Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A traveller arrives...

Started by Anonymous, January 11, 2006, 11:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Storm awoke soon after Jarrus. She got up from her bed and started to stretch. Today was going to be a very long day indeed.  She put on her leathers and made sure to put on her weapons. They had much planning to do, but she had matters of a personal nature to take care of first. Even though she lived in the woods she still believed in cleanness. She also had to pray to Mielikki, her goddess. She grabbed a hunting horn from a hook on the wall and exited the small cabin she called her home. Storm stopped dead as she saw Jarrus practicing. It looked like she picked the right person to help her. “I’m going to bathe. If you need me, I’ll be right down this trail.â€? She said pointing down the direction she was about to go. “Break your fast, but if you hear my horn sound twice, come with haste. When I return, we start planning.â€? She instructed him before heading down the path to her favorite pond.

After a walk of about 20 minutes through the shaded woods Storm arrived at her destination. She enjoyed this pond because of it's unique nature. The pond was heated by a natural hot spring. That meant that the poll was always pleasntly warm, with out having to haul water into a tub and heating it. She hung the horn and her sword belt on a tree branch before stripping out of her clothes. She waded into the water and took a seat. This daily bath helped her with various things. The warm water relaxed her, and it also gave her time ot think. She sat and mentally prepared herself for the battle later on in the day.

After a long soak she came out of the pond and went to her bags. It was time now for her prayers. She removed a acorn from her belongings and headed towards the edge of the clearing. Since the Forest Queen was a nature goddess, Storm always did her prayers at this time of day, bare except for the beautiful blonde hair that fell partway down her back. She had just spent the last week removing a stump from this location in preporation for this. She placed the acorn in a whole she dug out with her fingers then covered. All the while she muttered a prayer to Mielikki. She did not stop until the prayer was finished, even though she felt eyes watching her.

Anonymous

It was that feeling again. Why did he keep having these... premonitions? He had felt it before he was attacked last night, and it was probably the only reason he was alive now. But this time he couldn't tell where the danger was coming from. The feeling didn't disappear as he scanned the forest nearby. There were a million places one could hide in the tangled wood. Was Storm...? No, the danger was close, he could tell that much. Jarrus was bewildered.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" Good work Jarrus, if it's an assassin at least your last words will sound confused. It would match the rest of your life well enough.

Anonymous

Storm started to get nervous when the unknown figure didn't revieled itself. She reached fro her dagger and relized she left all her weapons by her clothes. Her full lips moved in a silent curse as she relized how stupid she had been. She still had the presence of mind ot make sure she had the horn and could call Jarrus with it, but even at a full run it would take him at least five minutes to reach her. She stood up straight and commanded "Reveal yourself!". She wasn't sure what she could do if the being was hostile however.

Anonymous

No response. Whatever it was wasn't talking, and it wasn't making a move. Just... watching. Jarrus found himself infuriated by the situation.

"Show your damn self! I don't know what game you're playing, but I swear I'll tear you apart and leave the pieces for the birds!"

Not the most original threat Jarrus had ever made, but maybe it would get a response. Then again, maybe not.

Enough! Was this simply a false premonition? Jarrus still didn't know why he continued to have them. But every time in the past something important had happened, he couldn't just ignore one.

The feeling felt familiar. He'd known it before many times. Maybe... could there be a way to control it? Jarrus sheathed his sword (he could do that now!) and focused on the premonition. It felt more familiar by the moment. When was the first time he felt this way?

There! A flutter of recognition. The danger lay not in the woods but...

"The hell?" No, the danger wasn't hidden in the forest around him. It lay in the ground beneath him! Jarrus bolted. It wasn't safe in the open. Was it safe anywhere? Get off the ground!

Jarrus forced energy into his limbs and his run became a graceful jump. Landing on the roof of Storm's cabin, Jarrus drew his sword and scanned the ground around him.

((Ugh, I think I can do better than this. The brain cells are frying.))

Anonymous

Storm waited and heard no response. Since she was unarmed she decided to be overly careful. Her long fingered hands grabbed teh horn and let loose two long blast. Hopefully that would get her stalker to reveil itself. If not then she would have backup soon. To be safe she started to creep back towards her weapons. She was rewarded for her efforts when the creature stepped out and faced her.

((I'm waiting for somebody to jump in. If not, then I'll NPC it.))

