Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Shifter

Started by Anonymous, January 13, 2006, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Adrik smiled, enjoying the little twirl.  "Yes, but zat's vhy I only said maybe."  She described with too much information about her night's sleep, and he merely basked in her seemingly obliviously open behavior before him.  "I hope zat doesn't affect your performance for ze mission," he said.  "Satsko doesn't like it vhen people slow her down."  Moving on to answer her question about how he slept, he said, "I don't move around much at night.  Ze tree I leaned against vas soft enough, so I slept qvite nicely."

Satsuko came back with a pack and some small bags.  The pack she gave to Adrik, and the three bags were divided among them.  Inside was what she was passing off as this morning's breakfast.  It was simple, meager, but filling.  "Come on, you two, we've got a target to intercept.  It's closer to the city than most of the other missions I take you on, Rune, so we have to get it done quickly."  They all started on the short journey when everyone was ready to move.

Anonymous

"Yeah...  Don’t I know it?" Rune sighed, with her smile still. "I hope I don’t slow her down.  I shouldn’t!  I think I'll be fine!" She cheered up.  She then giggles at his answer.  "Trees aren’t soft, silly!  It sounds worse than my night, if you ask me!" She reached out and poked at his stomach, her blind gaze smiling up at the shape of his head, and the slightest bit of heat his head produced on her scanners.  "Its because of all that fur, isn’t it?  It must be what makes the tree soft." She grinned, her palm on his tummy now and rubbing gently at this thick fur.  

Satsuko then came back, interrupting her private time with Adrik and handed her a bag.  Oh joy...  it was breakfast.  Rune politely took the bag given to her and thanked Satsuko.  Rune was indifferent about food.  It seemed her body dint require it anymore, but she could still eat it.  And she did.  She wasn’t about to let herself forget the taste of food.  She nodded at Satsuko's statement and, glancing over at Adrik and smiling because Satsuko made him carry the big stuff.  Yes, being careful was a must around here.  Rune was still nervous about the whole thing, but Adrik seemed to loosen her up.

Anonymous

"Ya, I suppose zat ze fur helps," he said, suppressing the bear equivalent of a purr.  He relished the belly rub right up until Satsuko loaded him up traveling supplies.

Satsuko knew that Rune didn't really need any food, but she tried her best to make the girl feel as normal as possible with her odd, magical affliction, even if it was only with below par road rations.  Leading the way away from the foot of the mountains, she took them into the valley and deeper into the country known for its disdain of magic.

Anonymous

Vibrant magenta eyes watched a group of three passing traders as they made their way from the nearby village.  Hiding in the nearby overgrown shrubbery, those piercing eyes kept a careful watch on the traveling merchants.  A young woman stalked the three, intent on intersecting their path when the time was right.  She followed along silently, having had experience in these situations.  Flowing two-toned hair traveled all the way down her back.  A soft pink with lavender highlights colored the soft, long hair that blew behind her as she circled her victims swiftly.  The pale skinned girl took her time examining the traders and their goods.  Yep, they would do.  A grumble was heard from her starved tummy, and she cupped it gently.

One of the traders stopped at the sound, followed by the girl's abrupt halt to silence herself.  The man took caution and informed his group to be wary of followers.  Crap...!  She had to strike now.  In a flash, a large werewolf creature lunged from the bushes, landing in the middle of the tree, knocking them down.  They screamed in fear as the beast growled and slashed at them.

The large wolf stood out in its pink and lavender fur and bright pink eyes.  She was careful not to fatally wound them, but she had to make it look real.  If it weren't for her inability to morph her color, she'd be less suspected.  She slashed and bit and ripped their packs and clothes, cautious to only conveniently remover their packs from them.  They were scared out of their minds at the sight, thankfully, leaving her time to do her thing before they got smart...if they got smart.  She dropped to all fours and grabbed a pack in her mouth, yanking it back and forth, allowing them to see an opening and leave.  

