Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Happy birthday to me! [Dragonsong!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 31, 2016, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Valor's mouth quirked into a playful smirk. "I don't know. Can you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Ka'lei glowered at him and snatched the pie up, stuffing nearly the whole thing into her mouth in a rather petty little show of defiance.

She promptly choked, but tried to hide it, chewing and swallowing as quickly as she could before reaching for a glass of water. "Ahem. Good. It's good."

Rhindeer

Valor burst into laughter and handed her the water. "Maybe actually chew?" he suggested between breaths. Oh, he'd seen that defiant look, all right! He didn't know what, exactly, she was trying to prove by it, but he had a feeling it had something to do with him.

"I really don't know how I'd explain my brand new fiance choking to death on breakfast! Much less...a meat pie." He snickered. "There's such a thing as choking on meat but really..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Blushing furiously now, Ka'lei took the glass and sipped at it as primly as she could manage. "Well, I know that," she grumbled, desperately hoping that she wasn't showing that she actually had no idea what he was referring to by "choking on meat".

From the smirk that curved at his lips, she guessed it was a sex thing. Actually, judging by everything she knew about his personality thus far, it was almost certainly a sex thing.

"So." She took another sip of water. "What happens next? Do you have to like...I dunno, tell your parents you're engaged? Or do you trust the rumor mill will get the news to them?"

Rhindeer

A sour look crossed Valor's face at her question, and he took a large bite of pastry and gulped it down as though that would sweeten the topic.

"Oh, I'm sure it'll get to them eventually. Not that they'll care or even notice," he said. "I'm sure my mother will do something to one up me as soon as possible. She's not good at sharing."

He pushed the crumbs around on his plate, biting back a huff. "I'm the youngest brother of six," he grumbled. "The forgotten brother, the unimportant brother. The 'Flailing Through Life Digging For a Scrap of Attention' brother. Every time. I swear to the gods, every bloody time I do something, anything, someone has to go and just be...more. More successful. More handsome. More charming. Even my goddamned mother is more shocking! Maybe an engagement to a bloody slave will finally do something. Who knows!"

He froze as soon as the words left his mouth, wincing, and looked over at Ka'lei.

"...Sorry," he said, flushing. "I got a little carried away."

DragonSong

Ka'lei blinked, taken aback by his sudden vehemence.

"Easy there," she muttered when he paused, automatically reaching out to touch his arm before she caught herself and drew her hand back. She was quiet for several long moments, considering how best to react to this.

She settled for a soft, "You don't have to apologize..."

Gods, what was she supposed to do? A sisterly instinct to comfort warred with natural and practice caution in her chest, twisting her lips into a considering sort of frown.

"Well... Well, if marrying a slave doesn't set some heads spinning, I'm sure I can think of something that will." She tried for a smile, feeling awkward. Was this the right choice, making a joke? "Y'know, I can be pretty creative when I have to be."

Rhindeer

Though a glum shadow had fallen over him, her words piqued his interest enough to pull those shadows back. Valor blinked over at her and arched a curious eyebrow.

"Can you now?" he said, and quirked a smile. "Well, then I should count myself very lucky indeed to have such a clever 'wife'. I like creative. What were you thinking?"

DragonSong

Well fuck. Now she had to actually come up with something.

Thinking on the fly, Ka'lei offered carelessly, "Well, according to stories I've heard, my father's people aren't exactly monogamous. You could...I dunno, tell your parents that you're respecting your wife's cultural heritage and that we have a handful of paramours in on the relationship or something."

She frowned, tilting her head to look at him. "That would be...attention-grabbing, in Serendipity anyway. Right?" Honestly she wasn't sure-- all she knew of Serenian culture was what she'd heard from slaves who'd been captured or purchased from further north.

Rhindeer

Valor barked a laugh, eyes lighting up. "Oh, I like your father's people. That would be attention grabbing, indeed! Well, then, consider it done. I'm sure at least a few of my ancestors will roll around in their graves."

He grinned, head cocked as he regarded her. "Yoreiq, huh? I've not heard much about that place, except for the bits about winged people like you. Sounds like a fun place. I feel like I was born in the wrong location."

DragonSong

Ka'lei barked a laugh, short, sharp, and bitter. "I wouldn't know," she said with the barest hint of a growl in her voice. "I might have gone, once. Mother promised we would."

She reached for her drink and downed a large gulp of it. Suddenly speaking in almost a whisper, she added, "I dunno, dear husband. I think you're probably pretty lucky to be born where you are. Who you are."

She stared vacantly for a moment, then shook her head and glanced back to Valor, smiling wryly. "I mean, even if your family kinda sucks, you've got the money and power to just...walk away, don't you?"

Rhindeer

Valor paused, staring at her. Until she laid it out like that, the thought had never even occurred to him.

"I, ah, that...that's true, I suppose," he said. "I could. Probably. I mean, yes, I definitely could."

Walk away from it all? Just like that? Could he really?

Would he even want to?

He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling awkwardly. "A holiday in Essyrn sounds nice, at least. After our little talk, and your devious idea, I'm thinking that that might be the best plan with regards to your brother. We get to search for him and partake in the local culture. Kill two birds with one stone, hm?"

He snapped a look at her wings as soon as he said it. "Er, no offense."

DragonSong

Ka'lei snorted and quirked an eyebrow at him. "I'm not actually part bird, y'know," she pointed out with a little chuckle.

Well. At least she didn't think she was. Although...

No. No definitely not.

Probably not.

Whatever.

