Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Angels and Heroes

Started by Koga, February 17, 2016, 05:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koga

@Blizzard
A mighty caw could be heard from miles away, echoing from the tops of mountains to the Sionad tundra below them. The source was clear, a single red speckle shimmering in the bright blue sky. Wildfire and Fia soared through the cold air, circling the Kilanthro mountains. Red, orange, and golden robings rippled in the air behind The Young Fire Mage. "D-wn th-r-!" He tried to yell, but his red scarf muffled his voice. He could tell his Firebird couldn't hear him, so he prodded her on the back of the head.

The Bird turned to face him, and he pointed to the mountains below. The Phoenix narrowed her wings, and began to dive down to the mountaintops. The cold wind blew in Wildfire's face, he groaned at the feeling. He truly hated the cold. In fact, he hated this entire area. It was an ice cold mountain top that divided two of his least favorite places: Connlaoth and the Sionad Tundra. He hated the Tundra because it was cold, and he hated Connlaoth because he believed in the freedom to practice magic freely. That was not an accepted idea in Connlaoth, in fact he had to be wary not to be caught by mage-hunters on his way here.

That brought him back to his reason for coming here. To seek out yet another legend. Supposedly there is an ancient Hero in these mountains. Wildfire has come to learn that there is always at least an ounce of truth to every legend. He wanted to learn the truth behind this one.

Fia landed on the peak of the tallest mountain, and they both looked around them. "HELLO!? IS ANYONE THERE!?" Wildfire shouted, his voice echoing across the whole mountain range.

Blizzard

@Koga
...In the warm, welcoming matrix of white, he couldn't feel
more unwelcome. He lay on his back, staring angrily up at her. She was so beautiful, perfect in every way. Her skin was a light bronze, her hair like golden straw as it fell around her shoulders and was blown by a light breeze. Her eyes were golden, like the sun. Such beautiful eyes, that looked upon him with disappointment.

There were no words, there never were, nor were there a need. They understood each other perfectly without such petty frivolities.

They still loved each other. It was impossible not too, with the timeless bond they shared. Although they were incalculable distances apart from one another, the bond would not break.

She stared at him so because of what he'd done all those millennium ago...

Addaiel's eyes snapped open, and he found himself in his hut. Less of a hut and more of a cave in the side of the mountain. It was a barren place, but it ensured that he wouldn't receive any visitors. He lay there on his pitiful excuse for a bed, glaring at the rock ceiling in the dim firelight, pondering his life so far.

Many thousands of years ago, after the country- he couldn't remember the name- now called "Fell" collapsed, he'd lost all hope. It had been a grand country, as he'd remembered. He'd put so much effort into its rise, that he'd fallen apart when the end came and its people divided amongst themselves. That is what prompted him to live alone in these mountains for so long, tending to his vineyards, uncaring of the world around him. He was done with the constant failure, suffering, sadness. He wanted nothing to do with it.

Despite how old he was in years, he was still in his physical prime, and so easily climbed out of his blankets and dressed himself in his shabby robe. He didn't need much layering, what with his thick fur. His people had flourished in these mountains all those years ago.

Addaiel stepped out of his hut and into the morning sunlight, and was met with a refreshing mountain breeze that got rid of his sleepiness. Silently, he starred out at the sprawling vista before him. Spring was coming soon. He'd need to begin planting-.

A shout reached his acute, pointed ears, and he swiveled on the spot to look up towards the top of his mountain. He pondered this. It was probably just another lost refugee from some land called "Cannoli" or whatever. They were in the middle of a civil war, not that he really cared.

On the other hand, it could be more demons trying to kill him. Throughout these years, they'd kept trying, and he kept his combat skills sharp by slaying them mercilessly.

"Oh well, I won't find out just standing here." He muttered grumpily, quite displeased that his morning had been interrupted. He pulled his hood over his head and began trudging up the hastily cut path that lead to the peak. He poked his head above the rise, and was quite surprised to find a massive bird, and a young lad that appeared to be its rider. Quite strange, truth be told. Could just be another demon trick.

He stepped forward, with some caution, and asked gruffly:

"May I help you?"

