Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Feather of Fate [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Giggling at his theatrics Penny tried to hide her smile as she leaned in, one arm on the table as she made a face of mock disgust. "No, but that sounds absolutely dreadful," she agreed. "Maybe I can talk her into something else instead. What else could a phoenix offer?"

DragonSong

"Oh, I can do lots of things!" Mal exclaimed, puffing his chest up a bit. "Mostly fire things. But we have some other neat tricks. Our tears have healing properties, for example-"

His playing faded a bit and he sat up suddenly straighter. "Hey, there's an idea," he muttered. A vial of phoenix tears had to be pretty valuable, right? Enough to get him that feather back, surely.

Juno

"Fire things?" She would definitely have to ask about that when he wasn't so excitable.

"What, the tears?" she prompted, uncertain what exactly he was thinking about. "Are we to twist your arm until you cry us buckets?" she teased.

DragonSong

Mal snorted, taking a few more bites of his eggs. "Well, you could try, but I'd singe your eyebrows off," he quipped lightly. With a shrug, he sobered some and said, "Actually, phoenix tears are incredibly valuable. I was just thinking a mage could probably make good use of them, maybe worth trading that feather."

Juno

"Ohhhh." Penny pouted slightly in thought. It was interesting, but she'd never heard of such a thing.

"I wouldn't know," she admitted with a shrug. "We'll have to see if she wants it. And if she even wants to trade."

It was not very much longer until she heard approaching footsteps, though. Her eyes brightened with excitement as she leaped up from her seat, hurrying to the door to let the aging mage in. "Welcome home!" she practically chirped, her eagerness earning her a gentle pat on the shoulder as Kura shuffled inside and set her basket down. She'd been to the markets but she hadn't come back with all that much.

"Kura, this is Mal," she introduced, gesturing at him as the dark-haired woman regarded him curiously. "He's a phoenix," she whispered at her ear, the elder woman's eyes lighting with interest and recognition.

"Mal, this is Kura Salyan," she continued in a normal tone.

"Pleasure," Kura greeted him, slumping tiredly despite their guest. She assumed he had been invited in by her student and thought nothing odd about his being there. "Forgive me, I'm going up for a rest."

"What?"

"A rest, girl, didn't you hear me?" she chuckled, giving Penny an affectionate pat to the head.

"Oh, but... We had something to ask you," the younger woman insisted, her eyes openly revealing her disappointment after waiting for her return.

"Well ask me quickly," Kura sighed, glancing between them expectantly, having no idea what sort of business she could possibly have with a phoenix.

DragonSong

This Kura woman reminded him of his father, in a way- grouchy. Wonderful.

"Yeah, see I've got a bit of a problem here," Mal said, rubbing the back of his neck and giving the older Mage the most charming smile he could manage. "Penny here- lovely girl though she is- seems to have made a bit of a magical mix-up of some kind, and she wound up summoning me. With a feather she found in your study," he added, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugged and folded his arms over his chest, leaning back on his heels. "Long and short of it is, I need you to undo the summoning and form over the feather." He flashed a quick grin. "Please. Ma'am."

Juno

Kura listened but was entirely oblivious to what exactly was the cause of his problem at first. "Feather? What feather? Do you still have it?"

"Oh, yes." Penny quickly dug into her pocket to fetch it for her. "Here," she offered, staring at the pretty thing.

The older woman took it and turned it over a few times before holding it up to the light, seemingly unimpressed with it altogether. "What have you done to this?" she muttered, glancing to Penny before handing it back to her with a sigh. "Well it's your problem now I can't do anything with that," she chuckled incredulously.

Penny stared at her, confused and stunned. "My problem? Why?"

"...Weren't you supposed to be working on runes today?"

"Yes, ma'am," the girl replied sheepishly, glancing to Mal with guilt. "That's not- That isn't why, is it?"

"No, of course not."

"Then why?" she pleaded desperately, giving Mal a slightly panicked look. How could she tell them that she just couldn't do anything?!

"Well when you summoned him you also managed a binding spell. Until you...unbind it I can't touch your magic, silly girl." Kura shrugged and moved along further into the house as if that information was sufficient. "I still want to see you practice today," she warned her. "I'm sure your phoenix friend can just fly on home."

"Fly..." Penny looked to Mal worriedly, expecting anger for that news. "You can just...go on your own, can't you?"

DragonSong

Mal blinked at this new information, then growled in frustration.

"I could," he told Penny, frowning. "But that still leaves you two with a feather that can summon me whenever you damn well please, and I'm not loving that idea." He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"You somehow bound it to you, yeah?" he said, giving her a sidelong sort of look. "If you undo that, and hand the blasted thing over, I'd feel a lot better about going."

Juno

Just undo it? She didn't even know how it had happened in the first place! She'd certainly never meant to summon him, and now her sloppy mystery magic was getting in the way of a stranger's life.

"Well, I don't know how to do that," Penny admitted, wandering back to him with the most guilty look on her face. "I don't know how any of this happened."

She looked to Kura, the older mage going about her business as though it was entirely normal to have a sudden phoenix guest in the house. Standing on her toes and leaning in Penny whispered at his ear, "Why don't you take it with you anyway? I won't tell her. I don't think she'd mind, but I won't tell her."

She held it up to him with a fairly determined look as she rocked back onto her heels. There was no reason to keep an innocent man worrying about his future just because she'd flubbed up with some silly magic. Nobody deserved to be a slave to a little feather.

DragonSong

Mal blinked, a little taken aback by the offer, but he took the feather easily.

