Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Anagantíos [Xoonla]

Started by Zylle, May 26, 2016, 12:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylle

A lone figure walked through the dense Niahi Woods in the mid-afternoon, though the forest remained dark despite the persistent sunlight that tried to pour through the foliage. The robed figure continued with purpose in its steps, until finally it reached the bank of a tarn nestled deep within the woodlands. They paused and surveyed their surroundings before finally lifting their hood to reveal the teenage girl's face underneath. Her hair was dark and cut short, to her chin. Her eyes were a steely gray, and her expression was rather haughty.

"Jörmungandr! I summon you!" She called out at the lake's edge.

At first, all remained still. It seemed her words had achieved nothing, until suddenly, bubbles began to simmer to the top of the water. The girl eyed them indifferently before a large, serpentine creature abruptly shot up from beneath the murky waters. The girl looked up at it with a quirked brow as it towered over her diminutive form, dripping poison and blood from its fangs.

"Who beckons me?" It asked of her in a piercing voice.

"It is I, Jillian," the girl replied evenly. Jörmungandr lowered its head to examine her more closely, and its tongue flitted out of its mouth to trail down her face and around her chin. Jillian grimaced, but made no other complaint. Once the giant snake was satisfied, it rose back to its full height.

"You've come to make a wish," it observed.

"...That's right. For immortality."

Jillian glanced down at the water just in time to see a second head emerge from beneath to join the first, and she furrowed her brows as she noticed the two heads were joined on one body.

"It's not that simple," the second head piped in with a deep, booming voice. It wrapped itself around the first head, and the two looked at each other with wicked smiles. "You see, only one of us is the real Jörmungandr."

The two heads laughed. "And you're going to have to guess which one is which!"

"Then I get my wish?" Jillian asked with a small, annoyed scowl.

"Not quite."

"Either one you choose gets to...eat you!"

Jillian's scowl deepened, until she smirked. "Eat me? I'd like to see either of you try."

"Let me explain," the first head began, lowering itself down to where she stood again and coiling itself around her. She watched it, never dropping her guard. "When you are eaten, you will be transported to a magical place where all of your innermost desires will be granted."

The second joined the first. "But, if you guess wrong -- you'll be digested for five hundred years."

The two heads uncurled themselves once more, laughing again. Jillian frowned. "So all I have to do is guess?"

"That's right."

"No, wrong! You have to play...a little game." Both heads grinned at her menacingly.

"Yes?" Jillian asked further, impatience tainting her tone. They leaned down once more, their fangs mere inches from her face.

"One of us tells only lies..." the first began.

"...And the other tells only truths," the second added.

"By asking us only one question..."

"...You must decide which is the real Jörmungandr."

They both smirked at her.

Jillian was silent as she considered the riddle set before her, and the two snake heads waited, both already beginning to salivate at the prospect of a fresh meal. After several speechless moments, Jillian's arrogant smirk returned. "My question will be..."

"Yes?" The two heads slowly said at once.

"If you were your brother..." Jillian's smile widened, "which one would you say is Jörmungandr?"

The two snakes couldn't hide their surprise.

"Which one are you asking?" The second inquired.

Jillian shook her head. "It doesn't matter."

Both heads looked rather confounded at this, and exchanged a hesitant glance. "That's easy," the second head said after a moment, regaining its composure. It glanced to its brother. "It's him!"

"Of course, it's me!" The first laughed.

Jillian's expression shifted to that of triumph. "Then I choose...you!" She pointed to the second head. Both gasped in appall.

"What made you choose me? I said it was him!" The second head demanded.

Jillian chuckled. "If you were the truth-telling head, then what you would say would be a lie, because you would answer truthfully what your lying brother would say. Therefore, I can safely say that the answer will be the opposite of what you say. On the other hand, if you were the lying head, then you would tell me what your truth-telling brother would say would be a lie. Therefore, the answer will also be the opposite of what you say. Understand?"

The two eyed each other. "...Of course."

Jillian smirked more, and watched as the second head slowly opened its jaws wide. "Go on, then!" The first head goaded its brother on as the second head plunged itself down on top of the girl and swallowed her whole.

"Aaah," the second head sighed in satisfaction.

"Little did she know we're both liars," the first head snickered.

"Magic? I haven't done that since I was a little hatchling!" The second added in delight. Both laughed heartily.

Jillian now found herself inside the stomach of the giant serpent. Its dark saliva had coated her long robes, and with a look of disgust she wiped some of the excess off as she looked around in the darkness. Where was the magical place of which Jörmungandr had spoken? Jillian waited. Nothing.

