Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Shifter

Started by Anonymous, January 13, 2006, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Using all of her assassin skills, Satsuko made very sure they weren't followed.  She couldn't afford to have her home discovered by someone who would take offense to her housing someone who used magic.  Especially not a proclaimed mage hunter.  Besides, it was easy enough to prevent following when so much of the valley was open space.  If anybody looked like they were following you, just go somewhere else.  Once you got to the mountainous areas, it was easy enough to lose most people who weren't expert trackers.  So it was that Satsuko and Adrik arrived at a cozy nook between two cliffs where lay hidden a comfortably sized hut.  Merely a few hundred yards away was a small forest surrounding one of the rivers that was making its way out of the scenic valley.  Adrik looked around, not having been there in a while.  He called out, "Vhere is my little Rune?"  It had been a while since he'd seen her, too.  He'd been on jobs with Satsuko, but whenever that happened, it meant she thought it was too dangerous for the girl to come along.  Because of that and his butcher shop, he hadn't had the chance to visit in a few years.

Anonymous

"Hiii!" a small voice exclaimed.  The voice came from the hut's roof where little Rune perched Indian style.  One hand braced in her lap and the other waving out to the immediately recognized voice.  It had been another long while and she was happy to see him again.  She smiled cheerfully, relaxing in her yellow sunflower dress and sandals, her blind eyes closed as they usually were.  As the two got nearer, Rune stood gently, her long, wavy auburn hair shining in the sun's light.  That beautiful hair reached all the way down to her knees as she stood finally and stepped carefully to the roof's edge.  She hopped off the roof, her body stopping mid air before she hit the ground.  Letting go of her control, she landed softly.  She grinned brightly in Adrik's direction and then scurried on over to where he and Satsuko were coming up to the house.  The four foot, five inch girl stopped in front of him, her hands clasped behind her back, and beamed up at the her large teddy bear, able to tell where his body was without having to see him.  Her long hair settled after the run, contrasting her pale, silky smooth skin, still covered from head to toe with the ancient writings she had yet to decipher.  

"Good day, Adrik."  She greeted softly, slightly out of breath.  He was like an older brother to her, and she waited for him to pick her up and give her the usual bear hug.  She was so small compared to him, that he had to pick her up, otherwise she could only reach his leg.  Her body was fragile, but unusually durable.  If it wasn’t for her amplified sensation of touch and pain, she could withstand the biggest bear hug Adrik could give.  Rune also knew of Adrik's 'liking of women', but was comfortable enough around him to let him get away with stuff, though when Satsuko would catch him every so often, he would get disciplined, but that never stopped him.  Those situations only amused little Rune.  It wasn’t as if it wrong, she was twenty-one after all.  It was more of Satsuko being her mother figure.

Anonymous

Of course, the last time Adrik had actually seen her was a few months shy of her 18th birthday, so it hadn't been all that right at the time, either. Not that age bothered him all that much. A woman's a woman as long as she's got the body. Besides, he was only four years older. He would have liked to come for her birthdays, but he couldn't leave the shop without the promise of money. He'd been thinking about getting an assistant, but he kept telling himself he didn't have time to look for one. He'd managed to dig himself into a rut which was nothing more than a grave for his free time with the sides kicked out.

Now he could see her again, and she most definitely had the body. She'd kept her youthful features and added to them a womanly body. Adrik grinned widely and reached out a hand as big as her torso. He scooped her up underneath her so that his right arm was like a big furry recliner, purposefully using her butt as leverage. The girl was literally half his height, and he lifted her like she weighed nothing. "Is good to see you, little vone. You've grown into quite ze eyecatcher." He squeezed her ever so gently and rubbed her back in an effort to tickle her with his fur.

"All right, we've got a night to kill before we set out for our target in the morning," said Satsuko as she looked to the rapidly disappearing sun. "I've never had to deal with a shapeshifter before, so we have to make sure we're rested and ready.  Not only that, I want to make sure we get there before any Mordecai."  They walked up to the hut, and she pointed at Adrik, "You're sleeping outside.  You like it cold anyway, and I don't want you getting any ideas while we're asleep."