The two men took their chances and bolted, leaving the weight of their packs behind.  But there was the one who was two scared to move...it was a woman...  Crap again...!  The transforming girl tried to play it out as long as she could, but the woman wouldn’t move.  This wasn’t going to end well...  Finally, she had no choice and dropped the pack.  Growling, she stood and hunched over the woman, fangs bared and sniffing at her.  What to do, what to do?!!  She couldn’t believe the men would just leave the poor woman behind like this...

Anonymous

They were just in time.  The supposed werewolf thing was suddenly being surrounded by a weighted chain.  It circled her, restraining her sufficiently for Satsuko to leap in front of her and rouse the paralyzed woman.  "Run," she simply said.  The scared woman, given the chance to collect her wits, nodded and scrambled away from the scene.  For now, the shifter was incapacitated.

Beforehand, Satsuko had sighted the attack, confirming from descriptions of the target's hair color that the beast was actually for whom they were looking.  She and Adrik had advanced at a rushed pace, especially after they saw the woman in danger.  Satsuko had told Rune to stay out of sight for as long as there were villagers around.  It wouldn't do to be seen with all those magical symbols on her body, much less using her powers.

Now, Satsuko confronted the "werewolf" with a cautious stance, "We've got you, now, creature.  I'm normally merciful, but attacking innocents is out of bounds with me."

Anonymous

What the?!  She was bound by a hefty chain and staggered as a lizard woman snapped the trader from her paralysis.  What was going on??  She glanced behind her at the very large bear man who held the chain and then back at the woman.  This was bad...  Man, all she wanted was some food...  She fidgeted with the chain, glaring at the lizard woman agitatedly.  Her heart raced.  She was scared.  She found the chain very uncomfortable and heavy.  She hadn’t eaten in a few days and she was irritable.  She was confronted by the woman who rambled on.  She didn’t care, or much less pay attention to what was said.  She just glanced around cautiously, thinking of what to do.  

Just then, she yanked at the chains as if to lunge at the woman.  She growled and jerked as a distraction for what she was about to do next.  After another yank at the chain, she transformed almost instantaneously.  A small pink and lavender fox dropped from the now loose chain and darted off into thicker shrubbery.  Crapcrapcrap...!  This was bad.  The swift creature looked behind herself to check for any pursuers, quickly looking back in front of her to not run into...OOF!

A surprised yip was heard.  It was Rune's voice.  A small animal ran into her legs while she was distracted.  Rune stumbled backward at the unexpected, but thankfully numbed pain, her spatial vision catching the frantic little thing skitter back to its feet on the loose leaves that lined the ground.  Rune blinked curiously.  "I-its okay, its okay!" she coaxed softly at the dizzied little fox, kneeling down and reaching out to it like the innocent person she was.  Adrik must have accidentally scared it while him and Satsuko tangled with the shape shifter.  

The little fox stared up at the strange girl with the weird writings all over her and hissed.  Somehow, the girl's words felt trustworthy and she got confused.  She looked the girl up and down, not sure if she should run or stay.  Oh wait!  She might have been chased still.  Frantically, the little fox turned around paranoid, wide eyes searching and big ears listening.

Anonymous

Adrik approached the chained figure, and then abruptly tried to grab out for it when it drastically shrank.  He heard Satsuko curse and take after it.  Advancing into the sparse trees, Satsuko shouted, "Rune, it's coming your way!  Stop anything that moves and let me know about it!  Use gravity if you have to!"  Adrik was busy reeling in his chain, preparing it for more specialized fighting.  This would be a tricky opponent.

Anonymous

Rune heard Satsuko's warning.  Wait-what??!  The shifter was headed toward her??  Wait! No! Could it be?! Rune blinked at the scared little fox.  The shifter??  Putting everything together, Rune went in quickly and grabbed the little fox from behind while it was distracted, lifting it from under the armpits.

