Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sleeping Beauty's Rude Awakening

Started by DragonSong, June 16, 2016, 12:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Spicyspice

The dream had lasted for thousands of years.

Ilona stood on the outer wall of the palace, knuckles white as she gripped the rampart and leaned out over the edge, a scream caught in her throat.

Her city was burning, burning, burning, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Cries for help and shrieks of agony echoed in her ears, and she could do nothing! These were her people, they looked to her for guidance, for security, and she had failed them.

Then, with a great, rumbling boom, the walls collapsed beneath her and everything went black. An inhuman cry was torn from her as she fell into nothingness.

But it didn't last. A light slowly sparked into existence, a soft glow just above her, a single silver star, and she reached for it desperately, feeling its heat brush her fingers, but she could never...quite...touch...

Then the darkness set in, until it all started over again.

Deep in the ruins of Fell, she slept, hidden away in a decaying tower in the western wing of what had once been a grand, glittering palace. Though enchantment had saved the princess from the ravages of time, it had done nothing for the walls around her, several holes having opened in the stones. Her magnificent fourposter bed had nearly rotted away, sheer curtains long since replaced with thick layers of cobwebs.

But Ilona lay peacefully amidst the dust and decay, a silvery sort of glow just barely covering her body, preserving her from the ruin around her. Her hair was fanned artfully around her body, hands clasped over her stomach. Two silver cuffs and a collection of bangles graced her arms and wrists, a simple silver necklace hanging just past her breasts, and a thin, elegant circlet bearing the crest of her kingdom rested on her head.

Aside from the jewelry, there was no indication that the sleeping young woman was of noble birth, dressed as she was in a simple white nightdress in thin slippers that- without the benefit of enchantment- would never have protected her against the biting winds that howled through the chamber.

She slept, and she waited.

visualspice

Black hair spiraled through the snow bitten wind. White puffed grunts escaped from shivering lips. He was as out of place here as the sun, that of which he was certain had been swallowed away by some sky beast who breathed out this cold, white ash into the world, a world he cursed.

He couldn't have know thats precisely what it was. Had he known he would have avoided this place all together. But it seems even bad luck has its reasons, and even though he wouldn't know his.... He would, however, come to know hers.

His footfalls were angry and heavy, even becoming more irrate and desperate when the winds picked up. If he could cut down those winds he would, but even when his temper got the better of him and stained his cheeks red from anger while his hair and clothing hung with layers of ice, his sword was useless. Yet still he tried, using all the strength he could muster and focused it against the icy winds.

He'd likely look a fool to those who knew better,but know better he did not. And when his rage came blinding and his anger peaked, the very ground he stomped on gave way- And down, down into the depths of the forgotten, his own cries strangled by the darkness and heard by no one,no one at all.

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

The dream, the dream that had haunted her for millennia, suddenly changed.

A voice. A voice she didn't recognize, shouting in anger that tore through her mind. For the first time in thousands of years, Ilona moved, just a slight frown and a shift on the bed, as though her nightmares were finally showing through her deceptively peaceful sleep.

It wasn't much, but it was enough to shift the magic in the ruins, corrupted as it was. Anyone sensitive to the arcane would feel it, perhaps even be able to track where it was coming from.

visualspice

A long, wheezing groan of pain escaped him the second his breath returned, and he was clinging onto himself and cursing at the pain. Pissed after realizing he had simply fell, his body began to shake with rage and he scooped up his sword, making petty and feeble threats towards the sky from which he fell.

But he knew it was in vain, and his eyes watered in frustration. And just as he was about to throw another rotten tantrum, a strange, cat sized black figure rushed past his form. The young man jumped and turned to watch the creatures long tail disappear behind a large column that had since been greyed and cracked from age.

Not knowing what else to do or who to blame,he demanded, "Hey! You! Creature! Get back here and start explaining why the damn ground around here dared to break underneath my boots!" But when he got no response, his cheeks puffed out in an enraged breath before he stormed after the damned thing.

"Get back here you little demon shitter or I'll _" And just like that, he fell right through the ground again. And something... Or rather 'someone' broke his fall.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Well.

That certainly did the trick.

If she'd been able to think about it, Ilona might have found it ironic that, with all the stories she'd heard as a child of enchanted princesses being awakened by true love's kiss or some such silly prattle, what wound up working for her was being nearly flattened by a stranger.

Of course, she was far too disoriented to really think clearly at all, much less dissect the situation. Not to mention the fact that- well, she still seemed to be stuck half asleep. Her nightmare had vanished in a poof, but she couldn't quite open her eyes. She could feel the weight of a body of her hers, but it was so damned hard to move her limbs.