Adrik saluted informally with his unoccupied left hand, "Yes, ma'am.  I leave myself in your zhuzhment."

Anonymous

Rune giggled at Adrik's comment when he brought her up for the soft embrace, and returned the affection equally.  A slight blush crossed her cheeks, being very modest.  Her back arched slightly with the sensitive, but nice sensation of his rubbing hand and she smiled, pulling away to open her cerulean eyes for him.  She couldn’t see him, but she opened them anyway.  It seemed more natural because she could still see where he was and felt it was rude not to greet a friend properly.  "Oh, silly!" she replied bashfully in her usual soft-spoken voice.  "You're too sweet."  Her vibrant eyes veered away from his, her blush still rosy on her pale skin.  

Satsuko then explained the situation and her blind eyes trailed over to her invisible form, focusing on her vague surface area.  Rune listened closely and carefully.  She was only ever taken on few but important missions and was still against any conflict whatsoever, but it couldn’t be helped.  A shape shifter? Rune imagined the creature in her mind, wondering what it looked like originally and what happened when it changed shape.  Then she heard 'Mordecai'.  She knew well of these, and to stay away.  Satsuko was very stern when it came to making sure Rune kept her distance from them.  

Then Satsuko told Adrik he would sleep outside and like it.  This brought a guilty smile on her face because she knew very well what was meant by it even before she finished that last part of her comment.  "Heh." She responded, feeling it was her fault to for being so easy with Adrik. She trusted him and was comfortable enough wit his behavior, and just maybe that’s why Satsuko was so strict about it.  "Um, am I going too?" she asked curiously, still not sure if Satsuko's information was for the both of them or Adrik alone.

Anonymous

"You goof, of course you're coming.  Why would I have taken the time to bring Adrik here if I didn't want you along, too?"  Satsuko kept walking until she was at the entrance to the small house where she and Rune spent most of their time.  She'd spent most of the day walking with Adrik to get here, and now she was in need of a shower to wash off the road dust.  He could go jump in the river for the same thing, for all she cared.  Cold water was hardly something she preferred.  That, and she'd had to get a shower for Rune.  The poor girl freaked out when she submerged herself, and as long as she didn't stay in the shower too long, her spatial sense wouldn't shut off from the overstimulation.  She stepped inside with these thoughts and announced her intentions, "I'm taking a shower.  Don't do anything I could make you regret," she said to Adrik with a single eye focused on him over her shoulder.  

The bear could only smile as she disappeared within.  He looked at the girl in his arms and told her, "I should probably get cleaned up, as vell.  Zat river looked pretty refreshink.  You vill stay out of trouble vhile I vash up, yah?"  He put her down carefully.

Anonymous

"Oh. Heh..." she grinned sheepishly.  "I didn’t even think about that." she confessed.  Rune listened to Satsuko and nodded her head, crossing her heart with her forefinger even when she knew Satsuko referred to Adrik.  Oh joy for showers...  That was something she still had to get used to.  Her fragile body shivered at the thought as her teddy bear, Adrik, held her gently.  Satsuko went inside and Rune turned her attention back to Adrik with her beautiful eyes.  She grinned and giggled softly, nodding her head at his question.  "Yes, yes.  I'll be a good girl." She obeyed, standing when he let her down softly.  

Clasping her hands behind her back, she gave Adrik the look of an innocent angel, which she truly was, even though trouble seemed to find her.  "Um...I've never seen a shape shifter before.  Is this going to be a safe mission?" she asked curiously and timidly, not liking danger one bit.  "Are shape shifters like gross THINGS?" She honestly had no clue what one might be.  Her vision left a while back, so she could only imagine the possibilities.  Rune displayed her worry openly, looking for some comfort and reassurance.

