Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Keiran clicked his tongue softly. "No need for apologies. I am afraid I do not have the resources, my father does, and he would not approve of such...frivolity."

He sighed softly, running his fingers wistfully over the page before him. "My education has always been encouraged, but only insofar as safe studying within the walls of a prestigious institution. It is not proper for a young lord to gallivanting off across the world to play in the wild, the dirt, the mud. The only acceptable future for myself is to marry a girl of my father's choosing and support my brother once he becomes the head of our house."

DragonSong

Lyssa frowned a bit. "That sounds...stifling," she murmured. "I'm sorry."

She supposed she'd assumed that having money, a family name, would make life infinitely easier. It seemed the privilege came with a price.

Zero

Keiran started softly, as if suddenly remembering himself. The neutrally pleasant mask went back on, a familiar curving of the lips and he tilted his head. "Oh, but I love my family and will do whatever is best for my family. Personal ambition is quite unimportant next to the legacy of my house."

DragonSong

"But..." Her frown deepened and she dropped her eyes quickly, hoping he wouldn't notice.

She shouldn't stick her nose in here.

"I suppose so," she murmured, trying to focus her attention on the book in front of her.

Zero

"Try not to trouble yourself over thoughts of it, Miss Lyssa. I have always known my place in life." It was true enough, and Keiran had done his very best to conform himself into a perfect son, despite being born second.

Conrad had a penchant for rebellion and defiance of their father's rules and wishes. Such behavior from the heir had only pushed Keiran further in his attempts not to be the disappointing one.

DragonSong

"Mmm." She sounded unconvinced, but it wasn't her place to interject. With a little shake of her head, she turned the book around so he could see the page she was reading. "I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's an evolutionary theory about the relationship between wyrms and sea serpents in here."

Zero

It wasn't a subject to discuss with just anyone, or at all. Nothing could change the fact that as the son of a noble family there were certain expectations placed upon him - a crushing burden, but one he dutifully carried.

Keiran's entire face lit up as he put the heavy thoughts behind him to focus on what he was being shown. "An evolutionary focused paper would be very fascinating, and I had not thought of that before now. I wonder if there is enough evidence to be found to write on the subject at length..."

DragonSong

Lyssa perked up a bit. "I'm not sure about specifics, but if that's the angle you want to go with I know a few other good books on the evolution of magical creatures."

Zero

"That would be most helpful. Yes, I think this will make an excellent paper. A slight shift in my focus, perhaps, but certainly interesting enough to be worth the detour in my studies." Sea serpents were a very specific subject and there didn't seem to be a lot of material on them; broadening the focus of his paper would certainly help.

DragonSong

"Oh, good." She smiled and added brightly, "I can go find those books now then. Or..."

Her head tilted, eyes glinting impishly. "We could always wait a bit longer, if you'd like to stay here and see what other information we can find?"

Zero

"It seems wasteful not to use the time given to me - change of focus or not." There was no way that Keiran was going to pass up on this opportunity to study these books if he could help it. He might never get another chance, after all. "We should see what other inspiring topics we can dig up while we have access to these materials."

DragonSong

Lyssa chuckled. "My thoughts exactly." She read in quiet for a few moments, then said slowly, "Although... If you have a future project that brings you back here, I'm sure I could work something out..."

Zero

"Well we can worry about future projects when they become present projects, I suppose." The future...Keiran wondered how many more projects he might actually accomplish in Arca. He knew that his days of leisurely study in the capitol were numbered.

Conrad would have to pick a young bride soon and once his brother was finally wed their father would turn his eyes on him to do the same. He already had some suspects on who the girl might be. There were really only a handful of girls with the proper breeding and wealth to be deemed acceptable in his father's eyes.

"Speaking of the future, have you put more thought into attending one of the colleges? There are many respectable establishments, of course, but Kia's Garden is the best. I am sure with the proper scholorships or sponsors that you would be readily admitted." Yes, a nice change of subject.

DragonSong

"I've been...thinking," Lyssa admitted, hedging only a little. She blushed and dropped her eyes. "I wrote to my parents. They think it's an excellent idea, which surprised me a bit. I would have thought they'd want me home."

She chuckled a bit and ran her fingers absently through her hair. "Honestly though, I'm not sure who I could look to for a sponsor. A few of the scholarships as feasible, but the ones that would really help me are o far beyond my capabilities-"

She cut herself off with a quick clearing of her throat and smiled sheepishly. "Forgive me. I shouldn't complain."

Zero

"I have been thinking as well." Keiran's eyes had lit up with a bit of excitement as he leaned towards Lyssa slightly and dropped his voice just a little. "It seemed wrong to act without first speaking to you, but I would like to write to my father on your behalf. My family is wealthy, powerful, and influential. I am certain if I explained to my father how gifted you are that he could be convinced to sponsor you himself. I am sure that your contract can be made quite reasonable."

DragonSong

"You..." Her eyes got very big behind her glasses. "You would really do that?" she whispered, almost incredulous.

But a smile she couldn't control was threatening to show itself, excitement sparkling in her eyes. "I- Keiran, I don't know how to thank you for this..."

Zero

"You can thank me by accepting and excelling - I am certain you can. Your ability is remarkable and your potential is squandered sitting idle in a library, no matter how fine an establishment." Keiran did grimace slightly. "Besides, you will have to endure the contract. I am sure that father will ask for something reasonable if I press, perhaps a few years acting as a caretaker for the family's personal library..."

He shrugged his shoulders lightly. "The Fairhall estate is breath-taking. I am sure a few years living and studying in the southern reaches of Serendipity will be bearable in return for such an opportunity, yes?"

DragonSong

Lyssa was speechless, almost on the verge of tears. With a small, happy squeak she jumped to her feet and practically flew around the table to wrap her arms around his neck in an exuberant hug.

"Oh, thank you thank you thank you!"

Realizing she was being entirely inappropriate, she blushed almost seafoam green and jerked away from him, fixing her eyes on her feet. "Oh, um, sorry. I just- thank you so much."

Zero

Keiran could see the way Lyssa's eyes misted up with unshed tears and felt affirmation that he was doing the right thing to make this offer. That she'd jump up from the table and engulf him in a hug was a bit unexpected though! He froze in a bit of shock at her arms wrapped about his neck, and when she pulled away his eyes blinked owlishly at her.

"It is...quite alright." He cleared his throat quickly, unused to not being perfectly composed. "Your level of gratitude only confirms that you deserve it."

DragonSong

She couldn't quite meet his eyes, but she raised her head to smile at him gratefully. "I'm...glad you think so. I promise, I will do everything I can to make sure you won't regret this- I will earn what you've done for me, I swear."

Her eyes were glimmering with excitement again, and she had to slip her glasses off for a moment to surreptitiously dab at a few happy tears. Gods this was ridiculous, even she wasn't usually this emotional!

"I, um, I should...go look for those books on evolution. You can stay here, I'll be right back." She ducked her head again, for some reason finding it rather difficult to look directly at him. It was making her heart jump up into her throat.