Anonymous

“Help! Help me please!� A young man, almost a boy even, shouted frantically as he raced toward a lone cabin in the forest, “He is going to kill me! Please!�
The youth was roughly five and some half feet tall with shoulder length red curls and fear filled green eyes. His heart raced, almost bursting out of his chest and he desperately sucked air in through his mouth as he continued to call for help. He was only a hundred and fifty feet away from what could be his salvation.
“Is anyone there? Can you hear me? Please!�

After the boy’s last outburst the sound of a hound barking began to ring out in the forest. A hundred feet behind the fleeing youth was what would seem to be a hunting dog.  It was a large beast with a dark back and almost golden flanks, it had pointed ears and a long, snarling and foaming snout, its dark eyes were filled with a murderous desire. The beast wore a spiked collar leading a rather thick and long chain around it’s neck. The hound belonged to someone but there was no sign of anyone, yet.

Fifty feet until the young man would be safe, hopefully, he couldn’t see anyone coming out of the cabin. His solution, to just close his eyes and continue to run. The boy’s chest and legs ached and his arms pumped as hard as he could, the sound of the dog gaining on him completely filled his mind with the fear of an imminent death. That was when the second purser entered the scene, a large man wearing dark green armor that almost matched the colour of the forest, his chest and most of his legs were covered by a simple beige robe that was attached to his waist by a simple brown belt and flapped loosely over his moving legs. He was considerably far away from his hound and even father from the boy. In his right hand he clutched a wide double-faced hammer adorned with a spike both on the top and bottom of the weapons’ iron shaft, his left hand pressed a canvas bag to his side. His face was twisted by a mix of anger and fatigue, it was evident he had be running for a long while, sweat ran down his red race and beaded on his near bald head. As he ran, and after many attempts he finally managed to make a single declaration,
“Surrender now fiend and I promise you a swift and honourable death!�

Anonymous

Jarrus looked up when he heard the plea for help. There was someone running towards the cabin. Could nothing ever be simple? Jarrus didn't want to leave his perch for the perilous ground, but as he saw the young man's pursuers he decided he had no choice. It was none of his business, but this looked like it would lead to unnecessary bloodshed.

Ironic, that may have been exactly what Storm had thought upon observing Jarrus and the swordsman at the bar. Of course Jarrus had been acting in self-defense, which didn't seem to be the case here.  

Once again charging his most used spell (mobility is a wonderful thing), Jarrus leaped to put himself between the boy and the ones pursuing him.

"Get inside the cabin and lock the door, but for the sake of the gods, don't touch anything." Jarrus shouted to the boy. "I'll sort this out."

Still wary of the danger under the ground, Jarrus turned his attention to the pursuers. Using a modified version of the shield spell, he formed an invisible wall of force in front of the hound. The dog didn't seem to be a normal animal, but the shield should stop it in it's tracks, and perhaps discourage it from approaching the cabin.

"Halt!" Jarrus used his best commanding voice, the one he had learned growing up in a noble house. At least I few things he was taught had come in handy, the real world was much harsher than he had ever imagined back then. "I wish to know your quarrel with this boy. It may be he has stolen from you, or insulted your honour, in which case his life is, of course, yours. However, I don't want unnecessary bloodshed, especially so close to my host's residence. Perhaps we can work this business out."

It was then Jarrus realised he hadn't sheathed his sword before he leapt. Damn. Well, he'd never been good at diplomacy anyway, and that hammer looked like it could do some damage. Besides, Jarrus would rather come off looking threatening than weak any day.

Still, for the sake of diplomacy:
"I am Jarrus, of house Sariet, a traveller to these lands."
That was how diplomats did it, right? Introductions always made you seem friendlier. Actually... had Jarrus ever even met a diplomat? Certainly not during his time in the desert. Maybe he should just attack the man before he made things worse.

Anonymous

The hound froze dead in its tracks when the warrior fell from above. It’s murderous gaze turned to the new man as it let out bellowing bark after bark, partly to warn the new comer to stay back and partly to alert his comrade to the danger he posed but it never moved toward or away from the man nor did it ever look away from him. After a few seconds the panting and sweating warrior in green arrived beside his dog as it continued to bellow.

“Dante!â€? The man shouted, effectively silencing the dog as he took a moment to comprehend what had just happened. A man apparently leapt down from the sky and let the demon he was chasing past and into safety. Could he be a mage? His hound was acting almost as if he was, but what if Dante was simply startled? His dog alone would be reason enough to kill a suspect who could not injure those around but this man was different, stong.  It was a solid possibility that he wielded magic, but he also appeared to be a skilled warrior and Sanguinius was tired from his long run, fighting this possible monster had to be the last resort.