Anonymous

Adrik laughed, "I don't know, either, Rune.  I'm sure it vill be fine.  As for the danger, zat is vhy Satsko has brought me alonk, instead of zhust you two."  He waved and turned away, "I vill see you shortly."  He almost immediately stopped paying attention to the elf as he wandered toward the river.  Upon arrival shortly afterward, he stripped himself of his pants and chain and jumped into the rushing water.  It wasn't cleanliness he was searching to achieve, so much as a freedom from the dust that was clouding off of his fur into the water around him.  The murky cloud of it was quickly whisked away by the current.

Anonymous

Rune smiled cheerfully, reassured by Adrik's comment.  That little bit was all she needed.  He was right.  With Satsuko AND him there, it was sure to be all right.  She was just being paranoid, that’s all.  Rune then nodded her head.  "Okay." She said in her generally soft voice, waving Adrik off.  "I'll be inside, " she informed him, turning around and strolling leisurely inside her home.  Closing the door behind her, she wandered on over into the bedroom and sat sown on the bed.  Her walk was slow, though she had the pattern memorized; she was always fragile in her ways.  The normal things you take for granted, she must be careful about.  Imagine your skin being so sensitive that it hurts to walk.  Now, bump your head and think about that pain ten fold.  She HAD to be careful.  On the bed, Rune sat, waiting for Satsuko to call her, knowing that Satsuko knew she was inside now.  She sat proper, her hands in her lap like the little lady she was, her legs together and slanted to one side.  Her posture was superb.  She was raised to be graceful.  Those beautiful blue eyes grew sad and she sighed.  "Shape shifter..." She worried herself again.

Anonymous

Stepping out of the river, Adrik shook himself off.  He sat by the riverbank a while and waited for his fur to air dry the rest of the way.

Satsuko, in the meanwhile, stepped out of her long hot shower and dressed herself in night clothes.  They were loose and sparse, not usually meant for anyone to see her in, but the only ones she had.  She wandered into the bedroom and found Rune on the bed, sitting patiently.  "You could have done something more interesting while you waited.  What were you thinking about?"  A towel was around her shoulders, and she continued drying her hair with it.

Anonymous

"Huh?? Oh...heh..." Rune replied, half surprised by Satsuko's entering.   "Y-yeah, but its okay..." She forced a cheerful smile, closing her eyes.  "Oh, um..." she replied to Satsuko's question, her eyes drifting open and staring out in Satsuko's direction.  "Um, nothing important really...  Just Curious about the Shape shifter person you were discussing earlier.  I-it sounds...interesting...  And...I was thinking about what it would be like." Rune confessed softly, tilting her head with a sheepish grin.  "Heh...  I know it sounds dumb..."  She then looked away and was quiet for a moment.  "So, my turn for the shower then...?" she said with little enthusiasm.  She never looked forward to it, but she also hated being dirty.  Life was too cruel to her...

Anonymous

Satsuko smiled, not that Rune would be able to tell, "From what I heard about it, it doesn't look much different from a normal person."  She'd been told what it looked like.  If she hadn't, it would have been much harder to locate it.  "I guess that's why we should be sure to get there before any Mordecai.  Anything that looks human and can do those kinds of things is probably a mage.  The area will be swarming with them once the hunters' guild gets word out to the mage hunters specifically."

Rune made mention of the shower and Satsuko nodded.  She probably could have caught at least that with her spatial sense.  If Rune had been training most of the day, like Satsuko usually prodded her to do, she would probably be pretty sweaty: most definitely in need of it.  "Go ahead.  It's all yours."  She hung up her towel and prepared for bed.  Not seeing Adrik, she assumed he was still by the river.  The big lug had been worse off than she after the trip from city to valley.  His fur was like a magnet for the road dust.  Knowing him, he probably wouldn't be back until Rune was finished.  Satsuko turned up the rooms space heater and sprawled out on her bed.  Nothing like a warm room to promote a restful night's sleep.

