Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pirates of the Hivanibbean (open)

Started by Arocraes, March 02, 2016, 03:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arocraes

Arocraes dropped the coin purse into the greasy palm of the sailor. As his eyes were fixated on the large boat he was about to board, examining the other crew members and passengers, he could sense the piercing glares of the sailor in front of him. "What a bother" Arocraes thought to himself, as he could only assume the sailor was staring at the armor piece covering his arm.

"Whaddaya headed to Adela for, boy?" the sailor asked Arocraes, visibly annoyed for some reason.

Arocraes turned to face the sailor, irritated but doing his best to cover it up by grinning. "Business" he replied, which was true, somewhat. His family had not been getting commissions of late, as their material quality was either sub-par or scarce, leading to increased prices when other blacksmiths could charge less for the same quality merchandise. As a result, Arocraes' father instructed him to head to Adela to gather certain ingredients to create "black iron" as folks in Suna called it, and to observe different blacksmithing techniques. Arocraes, however, was more interested in the prospect of researching fighting techniques to better hone his skills.

The sailor continued to stare into Arocraes' eyes while running his fingers through the gold contained inside the coin purse and counting them inside his head. He then motioned Arocraes to board the ship, who still possessed the disingenuous grin from earlier. He lightly sighed as he boarded the ship, "What a bother" he thought to himself, again. As he was about to step onto the deck of the ship, he could hear the sailor faintly saying, "Be on your toes, pretty boy. Things might get a lil' rocky." Arocraes thought nothing of it and continued walking, still slightly annoyed from his encounter with the sailor.

However, his spirits quickly changed, interested by the other passengers currently on board and prepared to board. He wondered what each of their stories were, and if he would meet someone that could pique his interest even more.

JackieCat

Faelis was positive he wanted to leave Thanatos.

It wasn't that he didn't like the island, in fact, he quite enjoyed it, the lush rainforests, the variety of plants.  There were a lot of people to steal from, and, for the most part, slavery was frowned upon.  Despite making his living as a thief, Faelis despised slavery above most things.

Despite rather enjoying Thanatos, Faelis was leaving.  Why?  Well, there was one little problem, he was being chased by a group of murderous men, all bigger than the Faelis.

The elf had an uncanny knack for annoying the heck out of people, and adding in the fact that most of these people were already criminals, they wouldn't mind to do some killing to get a little revenge.

Faelis was now of to a ship headed to Adela, his pursuers not a day behind him.  In this particular case, Faelis had insulted his red-faced pursuer while they were both drunk.  Now the man and his friends were after Faelis to get even.  it didn't help that Faelis had picked all of their pockets as he left the bar fight which he had started.

Not Faelis was walking up to the man who stood next to the ship's gangplank.  He must have looked quite strange, wearing all black, his long black and gold hair adorned with beads and feather and other pieces of jewelry, as well as many piercings on his face.

"This ship heading for Adela?" Faelis asked, and the man eyed Faelis as the elf smiled at him.

"Aye, it is," he said, offering no more information.

"How much?" Faelis asked, and the man narrowed his eyes as he named a price.  Faelis eyed the man's purse as he handed over the required amount,.  The man's little bag was filled with coins, Faelis could see, and would have stolen it had he not been about to board a ship with the man.

When the man had finished counting the money Faelis had given him, he waved the elf thief up the gangplank, but Faelis waited for a moment, pointing to the mans satchel.

"I'd move that to a safer place if I were you,  you wouldn't want a wily pickpocket to make away with it, would you now?" Faelis winked mischievously at the man before continuing up the gangplank and onto the deck of the ship.

There were many other on the ship, and Faelis made a mental not to find out how much money each of them had before he left.

After stowing his items below decks, Faelis came back onto the deck and looked at the sailors scurrying all over the ratlins and sails as they made way.  Faelis himself had served aboard a ship, a pirate ship, and he had experience with sailing.

Faelis scanned the ship, looking over the passengers, assessing his situation, when his eyes fell upon a young man.  For some strange reason, the man intrigued the elf.  He was wearing all black, and did not look ordinary, but Faelis had seen many strange people, and some of the people on the ship now were rather strange, but all the same, Faelis walked towards the boy.

He walked up next to him and leaned against the rail.

"You have business in Adela?" he asked with a mischievous smile that did not invite trust.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes turned his attention to the man who had approached him. His smile was inviting and charming, yet, for some reason, Arocraes felt something sinister about it. The aura this man gave off was enchanting yet devious, as if he could convince you you're his best pal right before he steals all your belongings. Arocraes cautiously hovered his right hand over the handle of his katana as he turned his full body toward the man.

"I-I... yes" Arocraes replied cautiously. He was able to analyze this mysterious man even further. He appreciated all of the man's piercings and jewelry, which reminded him of the Thanati that he grew up around. He could tell that the man was well equipped by his appearance, which excited Arocraes in hopes that he could test his fighting abilities with him.