"Yeah, so. Holiday." She looked back at their dishes, her appetite suddenly shrinking. She picked absently at some kind of blue and orange fruit...something. "A nice little jaunt through the desert." Her brow was furrowed, though she didn't realize it. "How exactly are we gonna look for Kai, hm?"

Rhindeer

"Oh, I don't know," Valor said with a flippant wave of his hand. "But I'm sure it'll come to me. Besides, there can't be that many winged slaves named 'Kai', can there? It can't be that hard."

He flashed her a smile. "I'm sure I can just buy whatever information we need."

DragonSong

Ka'lei blinked at him in silence for a moment. Then she huffed and shook her head, looking back to the food. "Right."

Why wouldn't he? Money was clearly how he'd gotten through everything else in his life.

With a little flutter of her wings, she propped her elbow on the table and rested her cheek in her hand, glancing at him sidelong. "When exactly are you gonna set all this in motion then? Y'know, introduce the little missus to the parents and tell them our plans?"

Rhindeer

"How's tonight sound, darling?" Valor said, flashing Ka'lei a bright grin.

"I know for a fact they're having a banquet tonight. I wasn't originally going to go, considering they decided to host it the day after my birthday while forgetting completely about my birthday--not that I'm mad or anything--buuuut..." He reached out and gently cupped Ka'lei's chin, thumb idly stroking her cheek. "This does change things a bit, doesn't it?"

DragonSong

She stiffened instantly under his touch, but a quick breath was enough to relax the tension again, quickly enough that she hoped he hadn't noticed.

"Tonight," she repeated, almost cautiously. Gods why did he keep touching her? And why didn't she know how to react to it?! Another breath and a smile broke out across her face.

She may as well get used to playing along now, right? She'd been doing an okay job of it so far.

"Sounds good to me." Her smiled turned into a smirk and she turned her head to press a kiss to his palm, fluttering her lashes at him dramatically. "I don't suppose you want your parents to meet your betrothed in this though, do you?" she added with a gesture to her current garments-- if they could really be called that.

Rhindeer

Valor couldn't help but smile approvingly at that kiss. She was a rather good actress, he had to admit. They were really going to pull this off!

At her words, he looked at her--really looked at her--as though he'd forgotten her state of dress. Or rather, undress. Still in that skimpy outfit he'd jokingly called "spidersilk" for all it hid, and worse yet, still collared with manacles at her wrists. Right. Pari. They still had to track down Pari for the damned key.

"I mean, I don't think it's a bad look at all," he said with a wink. "But it's more a bedroom look. No, princess, you belong in silks and jewels. I'll have my servants bring you up something, and then we'll get you some proper clothing. Something that really shows you off. And then we'll get that ugly metal off of you."

He frowned, dipping his hand down from her chin to slip a finger beneath her collar, feeling at the skin beneath. "Is it chafing bad? I can't believe they put this on you. Eat up, lovely, and when you're done, we'll take care of matters."

DragonSong

Her eyes widened slightly, one eyebrow creeping up toward her hairline. "Silks and jewels, huh?" she repeated a little incredulously. The cheap gold manacles around her wrists and neck were the closest she'd ever really come to "fancy" clothing, and she couldn't say she was thrilled with it.

This would be...interesting.

Shaking her head, Ka'lei turned her attention back to her food. Or she tried to. Valor's finger dipping beneath the collar and brushing against her throat had her going stiff again, a flash of instinctive fear quickly replaced with confusion.

"It's, um--" She stammered a bit, then pulled herself together and answered briskly, "It's not that bad, really. I've certainly had worse." She didn't comment on his disbelief that she would have been chained. What could she say to that, really?

Carefully, she pulled back from him, wincing a bit as the metal clinked against her collar bones. Her eyes flickered to her plate and she grabbed for another bite of food, not really tasting it anymore as her head seemed to be spinning a bit.

Rhindeer

One didn't have to be an empath to sense the sudden, sharp change in mood. The way she stammered, the way she tensed, the way she stared at her food, the way playfulness turned to something else entirely.

Valor let his hand fall away as she pulled back, a frown tugging at his lips. But the sudden shift brought with it a wave of recent memory--her fear in the bedroom, ready to use her chains as a weapon, thinking he meant to force himself on her.

He winced. For a moment there, he had forgotten she was a slave. An actual slave off the market, not just a pretty woman playing the part. His world was so far removed from that world--and honestly, he had never even interacted with a real slave before her. Sure, he knew they lived hard lives, but he didn't know the extent of it. He had no way to even imagine it, having lived a life where his only physical discomfort was having venison for dinner when he was craving duck.

"Worse. Really?" He cleared his throat awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. "That's...not good."

DragonSong

"Yeah, no shit," Ka'lei snorted, giving him an arch look. "What, you think I got on a boat and left my brother three countries away willingly?"

The moment the words left her mouth she winced internally. They were a little sharper than she'd intended, though of course true-- but she hadn't really wanted to reveal that much to begin with. Valor seemed a decent enough sort, a few quirks that she could attribute to a wealthy existence aside, but she still wasn't sure just how much she wanted him to know about her. How human she wanted to seem.

One of the worst parts of the life she'd lived was being seen as less than human; so she'd learned to use that to her advantage. If you weren't human, you couldn't hurt the way that humans hurt.

How human did she want Valor to see her?

With a little huff, she pushed her plate away and sat back in her chair, as far as she could with her wings in the way. "I think I'm done," she muttered, sighing and reaching up to rub the back of her neck. The food was truly amazing, but she doubted she'd be able to stomach much more. Going from bread and water to this decadence couldn't really be good for her.