Anonymous

"Mmm...Okay..." Rune stood gently and headed off to the bathroom.  She started the shower, placing hot as hot as it could go before getting in.  She still cringed at the running water.  Water had a negative affect on her spatial sense.  But Satsuko always made her shower to get used to it.  The running water hurt her oversensitive skin and all the droplets hitting her overloaded her spatial sense.  She was getting better, but she still hated it.  Being dirty was another motivation for her to shower though.  Taking in all the literally burning heat, her body relaxed, able to focus the pain away like she was taught.

She finished up and stepped out of the shower almost dizzily.  Usually it would be because of the heat, but in Rune's case, it was the touch.  She grabbed a towel and dried off gently and grabbed her nightgown.  Slipping it on, she sat on her bed across from Satsuko and continued to dry her mass of beautiful hair, again gently.  She smiled, feeling the space heater's warmth and relaxed a little.  Once done drying her hair, she reached out in front of the heater with her hand and began to absorb small amounts of heat, which she usually did before bed, but sometimes she got a little carried away.  

Soon, none of the heat was getting past her hand and smiled, figuring Satsuko would figure it out eventually.  She did need the heat to store for energy so she didn’t fall into a near hibernating sleep, but she liked to tease Satsuko.  Her abilities were also a danger to others if misused.  She could easily suck heat from a living body, killing the person.  She could also absorb massive amounts of heat and disperse the amounts in a surrounding area of her body, heating or cooling the area.

Anonymous

Satsuko, being reptilian, was also quite sensitive to temperatures, and she found it more comfortable to sleep in a warm place.  The space heater was invaluable to her because it measured the temperature and kept it constant.  If it got too hot, it wasn't good for her either.  Because of that, she didn't use a blanket.  Also, she wasn't sleeping at the moment, just not paying complete attention as she read from a book.  She did, however, eventually notice when the room temperature started dropping.  She peeked from behind her book and saw Rune's hand in front of the heater.  She glanced outside, the shadows from the surrounding cliffs getting steadily deeper.  It always seemed later than it actually was between the rock faces.  The sun was probably just beginning to set.  "Okay, Rune," she said, sitting up a little straighter in bed, "that's enough of that.  You can stand to share some of the heat."

Adrik, in the mean time, knocked on the front door.  With the sun gone down, he couldn't dry any more than he already had.  He wanted to say goodnight to the two ladies and maybe get an eyeful of a little somethin somethin.

Satsuko's gaze shot to the door outside the shared bedroom and mentally cursed.  Just when she'd gotten comfortable.  She adjusted her sparse clothing, especially the loose shorts.  She didn't usually wear anything to bed, but wasn't about to pull that kind of thing with Adrik in the neighborhood.  The shorts were altered to let her tail slip through the bottom between her legs, so they were more like a skirt.  She got out of bed and opened the door, letting in some of the cool air she'd been trying to keep out.  She stood there, barely clothed, with a stiff look on her face, her long hair atypically down and framing her shoulders.  "Yes?"

The bear got more than he was expecting, his eyes very obviously roaming all the way over his friend's body.  "Oh, ah, nosink.  I vas zhust vantink to say good night, is all."  He smiled very widely.

Anonymous

"Heh..." Rune grinned sheepishly at Satsuko and pulled her hand back.  She sat on he bed Indian style and placed her hands in her lap.  Yeah, she got enough, but she could never REALLY get enough.  It was impossible right now.  She could literally take a lava bath and enjoy it.  And if the sun had a surface, she could walk on it without a care in the world.  

There was a knock on the dorr and Rune looked over in the direction, even though she couldn’t see anything.  Satsuko got up to answer it and her spatial sense caught her as she walked past to leave the room.  It was probably Adrik.  Rune cheered up and hopped off her bed gently and followed after Satsuko when she heard Adrik's voice.  Slowly she made her way around the corner and to the doorway, a few feet behind Satsuko.  "Good night, Adrik!" She greeted softly waiving her arm in the air.  She wore a one-piece baby blue lingerie nightgown.  It was skimpy, short and almost translucent, and she wasn’t wearing panties at the time.  This might have made waving her hand high in the air a bad thing.  