“I am Sanguinius of the Connlaoth aristocracy, and a warrior on a mission to save our world from the darkness that my prey and his kind aid in heralding.� Sanguinius paused an took a step past his snarling beast and a slight smirk cracked his flushed face, “he has not stolen nor has he insulted my honour however his bloodshed would be in no way unwarranted. He is a threat to this world an all who desire to live peacefully in it for he has the taint of magic within his blood.�

The green-clad knight then slowly rose an accusing finger towards the member of house Sariet, the plates of his armor slowly grinding against one and other with every movement, his deep brown eyes narrowed and seemed to pierce through the warrior before him as he muttered,
“Now I am assuming I have left the boarders of my homeland because I have never heard of your ‘house’, but don’t think that’ll stop me from killing you if you don’t aid me now. After all, he who aids the mage is truly a darker evil then the mage itself.�
Sanguinius did so love to attempt to intimidate people and frighten them into doing what they do know to be the right thing. Although this Jarrus seemed older and lighter he surely wouldn’t be able to run forever, no one can hide from the light of Sanguinius’ righteousness fury forever. Despite his arrogance there was still the small voice within his mind always whispering the what ifs, the worst case scenarios... What if Jarrus was a powerful political figure? What if he was a mage? What if he wasn’t the only mage here? What if this was all an ambush set up but the darkness to kill the divine warrior and end his quest to save the world? Sanguinius shook his head slightly as he tried to ignore the growing paranoia within him and stay focused on his current task, slaughtering the boy hiding within the cabin and using his tainted blood as protection from future wizards and witches.

Anonymous

"It's no surprise you haven't heard of my house. The place I come from is far from here, accross the ocean." Jarrus regarded the newcomer. He seemed to be some sort of fanatic. "I don't know if you are still within... Connlaoth? I've just arrived here."

Jarrus looked back at the cabin. It seemed the boy had made it to safety. This was most confusing. Jarrus had seen no evidence that magic was considered a crime here. Still, it would be best to keep his own talents a secret from this man. Keep trying the diplomatic approach.

"Alright. Let me get this straight. The boy hasn't insulted or stolen from you, but you feel you must kill him anyway? Because he is a mage? I fail to see how that is such a terrible crime. Besides, he doesn't seem much of threat at the moment. If he truly knows magic, why did he not blast you away when you began chasing him? I feel your anger is misplaced."

Jarrus might be a bit of a rogue, but he wasn't going to allow an innocent to be killed simply for possessing the gift of magic. This man was obviously a zealot, given his comment about "he who aids the mage."

((sorry, a little bit short.))

Anonymous

Sanguinius let out a loud sigh as he lowered his head slightly and brought his plated hand up to his brow. He then looked at the warrior before him once again and began to speak as though he were talking to a child.
“Magic is what brings about the downfall of civilizations. We of Connlaoth have discovered this. Are you aware that we are not the first peoples to inhabit this world? Civilizations have been wiped out by a great darkness, this darkness being magic.� As he finished speaking, he looked past Jarrus to the cabin where the aberration lay in hiding. “The magic this boy was seen using was that which affects the body. He was seen by some loyal, good folk reviving a bird in the forest, lucky his powers so far cannot affect any major damage. The boy knows what he is and he should come out now to accept his punishment and be set free from having to suffer being a demon. It is like someone who is going to die a slow painful death. Would you end it quickly for them and leave them some dignity or would you leave them to suffer and rot away into a horrid mockery of what they once were?�

As he spoke Sanguinius slowly began to arrogantly walk back and forth, occasionally turning his head enough to shoot a glare at Jarrus as see how he was taking the information. The arm holding his hammer was now bent so that the shaft of his weapon rested on his plated shoulder his other hand was on his waist, his thumb hooked over his belt and now between it and his beige robes.

“So in short my friend, no, my anger is not misplaced. My anger is not at the boy himself, I personally love children,� He froze suddenly and looked at the boy’s would-be hero inquisitively with a tilted head, “and it is because I love the boy that he must be freed from this damnation that the powers of darkness have set out for him.�

If you can’t convince the confused and misguided with logic you can always attempt an appeal to emotion. Another step toward the last resort sadly, but what must be done must be done. For the good of every person in the world he would kill this man, and the boy he has decided to try and save, as brutally as will be required.

Anonymous

((Ha ha... I forgot to log in... Oh well my bad :lol:))

Anonymous

Jarrus snorted. Who the hell did this man think he was? The downfall of civilizations? It didn't take magic for that to happen, just stupidity.