Koga

Wildfire stood on the cold mountain top with Fia. They were shivering a bit, but were well suited. The Fire Mage's winter robes blew around him on the breezy mountaintop. Fia's fiery feathers swayed about in the wind as well. The Mage was just about to shout again, but then he heard a voice and his attention was brought to the being near him.

"May I help you?"

He gasped. Wildfire had heard stories of an ancient-possibly immortal-hero living on these mountains. But what his eyes saw was much more than a hero. It was an Angel. A being a sheer legend was standing right before him. "Wooooooooah Fi check it out!" He muttered loudly to the Phoenix next to him, but she just shrugged her wings. "Do you-Do you think we're dead?" He asked her, and for a moment Wildfire began to consider the idea that he could actually be dead, but he vividly remembered flying to these mountains.

He stood there in silence, staring down at the Angel below him. It took him a while to find the words, but eventually he spoke. "Heard a Hero lived in these mountains" He called down. "Wanted to see if the stories were true."

Blizzard

Addaiel stared indifferently. No emotion crossed his features from under his hood.

So, they hadn't forgotten about him...

Addaiel simply turned on his heel, now uninterested once he learned that the boy was in no trouble, and just a tourist come to see a monument to an ancient age.

Still though, he didn't want everyone knowing he was here, so he played it off.

"Well, you've gotten your answer, haven't you?" he asked, disinterestedly, raising a hand and flicking his wrist in a dismissive fashion. He began to walk back down the mountain. "There are no heroes in these mountains. I'm certainly not one. I'm but a simple hermit, living amongst his vineyards."

Addaiel, despite his cold exterior, had to hand it to the kid. He seemed like a bit of an oddball, but he was clearly clever enough to track him down in his hideaway through ancient texts, legends, and other obscure clues. Had Addaiel not been "retired", he may have considered offering the boy guidance, as he'd done with many great men and women throughout the ages. But things were different now. He was done adventuring.

Koga

Wildfire watched with disappointment as the man began to walk away. This man had to be lying. The being before him had large Angel wings, there was no way this guy was some mere hermit.  Wildfire frowned for a moment. Had he really traveled this far for nothing? Then, a look of determination lit up his eyes. His disappointed frown turned into a confident glare. Not a chance."Hey wait up!" The Fire Mage shouted, as he ran down the mountaintop after the Angel. The way down was a bit steep, and he found himself slipping and sliding his whole way. "Do you know what I went through to find you!?" He shouted, his temper was clearly starting to get the better of him. "You can't just walk away!"

Wildfire ran up to the man and grabbed him on the back of his shoulder. "I know there's truth to the stories." He said, now panting to regain his breath. "We've come a long way..."

Blizzard

Addaiel rolled his eyes, mentally kicking himself for his blunder. He snapped his fingers, and his wings disappeared. He then spun back on his heel and looked at Wildfire with dangerous eyes, the kind many demons knew and feared.

"So what, boy?" He asked coolly. "Congratulations, you traveled far and found me on my mountain. So now I ask: why? Yes, the stories are true. I am an angel- a fact you'd do best to keep to yourself- but what do you expect from this encounter? I have lived lifetimes in these snowy peaks, hidden away from the world I used to hold dear. Why do you come to me? Do you seek divine wisdom? Some sort of fortune? A battle?"

He spat out that last part. He could clearly sense the aura coming off the child. He was a mage, but he'd seen better. A fight to the death would only result in Addaiel calmly sipping whine while enjoying his mountain view with a freshly roasted piece of meat, a little pile of ash being all that remained of the fire mage. It was dishonorable, and frankly not worth the angel's time.

He pushed Wildfire's hand off of his shoulder and brushed his already-tattered, brown robe clean.

Koga

Wildfire sighed. He looked down, and shook his head. In truth, he had seeken out this old hero in the hopes that he may mentor him, teach him how to master his power. He thought maybe, the Hero of the Kilanthro mountains could teach him to be strong enough to liberate mages across the globe. But he had been wrong.

The 19 year old ball of emotion felt himself breaking apart. He had travelled all this way, risked capture and frostbite for virtually nothing. His eyes began to water, and so he rubbed them lightly. He thought of explaining himself, and his reasons for traveling here. However, it was pointless. Obviously this creature was not going to help him, even if he could.

