Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Keiran smiled in response to her thanks, and even managed a soft chuckled as he watched the antics of the tiny dragons. They were such cute little beasts, and they already seemed to adore Lyssa - not that he could blame them. She was an extremely kind and warm person.

As she commented on the scenery, the young noble glanced out the carriage windows himself, taking in the view for a moment quietly. "Yes, the countryside is very lovely. I can not wait to show you the forests of Ravensway."

DragonSong

"Oh, forests." Lyssa smiled almost wistfully as she looked to him again, her eyes shimmering gently in the light that filtered through the carriage windows. "I miss forests. I would be absolutely delighted to see those where you grew up, Keiran. Thank you."

A soft tap at her foot caught her attention and she glanced down to see Teve, evidently the ever more adventurous of the two brothers, gnawing playfully at the toe of her shoe. She chuckled again and shook her head at him, tucking her feet up onto the seat of the carriage so her knees were drawn toward her chest in an effort to remove the target of his interest.

"Did you...have the opportunity to play outside much, as a child?" she asked almost cautiously after a moment, letting her chin come to rest on her knees as she tilted her head at him slightly. "You speak so fondly of the lands of your home, but I just realized that--well. I'm sure the children of nobility have more...responsibilities than someone like myself."

Zero

Lyssa would be delighted to see the forests where he grew up. Keiran felt that warm, bubbly feeling in his chest again. It plagued him frequently when in the librarian's presence, but he found it extremely pleasant. He wanted to keep feeling it.

"I suppose that would depend on who is defining the word play. The weather is beautiful and the forests are majestic, I spent many afternoons taking my lessons under the boughs of the forests of my family's estates. Such fine scenery did make my responsibilities lighter, if only slightly." He turned pensive as he thought back on his childhood. The bulk of his memories were of lessons and being taught how to support his brother when Conrad became the lord of the family's holdings.

Keiran shook off the thoughts and smiled faintly at Lyssa. "What about your childhood? I imagine it was quite different than mine."

DragonSong

She chuckled softly again, lips curving up on one side into a small, crooked smile. "Yes, I imagine it was." She tilted her head the other way, trying to think of what to tell him.

After a few moments contemplation she laughed again, the sound sort of wry and self-deprecating. "Well, I...I was rather a solitary child, I suppose you might say. My parents are both mages--fairly powerful ones, actually--and I really spent most of my time with them. Reading, working in Father's garden, helping Mother in the workshop. I think they were a little..."

She cast around again for a right word, a small frown tugging at her brow. "Not disappointed, exactly. Almost perplexed by...well, me. I didn't have any hint of a magical gift as a young child, so I don't think they quite knew what to do with me. If I wasn't helping one of them around the house, I was essentially left to myself." She pulled herself back from the reverie and smiled at him again with a small shrug. "Our house was sort of at the edge of town, right up against the woods, so I did spend quite a bit of time there. Mostly I'd just find a nice sunny rock or a climbable tree and sit with a book for a while. I didn't exactly have many friends."

Zero

It made sense that Lyssa's parents would be powerful mages, given her own ability. Keiran smiled unconsciously as he thought about a younger Lyssa reading in the woods by her childhood home. He thought that if they had met much earlier they would have still become fast friends, given their mutual love for books and trees.

"That actually sounds quite nice. I was too busy with studies for many friends, or really any of them. Conrad is the social one, he is quite well-liked by many. He is much better with people than I am, he isn't at all shy or quiet like I am." He was looking forward to seeing his brother again.

Keiran had a somewhat wistful, far-off expression as he thought about his younger years at home with his family. He really should visit them more often - if his father even allowed him to leave. It was the heavy weight of family duty weighing down upon him. His father had let him do as he pleased for several years, and Keiran knew that his time was running out. All he could really hope for was that his father would find a wife for him that he could get along with.

DragonSong

Lyssa couldn't keep the small smile from her face. "You love him very much," she noted softly, with a warmth to her voice that even she herself hadn't entirely suspected. Suddenly feeling awkward again, she cleared her throat and once more glanced out the window. "Your brother, that is. I--ahem."

She glanced down, toeing at the floor of the carriage absently with one foot. Viren batted the ball of yarn into her ankle, and she nudged it back to the two tiny dragons with a tiny twitch of a smile at the corners of her lips.