Just as Arocraes opened his mouth to explain what his business in Adela was, the captain of the ship passed by giving orders to nearby sailors. "Bring the rapier to the poop deck and load the cannons, I'm expecting trouble" he barked in a rugged tone to a couple of dirty, sketchy looking crew members. "There's no way I'm letting em have it!"

Arocraes was confused, as he had heard that this ship was strictly a transportation vessel. There were no weapons on the deck, and he didn't notice weaponry around the ship as he was boarding. Furthermore, he was wondering what it could be referring to. He shrugged it off and returned his attention to the man that was still standing beside him, now wondering if he also was questioning the true purpose of the ship.

"I'm looking for some materials" Arocraes suddenly told the man, wondering if he was still curious.

JackieCat

Faelis noticed the young man's discreet hand movement to the pommel of his sword, but made no threatening move towards one of his own many weapons.  His smile grew slightly as the young man answered him hesitantly. 

He also noted the captain giving orders, and the thief wondered what sort of trouble the man was talking about, as well as what itwas.

Though he noticed all of this, he kept his attention on the young man before him.

"Materials?" he said. "You are a crafter?  Of what kind?"

If he wanted to find out more about this young man, perhaps steal from him, perhaps not, he would have to ask simple, non-intrusive answers first.  Go subtly.  One did not win a war simply from the battles.  There was a lot of strategy involved, and Faelis planned to use some of what he knew.  And though he had no intent of hiding his true personality, he would keep his profession a secret, for now.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes shifted the hand that was still hovering over his blade to his side. He relaxed himself a little. Although he was still not sure if he could trust this man, he didn't think he was in any danger at the moment. Plus, he was captivated by his smile, which for some reason seemed nostalgic as well as alluring.

"I'm a blacksmith" Arocraes replied. "My family owns a shop in Suna, and our specialty is a material locals call 'black iron'" he continued, moving the arm covered with the armor piece made of said material in front of him. He turned his arm over and back, and flicked the armor piece to give this stranger an idea of his craft. "Take a swing at it" Arocraes said while shifting his eyes to the man's torso, with a strong feeling that he was hiding weapons underneath his garment.

Off on the other parts of the ship, the sailors were preparing to embark. The anchor was released and Arocraes could see crew members adjusting sails out the corner of his eye.

JackieCat

Faelis nodded when the young man said he was a blacksmith, and raised an eyebrow as he looked closer at the 'black iron'.

"Very interesting," he said, and when the young man offered for him to strike at his armor, Faelis did.

There was a flash of silver and in less than a heartbeat Faelis had drawn a small dagger and made a strike at the black iron.  Only the elf's arm moved, the rest of his body staying completely still as his dagger hit the iron.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes' eyes widened as his body slightly recoiled. He did not expect that type of speed from this man, and was thoroughly impressed. As he moved his arm back towards his side, he ran his opposite hand through his hair.

"So what brings you to this ship?" Arocraes asked, being careful with words after witnessing the power this stranger possessed. "Why are going to Adela?" he added as he felt the ship move slightly underneath his feet, as their voyage was just about to begin.

JackieCat

Faelis was impressed with the strength of the armor, although, even if the armor had been weak, the blade would not have punctured it.  Faelis did not want to harm the young man, though he had gotten a good idea of exactly how durable this 'black iron' was.  His smiled grew slightly, but only slightly, kinder as he saw the young man flinch back at his strike.

"I don't live in Thanatos," Faelis replied to the question asked, "or in Adela, I'm a traveler, I wander around, and Adela is my latest destination."  This wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the whole truth, either.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

"Ah I see" Arocraes halfheartedly replied. He was a little bit disappointed; given this man's appearance and aura he was expecting a much more exciting tale. "What will you do in Adela?" Arocraes asked, hoping he wasn't prying too much.

In the distance, Arocraes could hear the captain of the ship scolding two other sailors for dropping cargo. He wondered what cargo other than the belongings of passengers could be on board before his thoughts quickly returned to the stranger before him. He could feel a presence walk towards him, perhaps the first or second mate of the ship.

JackieCat

Faelis could see the young man's disappointment at his answer.

'Perhaps you will find out the real reason for my departure of Thanatos some day. . .'  Faelis thought, but for now, he simply said, "I'll look for a job, of some sort.  Where are you getting your materials from?"

Just then Faelis saw a man walking up behind the young man, and Faelis judged him to be the First Mate.

"Good day," Faelis said, his smile growing slightly as the man approached.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes grew even more dissatisfied with this man's neutral response. I guess he's not as interesting as I thought he would be, he thought to himself. 

Arocraes was about to answer the man's question when the First Mate approached.