Watery red and orange eyes looked back up at the Angel, with anger and sadness building behind them. "Let's go Fi." He said boldly, as a few stray tears dripped down his cheek. "There are no heroes here." With that, the Fire Mage turned around swiftly and walked to his Phoenix. He didn't realize it, but in his anger fire had formed on his hands and was building its way up both arms.

Blizzard

Addaiel merely brushed off the comment. He cared not. All he wanted to do was go back to his hut and have breakfast.

While walking back, he felt his ancient lover burning holes through him with her fierce gaze. This made him feel just a little bit guilty. Perhaps he had been a bit harsh on the young mage. He'd seen many young people his age, eyes full of fire, willing to do anything to be a hero. But what could he-?

An aura. A choking, dangerous aura filled the air, causing Addaiel to snarl and flick his tail in annoyance.

"Oh, son of a-!" he growled with a roll of his eyes. Of all the things! Addaiel closed his eyes and muttered an incantation that had been practiced for years:

"Behold, a pale horse! And he who rode him was christened..." he whispered hurriedly. At the same time, a dark, swirling vortex of storm clouds formed above. A single, golden bolt of lighting raced from the heavens and struck the snow leopard. There was a blinding flash of light, and once it subsided, Addaiel stood, dressed in his shining, golden armor. A white hood cast a dark shadow over his face, where one could only see golden, glowing slits for eyes.

"...Death!" Addaiel finished in a low voice. He unfurled his great wings and took off, flying low and out of sight. He had an idea. If this child wanted his help, he would earn the privilege.

XXX

Back at the top of a mountain, a voice spoke to Wildfire. It was calm, and comforting, yet eerily unsettling, like being cuddled by a poisonous snake.

"He rejected you, did he?" came the raspy hiss, full of empathy for the disheartened mage. "He does that. He believes himself better than everyone."

"I know your strength. You are formidable. But I can train you. You will free your brothers and sisters, child. You will be the greatest mage who ever lived!" offered the voice. Wildfire would have felt a captivating, hypnotic feeling wash over him. He would feel utterly compelled to accept the offer.

XXX

Addaiel floated silently above the cloud cover, safely hidden from view. He looked down, observing Wildfire. He was curious, to say the least. Curious to see if this boy's heart was as pure as he let on. One of the greatest tests of character was being confronted with the honeyed, but forked tongue of a demon...

(Message for you, Koga.)

Koga

"Huh?" Wildfire stopped in his tracks, just as he was about to hop on the Phoenixs' back. "A voice?" He thought out loud. "Do you hear that Fi?" The Firebird just looked confused. He heard a voice, a voice that promised him power. Yet, the power itself isn't what mattered to him.

"I know your strength. You are formidable. But I can train you. You will free your brothers and sisters, child. You will be the greatest mage who ever lived!"

He felt a warmness coming over him. A hypnotic feeling telling him simply to listen. This coupled with the fact that the voice promised to help him save his brother and sister mages led to his next action. "Okay..." The boy said, looking around for the source of the voice. Something about this was strange to him, it made him feel uneasy. However, he was no longer in full control of his actions.

"I accept."

Blizzard

"Ugh..." Addaiel groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose as he watched Wildfire succumb to the demon. He didn't grade as harshly as usual. Demon magic was subtle, and absolutely debilitating to those who were inexperienced with it.

Now, however, the fire mage below had placed himself in a very dangerous situation.

XXX

Dark, oily smoke seeped up from the ground just a little bit away from Wildfire, it shifted and swirled dangerously, slowly contorting into the vague shape of a human form. The smoke combusted, and once the fire had flashed and gone out, stood one of the most horrifying creatures in existence. 

It smiled venomously at Wildfire, its neck twisted at an odd angle, as if broken. Its teeth were jagged, and stained with the blood of the damned. Its nose and eyes were like that of a skeleton; empty, black, soulless. Grey, corpse-like skin covered it from head to toe on its bony body, and on the sides of its head were pointed, jagged ears. From its fingers and toes sprouted dangerous, black claws.

A demon in its purest form, forged in the fires of Hell.

"...Good..." it hissed ominously at Wildfire, taking slow steps towards him. There was no backing out now, Wildfire had accepted the offer. "We shall begin..."

"First test!" The demon cackled, now suddenly to Wildfire's right, having appeared in a puff of smoke. "Fight, child! Fight for your soul! If you lose, you will be bound to me for eternity!"

To get the fire mage in gear, it swiped him across the chest with its claws. The claws were covered with demon blood, which would cause any wounds to burn like the fires of Hell itself.

Koga

Wildfire screamed. He fell back onto the cold floor, looking up at his mistake. What had he gotten himself into now? His breathing became much more intense, and he twitched at the burning pain in his chest. So much pain from one blow. His cold finger tips grazed the wound, now he was wondering if this was a fight he could even win. Worried eyes glanced back at Fia, who was cawing at the demon, and displaying her massive wingspan intimidatingly.

The Fire Mage shook his head. Sure, his Phoenix may have been much stronger than him, but he knew she was not stronger than this demon. The boy barely managed to get to his feet. He took a few light steps backward, and pulled his large spear-staff off of his back. He twirled the staff in a full circle, before igniting it in red hot flames and pointing it downward. He stood as a barrier between the demon and his Phoenix.

Though he wasn't sure what he was about to fight, he didn't seem to care at all at this point. There was anger inside of him. A fire as strong as a thousand burning suns flared within him, and it could all be seen through his red-orange eyes. He wasn't fighting for himself now, no, he was fighting to protect Fia. That was his secret weapon: His ability to fight against all odds when protecting the ones he loved.

The young Mage was going to do exactly that. He wasn't going to let his mistake hurt his best - and only - friend. Fia would be safe. Wildfire might die making sure of that, but regardless, nothing on this Earth could touch Fia as long as he lived.

"Get out of here Fi." The boy said plainly, but the Phoenix cawed back at him. "I said get out of here!" He repeated, and shot a blast of fire backward at her. The bird flew back to avoid the blast and hovered in the air off the mountain top. "I've got this Fi, trust me. Just go somewhere safe, I'll call you back when its over." The bird cawed at him, now much louder than last time. "GO!" Wildfire shouted, and sent a much larger blast of fire back at the Phoenix. She was forced to fly off in order to dodge the blast.

For now, Wildfire and the demon were alone. "You're allllll mine now." The Boy said with a devilish grin. He couldn't even feel the pain in his chest now. All he could feel was love. His love for Fia, and his love for taking down evil. He let out a loud, continuous battle cry as he charged at the demon. Holding his flaming spear behind him, the young Man leaped into the air, twirled it around his head and swung its burning flames downward into the demon.

Blizzard

Addaiel looked on in silent approval, though he wasn't quite yet convinced.

Any fool could show bravado when they still thought they had a chance. The real test came when death was certain.

XXX

The demon hissed angrily at Wildfire, disappearing once more in a puff of black smoke. He reappeared behind Wildfire, and from his mouth hurled forth a torrent of raging flame, similar to the mage's. It was plenty stronger, however. Comparable to a grand master's power.

"You merely learned your skill, boy!" it shrieked. "I was forged in the fires of Hell! Born into it! You are nothing!"

Koga

Wildfire did a full 360 on his heels. There was fire hurling at him, flames stronger and more forceful than his own. The boy couldn't believe it. Only he had ever been able to conjure flames of such power, never had he seen a mage with a stronger fire affinity than he. However, now he was standing face to face with a demon, watching him cast a firespell stronger than the young Mage could ever dream to cast.

Without even thinking, the Mage dropped his spear and opened his palms facing the flares. He sent out his own flames in the direction of the demons'. He knew his fire could not hold against that of the demons', however, he had no choice at this point. At least this way he could slow the fire down.