Reaching down, Jarrus pulled one of his new daggers from his belt, then straightened into an offensive stance, his sword extended in front of his body, and his dagger near his side, ready to be thrown or used to guard.

"I've heard enough. You want to kill a child for healing innocent forest animals, then I have nothing more to discuss with you. The boy is now under my protection. If you want to fight me about it, I have no problem gutting you."

That hammer looked like a nasty piece of work. Best to dodge it rather than trying to block. Though it was obvious this man wouldn't be employing any magic, he might have other tricks up his sleeve. Plus there was that unusually large dog.

Jarrus shifted his weight, preparing for some sort of attack. "Well, I thought I'd be fighting giants today, but this will do nicely as well. You can turn around and leave now, or you can fight me. I guarantee the second will not be a pleasant experience for you."

Anonymous

“It is a shame that you are willing to die for no reason, other then a misguided belief that you are protecting an innocent. How do you know that he isn’t sitting in that cabin right now, using his dark power to use you as a tool,� Sanguinius spat as he backed away from the tainted soul he was about to release. He calmly lifted the pack that hung from his shoulder over his head and set it on the ground behind his still growling hound and calmly pulled a fairly short, curved dagger from a sheath that was attached to the back of his belt.

Sanguinius held the small dagger with the blade pointing downward and stood with his left side facing his opponent. He lifted his hammer slightly off of his shoulder and held is ready to swing in a downward arch. His heart began to race and bash against his chest as adrenalin began to flow through his system. He kept his face somber and attempted to remain as calm as he could when he issued his orders to his hound, “Dante, surround.�

Dante paused in his growls and murmurs the moment he heard his name and paused as he attempted to recognize the sounds his companion had made. Within a fraction of the moment the command was issued the hound was snarling again, this time he was circling around to the right side of his assumed target in an effort to be on the opposite side as the one occupied by his ally.

“I will give you a rare chance, Jarrus,� Sanguinius began, an air of confidence in his voice, “You can surrender now and I’ll ignore this evident sign of evil that you have shown and accept that it was possibly the powers of the young devil you are now protecting that is pushing you to this deed. However, if you don’t take this offer you should know that you will die.�

Anonymous

"Don't talk to me about dark power. You're a saint compared to some people I've met. And the last one who tried to use me as a tool needs three servants to help him dress."

Still, did the man have a point? Why was Jarrus risking his life for someone he'd never met? probably because this man really irritated him. Innocents be damned, this was a waste of time!

Now the hound was circling around to his rear. Not good. The man had a dagger out and looked ready to fight. But what was this? A chance to surrender? Jarrus nearly burst out laughing. It was the same offer he had made only moments before. This man really had no idea who he was dealing with.

"If you think you can kill me you are very, very mistaken. I've been through a lot, and I still haven't met anyone who could best me in a fair fight." Fine, so this was technically a lie. Jarrus was still alive wasn't he? He certainly wasn't a pushover in any case.

Best not to waste any time. As soon as the man figured out Jarrus had refused his offer  he would be on the attack. Jarrus intended to beat him to it.

Jarrus drew back his blade as he charged at the man, readying it for a wide, horizontal slash. Risky, but it should catch his opponent off balance. Whether or not it hit didn't matter, it was mostly a distraction. The real attack would be a quick follow-up thrust from his dagger, hopefully ending this fight before it started.

Anonymous

“I don’t think, I know I can-“ Sanguinius cut himself short when he realized that he was being charged and quickly shouted, “Dante, attack!� as he began to stumble backwards in an effort to avoid the attack of his foe. The blade was going to slice right across his stomach and Sanguinius had no desire to test the strength of his protective plates. To try and defend himself he swung his hammer out toward his attacker, unfortunately as Sanguinius began to swing he immediately lost his balance and began to fall back. His accidental slip up however, quite possibly saved his life as the blade sliced through his robe, the tip of the weapon just barely scratching against his armor.

When Sanguinius hit the ground Dante attacked. The hound let loose a vicious wave of barks as it pounced toward Jarrus, paws outstretched, Dante was going to pin this warrior to the ground and then do everything he could to tear apart his prey’s throat.

Sanguinius quickly began to scramble away from Jarrus and climbed up to one knee. He hoped that Dante would be able to end this bout quickly, or at least be enough of a distraction for Sanguinius to do so. He held both his weapons away from his body and readied himself to swing his hammer at Jarrus’ legs if he did come close enough.

