Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Don't Swim Against the Current [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, February 13, 2016, 11:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I've got the tings you asked for, if that's what you mean," Isabeau said, waving the cabin boy aside as he seemed to be starting to apologize. "I'm not sure what you need where, so I've left most of it in my cabin. I can show you if you like, help you haul what you need down here."

Cambie

Fletcher wiped his hands with a nearby rag and tossed it down to where his tools lay.  He gave her a nod.  "A short break would be good. Lead the way. "

DragonSong

"Right then." The captain glanced at the cabin boy and arched an eyebrow at him. "Galley, lad. Now."

"Yes, ma'am!" He jumped to his feet and scurried off ahead of her as she led Fletcher up onto the main deck, then across to the door set in the helm that led to her cabin, dodging ropes and crates and crew with the ease of long practice.

"Right in here," she said, bumping the door open with her hip and gesturing for the gunsmith to go into the rather lavishly if oddly decorated cabin.

Cambie

The trip across the main deck was a little more difficult for Fletcher, as he almost tripped over ropes and bumped into scowling sailors more than once. It didn't help that he could feel the boat rocking ever so gently on its moorings.

A low whistle escaped Fletcher's lip as he stepped into the captain's cabin.  He had to admit, he was impressed.  Apparently the captains of merchant ships really knew how to live extravagantly!  Even his own accommodations back in Uthlyn were not so finely decorated.

"If this is how all sailors live, Captain, consider me signed up for the next journey," he said in jest, turning to her.  "

DragonSong

Isabeau smirked a bit, leaning against her desk and folding her arms. "Well now, this is just how captains live," she replied lightly. "Be a long time voyaging before you could work your way up to something like this."

She waved a hand toward the bed, where she'd piled most of the things she'd gathered from his list. "There you are. I'm not ashamed to admit I don't really know what's what in there, so you'll just have to dig through until you find what you need." She shrugged. "Sorry."

Cambie

Fletcher kept his mouth shut, though he inwardly was thinking about how she also looked a little too young to be captain of a merchant vessel.  But judging by the way that big tattooed lug had scurried away at her command, she probably earned the right.

He instead grinned back at her. "I retract my pledge of service, then.  At least I learn how to swim."

Eyes drifted to the pile of materials stacked upon her bed, and gave a thoughtful nod.  The few items that were missing weren't critical, and he could make do with what was there. "I can make this work.. My thanks." 

With a long hmmmm he began collecting up the banded iron rings, forming a haphazard pile in his arms.  "I suppose it'd be bad form to do it while in port, but that long nine you have up front of the ship looks like it was built with steady hands.  I'd like to have a go with it."  Without even comprehending that it was the bow of the ship and not the front, he turned to her.  "Door, please."

DragonSong

Isabeau smiled a bit for his interest and nodded, bumping the door open with her hip again and waving him through. "Anything I can do to help you down there?" she asked. "I don't like feeling idle when there's work to be done on the old girl."

Cambie

"Most of it involves hammering and filing, to be honest," he told her with a laugh as he nearly tripped over another crate.  Clearly ships were dangerous environments.  "And cleaning. A lot of your pieces weren't cleaned regularly, so I am guessing that some of them misfired, or fizzled in the pan at the wrong times."  He was becoming more animated, the more the conversation steered toward her guns.

He stopped at the stairs leading below decks, and glanced at her.  "I could show you some things, though I'm guessing you're already quite familiar with the artillery.  On account of you being a captain and all."

DragonSong

She nodded, smile widening slightly at how obviously thrilled he was with his work. "I am," she conceded, "But I'm not so arrogant as to think there's nothing left for me to learn." She nodded at him politely. "I'd be happy if you would let me watch you work, at least."

Cambie

His grin widened at that, and carefully he descended below decks.  It was still light enough outside that the open gun ports allowed some measure of visibility, and Fletcher went back to the disassembled gun and set down his armful of iron pieces with a clatter.

"Now you can see," he said to her, though he might as well have been talking to an auditorium with the way he dove into his work, "your cabin boy did a passable job of cleaning out the bore of built-up residue.  Of course, if you take a look inside, you can see that the actual bore itself is not even its entire length, which suggests a problem with the casting.  Now it'll fire, but you won't get a perfect shot out of the girl short of recasting the entire barrel."

He picked up the iron bands which he'd removed from the gun carriage earlier.  "Take a look at this.  It's hard to see from just a quick glance, but it's bent out of shape, probably from too much firing.  The trunnions don't sit evenly in it and don't rotate properly, which is why it's so hard to aim the barrel up or down.  Replace it with one of these-" and he picked up one of the new rings, giving it a cursory look before nodding in satisfaction, "and that's a problem solved."

With almost a flourish, he tossed the old iron band out of the gun port before realizing what sort of show he was putting on.  With another foolhardy grin, he turned back to the Captain. "Sorry, I get a little caught up in small details sometimes."