Wildfire was no grand master. In fact he was far from it, but he trained under some of the best. He was a Salamander of the Elementalists' Guild, born with an affinity to fire, and trained by a Phoenix of legend. There was no way he was going down without a fight. The boy pushed all the power he could force out of his small body, and fire roared out from his fingertips, spiraling into the demons' flares. He weezed and grunted as he conjured the strongest flames he had ever created before.
Sweat dripped from his forehead. He was reaching his limit. He pushed the demons flames back a few inches, for just a moment. And then he hit it. He was out of power, and could no longer force back against the demon.

The demons' flames moved back over Wildfire's. It slowly consumed his fire, and inched its way down toward the Mage's finger tips. All had seemed hopeless for Wildfire. He pushed and groaned, but to no avail his fire was not going to grow any further.

Just as the demon's flames were about to touch Wildfire's fingertips, the tides began to change. A caw was heard, and a great Phoenix with feathers of fire rose up from behind the Demon. Wildfire's red eyes looked up at Fia, and suddenly he was filled with rage.
"I said...." Wildfire said, wincing as he struggled against the demons flames. "GET OUT OF HERE!" He shouted, and with his voice, his fire grew. It rose back up to the halfway point between the two flames.

The mage smirked, seeing that his power had returned in his rage. He knew there was no way he could overpower the demon, but Fia had given him the perfect distraction. In one swift motion, the mage released his flames, dropped to the ground on his forearms and toes, ducking below, as the demon's flares roared over him.

He lifted his spear from the ground, and pointed it at the demon's legs. He then used the spear as a catalyst to fire an explosive fire blast from beneath the demon's flames, while the Phoenix swiped at the back of the demon with her blazing claws.

Blizzard

The demon merely teleported away from Fia's talons and Wildfire's blast. When it reappeared, it raised its hand at the phoenix. Using a form of telekinesis, the demon slammed the bird into the ground once, then again, and then casually tossed her off the mountain.

Then, it rounded on Wildfire. It held an open palm to the mage, and then slowly began to tighten his grip into a fist. Wildfire would feel an immense pressure on his chest, as if that very same hand were squeezing him. It was very painful, to say the least. Very capable of killing someone within seconds. The air seemed to become colder with the eminent arrival of death.

But it appeared death would not be visiting this day, for at that moment, the dark, swirling clouds above parted, allowing a single, blinding ray of sun to cast its radiance upon the mountaintop. It illuminated the battlefield in a large circle of light. The light was warm, almost healing.

The pressure eased, and Wildfire may or may not have seen the mass of golden lions standing before him, each the size of two full-grown men, guarding him from the dark creature that was just moments ago about to end him. Their manes were like the fire he wielded, their eyes like burning suns, their fur of golden straw, and teeth like daggers. They were ethereal, and ghostly, too perfect for this world. Wildfire could physically feel the safety and comfort they projected, like a parent's love.

This was holy magic, used almost exclusively by heroes of light. It easily dispelled the false sense of euphoria demonic magic cast upon its victims. The feelings here were genuine.

The demon recoiled in visible fear and shock.

"No!" it hissed. It growled and looked around feverishly. "Show yourself, angel! I'm not afraid of you! Come forward, and die!"

There was no reply. For a moment, everything was silent. Then it came.

A power. Such a terribly, horrendously strong power could be felt. It was a relief to those of pure hearts, but suffocating to those of evil. The demon grimaced in pain and shielded its eyes.

Above, a dark silhouette contrasted with the gold. It was a silhouette  recognizable in countless old texts, and legends, and works of art. A lone man slowly floating down from the sky, with two large wings on either side of him.

The angel flicked his wrist, and a magnificent broadsword appeared in his hand. He carelessly raised it, its tip pointing towards the demon. There was a crack of thunder, and a bolt of heavenly lightning raced along the blade and out to its intended target. The demon screamed in terror and pain, and in a flash of white, was little more than a pile of dust mere seconds later. The dust was quickly blown away in the wind.

The dark clouds dissipated, and the mountaintop returned to its normal state with bright skies. The lions disappeared with a wave of the angel's hand, yet Wildfire could still feel their protective aura.

The angel hovered just above the ground for a moment before allowing himself to come to rest. There was not a sound but the howling mountain wind.

Right away, Wildfire would have noticed that this angel sported two feline ears which poked from the top of his hood, and a fluffy, spotted tail behind. He was dressed quite differently from the hermit Wildfire had encountered shortly before. The tattered robe had been replaced with fine, white clothing and shining, golden armor.

