Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Divine Interventions [Kada]

Started by DragonSong, February 03, 2020, 08:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Another glance was exchanged between the djinn and his mistress, a silent, near instantaneous conversation. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Lapis wondered if she should be concerned that she didn't need to actually hear his voice in her head to know what he was thinking.

Slowly, she released a breath and looked up to Fahru. Both she and Zahir were visibly more tense while the perfumer held the pendant, but she was too timid to ask for it back and Zahir was either too proud, or didn't care as much as she'd thought.

"I am...I was an...apprentice, of sorts. To a scholar," she started slowly. "Back when...before I was a freewoman. When he died, he willed me my freedom, and all of his work. He w-wanted me to continue what he did--"

Zahir rolled his eyes. "He doesn't need your entire life story, ka-riin."

She flushed and glared at him. "Anyway." She looked back to Fahru, and all of the awkward fumbling had vanished in the wake of her irritation. Behind her back, Zahir's lips twitched in the ghost of a satisfied smile. "I did that, for a while. I traveled, and I learned. My main field of study is arcane artifacts. Like that." She nodded toward the pendant Fahru still held. "I didn't expect to find it. I stumbled across it in a sort of...antique shop, and I recognized that it was...old. Older than almost anything I'd come across before."

Her eyes narrowed slightly as she chewed absently at her bottom lip. "I've never had any gift for magic myself, but I've trained nearly all my life to recognize the arcane. I still don't know what that thing is, exactly, but, well..."

"She decided to play with it."

"Experiment!" Lapis protested with another glare at him. Zahir smiled innocently. With a huff, the young scholar shrugged angrily and gestured toward the pendant again, then her smirking companion. "And, well...he happened. I don't--I still don't know how. If he does, he's not telling."

Zahir lounged a little more pointedly in his seat, head cocked and one eyebrow quirked. "How much do you know about djinn, exactly, Craftsman Fahru?" he asked as Lapis fell quiet.

Kadakism

"I know what everyone knows," Fahru admitted after listening to Lapis' story. She had lived a very long life despite her youth, and it saddened him a bit as it always did when he heard of or saw people in chains. He set the pendant back down onto the table and returned to his seat and his tea.

"That is to say, not much concrete. Everyone hears the stories of temptation, of destruction, but also the ones of wishes and mutual aid. But regardless of what I have heard and what I have read, I decided a long time ago that my first instinct should be to reserve judgement until I know more. After all, most would regard the scorpion and the viper as an evil upon the world. Yet their venom, when properly treated, create wonderful medicines and perfume binders."

He wasn't sure what to make of all of this. It was by far the furthest out of his comfort zone any pull of his heart had taken him. And so close to home too. Strange how that worked. "If I may however. I think that the two of you have grown complacent in what you both clearly consider a bad situation. Neither of you seems to truly want to be together, but you are stuck with one another. And to that end..."

Fahru's gaze fell onto Zahir, his face turning into a stony, paternal expression. The kind that he often used to guilt those who tried to cheat him into being honest with their dealings. He had no illusion that it would work on a Djinn, but it was his automatic response and so he defaulted to it.

"Do you know more than you are telling your companion? Why would you keep parts of your nature from her, when you so clearly would like to be rid of her? Could being honest not help achieve that goal?"

DragonSong

Every inch of Zahir's body had grown gradually sharper, harder as he listened to Fahru speak. Lapis didn't even think it was anger, or his pride, not really. It was...wariness. The kind of tension held in a hunted animal.

Which was more than a little surprising. And confusing. She had always seen the djinn play the lion, never the gazelle he chased.

She almost shrank back herself under the perfumer's suddenly stony gaze, and was only save from doing so because that look was not directed at her, but rather her companion. She watched, wide-eyed, unable to say anything--and what would she have said, really? Nothing Fahru had said about their complacency seemed wrong.

"...It would hurt her."

She jerked as though Zahir's words had physically struck her, and without thinking yelped, "What?"

But the djinn wasn't looking at her. He hadn't moved from his carelessly sprawled pose in the chair, but his jaw was tight as he fixed his eyes on Fahru's face. "Djinn...we are bound. By contract, by blood, by magic, by all three at once. Even the worst of us, who seek to destroy, may only do so through careful plotting, countless tiny loopholes in their agreements to exploit." He shrugged, and for a moment seemed as though he wanted to look away, but then drew in a breath and held his gaze. "My contract forbids my from harming the one who holds it. And the truth would hurt her."

Lapis gaped openly. Zahir still wouldn't look at her.

"We serve. Badly sometimes, dangerously even, but we are servants. Nothing more. And...if the truth...were that I did not want to leave her service...for reasons even I cannot fully understand..." He spoke so slowly, carefully, refusing to look at Lapis--and she realized he was doing exactly what he said. Working around the contract. He wasn't telling her a truth that could hurt her.

What does he mean by that...?

"If it were true that she has been...a rare spot of compassion in a long, long life, I still could not tell her. Because even service to a kind master is service coerced through contract, and that is--"

"Slavery."