DragonSong

Isabeau nodded along to his explanation. She started to get a little wary when he mentioned the issues and what had probably caused them- too much firing. Would he start to get suspicious about why a "merchant" ship was using her cannons so often?- but smoothing her face into something expressionless.

Then she smiled a bit, shaking her head at him. "It's fine, really. I'm interested, and it's good to know you take such obvious pride in your work. It means you'll do a good job with the repairs." Hopefully.

Cambie

His smile waned a little bit, though it was still present on his face. Everything he did with these guns would certainly improve their lifespan and operational efficiency, but with cannons there was only so much a single man could do short of building new guns from scratch.  And that really irritated him. By Ansgar, he was Fletcher de Villiers, and everything he touched should be perfect!  Why couldn't it be so with artillery?

"You'll certainly get a lot more use out of them, that I can promise," he said enthusiastically, leaving out the bit about scrapping these guns and beginning anew.  Instead he added, "Once I get my hands on your pistol, you'll never want me to leave."

DragonSong

She laughed quietly. It was rather nice. She didn't laugh often, but because this man wasn't really crew she allowed herself to relax a bit.

"I almost can't tell if that's a threat or a promise," Isabeau noted a little playfully.

A few loud noises- some commotion on deck- made her sigh and close her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Excuse me a moment, would you? I believe I'm being summoned," she muttered.

Cambie

Fletcher took a sidestep out of the way and gestured to the steps.  "Of course, the captain has to tend to her ship.  Well, you know where to find me."  He picked up the heavy mallet and gave the disassembled cannon a pat. "Giving this lovely girl a new lease on life."

It occurred to him that he really should be making more efficient use of his time.  After all, that was his most valuable commodity and he really should be back in Uthlyn pushing the boundaries of design and creating masterpieces of engineering.  But something about being here so far flung from the College, getting his hands greasy with these cannons...

It was the small things in life that made it worthwhile.

DragonSong

Isabeau nodded at him and turned to hurry back to the upper deck. "Alright, what's got all your knickers in a twist-" she started to snarl, then froze.

City guards were stalking their way up and down the docks, and four of them appeared to be demanding to come aboard. Shit.

Cambie

Fletcher knelt back down beside the cannon and picked up the iron band he inspected earlier.  A huge improvement over the piece he'd thrown overboard but not perfect.  With a practiced ease, he began hammering at it to round out the bends.

---

The city guards were arguing vehemently with one sailor standing at the end of the gangway, gesturing at the Poison Storm.  Something about a manifesto, or lack thereof.  Already one of the four had broken off to gather more reinforcements for the inevitable boarding of this ship.  A few words could be heard over the bickering down below.  Cargo hold... search... smugglers...

Finally the tallest greybeard among the guards pointed directly at Isabeau.  "OI! You there, bonny lass. Go fetch the captain, we have a warrant to come aboard and search this ship!"

DragonSong

It was hardly the first time someone had made that mistake, but every time it made Isabeau bristle, hackles raising.

She stepped to the rail of the ship and planted her feet, fists on her hips and eyes stormy. "No need," she called. "Captain's right here, lads. On what grounds do you have this warrant then?"

Cambie

The greybeard gave her a scowl of disgust.  Women had no business being on ships, everybody knew that.  He held up an opened letter, red wax seal of the local governor clearly visible on its crisp white surface.  "Governor's orders, girl.  We 'ave reports of illegal vessels sailing these waters engaging in buccaneering and thuggery, and have authority to search all the boats in this area."

He gave her a squinty glare. "Authority to use whatever means necessary."

One of his spear-wielding cronies gave the nearest sailor a shove and was almost surprised when the man shoved him back.  In short order, a small scuffle had started.

DragonSong

Damn. Damn damn damn double damn. Her mind started racing. "Alan! Bear! Belowdecks, now!" she bellowed at the sailors who had started the fight.

The man glanced at her, surprised, and she gave a subtle nod. They fell back without argument, clambering back onto the ship and darting for the stairs. "Forgive my men, sirs," Isabeau called to the guards. "If you'll just wait one moment, I'll lower the gangplank for you."

Crag had come up on her left. "Everyone on board?"

He nodded with a low grunt. "Plus one extra."

Right. The gunsmith. Damn. "We'll drop him off at the next port," she decided firmly. "I want us ready to sail in five minutes."

"Yes, Cap'n."

She smiled and moved forward as the rickety gangplank was lowered to the docks, waving jovially. "Come aboard then, and welcome to the Poison Storm."

Cambie

As Alan and Bear retreated from the melee with sour looks, one of the guards spat angrily their way before bending down to retrieve his fallen helmet.  Evidently greybeard wasn't too impressed with how he fared against some lowly sailors, for he had choice words for the man as soon as he stood back up straight.

By now a few more guards had joined them, though they opted to wait on the dock while the four of them marched ceremoniously up the gangplank and onto the boat.  The smile on Isabeau's face was met bitter wrinkled scowl of the head guard.  "Your cargo if you would please, captain."