, but he pulled her closer all the same and nuzzled against her hair. Probably a very bad dream. Gardenia hadn't had one of those in so many years. It took a few moments for the sleep to wear off but once he did he remembered he wasn't home and that the girl whose hair he was nuzzling into was not his daughter.

Cadreinth froze, leaning away.

Gently he pulled away from her, trying his best not to wake her before he slipped from the bed. Tucking the sheets to his chin before he stood up and away, staring at her for a few moments and shaking his head. What had he taken into his home?

Besides a mess.

Gently he let out a breath and exited the room. Making breakfast was a chore, but at least if it was for two people it'd be worth it. The positioning of the sun told him it was far past nine in the morning and he simply shrugged. Breakfast was simple and on a tray that he carried to the room after some time and a lot of noise.

Cadreinth would pretend the kitchen had been a mess when he went in there.

"Little Wild One?" His voice was soft and he stood in the doorway, wearing a loose cotton robe. "Are you hungry?"

Wild

(Thank you :D I also spoke to Silvertongue who plays Master's helper Igor. I'll PM you about some plot ideas )

Having lost her parents at the age of only 5, Wild felt safe for the first time in ages as she felt a pair of arms around her. Dreaming of her parents she snuggled closer to the strong, warm body beside her, smiling in her sleep when she felt someone nuzzled against her hair. It took her a while to wake up enough to remember that her  parents had died several years ago and that the man she snuggled up against was not her father.

She pretended to be asleep as she felt the man freezing, leaning away. She did not wish for him to feel embarrassed, and perhaps it was also an attempt to save herself from embarrassment. She sighed a bit inwardly when he moved away, getting out of bed. He was such a good warming bottle.

He was gone for quite a while, and Wild hoped he was not outside, throwing up in the bushes after what had recently happened. But then she heard him in what she assumed would be the kitchen, and smiled when she remembered his promise of breakfast.

A pair of dark, sleepy eyes opened and looked in Cadreinth's direction when he called her name. A tiny smile appeared on her face, as if she was apologizing for causing so much trouble. She gazed at him when he stood there in the doorway wearing his loose cotton robe.

"Is that you, Sir Cadreinth?" she said. "I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!"

Her eyes  popped wide open when she realized what she just had blurted out with. A deep blush colored her cheeks and she hid her face behind her hands.

Draconian

"That can be remedied," Cadreinth teased, a light blush on his cheeks. If he were a more caring man he'd be worried about such a young girl seeing him naked. He had been well within his rights to be undressed in his own home. The tray still in his hands he moved to the bed, setting it down in front of the girl and sitting on the bed.

It was set for two and he gave the girl a slow look, taking in her features in the light. Cadreinth found himself enchanted by the girl and he quickly turned his attention back to the breakfast. It was a simple feast. An egg, a slice of ham, some cut up fried bits of potato and buttered toast. He's made sure the chef had stocked the enchanted cool box before he left for a few days and Cadreinth took a bite of his toast.

"Well, here's the breakfast." He looked down at it, chewing thoughtful. "How are you feeling, Little Wild One?"

Wild

Wild giggled when she noticed the light blush on Cadreinths cheeks. Not to mock him, but because he was kinda cute when he blushed that way. She knew very well that it was her own fault that she had seen him naked. She had broken into his home, thinking that was where the Weasel had been hiding. Instead she had found Cadreinth there.

She sat up in the bed, whimpering a bit in pain when she moved in a way that was painful for the wounds impacted on her by the Weasel.

"Thank you," she said as Cadreinth sat down on her bed, glad to have company while she ate. "Oh, this looks delicious!"

She nibbled on her food and savored the taste. Even if this was a simple feast it was way better than the food she had been used to at the orphanage. Swallowing a tiny bit of the egg she tried to find out how she felt.

"It feels like I've been trampled down by a flock of horses," she replied. "And my head hurts. What happened last night? I didn't get to catch the Weasel, did I?"

There was a tiny hint of disappointment over herself in her voice when she spoke. The Weasel was her test - if she had managed to catch him she would perhaps get the chance to work for the Rangers. But who would want her working for them if she failed a mission like this?

"Thank you for saving me, though.... I notice you have patched me up...."

Draconian

"You did not," He started. A little frown and a tilt of his head.

"In fact, as you can obviously see, they left you for dead." Cadreinth reached over, holding her shoulder to examine the patch work he did. It wasn't amazing but it did the job. "You're lucky they didn't finish the job," Gentle he reached to tuck some hair behind her ear, his finger tips grazing the delicate little point to her ear. While she was clearly elfy, Cadreinth had a smaller less noticeable point to his ears, hidden behind his mop of opal hair.

"So. I guess you're going to be my guest for a few days," He smiled and tilted his head, giving her a curious look.

Wild

Wild sighed when it was confirmed that she had not been able to catch the  Weasel. "I was afraid of that," she sighed deeply. "The Rangers will never take me in now that I have failed their test. I feel like an idiot - I had one tiny job, a chance of a new life - and I blew it!"

She tried to facepalm, but winced from pain because of the bump in her head. "Owww," she grinned. "I can't even facepalm without hurting. What did he hit me with - a Morning Star?"

She sat still when Cadreinth held her shoulder to inspect his patch work, allowing him to inspect the bandages. "Well, I think I felt a bit dead when he left," she replied. "I didn't get to see much of him. A dark silhouette. Then I suddenly felt a strong pain in my body before all went dark..."

She blushed when he gently tucked some hair behind her ear. After her parents died she had rarely been met with kindness. Her dark eyes studied his face, wanting to remember every detail, and she also studied his opal hair. This hair color was rare among her people.

She smiled when he said she would be his guest for a few days. The pain in her body when she tried to move was a clear giveaway that she should not roam around like she used to. A few days of rest would do her good. Besides, Cadreinth seemed like nice companion.

"Yes please, if it is not too much trouble," she replied, meeting his gaze. "I wish to do my share of the household chores though. It's unfair to let you do all the work."

josephalexandre

(posting on Morrighan's invitation. :3 )

A lone figure could be seen roaming the streets of Cerenis at the crack of dawn, cursing the seagulls in the Hyoitean native language; or to be exact, in the foulest variation thereof. The birds were lucky not to understand his gibberish, or they might have lost their tongues in awe of such a master at profanities and sexual innuendos being aimed at them.
Maybe then they'd also be horror-struck by the prospect of sharing intimacy with an amorous bowhead whale, or its cousins; thus leaving Igor alone to cope with his misery.

It would be very clear to anyone who saw the jabbering, pint-sized devil that morning, that he was not in a very good mood. Nor did he have any reason to be. He'd wasted so much time already, nosing out the wrong trail; and trusting it so blindly until he reached the very end of it.
Igor had truly believed he was going to strike the pesky she-elf, but alas - what had been struck that night was none other than himself, and it wasn't even Wild who did it. If only it was her, he would at least have a slight satisfaction of knowing his intuition was keen as always, and his tracking abilities on par with the tundra wolf. Instead the image of laughing wolves were so vividly drawn across his mind, he could even hear the sound.

Wait, that was not wolves - it was those damned flying rats again. How dumb had he become to think he would find actual wolves along the miserable coastline of God-knew-where-he'd wound-up, given that here was a civilized settlement and all that jazz.
Infuriated as much by his own fiasco as by the local wildlife, Igor grabbed an empty bottle littering the street next to him - and hurled it as fast and as far as he could. The midget followed the bottle's upward arch with his eyes, praying he'd knock out at least one of those good-for-nothing seagulls with it.

Unwittingly, and just as he thought himself a failure, Igor had ironically ringed in his prey quite effectively. The wall upon which he steadied himself when his despair became too much to deal with standing upright, was so, so close to the object of his desires, he ought to have been straight out burned by the touch.