The fox heard the woman as well.  She was shouting...TO somebody...  Wait...the girl??!  Crap!  Before the little fox could turn around, she felt scooped up.  She jerked and wiggled frantically in the girl's arms, struggling for a while, but the girl was doing too well to hold her.  What luck...  Thinking on the spot, another flash turned the small creature into a snake.  She hissed and whipped in Rune's grasp, and lucky for her, it worked.

Rune screamed, immediately dropped the slimy serpent, stumbling backward in fear.  Ewwewweww!  It had to be a snake!!  

Dropping to the ground, the snake began to slither off when that dammed persistent woman came up on her again.  The shiny pink, lavender, and flesh colored snake darted backward at the lizard lady's appearance, coiling defensively.  Dammit!  Very frustrated and irritable, the small snake became a rather large Anaconda.  With a warning hiss at the woman, the giant snake towered over her with its enormous body.  She was very resourceful.

Rune screamed again.  Shifters were scary!!  She fell back on her bottom and scooted away.

The girl's screams upset her empty tummy.  It was an un-easing feeling.  She didn’t want her to scream...  It made her feel even more guilty...  Magenta eyes glared at the woman during the pause.  Twisting its body, she swung at the woman with her body in an attempt to knock her back.  She didn’t want to bite her if she could help it.  Get away, get away, get away!  Leave me alone!  Wait...  Where was the other??  The giant bear wasn’t here...

Anonymous

Satsuko didn't need to dodge the strike because the neck never reached its target.  Adrik had come up to the snake's tree trunk sized tail and grabbed ahold tightly.  Running the opposite direction, he dragged the creature out of the forest and into more open ground.  It would be more difficult to swing something with too many trees in the way.  He proceeded to twirl the shifter snake in a circle in an attempt to disorient it.  "You von't be so easily escapink my claws like you did my chain."

Satsuko had her blades at the ready and scolded Rune before dashing out to assist Adrik.  "It's just a snake, Rune.  It's no more physically unpleasant than myself.  Now come on and help us with this thing."  Satsuko felt a little insulted.

Anonymous

The large snake swung and missed.  She coiled again, but felt grabbed. The bear...!  She jerked, but he gripped her good.  He was able to drag her currently tremendous weight across the ground and into a clearing.  This was getting out of hand.  She hissed and wrapped around a tree when he tried to swing her, but he still wouldn’t let go.  Wow, he was strong!  This was bad...  His grip was tighter, and she didn’t like it.  She had to change again.  In mid concentration, she was about to morph when he squeezed again.  She hissed and transformed in another instant.  But there were two inconveniences.  First, she lost her concentration and turned human again, and second, the random area her body ended up in, was in the bear's arms.  Great...  The nekked, seventeen-year old girl yipped in the bear's tight grip, arching her back against him, her toes curling.  She was pretty too.  Her hair was extremely long and her body fit and curvy.  Craaap!  Wide magenta eyes turned to him, and then became a glare as soon as the pain settled.  Her tummy!  She couldn’t let him hurt the one she protected!  

In another flash, the angered girl became too big for even Adrik to hold.  A mass of pink and lavender fur was...Adrik...!  Growling with teeth bared, the colorful and no-clothed Adrik clone broke free, using his own strength against him.  She shoved away from him and then grappled him, lifting him into the air while he was surprised and literally launching him away.  She snarled and roared, hunching forward with claws bared.  She was a force to be reckoned with, all right.  

Satsuko yelled at little rune after Adrik took the snake away and she felt just horrible.  That’s right... Satsuko was a reptile too...  Her ears tipped back and she was about to gibe her deepest apologies when Satsuko called her to follow and help.  "O-okay...!" she practically squeaked.  Rune followed after Satsuko, going to where Adrik took the shifter, only to see Adrik get tossed like a rag doll.  Rune meeped in confusion.  Her spatial sense saw TWO of him! "S-satsuko...!  W-which one's Adrik...??" she asked, feeling helpless without being able to tell.  Her suit numbed her senses enough to where she couldn’t pick up enough detail to see that Adrik had his pants or chain.

Anonymous

This snake sure was stubborn, but Adrik just made sure to keep pulling. It was a good plan until it shifted into a naked girl.  His eyes widened, and, if anything, his grip tightened.  His eyes took in as much as possible before she shifted into... him!  It wasn't that he was too surprised to retaliate against the throw, but he had been holding onto the girl by her torso, and when she became his size, her feet hit the ground, giving her extra leverage against him.

Satsuko and Rune entered the clearing to see Adrik get tossed.  Rune was understandably confused, so Satsuko decided to make it easy on her, "The target is the one that's still standing.  Concentrate on that one, and help me restrain it."  She crouched low to the ground and went in with her daggers, her tail wound around her waist.  She caught Adrik's eye, then proceeded to distract the shapeshifter.

Anonymous

"Right!" Rune ran in behind Satsuko, focused on her target now.  Once close enough, she activated her gravity and a very minute tremor shook the ground in a radius around her.  "Zero G!" she shouted in her soft voice to inform Satsuko of her action.  The force was just gentle enough to bump the ground while the gravity lowered to zero.  Rune remained planted on the ground though, able to control her body separately from the area around her.  She stood right behind Satsuko, as her anchor to push off of, since everybody in the area would be floating off the ground soon.  

The Bear was uprooted.  What the...??!  She was off balanced and her tremendous strength was useless now.  Because of the clearing she was dragged into, there was nothing for her to grab.  And now She was at risk of being attacked by the lizard lady.  Flailing around, her massive bulk tried to right herself to at least defend against whatever the lady might throw her way.  She bared her teeth and glared at the woman, and now the girl.  Was this her doing?? It had to be!  This was a problem...  To bad she didn’t get these powers.  That would be useful.  But the girl had gloves on...  She couldn’t make contact with her...

Adrik was just outside the area effect her spell produced, so he was safe and sound.  "A-are you Okay, Adrik!" Rune called out to him in worry.  She had never seen something like that happen to him.  It was weird to see him down like that.

Anonymous

Adrik righted himself, grabbing his chain, "Somesink like zis is nosink to me."  Catching Satsuko's glance, he got behind the shifter.

Satsuko's clawed feet gripped the soil, and she walked calmly toward her target.  Replacing her daggers in their holsters, she pulled out a ball of mesh.  Shaking it a bit, it unfurled into a rather large net.  She tied her daggers to opposite corners and tossed them both just past the shifter, the net spread between them.  The Adrik-shaped obstacle in the way, the daggers stopped and came back, wrapping the shifter in the net.  It would have been somewhat easy for something with Adriks strength to break out of the net, but immediately afterward, Adrik's chain returned to wrap around the shifter.  It was strong enough so that if she tried to shift to something bigger, it would only crush her.  The mesh in the net was strong enough and small enough that nothing could really chew or cut through it, and even a mouse wouldn't fit through the holes.  Satsuko made sure that Rune kept up the zero G, and she spoke to the shifter with her tail blade at the ready.  "Give me a good reason not to kill you and collect the reward for a magical creature in the kingdom."

Anonymous

She flinched when the net was thrown, unable to avoid it. And before she could attempt to break it, that chain cane from behind like before.  Gah!  She growled, and struggled violently, her energy wearing down.  She was feeling the affects of changing.  It wasn’t that she changed into too many things. No, that was nothing. It was changing into something new. The more powerful it was, the more energy required for the conversion. But, at least, now that bear was forever in her memory.  Now that she realized it, that bear was quite powerful... If she had been thinking, she would have realized it was a bad idea with no game plan to back it up. But she was frantic at the moment. He was about to crush her and her unborn child...

Her breathing grew heavy, but she didn’t shift yet. She could see that the holes were too small, and if the bear's strength could not break the chain, then she couldn’t grow. Crap...The woman then spoke to her.  The woman received a deep growl in return for her question.  "I von let you!" she finally spoke, her voice Adrik's, with about a quarter of the accent.  It seemed she had trouble speaking in new forms. She wasn’t used to his vocal cords and his natural voice hadn’t settled in her yet. She would have to hear him more. But she wasn’t trying to disguise her voice. She was merely trying to speak through new lips.  Man, he had a deep voice.  It felt weird. "I'll kill you first!" she yelled, almost tearing up.  

Rune did as Satsuko told, but wavered when she heard Adrik's voice. He was sad...  She kept her mouth shut though.  She didn’t want to arguer with Satsuko in front of the enemy.  She knew Satsuko didn’t REALY want to kill the shifter. Or did she?? She figured Satsuko too nice for that.

Anonymous

Satsuko's patience was wearing thin.  "That's not what I said," she spoke through clenched teeth.  "Give me a reason not to kill you.  I'm not against it if all you plan on doing is attacking people.  In that case, I won't cry over your death in the least.  Don't kid yourself.  You may be in my companion's body, but he couldn't best me, and you certainly can't without any of his training.  Those who use magic to hurt people aren't worth keeping around, but Connlaoth doesn't discriminate in that regard.  I do.  Give me a reason, or give me the reward for your head."

Anonymous

Rune began to let down her area effect, the gravity slowly returning to normal, and the bound shifter lowered to the ground.  Rune was hesitant, but she felt sorry for the creature.  Her expression became slightly dismal, and she stared toward the ground and listened.  

"I don attack people!" she shouted defensively as she was lowered to the ground.  "I haven’t hurt anyvon!" She began to struggle again, her eyes now glowing fiercely as she tried to stand.  Her body lit up in another flash, and the net and chain sagged, becoming a looser fit on a smaller being.  The young, naked girl collapsed to her hands and knees under the weight, crying.  She screamed in frustration, shaking her head.  "I was hungry! That’s all!! I scared them to take their food!!" a much more female voice yelled in self-defense.  She held herself, shaking violently, glaring at the woman. "I have to stay alive so she can live...!" she cried before forcing herself to stand.

With several flashes, her body went berserk, shifting from one random animal to the next, each attempting a quick struggle before shifting to the next.  The rate was speeding up, and a strong aura was building up like magical friction.  She was starting to bleed, getting hurt in each form, frantic to escape.

Swift and delicate, a winged man landed gently nearby.  He was drawn to the output of magic.  The tall, slender young man stood at six foot six inches and stood lazily, body leaning to one side. His face was cool and calm, his piercing red eyes, the left one boasting an 'L' shaped scar, gazing over at the rapidly morphing shifter.  Large white and brown-feathered wings fluttered and relaxed behind his back, and a long lizard tail curled beside his feet, also covered with sections of feathers.  He wore Connlaothian colors on his vest, but the rest of his clothes were mainly white, gold, and silver.  He had a very holy look to his appearance.  The only skin visible on his body was his head and tail, and it was covered with a pattern that closely resembled Satsuko's. White feathers were his hair.  They flowed down the back of his head in what looked to be a spiky style, but it was how they rested.  

The handsome man stood there peacefully as the shifter wore herself out.  Those red eyes gained curiosity and traveled to the people who had restrained the magical creature. The bear was first, then the young lady with the unusual text on her face.  Hmmm.  She used magic as well.  A very powerful magic.  Not to worry.  Then those eyes made their way to the third party member and stopped, but more in surprise this time.  He blinked and looked her up and down, intrigued by the similar markings their bodies shared.  His eyes met her face and nearly froze.  How unexpected...  She was gorgeous.  What were the odds of finding such a gem?  If he hadn’t such control over himself, he might have blushed.  Averting his attention, he examined the shifter again. They seemed to have it under control already, but he wasn’t sure what they planned on doing with the shifter.  He wasn’t about to let them kill her.  Not without good reason, anyway.  Just maybe, he should intervene.

With a swift flap of his wings, the man glided forward, landing and then walking up to the furious shifter. After a moment, she was an unclothed girl again, her eyes stuck on his.  She was out of breath and stood there weakly. Who was he??  She panted, trying to back away and fell to her knees.  The feathery man crouched beside her and she shank back.  "W-who... are y-you...?!" she panted.

"I have been given all the knowledge from your attacks thus far within the boundaries of our village." He explained, his voice soothing and warm.  The girl tried to interrupt defensively again but was easily quieted when he placed his two fingers over her lips through the netting.  She suddenly calmed at his touch. "There were no injuries except for self-inflicted ones on the victims." He continued softly after she was quiet and then he lowered his fingers. "Theft of food belongings.  That is all that was found missing." He paused for a moment to let the information sink in.  "Tell me, is food all you wanted?"  The girl quickly nodded to his question, her heavy breathing calming slightly.  "What do you feel is a suitable punishment for such a crime?"  

The girl frowned nervously and lowered her head.  "I-I cannot pay...  I h-have no money..." she replied softly.  This man was strange.  She felt all warm and tingly around him.  It made her want to smile, but she didn’t.  "I-I don’t know what the... punishment for... stealing is..." she continued, her breath still weak and her body shivering.

Rune was frightened at what was happening before her, and it was distorting her vision.  She whimpered softly and stepped back, preparing to defend if she had to.  Blind little Rune could not see the person until they were next to the shifter.  She was slightly startled, but didn’t act unless Satsuko told her to.  She did not know who the new person was, and didn’t want to attack an innocent person. Then the person, more appropriately, the man spoke.  He was talking to the shifter... who was now docile!!  How'd he do that??  "S-satsuko...?" she spoke with slight confusion.  "What's going on??  Who is the man over there?? H-he's not from Connlaoth, is he?? Should I hide??" Rune asked worriedly.

Anonymous

Once gravity returned to normal, Satsuko could release her grip on the ground with her claws.  Adrik moved in closer to get a better grip on the loose portions of his chain to make sure he could readjust the links in case she changed size to something smaller, which she did once he neared her.  She was in that naked woman form again.  He wasn't a stranger to seduction, and he could handle himself in tight situations, but that didn't mean he couldn't remember what he'd seen at a later time.  He smiled, not really listening.

Satsuko listened, though.  Her stern features softened.  It was a good enough reason for her.  She felt sympathy, but wasn't about to release her target just yet.  She wasn't quite sure what she meant by keeping someone else alive, but there wasn't time to be thinking about that now.  Not only was her changing damaging her, but it had drawn unwanted attention.  The former assassin didn't know who this was, but she was hardly thrilled at his appearance, even if his appearance was rather pleasing.  Adrik frowned and held onto his chain at the man's approach.

"HEY!  This is my bounty!" Satsuko shouted at the winged visitor.  He ignored her after staring blatantly right at her.  It wouldn't be good if he was here to kill the shifter.  If so, would she be able to get rid of him without his interference?  She'd decided not to kill the shifter, but would have to keep pretending like she was going to in order to appease him into leaving.  She hoped she wouldn't have to actually do it.

Her thoughts were cut short by Rune's distress.  She spoke quietly so only Rune could hear her, "Yes, it looks like he's from the city.  I don't know any better than you what's going on, but he's seen you already, so hiding won't do any good.  If we have to, Adrik and I can protect you."

Turning back to the more pressing matter, Satsuko closed on the feathered figure.  She was going to tell him off, but was confounded at the line of questioning.  She scowled as the shifter girl told him everything she'd already told her.  "We've established that already, you.  Who are you?"  She didn't think her earlier thinking was founded until he started blathering on about punishment, so she had to switch to a more defensive line of conversation.  It would probably scare her captive, but it was necessary to lose this guy, "That's right, she's a criminal, and I'll be taking her in, so go find your own bounty.  I'm sure the bounty office can think of a so-called 'suitable punishment' for her."

Anonymous

The man slowly looked up at the woman who approached, his gaze almost stuck upon her.  She was yelling at him again, but he was quiet and listened politely.  When she was completely finished, his fingers quickly covered the shifter's mouth again just before she was going to get frantic again and yell in her defense.  Once there was complete silence, he spoke.  "I am Kalik." His voice was rich and smooth before releasing the shifter's mouth and standing fully at his height of six foot six inches.  "I understand you're concern for my intrusion.  Do not worry.  The bounty is rightfully yours.  Do pardon my abrupt presence.  I shall not interfere.  I only wished to speak with the criminal."  He explained softly.  "I would have arrived sooner, but the distortion from the creature had only just recently increased enough for me to locate it.  So I will not stand in your way." He bowed to her properly and stepped away.  

She was a little uneasy now.  She trembled noticeably in her net and chain prison while the two spoke.  She kept quiet just as the man, Kalik, suggested.  She didn’t like where their conversation was going one bit.  "P-please..." she interjected. "Please don’t kill me..." she begged, crying again. "I-I'm sorry...  I-I really am..." she lowered her head, on her hands and knees.  "I don’t want to die..."

Rune listened to Satsuko and stayed put. She was nervous, but hoped for the best.  She could hear most of what was going on over where Satsuko and the man were.  He didn’t SOUND mean...  Andf then the shifter begged for her life, literally.  Rune's heart sank in her chest.  This poor girl was their mission??  Rune almost started crying herself, just listening.  She felt horrible.  All this over food?

Anonymous

Ignoring the shifter's begging, Satsuko turned away.  "Adrik, drag our prisoner along.  We're out of here."  It was a very delicate situation.  There was no telling what the man would do if he found out they weren't about to take the bound shifter to the bounty office.  She'd have Adrik take them down the road, and she'd eventually veer them off to a more secluded location so she could explain the shifter's predicament to her.

Adrik nodded and set to dragging the net by his chain.  Shortly, feeling a little sorry for the naked girl, he hoisted her off the ground to dangle against his back.  He looked straight at Rune and gave her a meaningful stare to give her the hint to follow.  Internally, he sighed.  If they were going to kill the shifter and take the reward, they would have killed her already.  The bear lamented his lack of bounty money and another perfectly good day of business ruined by Satsuko's charity.

Anonymous

Kalik watched calmly as the woman, who had yet to name herself, marched off in a huff with her companion.  His eyes shifted to the large bear. Adrik, was it?  The bear dragged the shifter girl off and Kalik frowned just barely. That is, until Adrik picked the girl off the ground and carried her against his back.  He showed compassion for the girl.  He liked to see that.  If only the woman had given her name... He could only hope.  Kalik knew that they were up to something. They definitely weren’t planning on killing her.  He couldn’t help but be curious.  His eyes locked with the girl's as she was taken into the distance. But he did glance at the Elf girl, covered in those markings.  There was no doubt she was a magical being.  Just who were these people?  Maybe a little investigation WAS required in this situation.  Kalik said he would not interfere, but there wouldn’t be any harm in watching, right? And being partly of the same species as the unnamed woman, he knew well of her awareness.  He would wait.  They could not loose him so easily.  He could sense the magic.  After a little time, he pursued them carefully.

The shifter was dragged across the dirty ground by the large bear and frowned.  She was surprised when he lifted her and carried her off the rest of the way. "Th-thank you..."she whispered softly, her back leaning against his. She curled a little and her eyes drifted back over to the man, catching his own gaze at her and she blushed.  What was it about that man?  Kalik?  She was curious about him, but her mind was distracted by other concerns at the moment.  Where were they taking her?? Were they going to kill her??  They passed the Elf girl who quickly caught up to the bear and walked adjacent behind him.  She blinked and looked down at the Elf who avoided looking at her.  She must have wanted something, otherwise, why was she sticking around back here?  She frowned.  "You want something...?" she asked.  

Rune flinched in surprise at the question and twiddled her fingers. Looking forward still.  "U-um...uh...n-no..." she backed down and went quiet, unable to speak her mind.  But she didn’t move.  She stayed where she was, following beside the shifter girl as they left the stranger where he was.