Addaiel didn't look at Wildfire, let alone speak to him. Instead, he walked to the mountain's edge and took off once more, this time heading downwards. Moments later, he returned, gingerly carrying Fia. The phoenix was for the most part fine, just knocked silly from the impacts.

With unnatural strength, Addaiel set the bird down, then turned and gazed silently at Wildfire. Wildfire couldn't see his face under the hood. It was all darkness, save for two, glowing, golden slits for eyes.

Koga

As the demon turned to dust, Wildfire fell to the floor on his hands and knees. He was breathing heavy, trying to regain his strength. Yet, he was no longer afraid. He felt warm and comfortable. But why? What had happened to him? Had he actually defeated the demon? He looked to his left and right and saw ethereal lions of fire. The Fire Mage's jaw dropped in awe. They were surrounding him, protecting him from the demons evil magic. He reached out to touch one of the lions and he felt its protective aura filling him with warmth. There was not a worry in the world, and though Wildfire didn't exactly understand why, he felt relieved.

Pushing himself to his feet, the Boy looked up and saw something he did not expect. The Ancient Hero of Legend. He could not believe his eyes, the Angel looked just like he did in the ancient Fell scriptures and portraits Wildfire discovered to find his way here. The lions disappeared, and Wildfire had just remembered what had happened to Fia.

However, the Angel was one step ahead of him, and flew down after his Phoenix. When he returned, Wildfire was nothing less than grateful. The Angel stared at him with those glowing golden eyes. Wildfire gawked at the Hero, then proceeded to look down at his unconscious Phoenix. He felt ashamed. He had not been strong enough to protect himself, or his Firebird. He failed the creature that mattered most to him, and that thought just wouldn't leave his head.

"I'm sorry Fi..."  He frowned, then looked back up at the Angel. "Thank you. I- I don't know what we would've done if you hadn't shown up."

Blizzard

"You would have died." came the simple reply. It was calm, almost whimsical. There was no trace of the agitation from earlier. Even if he didn't show it, Addaiel felt a sense of pride. He slowly stepped towards Wildfire and pulled off his hood.

"Quite painfully, I might add. Then both you and the bird would have been forced into eternal servitude to that demon."

Addaiel drew level with Wildfire.

"Do not misconstrue; I am not criticizing your effort. Demons are powerful creatures, especially to those who have no experience with them. You fought valiantly." complemented the angel casually. Then, his face turned serious.

"You already have a chance to repay me. A word of advice: the hero is not meek. The hero stands tall, looks his audience in the eye, and speaks his mind without fear of reprisal. I ask you to emulate this example when you answer my question..."

Addaiel paused, then asked:

"I ask again: Why do you come to me?"

Koga

Wildfire did not take Addaiel's words lightly. He took a moment to respond, thinking over what the Angel had said. In truth, Wildfire had not really known his reason for coming. He told himself it was to learn the truth of the legend -- but was there more to it that he hadn't realized earlier? Perhaps some part of his subconscious led him here to solve a deeper problem. Wildfire was just putting the pieces together now.

Though small in stature, the Boy stood taller than he had ever before, looked the Angel in the eyes, and said loud and strong, "I came to learn the ways of the Hero." He paused, then spoke again with more vigor, "I want to free my brother and sister mages -- and stop the persecution on magic once and for all!" His fists clenched as he spoke, thinking of all the trapped mages out there. For a moment, his mind flickered to his father. If things had worked out differently, perhaps Wildfire would have been asking him to mentor him -- but alas, life would not be that simple for the young Fire Mage.

Blizzard

Addaiel seemed unfazed by the sudden, passionate speech, and instead seemed to be silently judging every aspect of the mage. He pondered Wildfire's goals especially.

How long had he truly been gone? Since when was magic, one of the key driving forces of nature, being suppressed? When last he roamed the earth, magic was an essential part of every day life, even amongst those who didn't practice it. A world without magic would be a very dark one indeed. The boy's goal was a noble one, and so, Addaiel would help him.