"What's happening? Who are you? Get off me!" she shouted.

Or, well...tried to shout. What actually came out was a rasping, wheezing sort of grunt, not becoming of a princess at all.

visualspice

Any irony here was lost on the demon prince (or half demon, at least, as it were). He never truly grew up with any of those stories (not that he could remember much of anything- any thoughts past waking up in this cold unforgiving world was lost to him- a foggy, incomprehensible haze at best. So landing on a pretty girl (magical or not) was a bit lost on him as all kinds of parts of him hurt from that fall.

He groaned and moved to pick himself up, wincing as he felt a sharp cut bleed open on his cheek, and a stinging sensation burning in his hand. It seemed his second fall was a lot less ceremonious than the first, because his once (somewhat) pristine white suit was now dusted in aged cobwebs and what he's come to call 'ash'.

However, his words weren't lost on him because it was enough to draw his attention from his own pain down to her. And for a moment he paused, hand pressed to his forehead and half raked through his hair. He felt so dizzy that if he didn't hold his head like that, he feared it might roll off. So it was making it hard for him to figure out just exactly what was going on.....
Except when it registered it was some pretty yellow haired young woman...
He couldn't help but continue to stare, a bit wonderstruckly- but definitely a look of true confusion, appreciation was laced in with his nativity.

DragonSong

Almost painfully slowly, Ilona forced her eyes open and found herself staring into a stranger's face. Her throat worked, but no sound came out, and try as she might she couldn't seem to get her body to move beyond a few small wiggles.

"Who...who..." she croaked out, her voice raspy and barely even a whisper.

She coughed, cobwebs and dust billowing around them. "Wh-who are you?"

visualspice

She wasn't the only one coughing as the dust kicked up. He winced.
"Who am I?" He kept his teeth gritted. "Shouldn't I be the one asking you?"
But he felt strange, something definitely felt off about this girl... about this place.
He felt so irritable, and impatient.

"Why are you here? Is this your home?" he began, unable to stop himself once he began. "This place is really shabby. I've fallen through three floors since I've gotten here, " (Though techincally it was two, but he didn't want his claims to sound lame.) , "I have to deal with these cold,w hite ash all over the place and you've been the only real person I've seen!"
But then his eyes narrowed on her as he finally moved to sit back and away from her.
"You... are real, aren't you?"

And he blinked, looking around at the place, the wreckage, the dust, the cobwebs...
Then the girl int he simple night shift. His face skewed.
"What the hell are you doing here?!"

DragonSong

Ilona blinked as he began to speak rapid fire- ash? What on earth was he talking about?- and finally found herself able to move, albeit only slightly. Groaning, she pushed herself up onto her elbows.

"My...home. Yes," she rasped out, and coughed violently again. She looked around as he did, taking in the ruin and decay.

Oh gods. How long had she been asleep?

"I- I live here," she whispered in answer to his question. Some of the hoarseness had left her voice, but she still didn't have much volume. "This is my...my bedchamber..."

Wide-eyed, she stared around again, then up at the hole in the ceiling- had he said he'd fallen through the floor?

"Heavens above," she breathed at the sight of snow drifting down into the chamber. Her eyes flicked back to him. So many questions, so many things she needed to say, she couldn't even think straight.

Her arms wrapped around her middle and she shivered violently. "Gods and demons, 'tis bloody freezing in here!"

visualspice

Ehvren's face contorted into his own skewed emotion as she blonde girl looked around.
"Live here?" What, was she crazy? Yeah, she definitely was crazy. Who would choose this place to live? Certainly not him!

But at her comment about Gods and demons, he felt himself getting all riled up.
"Don't blame this on demons or Gods. It's your home. You chose to live here!"

Honestly! Why did she look so surprised!? Did she have a bad memory or something?

DragonSong

She shook her head, eyes wide as she still stared around. She seemed to ignore him, or perhaps she didn't hear him.

"This is wrong," she whispered, shivering. "Cold. It's so cold. If tis winter, there should be a fire in the great hall, and the pyromancers would be-"

She swallowed thickly. Suddenly her eyes snapped back to the man. "You." Her voice was suddenly sharp and commanding, though with a lilting quality to it that had earned her the moniker "Silvertongued".

"How did you get here? No, better yet- how did you wake me?"

visualspice

Ehvren had no idea how to deal with this woman, but it irritated him to no end she was about as confused here as he was! But when she turned that tone towards him, he bared his teeth, not unlike a dog as his chest puffed.