As time passed, Jillian's anger slowly grew. It was quite clear to her now that she was not going to get a wish from this creature. She'd allowed it to swallow her for nothing. The girl growled in fury as shadow magic began to surround her. Her eyes flashed white.

With a blood-curdling howl she released a wave of magic, bursting forth from the beast and sending chunks of its flesh in all directions as it exploded from the inside. The great snake screeched in agony as it fell back into the water, its green blood coating the top of the lake as it sank to the bottom of its watery grave. Jillian now hovered above the water, panting aloud as her wrath gradually subsided. Upon calming down a bit she looked over herself and noticed that not only was she covered in the creature's saliva, but also some of its innards, blood and pulp.

"Hm," she grimaced. No telling what she might attract in these woods smelling the way she did now. She flew off in search of a clean water source in which to bathe.

It didn't take Jillian long to find such a place -- and this river was free of any lying snake creatures, besides. After venturing beneath the waterfall to rid herself of excess excrement, she hung her clothes on a nearby tree's branch and submerged herself to begin washing herself more thoroughly.

Xoonla

Tzaan had been asleep. He had been asleep for so very long, close approaching two years now.  It was not the measly sleep of a mortal, although the beast did follow a similar sleep pattern most of the time, it was more akin to hibernation: the sleep of a monster who knows that they must rest because the world has had enough of them, and they risk being speared where they stand otherwise, not that any mere spear could penetrate the scales of this monster. Moss and lichen covered his scales, testament to how long he had slept, but this was nothing.

Once, Tzaan had slept so long, a passing tribe of mortals decided he and the land he slept on would be good enough to build a village on. How surprised Tzaan was when he awoke, only to find that he had the weight of a small building keeping him down. The humans didn’t realise that he wasn’t a nice rock feature, and how surprised they were when he rose like a storm, roaring and flaming fit to wake the dead. They screamed and ran, but the dragon devoured every last one of them, along with their livestock. It was a welcome meal after more than a decade of sleep.

Now, the dragon would quite happily have slept a decade more, and perhaps this would have been best for the girl, but the mention of Jormungandr woke him. It was an ancient name, and resonated deep in his soul. The world serpent was an old being, the calling of its true name enough to stir the dragon from his slumber. A single eyelid flicked open, revealing an orb of ever-changing colours. It looked around the clearing, somewhat thoughtfully. It must have been a long time; most of these trees were mere striplings when the beast had settled. Despite this, he rose, sending small animals scattering. Two thoughts fought for dominance in his mind: his rage at having being awakened so early, and his hunger, having not eaten in over a year. He drew air into his lungs, and set off in the direction of the summons.

Almost half an hour of walking later, and the pool was at his feet. He would have flown, but his wings refused to work, refused to believe that he was truly awake. Give them a day or so. All around the pool, Tzaan could smell dragon, but Tzaan could not see dragon. This angered him more: what could potentially have been a meal had either scattered or died. Now he was even more hungry, what could have been a feast whipped from under his nose. He drew breath once more, and caught another scent. Not dragon, that was for sure. He glanced around the pool one more time, and wandered after the scent.

The girl would not feel Tzaan coming in way of vibrations, for the dragon was not some lumbering stack of meat, and moved with grace, elegance, and purpose. Therefore despite his large size, he would be mostly undetectable, until he drew within a few metres; after that, despite his smooth scales, and his moving low to the ground, the mortal would no doubt see him, or may even notice the faint ripples on the surface of the pool. Tzaan however, could not see her. His eyes were still adjusting to being used, and they didn’t register the girl until he was inches from the water. No doubt she could see him.

Now, Tzaan was what might be called a civilised beast, and as such, knew about what other species called ‘nakedness’. He understood the fact that they thought it embarrassing, and knew from past experience that it would be difficult to talk to a mortal who felt they were underdressed. Their speech would be full of stutters and stammers, and it would only prompt the beast to eat the girl quicker. Instead of talking, Tzaan just lay at the edge of the pool, and watched the girl, deciding to play deaf until she was in fit state to talk, to answer his question about the lack of dragon, and tell him why she would not make a suitable meal. He watched her with a look of hunger, not the sexual hunger of men, but a deep, primal urge for meat. One of his claws trailed just beneath the surface of the water. Within a few minutes, the water would be freezing, and a few minutes before that, it would be frozen. Hopefully, it would prompt the girl to move faster.

Zylle

Jillian glowered into the water beneath her, quietly fuming over her missed chance at immortality. So many leads had formed dead ends so far, and it was becoming increasingly frustrating. Did no one in this world know a fool-proof way to gain eternal youth? A silly question, she supposed. Of course something so grand would not be easy to attain.

Still, the longer it took her, the older she would become. It would do her no good to become immortal at the ripe old age of eighty. And besides...she didn't want to remain under her teacher's thumb her whole life. She had plans.

While Jillian ruminated over all of this, she began to get the sensation of being watched, and whipped her head around to face the embankment where her clothes still hung, tugged by the breeze. She stayed still, scanning in silence, until eventually deciding she'd heard nothing -- or perhaps a bird, or fallen branch -- and returning to her bath. She knew there were often hunters and rangers about in these woods, but who besides her would be fool enough to venture this deep inside? Most would balk at the idea of coming here, especially alone. Jillian smirked to herself at the thought.

"Ugh!" She gasped, feeling an abrupt chill run through the water. She swore aloud and flew out of the river, landing near her clothing and wrapping her cloak around herself in an attempt to regain some warmth. Then she stopped dead in her tracks.

A dragon was watching her by the river's bank, where she'd been only moments before.

Xoonla

((Sorry this one's relatively short, but I had some stuff going on. They'll be longer from her on in, no worries))

The dragon watched in amusement when the mortal flew from the water, pleased that while his wings slept, is magic hadn't deserted him. But this amusement was barely there, barely noticeable under the weight of the rage and hunger. If the girl hadn't noticed that it was not really in the mood for any extended conversation other than where its next meal came from, she would notice it now.

The wyrm rose to it's feet, and walked closer to the girl, one clawed foot crashing through the still waters of the pool. The water reached just above what could be considered its 'ankle', and something strange started happening. While having a claw in the liquid would ensure ice within a few minutes, a whole foot was already giving the water that glazed over look it has when it turns solid.

The creature leaned as close as he could to the girl, and unless she moved backwards, this would be very close indeed.

"Why...." he said, the way his moth was formed forcing him to draw out the last letter. "Are you here...." The way he asked the question, it wasn't a question, but a statement. The statement of an angry beast, fully capable of swallowing the girl whole.

By now the whole pool was frozen, the dragons foot in the middle of it. It didn't seem to notice the fact, not even the tendrils of ice that were creeping up it's leg. It seemed completely focused on the girl, it's hunger even more evident in it's eyes. It ran a tongue over would could be considered to be it's lips, probably not a comforting sign.

Zylle

(As long as you're not one-lining, I'm not fussed; write as much or as little as you feel necessary.)

Jillian remained still, passively watching the creature lumber towards her. Normally the dragon's method of getting her attention would have angered her, but she was more curious than vengeful: dragons were a rare sight, even for one such as her. Clearly he was hungry and agitated, but she'd have to disappoint him if he thought she was his next meal. And anyway, she thought as she stole a quick glance back at his frozen leg, he wasn't going anywhere very quickly right now.

It was obvious to her that he didn't really care why she was here, nor did he want an answer. He was uncomfortably close now, but she stubbornly refused to budge.

"I know where you can find something to sink your teeth into," Jillian told him. "Something more satisfying than me."

Xoonla

The dragon laughed mirthlessly when she told him that she knew what he could eat, something 'more satisfying' than her. He had heard it many times before.

"Do you take me for a fool?" It hissed, but with a grin in its voice. "That must be, as your race says, the oldest trick in the book. I fell for it the first time, and even then scepticism plauged my mind. No" it  said, shaking its head. "What could have perhaps have prevented this would be the dragon you killed, up north. As it happens, it is inedible"

Tzaan didn't know if the girl had killed the other wyrm for sure, but he was fairly certain she had. She was the only other scent there after all.

The dragon moved slightly, and pulled its foot out the ice effortlessly, proving that the solid water presented little for the beast to worry about. It placed its foot on the land, and leant lower towards the girl, its face mere inches from heres, presuming she didn't retreat.

"No..." it purred like a cat, albiet a rather large cat with teeth like swords. "Why should I not eat you now? You present little threat at the moment, and besides, what's stopping me..." the wyrm seemed to be talking to itself now, but its eyes didn't leave the girl. "You obviously use magic...unless humans have learnt to fly in the past year or so... Do you know what magic meat tastes like?" It asked the question sincerely, as if it was actually wondering if the girl had attempted cannibalism. " It tastes..." the wyrm paused. "When I think about it... your tongue has no word to describe it... but I assure you, it tastes better than anything you have ever consumed. It's a shame I don't plan to let you live, unless you can come up with a reason why I should..."

The beast grinned, opening its mouth slightly to reveal its sharpened teeth, and leaned closer, tongue running along its jaws.