"I think...I would have liked to know you. When we were kids," she mused quietly after a few moments. Glancing up at Keiran through her lashes, she added with a crooked smile, "If nothing else, we still would have shared a mutual love of books, right?"

Zero

"I do." Keiran agreed, smiling faintly at her apparent embarrassment at saying it out loud. He would never deny that he loved and looked up to his brother - in some ways. They were very different men, with his penchant for being a scholar and mage and Conrad's skills as a warrior and leader, but they held a strong brotherly bond.

The young lord let himself glance back out the window, watching the passing scenery quietly for a few moments as Lyssa played with the tiny dragons. His eyes were drawn back to her when she spoke again.

"I would have enjoyed having your friendship as a child, I think we would have gotten along very well over books and animals." Keiran smiled a bit wistfully and looked back out the window. He wished he'd had a friend like her back then. Well, there was nothing for it now. "At least we got to meet each other at the library and become friends now."

DragonSong

Her smiled widened and she nodded. "And I'm very glad we did." She meant it, with all her heart. She wouldn't say she'd been friendless in Arca, but she hadn't met anyone that she connected with as quickly and easily as Keiran. Despite the drastic divide in their upbringing and social classes, whenever she talked to him she couldn't help thinking that they were more alike than they really were different.

It was a surprisingly pleasant thought. While she said it didn't bother her--and most of the time it didn't--she truly had been a rather solitary child, and it was a habit that had stuck with her into adulthood. It was just nice to have a friend like him.

Laughing softly to herself, Lyssa leaned back in the carriage seat and curled her legs up to the side, adding, "Not to mention I never would have been able to go on a trip like this if we hadn't. So count me doubly glad, I suppose."

Zero

"I am glad you are here." Keiran's smile was the kind that morphed his entire face and had his eyes closed, with the corners just faintly crinkling. It was far from the normal pleasantly neutral mask he wore, something very genuine, and this time he didn't try to hastily control the display of emotion. He felt safe to let the mask slip, when it was just the two of them.

It was his sincere hope that Lyssa enjoyed the trip, and that she would be well-received by his family. Keiran was sure that Conrad would be welcoming. His father would undoubtedly be polite, this was the young woman he was sponsoring after all, but he knew his father was also a rather cold and calculating man.

"Lyssa, I wish to advise you about the upcoming meeting with my father and the subsequent wedding." Keiran's eyes had opened once more and his expression turned more serious. "This gift of yours, it is remarkable, but I would refrain from discussing it with anyone that does not need to know, at least, not until you are in a more secure position. Once you sign a contract with father you will have the protection of House Fairhall, but before that others might try to manipulate or exploit you. Your gift could be very valuable to some with less than good intentions."

Keiran did not wish to scare her, but he also did not want to see her come to harm because she was unaware of the potential dangers. "I am sorry. Perhaps I should have told you this before inviting you to come."

DragonSong

Something in her chest went warm and tight at that smile in a way she hadn't been prepared for and didn't entirely understand. It was... Perhaps she was being presumptuous, they really hadn't known each other all that long, but she just suddenly knew with a solid certainty that he didn't smile like that very often. She'd seen his polite, neutral mask, of course, and she'd seen real but subtle emotion from him slip through it, but that...it was something else.

"I-I'm glad too," she managed to stammer out, feeling suddenly flustered and distinctly lacking eloquence. She managed to shake it off a bit as his expression sobered, and she sat forward to listen when he spoke in a different tone. The sort of tone that said he was broaching a serious subject.

She frowned a bit as he warned her against speaking about her gift--not because she didn't want to take his advice to heart, but more... "I--I will keep it in mind, Keiran," she assured him, "but I just can't imagine--I mean, surely I can't be of that much interest to the sort of folks your family will be hosting?" She laughed a little, sounding caught between incredulity and self-consciousness. "The most I can do is summon up a pretty bauble or two. I know it's...unique, the way I do it, but it's not all that powerful."

Perhaps the most ridiculous part was that she genuinely believed what she was saying: that she was unextraordinary, despite what he had already seen of her gifts. She just simply couldn't understand how someone might find her "valuable".

But she smiled at him and added, "But I won't talk about it with your family's guests, if you think that's best. I promise."