Anonymous

So much for the charge. The warrior in green had avoided it. Nearly losing his balance himself, Jarrus managed to keep his footing just in time to be hit from behind by the massive hunting dog. Jarrus went over, attempting to guard his face and neck against the beast's attacks. At risk of having his arm ripped off, Jarrus rammed the large band on his wrist into the dog's mouth, temporarily stopping him from biting.

This was not a good situation. At any moment the warrior could be back to smash Jarrus' head in. It looked like it was time to resort to a magical means of attack. Jarrus prepared a hasty spell that should knock the dog off of him. He'd wait until the man came close, to perhaps catch him by surprise.

Anonymous

Dante had the man pinned.  However, he had stuffed his guarded wrist into the hound’s mouth, effectively preventing any bites. Sanguinius was pleased with his hound, the animal masters employed by his father had bread the beast well and trained it even better, his use in a fight was almost as useful as that of a skilled human warrior, so long as the proper commands could be given.

“It seems you have finally met your match. I hope the demon child was worth your life, Jarrus of house Sariet,� Sanguinius began as he stood up and readied hammer high over his head. An enormous feeling of pride and arrogance filled the green knight as he savored the moment, this would be his first non magical creature he has ever killed. This man, this unwitting slave, would be the first once innocent life taken by Sanguinius, although he knew full well the pawn was no longer innocent as he was under the control of the demon child in the cabin.
“You should have stood aside, Jarrus!� Sanguinius shouted as he charged at the man his hound had pinned, his hammer held high . Sanguinius was going to shatter Jarrus’ skull and liquify the contents of it with one brutal blow. Three steps away, two steps, one more step taken then Sanguinius lunged and began the downward swing of his gleaming, silver death dealer.

Anonymous

His opponent was approaching, he'd better time this right!

Just as Sanguinus began his deadly swing, Jarrus activated his spell. The hound was forced from Jarrus' prone body, the hapless animal flew upwards, hopefully distracting his master. At the same time Jarrus rolled out of the way of approaching hammer. Leaping to his feet, he took a few steps back, twirling his sword in an impressive maneuver to bring it into a backhanded grip, and raising his dagger in front of him. He'd be more wary of the dog next time.

"Alright warrior, if you insist on trying to get past me, don't expect me to hold back. If you are my match, then I'm very disappointed."

Anonymous

Sanguinius watched with a mix of shock and horror as Dante was launched into the air and away from his prey. The gleaming hammer struck the ground in almost the same instant, and there was no satisfying crush of bone which caused the green clad warrior to look down from his surprised stare at his pet. His hammer had embedded itself in the ground and Jarrus had rolled to safety and was now on his feet apparently showing off as he changed his grip on his swords.

Dante landed on his side with a dull thud and a slight yelp. He lay there motionless for a few moments, stunned and dazed. The hound was motionless, save for his deep long breaths while he attempted to recover from the shock of what had just happened, and the pain from the landing.

The surprise of what had just happened quickly faded from Sanguinius’ mind and was replaced with a burning hatred. His suspicions were right, Jarrus is a mage, he is the enemy, he had to die. The green knight shut out the rest of the world, he even stopped caring if his hound was seriously wounded by the fall or not all he cared for now was tasting the blood of his foe and knowing that it will help in making him even more powerful.

“You are an abomination!� Sanguinius bellowed as he lifted his hammer over his head, “and you will die for what you represent!�

He charged. His hammer held out at shoulder height as he rushed at Jarrus. Sanguinius was going to simply swing his hammer horizontally at his target’s head, and unleash as many blows as he could, as fast as he could.

Anonymous

((Gah! Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. Kind of forgot about it honestly, please forgive me?))

Jarrus barely had time to react as the green-armoured warrior charged once more. The man didn't seem to keen on finesse, but he was certainly strong and fast. The hammer was once more swinging directly at his head, and all Jarrus could do was interpose his sword between it's shaft and his skull. The steel flexed from the impact, and Jarrus was knocked off his feet again, but he seemed to be intact.

Damn but if he wasn't out of shape, and out of practice. Jarrus resolved to do something about that when he finished this guy off. The man was deranged or something, chasing children through the forest and attacking complete strangers.

In any case this had gone on long enough. Jarrus gathered his magical sources, flinging his own body into the air. From here he would dive down onto Sanguinus, hopefully catching him by surprise, and where he was unprepared and unused to defending from an attack. Mobility was the key to victory, and Jarrus had it in spades.