"I told you," he growled, an almost dangerous nature to his words as he moved to give her some space. "I fell through your house." He sneered, teeth still bared. "The grounds here are week, the weather here is shitty and I just fell through some rotting, ash and cobwebbed covered house." His body was nearly shaking now as his voice was rumbling into a deeper growl.

"What you should be asking is how I managed to survive that fall and don't want to strangle you!"
And even he had to think about it and got pissed off at himself for not doing just that!
"Why are you even here? This place is awful!"

DragonSong

Ilona bristled at his tone. She sat up straighter.

"Mind your tongue," she warned coolly. Things may have changed, but... "I am still the Crown Princess, and you would do well to treat me as such."

Princess of a kingdom long since fallen to ruin, but she didn't realize that.

Carefully, she got to her feet. Body weak from too long disuse, she nearly stumbled but managed to right herself by catching at one of the bed posts. "And you still haven't answered my question. How did you wake me? What spell did you use?"

visualspice

"Princess?" Scoffing wasn't his style, but he did sneer. "What, are you the Princess of Ashes?" But her bristling made him bristle more as his eyes narrowed upon her. And though obviously infuriated, there was something about his blue eyes that seemed..... far different than his outter irritation displayed.

"And what does a princess mean to me when she's not my princess at all?" His voice was almost a dangerous purr, but again, it seemed more like a dog guarding something as he added, "Besides, where I come from? You should bow to me."

He couldn't believe the audacity of this woman! But he refused to answer her question- but he also didn't have an answer because he didn't know exactly where she was going with it!

DragonSong

She scoffed at him and tossed her hair, necklace and bangles tinkling softly. "Very well. Do as you will, I'll not sink to your level to hold you in such contempt," she said with cool disinterest, though inside she was panicking a little.

Was he a prince? A lord? A king? She'd thought she'd known every foreign dignitary important enough to warrant her respect, but she didn't recognize him.

Just how long has she been asleep? Long enough for her bedchamber to become a dilapidated mess, her ceiling so covered by the snow outside he'd called it the floor.

Oh gods. Her parents...

She took a shaky breath, then held her hand out to him delicately. "Forgive me, I am quite out of sorts and I forget myself. I am Ilona Anastazia Corvinus, first of her name, Crown Princess and sole heir to the throne of-"

She stumbled, eyes widenening as as suddenly realized- she couldn't remember. "Of- of this land. Who are you, stranger?"

visualspice

Could he act on his 'better' judgement, he should have just let her to rot here all alone. But apart of him, unfortunately, was just as lonely and confused as she. Not that he'd admit it.

Simmering blue eyes were taking in her surroundings. He wasn't stupid enough not to be able to figure out this was a fallen kingdom, so when she went on to introduce herself, he only looked at her when she mentioned that she ruled here.

"So you're a princess of Ruins?" He couldn't help but sass back that answer, but he felt more defensive, even as she was trying to be... well, 'nice'.

He sneered and looked her over.

"Well, I'm a Prince... Prince Envhren of-" But there he faltered, cheeks turning red with anger as he turned away. "Of one Hell of a better place than this." Or so he hoped. But he couldn't help but growl at his own frustration.

Was he a prince? Yes, that much he felt he knew. But everything else? It was so hazy... and trying to recall it...

Growling, he got to his feet.

"Look, I'm not supposed to be here. In fact, I don't even know where here is. And frankly, I don't really care." He looked her over then away. "If you're some royal, call out for your men and see them escort me out of this Gods forsaken sink hole of a kingdom."
He was so done here.

DragonSong

She glared at him, straightening her shoulders. "I would," she said, voice icy. "But, as you have so eloquently pointed out, my kingdom is in ruins."

For a moment she faltered, a threat of tears in her throat, then she swallowed it down. A princess must keep her composure. "I don't believe my people live anymore. At least not in this place."

visualspice

Well this was infuriating! How useless was she!? The more he remained in her presence, the more he believed she was as useless as the rotting floorboards he fell through!

"So what, you're people are dead and you're only now realizing this?" How dumb was she!? "Are you sure you weren't just dropped on your head and were left here to rot?"

DragonSong

Ilona realized her hand was shaking and she clenched it into a first, trying to rein in her anger.

"Do you honestly believe I would sleep while my world fell to ruin around me?" she hissed. "I have a hard time believing someone so simple could be a prince."

Well. There went her resolution to be diplomatic. But she just couldn't keep the anger in, fueled by confusion, grief, and panic.

"I was enchanted you blockhead," she snapped. Her magic started to fizzle just under the surface of her skin, but she was so incensed she hardly noticed.

visualspice

His expression flared at her attack.
"I don't even know you!" he barked. "For all I know you were the one who killed them all and lead this place into a waste land!"

Tags: