Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One Way Streets

Started by visualspice, January 05, 2016, 03:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Vels said nothing, watching the man and found herself curious at the offer. Though hungry, she wasn't sure she should take this man's food.

"Don't worry about it. I've got my own rations stored elsewhere. You eat it."

It was a lie, but he didn't need to know that. She was used to going hungry.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

With an amused sort, John commented.

"My eyes are gone but my ears still working little girl. I can usually detect lie when someone trying to tough it out. Don't pity me, just take the bread and eat."

visualspice

Embarrassed, she went quiet a moment before taking the bread. Hastily she ate, but her throat was dry, the bread was hard to swallow.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Saber-Five

John carefully chewed so not to choke himself from the hard bread. This continued for a little bit between the two.

"By the way I heard some recent stories from coming out from the land. It's seems the Grand Duke is going draft everyone and their mother for the war. Many folks not happy about that."

The older beggar mentioned as he finished another bit.

visualspice

"Draft?" she blinked, not understanding. "What do you mean?"
Parts of her life had been in ignorance.

Saber-Five

Seeing the girl's expression pretty much told "John" that Vels didn't understand what he meant as in draft. Scratching his left shoulder with one arm, he explained as best as he could.

"Draft, basically means being forced into doing or joining something, even though you or I may not want to. In this case, the Grand Duke wants more people to be part of his army to keep fighting this bloody war for him."

visualspice

"So..." she went on, carefully digesting what he had said. "He's forcing people into the army?"
Her face was that of disgust, and though he wouldn't be able to see it, he surely could hear it in her voice. "That's revolting! The war is  bad enough a scar on this land- but now it's a mandatory thing? For any and all to fight?"

Saber-Five

With a disgruntled huff aimed at their mentioned ruler, John went on.

"That the idea apparently. The only ones that would be exempted as cripples like me and probbaly noble boot lickers that our Grand Duke may have."

He lowered his head in contemplation before adding.

"Though I did hear whispers of a noble that was enforced the draft in his town was killed by some strange masked man, some weeks ago."

visualspice

That news struck a cord.
"Masked man?" And she moved to lean closer to him, anxious. "WHat sort of masked man? Why did he do that? WHen?"
Could it be the same man she had run into here?

Saber-Five

Displaying a surprised expression, it took the "blind man" a few seconds to recover so to answer his fellow vagabond's questions.

"They say it was some sort of a man that wore some kind of a mask that looks like a knight's helmet. They say he killed the blue blood for being corrupt and oppressing his folks. The freak claimed it so from what some refugees told me. Like I said it happen weeks past, two or three perhaps near the capital."

He rubbed his head some more as if he was trying to remember something.

"They say his name was Nem. No it wasn't that sorry, it was Nemesis I think. Sounds weird to me for a fellow to give yourselves a name like that. Why you ask Vels?"

visualspice

"Nemsis?" she repeated the name, then grew strangely quiet. But after a moment, she shook her head. "Oh.. n-nothing. I just...."
She looked out towards the street. "Looks like the storm is clearing." Though it still rained.

Saber-Five

"That good news." John noted before he paused then swore in exclamation,

"Angsar's breath! I almost forgot about the craziest part I heard about that madman Nemesis. He saved a Mage who was accused of the killing of he committed then defeated a couple of guards before
cutting down one of those Mordecai in single combat for everybody to see. The Mordecai was one of those beasts who burn down our home here."

With an amused chuckle, he shook his head.

"I say that's madman to do all that, but I would still buy him a round of ale at least for that last act."

visualspice

Vels hadn't realized she had been leaning in close to listen with a held breath. That was, until she finally released that breath. She shook her head.

"Mad man indeed, why earlier I-" But she paused and clamped her mouth shut. The old man didn't have to get all worked up, believing the same crazy man was here.
"Let's just say I have heard of him and well... some of his crazy, bizarre actions. But it's strange... Do you think he's disfigured? Is that why he wears the mask? It seems strange. Then again, if I were to go against the government, I guess hiding my face would make the most sense but..."

She paused to think, frowning.

"No, Ithink I'd want my enemy to know my face. Ugly or not. Just to rub it in their faces, like salt in a wound."

And she had no idea why she was telling this poor old man all of this. Perhaps stressful situations just did that  to a person.

Saber-Five

Shrugging his shoulders at the girl's new questions, John just added his own opinion.

"I really don't care about his mask, since I can't see but his actions got my attention. It isn't just the regime he went after apparently. The freak slew two magic users who were actually burning people alive, civilians mainly. Yet then he recuses mage children from a mob in another town. Honestly, what you think that fool trying to prove?"

visualspice

"Prove?" Vels wrinkled her nose, disgusted. "That most men are idiots and we are the enemies of ourselves."

Saber-Five

Very interesting "John" considered to himself. His questions had been pretty much answered. As if on cue the storm finally stopped.

"Well it's sounds like the rain and its mess is gone. I better get going, don't worry girl I'll manage from here. Thank you for helping someone like me. Blessings of Ansgar be upon you."

Using his stick as leverage and to feel his way out, John proceeded to walk with some caution away from Vels. Once out of sight however he took off the bandages revealing that he wasn't actual blind. Several minutes later in the shadows of an nearby alleyway, Nemesis surfaced where John once was.

Back to work. The masked man told himself as he prepared for his next task.

visualspice

While 'John' spirited elsewhere, Vels realized she was still without food. Hunger drove her out of her little cove, but she knew she'd find little here in means of it. Perhaps it was best she venture out of Thaedes and towards a place more crawling with life...

Or perhaps she could try to catch a rat for dinner. It wasn't the best food, but she'd eaten it before. IN fact, she ate rat meat far too often than she'd have liked. But meat was a generous thing and she could go a few days off of one meal of it. Bread, on the other hand, was a whole other animal. And if she had the means, she'd steal a loaf and devour the whole thing herself!

Dreaming about it made her mouth water. Picking up her staff, she used it as a walking stick to move about through the rough terrain that was the remains of Thaedes, and began to make her way towards the city's end.