There was a very logical explanation for her choice of clothing though.  It was pretty simple too.  As said before, her skin was extremely sensitive.  The least amount of clothing, the better. The gown was enough for her.  It was soft and loose enough to move in without her skin being irritated.  There was only one outfit she wore that was skintight.  And that was what she wore when she went on missions with Satsuko.  A special suit made to cushion her sensitive skin and deaden the senses, allowing her to move a little more forcefully without pain.  

Well the fact was that she knew what she was wearing, but she didn’t mind in the least.  It was Satsuko that always did something about it.  That and she never thought twice about it.  And that usually got her in trouble.

Anonymous

Continuing to gaze at Satsuko, he barely noticed Rune wander up until she said his name.  About to say good night back to her, instead, his eyes widened and mouth cracked slightly open at the chance view just below the girl's hem.  Noticing the look, Satsuko, who'd been content to stand there without looking at Rune, turned abruptly and noticed the situation.  Turning back just as quickly, she said rapidly, "Good night," and slammed the door.

Adrik closed his eyes and smiled with the door closed in front of him.  He thought happily to himself as he meandered back into the forest outside the miniature canyon, I kyan die heppy, now.  He propped his back against a tree and kept his eyes closed.

Inside, Satsuko pinched Rune lightly, knowing it was more than enough.  "You shouldn't do things like that around him.  You're much older than you used to be, and hardly out of his radar now."  She walked back into her room and closed the curtains on the window.  No telling if he was going to be sneaky enough to peep in, now that he'd gotten a tempting eyeful.  She'd decided to wear clothes to bed for once, but didn't think that was enough at this point.  She returned to bed to finish the chapter she'd been reading before going to sleep.

Anonymous

Rune was oblivious to the expression on Adrik's face.  To her it was nothing, but maybe she did trust Adrik a little too much.  She liked to see the best in her friends, and convinced herself that he was way nicer than what Satsuko made him out to be.  That didn’t mean anything though.  Rune had no grounds to stand on to justify her reasoning.  She heard Satsuko yell 'good night', and the door slammed.  Wha??  Why'd Satsuko slam the doo....OWOWOWOWOW!!!

Rune suddenly felt pinched and cupped her tender arm now, whimpering as Satsuko reprimanded her.  'Do what??' she thought, rubbing her arm.  Ohh!  She realized after Satsuko finished explaining.  She had forgotten what she was wearing, and in front of Adrik no less.  She grinned at Satsuko guiltily, her ears slightly tipped back.  "Heh...  I forgot..." she replied, following Satsuko back to the bedroom.  She gently sat back in bed, rubbing her arm still, while Satsuko went back to reading.  Wow, she was serious about Adrik not being able to peek in.  She closed the curtains and everything...  With the pain finally gone, Rune layed back and rolled onto her side.  Within a few moments, she was fast asleep before Satsuko finished her chapter.

Anonymous

The next morning, Satsuko sat up in bed.  She yawned and rubbed her eyes as she headed to the bathroom to get ready for another day.  She got dressed in her typical assassin's garb, then soaked her head and wraing out her hair so that it'd be easier to put it up into a bun.  She knew that as soon as she'd started moving around the room that Rune would awaken.  It was bad enough for her that closing her eyes meant essentially nothing, but it was impossible for the poor girl to sleep if anything moved through her bubble of spatial sense.  Satsuko had moved past her charge's bed to get to the bathroom.  Now, fully clothed, she opened the curtains again to let in the meager bit of light that was coming from outdoors.