Lapis felt a yawning pit open in her stomach. She covered her face with her hands and bowed forward as the realization struck her. And oh, he was right. It did hurt. And it hurt worse for being obvious, if she gave it more than a passing thought. More than a moment of frustrated pondering.

Because if she had known, if she had understood, she would have done anything to free him. And...that was not what he wanted. He would never be free, not really, merely left to waste away in a magic amulet until the next master picked it up. And who knew if that person would be kind.

Zahir was still not looking at her, all the easy, sloping grace of his body hardened into broken edges sharp enough to cut. "So yes, Craftsman Fahru. Honesty would make things clear. But to understand would bring her pain, and so I could not speak the words unless to one who understood what I am, and who asked...even knowing that should she hear, it would hurt."

Finally, he looked to her, though she could not see it. She was huddled in the chair, still covering her face, shoulders shaking as she clearly fought back sobs. His expression softened, just a bit. "And even if my contract did not bind me...that was never something I wished for her."

Kadakism

Fahru was quick to stand back up, walking around the table and reaching out with his massive arms to pick both Lapis and Zahir up in a big, fatherly hug. He didn't ask to do this despite his earlier insistence on their comfort above all else, because like Lapis he was absolutely overcome with emotion at the story he was hearing. His eyes watered endlessly as he embraced the two of them, pulling them close to his perfumed beard.

"Don't talk," he whispered to them, closing his eyes. His grip was firm enough to hold them close but loose enough that if they wanted, they could easily break out. "These feelings - the pain, they are good. Catharsis, a philosopher once told me, can only come through a cascade of emotion. Don't fight it. Cry if you must. That is why we are here."

DragonSong

The second he was pulled from the chair, Zahir vanished in a slight golden shimmer and brief puff of saffron-scented air. He reappeared almost instantaneously just a few steps away, scowling and twitching like a horse trying to rid itself of a fly.

Lapis, for her part, tried valiantly to dry her eyes--subtlety was a bit of a lost cause, as she was pressed into Fahru's chest, but she did her best to keep her face averted as she swiped at the tears.

The hug was nice. She almost didn't want it to be, she really didn't feel like she deserved it after what she'd just learned, but it was. She sniffed and allowed herself to lean into the perfumer a bit. She couldn't look at Zahir.

"So." The djinn folded his arms. He was still tense, glowering, but he didn't try to rebuke Fahru. "Now you know. I'm sorry for any discomfort it may cause you, but there is really nothing else to be done for us. Perhaps your...divine gift...sensed our turmoil, but it is not something that can really be fixed." He glanced away, scowl deepening, and muttered, "As I should have known."

Lapis managed to pull herself together enough to protest, "Zahir, we can't--there has to be something!" Her voice was still thick with tears. "I won't--I can't--"

The djinn stared at her, expressionless. Her voice died in her throat and she quelled under his gaze, ducking her head again.

Kadakism

Fahru wanted to laugh, to make a comment about how Zahir's response to the hug was like a cat being given a bath. But Lapis needed the comfort of both his arms, so he hugged the girl tight until she was ready to be let go. When that immediate task was done, he turned his attention back to the djinn.

"I wouldn't say that. I have never met a problem that I couldn't solve with enough time and ingenuity. And cooperation from the people involved," he added with a sly look between the two of them. Fahru wiped the stray tears from his eyes, drying his hands on his silks before pulling his pipe back out to smoke.

"I have opinions, of course. But they are just my opinions and I don't think either of you are keen on the first thought that pops into my brain. Still..." he said with a puff, letting a small cloud of fragrant smoke billow and disperse around his head. "I think that you might be looking at this the wrong way. You seem to think that the only solution would be to break the magic that binds you. And that may be true in the strictest sense. But what is it that Hakeshna teaches?"

Fahru waited for a moment, not really expecting an answer from either of them. "They teach us that we all have our place in the world. That fate, for whatever reason, puts us where it means us to be. Tell me Zahir, tell me. Are you happy, being in the service of your young miss? Does it make you glad to be with her, even under the circumstances?"

DragonSong

"I—"

The djinn stopped, frowning. His lips drew into a tight line, and Lapis winced a bit as she pulled back from Fahru and tried to swipe at her eyes in an attempt to pull herself back together. Gods, that was embarrassing.

She didn't exactly have the attention to dwell on the embarrassment though, as Zahir was just sort of...looking at her. Not quite glaring, but almost.

She shivered under the strange, sudden intensity of that look, flicking her eyes around the room—anywhere but at his.

"...Happy," Zahir finally said, slowly, "is perhaps not the word I would use. Happiness requires freedom...But as that is not a phenomenon within my grasp, I would say I am...content enough."

Lapis jerked a bit, staring at him in turn now. What? He was—well he certainly never acted like it!

And no matter what he said, she heard what was unsaid as well; he didn't think freedom was a possibility, and so had settled for—for not awful. For a relatively compassionate master, even if she had been ignorant of her true role in their contract.