"Thanks," he said softly, giving Penny the first genuine smile he'd yet shown. Impulsively, he reached out and Ruffles her hair affectionately. "Keep practicing, little mage," he told her with a chuckle.

Addressing Kura's back, he said a little louder, "I'll be going now. Thanks for the, uh...hospitality." With another smile for Penny, he made for the door.

He'd just taken three steps outside when he suddenly turned around and found himself walking back in. For a moment he just stood there, eyebrows raising toward his hairline as he looked around the room. "I...did not mean to do that," he muttered, utterly bewildered.

Juno

Normally such a thing would have been irritating, but Penny stood there staring and dazed with freshly mussed hair as he made to leave. She raised a hand to wave, smiling slightly as she ran it through her hair as she watched him go.

Assuming her unusual morning was over she'd turned to start cleaning up after her earlier cooking and clear the table. Entirely missing his odd turning she looked up in surprise when she heard him again. "Mean to do what?" she asked, oblivious to what had happened. A bit of chuckling from Kura had her looking to the older woman with interest but she shrugged and gave Mal an inviting smile. "Did you...forget something?" she prompted.

DragonSong

Still frowning in confusion, Mal shook his head slowly. "No..." He took a step back. Okay, so far so good. "Right. Well, uh- bye then."

He turned to leave, walking easily out of the house. And then easily right back in before he'd gone more than a few yards. "What the hell?!" he exclaimed, once again standing in front of the table. It wasn't like the summoning, there wasn't quite that pulling sensation.

But it seems quite clear that he was not in control of where his feet were taking him.

Juno

"Fairwell," she bid him warmly, chuckling as she watched him leave. This time she saw it happen, though.

Penny stared at him in confusion, uncertain what the problem was exactly. To her eyes it only looked like he was pacing back and forth. "Is something...wrong?" she tried instead, uncertain why he seemed so upset suddenly. She'd given him the feather! Wasn't that what he'd wanted?

Kura couldn't hide her snickering as she watched them out of the corner of her eye, thoroughly amused with the way Mal was kept on such a short leash to Penny with the feather in his possession.

"I told you," she reminded him gently. "Binding spell. The feather is not yours to take, young phoenix."

"Kura!" Penny groaned, embarrassed and a little flustered that she'd known and had called him out on it. "I gave him permission, you know."

"Oh, how kind of you!" she laughed, leaving her student fumbling for words.

DragonSong

Mal was getting irritated now. Snapping a glare to Kura, he barked, "You seem to know what the hell is happening? Care to enlighten the rest of us?"

He felt a little bad about his temper, but honestly it was covering a twinge of fear. Binding spell? That didn't bode well- what if he could never leave?

Juno

Kura shrugged, frowning slightly for his snappy temper. "The feather?" she said again, as if that alone should have been obvious.

"Is his," Penny prompted her.

"No, it's yours."

"But I gave it to him." She was getting desperate now.

"Well that's not how magic works, darling," the older woman clucked. Penny hung her head unable to look at him now in her shame.

"Well I knew that."

DragonSong

"So..." Mal said slowly, trying to fire out what she meant, "if I give the feather back, I can leave?"

He frowned. He didn't really like that idea- after all, even though Kura and Penny seemed like decent people, there was always the chance the feather could fall into less savory hands. And that was not a prospect he liked at all.

Juno

Kura cast him a sideways glance but only shrugged. "I don't know exactly what she did only that she did it. With Penny everything is a little unpredictable," she explained, glancing to the girl with sympathy. "I couldn't say for sure."

Well this was a right disaster. Penny held her hand out for the feather sheepishly, unable to look him in the eye. "Let me see it, maybe I can...do some digging and find a solution for you. Undo all this. I thought I couldn't, but... I can try?"

DragonSong

With a heavy sigh he handed it over. "Yeah...yeah alright." Mal ran his hands through his hair, frowning. "Gods this is a pain," he muttered unthinkingly.

Then he winced a little guiltily and cast a glance at Penny. "I mean- look, I know you didn't do it on purpose, it's just...rather inconvenient for me," he tried to cover quickly, not wanting to hurt her feelings.

Juno

She bit her lip, flinching slightly at the words she heard. He had the right to be angry with her, at least she thought so for being the victim of an unskilled mage who had no idea what she was doing.  That didn't make it hurt any less to know she was causing him inconvenience.

"Sorry," she sighed, curling her hand a bit as she turned to look towards the door to the study. She could stay in there all day searching for a solution and never find it. A look of realization came over her, though, for something he'd said before. Burn it.

Her bright eyes lit up with her idea and instead of heading down to bury herself in papers she turned towards the kitchen to kneel before the flame. A nervous hand held the feather as she slowly inched it forward, fully expecting it to catch fire as soon as it touched and ready to jump away when it did. What she hadn't expected was for the blasted thing remain intact.

The feather took on a dull glow, shining and colors flashing as it was firmly held among the flames. They almost seemed to bend around it, though, much to Penny's dismay.

The young mage sighed her disappointment as she sat back on her legs and brought the feather to her face to scrutinize it. "Weren't you supposed to burn?" she whispered, poking at it and running her fingers along still-warm barbs in her confusion.

"Is there...a special kind of fire required to burn a phoenix feather?" she asked him in a slightly louder voice.

DragonSong

Watching her, Mal quirked an eyebrow. "You do realize another name for a phoenix is a firebird, right?" he muttered, unable to keep himself from being a little snarky.

With a quick sigh, he shrugged. "I assume there's a specific spell you need to use to burn it," he mumbled rather dejectedly. "But I don't know what it is."