Leaving Rune to get ready by herself, she exited the house to find Adrik.  She walked toward the nearest stand of trees and saw the bear still snoozing.  She nudged him with her bare foot.  His eyes blinked open and looked around.  The found Satsuko, and he smiled.  "A pleasure to see you zis mornink.  Nosink could be a better start to a day zan seeink a beautiful voman right off of ze bat."

She rolled her eyes, "Get ready to go.  We're leaving as soon as everyone's ready."  She turned back to the house to make sure Rune was preparing.

Adrik grinned some more, "I look forvard to ze trip vis two gorgeous girls."  He was ignored, of course.  The bear went back to the river, plunging his own head under the lazily flowing water and lifting it back out.  He shook his head back and forth to get rid of most of it.  He, too, readied himself, adjusting his chain back over his chest and waist.

Anonymous

Rune whined when Satsuko walked past.  It was bad enough that she had a restless night.  She too couldn’t use the sheets for sleeping, but her reasons were for a different kind of sensitivity.  She sat up gently, feeling nekkid again.  She felt herself real quick and found nothing there.  Her nightgown was lying on the floor.  It must have been one of those nights.  She must have removed it in her sleep because of being so restless.  Her hair was all messy now too...  She whined softly again and opened her eyes, nit that it did much good.  She hated those nights...  good thing it didn’t happen very often.  And thankfully the sun would make up for some of her lack of sleep.  

Satsuko had already gotten dressed and left, leaving Rune to her business.  Rune tiredly slid out of bed and stumbled little nekkid self over to the bathroom.  She cleaned herself up and brushed her long, slept-on hair and then braided it.  Grabbing her suit and boots, she slipped it on and zipped it up.  This was the only tight clothing she could wear without pain.  Her sensitive skin was numbed and she could move around much more roughly.  But this also meant she could see less and she had to guide herself out along the wall, until she could adjust her spatial vision properly.  

Once outside, she smiled brightly and opened her blind eyes and tipping her head back.  She stood in the sun and absorbed the warm energy.  Ahhh, it felt good.  Since her spatial vision was near useless, she had to rely on her other senses to find Adrik and Satsuko, which wasn’t too hard because of Satsuko's special training courses.  As soon as her body adjusted, she would be able to manipulate her spatial sense and use it from her head, which was the only part of her body not covered by the suit.  She soon found the two and ran over to meet them.  She knew she had taken a while in the bathroom, but she couldn't help it if she made them wait.

"Good morning, Adrik!  Good morning, Satsuko!" she greeted cheerfully in her soft and sweet voice.

Anonymous

Satsuko smiled back, but passed Rune on the way back to the house.  She needed to grab everything they'd need, including weapons.  Rune could only travel lightly, so Satsuko usually ended up carrying most of their supplies.  She continued to smile at the thought of making Adrik do it this time.

Adrik, his facial fur still damp, offered Rune a much wider smile.  Such smiles would be next to scary to normal people, so much dangerous-looking teeth were showing.  He never had a dull moment with Rune.  The body suit she wore clung to all the right places and left very little to the imagination.  "A good mornink to you, too, little Rune!  Maybe I should move avay from ze city so I can see you every mornink like zis.  I might live a heppier life visout havink to vorry about such a troublesome business."

Anonymous

Rune giggled at Adrik's comment.  She didn’t mind the idea at all, but she knew Satsuko would have a fit.  She blushed when Adrik complimented her, and grinned.  "Silly!" She spun around for him so he could see the uniform she wore.  "I would like it too, but Satsuko wouldn’t like it so much!" She spoke excitedly, but not loud.  Placing her arms behind her back, she shifted from the front to the back of her feet, in a small rocking motion.  "I didn’t sleep well last night. Heh... I found my nightgown on the floor again." She conversed innocently.  "I hate those nights...  I slept wrong..." She gave a good stretch and then rubbed her boob that she had crushed during the night. "But it's okay! I just need a little sun to store away!" She was truly sweet.  "So, how was your night? Did you sleep well?  Or did you wake up with knots and matted furr?" She was a little hyper this morning.