He remained silent for many seconds, before saying, finally:

"Very well."

He reached out a hand and placed it on Wildfire's shoulder. As soon as he made contact, their bodies began to radiate warm, yellow light.

XXX

Wildfire's mind became filled with images. Flashes of memory, being transferred from one mind to the other in a fraction of a second. It would be quite a rush, and very disorienting.

"I am Addaiel, Angel of Death. For several millennium I have been charged with the task of shepherding this world along the path of light." Addaiel's voice seemed to echo, as if far away. Wildfire would find himself to be without a physical body, instead simply "floating". They were in space, looking down on the blue and green marble below which seemed so tranquil from this vantage point.

"I have seen mankind's best ages..."

The scene changed. Wildfire was in a grand city. It seemed otherworldly. The seas of people bustling back and forth were all of different races, walks of life. They wore alien clothes, spoke alien languages, carried alien items.

"Yet... I have also seen their worst."

The peaceful buzz of the city soon became horrifying sounds of warfare. All around, the same people from before murdered and pillaged by sword, magic, or whatever weapons they could get their hands on. No doubt it was over a very trivial matter. Swords clanged, men screamed as they fell, there was blood everywhere.

"In these dark times, I have taken it upon myself to select and train champions of good."

A lone man in shining armor stood amidst the chaos, flanked by two others, with a bright pillar of light illuminating them. The armored one and his compatriots raised their sword, magic staff, and bow, and then charged into the fray, saving the innocent and showing mercy to those who would surrender.

All the while, in the background, unnoticed, was the dim outline of an angel in the darkened sky, forever silent, forever unseen, and forever watching...

XXX

"I now select you, Koda Loghaine, to be my new champion. I will show you how to be a hero. I will teach you the virtues of mercy and compassion." Addaiel announced. The world had returned to normal, with Addaiel staring directly into Wildfire's soul with his burning, golden eyes. He removed his hand, having officially blessed the fire mage. The bond was sealed. Wildfire had a guardian angel.

Addaiel turned on his heel and began to saunter back down the mountain. He returned to his normal form. His wings disappeared, and his beautiful, white clothes were replaced with his dirty robe.

"But first, breakfast." he finished simply, easily killing the powerful mood.

Koga

Wildfire was in awe. The vision given to him by the Angel had left him feeling so small. He had been given a glimpse of the past - possibly of the area now known as Fell - and he could hardly believe his own eyes. The Angel had showed him some of humanity's best and worst, and the heroes he had personally trained to take on evil. It made Wildfire wonder if he himself was living in one of the darkest times of man.

His question remained unanswered as the vision ended, and the Angel returned to his normal hermit form. Yet, some part of him felt stronger than he had been when he first arrived. The blessing was now upon him, and he could feel its warmth within him. He raised a fist in glee, and smiled from ear to ear.

"ALRIGHT! So let's get to train---"

"But first, breakfast."

The boy dropped his fist and frowned for a moment as the hermit wandered off. He wanted to start training as soon as possible. "Hey wai-" He was interrupted by a grumble in his stomach. He was feeling pretty hungry too, having just fought a demon on an empty stomach. So, he decided that training will come later, and he followed Addaiel down the mountain.

"How'd you know my name anyway?"
--
Fia, who had been unconscious for most of Wildfire's vision. Had just started to get to regain her consciousness when she saw The Angel bless the young mage. A small smile grew on her beak. She had known, for a long time now, that Wildfire was born to do great things. This was just the beginning. She too, pushed herself up, and followed the boy and The Angel down the mountain.

Blizzard

"That was a two-way connection. First lesson of the day- defense against telepathy. When a link is established, you must make a concious effort to restrict access to any thoughts or memories yo wish to keep hidden."

Addaiel hadn't looked over his shoulder, but instead used his sword to slice apart a roasted animal which hung just outside his cave. He took one leg and gave the other to Wildfire.

Addaiel's race was almost purely carnivorous. What could you expect?

Addaiel felt his eye twitch as Fia's great weight caused a part of his "porch" to crumble and tumble down to the valley below.

"Watch it, you bleeding fire-chicken!" The angel grunted and tore a chunk of meat from his leg.