"Hey.. uhh.. sorry to both you folks but uh... if you wouldn't mind, we need some help moving... cargo... from the bow to the stern. Can ya uh... lend us a hand?" the First Mate said to Arocraes and the stranger. Arocraes studied the man for a second, wondering how he managed to achieve a high ranking among the crew when he seemed so lethargic. Arocraes looked into the distance to see several large crates covered by netting, and then turned towards the stranger, expecting to follow his response. 

JackieCat

Faelis was quite surprised by the First Mate's question, but even more so by his mannerism.  Immediately the elf thief was suspicious, after all, you didn't live long in his line of work by being trusting.

"You don't have enough men to do it yourselves?" Faelis asked, making it quite clear he was questioning the crew's ability.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes crossed his arms and grinned as the stranger questioned the sailor.

The First Mate smiled slightly, but was clearly irritated. "Oh uh... we are a bit undermanned you see uh... but you will be compensated" the First Mate said, clearly avoiding the question. He then proceeded to point towards a ladder that led further downwards into the boat. "Got some gear to uh... protect yourself down here" the sailor continued, with an increasingly suspicious tone. He then reached for Faelis' arm to guide him towards the ladder without waiting for a reply.

JackieCat

Now Faelis was really not trusting this guy.  He nimbly stepped away as the man reached for his arm, and cocked his head at the first mate, his smile now replaced by a quite cold look.

"I do not ask for compensation," Faelis said mockingly. "But why are you so undermanned that a few of your men cannot carry a few crates?"

And also, why would one need to get protective gear into the hold of a ship?  Unless, of course, there was something strange going on, which Faelis was sure of.

Were these people not actually honest sailors, but pirates?  It seemed a likely scenario, and Faelis looked quickly to the young man next to him to see how he was reacting to all this.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes grew more amused by the situation. "Also, why ask us? Even if you were truly undermanned there are several other capable passengers on board" Arocraes added, knowing the answer but wanting to coax it from the sailor.

This pair were the only passengers that looked dangerous. The ploy to draw them into the ship's interior away from the rest of the voyagers was a clear trap. However, Arocraes could not understand why the sailor was luring them into it, and if this was a plan generated by the Captain himself.

The sailor was now gritting his teeth, a sign of clear frustration and anger. He looked up towards the Captain, who returned to his duties after making eye contact. The First Mate did not answer either question, but muttered to himself as he walked away. This ship was definitely not just for travel, Arocraes was sure of that, and whatever ulterior motive the crew has involves hurting him, possibly. If they are pirates or smugglers, they surely would not leave precious cargo on the deck of the ship only protected by netting. Whatever is the source to the crew's goal must be hidden with in the ship.

Arocraes turned to the stranger, in hopes that he could find an ally should he find himself in a situation where he needs one. "I never got your name, sir" Arocraes said to the man.

JackieCat

Faelis allowed a small smirk to grow on his face as the young man spoke, and the elf was quite happy with how he handled it.  It was indeed quite strange that the first mate seemed to want to get them out of the way, so now the question was, what for?

When the first mate walked off, grumbling, Faelis turned to smile at the young man, and this time it was more genuine.

"Faelis," he said when his name was asked, though he offered no last name.  "What's your name?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

Arocraes pulled his eyes away from the man and looked at the ladder that led further down in the ship. "Call me Arocraes" he replied to Faelis as he began to move forward. "It's nice to meet you, and I hope it can stay that way" he added as he reached the beginning of the ladder.

Arocraes returned his eyes to Faelis'. "Why don't we have a little adventure?" Arocraes said to him, heading down the ladder anyway.

JackieCat

Faelis nodded, and his smile once again became mischievous as Arocraes headed for the ladder and spoke again. 

"An adventure?  It would be my pleasure."  And he followed the young man down the ladder and into the hold of the ship, his many daggers ready to be drawn at any moment
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arocraes

At the end of the ladder they encountered a narrow corridor, with several closed doors on the adjacent sides and no indication of anyone present at the moment. It already seemed suspicious. At the end of the hallway was a door that was slightly cracked open, followed by a dimming yellow light.

Arocraes marched on forward, drawing his katana. Midway through the hallway, a door creaked open with three armed sailors following suit. Arocraes paused before asking "What is going on?"

JackieCat

As they walked down the hallway, Faelis listed intently for any noise besides the sounds of Arocraes's footsteps, and while he heard some scuffling behind the doors, he couldn't tell if it was the rats or something else.

He heard the men on the other side of the door as it opened, and he narrowed his eyes at them as they emerged and Arocraes, who was in front of him, questioned them.

The men looked at each other, as if silently asking each other what they should do.  it seemed as if they had wanted Faelis and Arocraes to come down here, but not without the first mate.

"Well?" Faelis said, his voice surprisingly dangerous. "My friend here asked you a question, would you like to answer him, perhaps?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: