Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Ravensway] A Dreamer's Respite (Open)

Started by Scriphulem, June 03, 2018, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriphulem

His dreams were a respite. The days in which darkness came in the night to attack his mind's eye were, for the most part, gone. His demons had become a part of him, never exorcised, but willing to halt their violent assaults on his personage, as long as they were accepted and respected.

Whether specters of the past came in the night, or not, however, it was only for the company of the most loyal of animals that Kellen could sleep soundly while on the road. It was also the comforting touch of one such creature that let him know that all had been fine throughput the passing, and rising again, of the blue sky's bright star.

His eyes came to and he could feel that his fingers rested warmly on the chiseled and sloped shoulders of Rosemaine -- a beautiful canine, with a coat of brown tinged carmine. The man trusted the dog, and her compatriots, implicitly to alert him of any dangers that appeared while he slept. He had known few animals that had finer noses or better ears. He had often suspected that what a man on fireguard might miss his dogs would just as rightly awake from even a deep slumber to root out.

Flighty and pitched birdsongs held dominion over the air. The bright white of opaque, and dancing-pollen filled, sunbeams filtered through the shamrock and rough-barked giants of wood that made up the underframe of the emerald canopy overhead. Kellen could smell the life on the air, with the resinous breaths that he took brushing with detectable weight against the delicate hairs of his inner nose.

"You can sleep a bit yet, girl," he told Rosemaine, the dog promptly opening her tired -- yet alert -- eyes when he moved to stand, before slumping her maw back into the soft grass upon receiving his grant of permission to do so.

When Dantes, the second of his three hounds, approached him, Kellen knew that their was no point in telling the wary creature to return to sleep. Just as the man knew that Quel -- his final canine companion, who was now also raising his head to follow the commotion -- would rather stay by Marrel, the playfully spirited camp horse, so proud and duty bound was the dog's innate temperament.

"Hey there, boy," Kellen welcomed Dantes' approaching muzzle fondly with the pad of his hand; the dog reciprocated with a groggy lick that ran up his master's gritty fingers.

The man wiped the residue of the dog's affectionate greeting from his flesh and made his way to Marrel.

"You did good," he said to Quel, in the sturdy intonation that he knew the dog would respect and value.

"And you, missy," he spoke to the unsaddled horse. "Are you ready to get tacked up?"

Marrel merely snorted in return and tried to nibble at her rider's grey peppered beard. This elicited a light scoff and a humor filled turning of the head from Kellen, followed by a gentle pat on the muzzle for the equine.

"Yeah, you're awake," he said playfully.

Placing the horse's saddle, reins, and bit back onto her aging form wasn't an involved task; it was merely routine. It wasn't long before the horse, her rider, and her procession of canine followers were back on the well paved forest road. The steady clopping of her large hooves could be well-heard from quite a distance.

There were moments that, as his hips rocked back in forth in the saddle, that Kellen's eyes were drawn away from the road ahead. It was in the bushes, then even the trees at times. He knew it was there, that it had been nearby since even the night before, but it didn't appear to bother him or his dogs.

He had been called to deal with, what he presumed was, a different sort of creature. From the letter that he'd received, he could only guess so much as to what it was that he'd be facing. Common folk weren't always the most reliable when it came to describing devils, ghouls, and beasts, but what he'd read from the plea-filled missive had been particularly strange -- especially so for the forests of Ravencrest.

SkyBlade

Despite his slow, calm walk and uninterrupted stare, Xhadaronn was feeling quite nervous walking between the bushes and trees.
Now and then he would hear few twigs breaking, leaving him to question whether it was something suspicious or just him being paranoid.
He quickly gave himself a talk-to, trying to return to his usual calm state, despite the eerie looking place and the rumours he had heard... it was not long after he regained his calmness that his confidence sabotaged him: he tripped into a long, hard root and, before he even realised, Xhad landed in a thorny bush. His right shoulder was the unluckiest, blood flowing very quickly as he pulled out a huge thorn. He swiftly drank the green liquid of a minuscule vessel he kept tied to his belt, partially healing the deep wound.
"It is a good thing that was not the arm with which I am used to fight...", he told himself.

Suddenly, he started to hear a voice in the distance, swallowed almost entirely by the barrier of the trees in front of him. The sounds were so subtle that Xhad stopped his breathing for a few seconds.
It sounded like a monologue, though...
Regardless, it was relieving to him that another being might be out there. At the same time, it was also contributing to his nervousness for he could not know what lied behind the plants which alone seemed to be frozen statues of terrible monsters, at any moment being able to break from their curse.
He quickly got up, grabbing his short sword and, trying to endure the suspense, he vigilantly approached the road that was starting to be more and more visible behind the bushes and arbors.
"Yeah, you're awake!'', said a playful voice.

Just a few more steps... there he was. All he had to do was approach the road just a little bit. "Hmph, come on Xhad! Even if it really is malice that awaits you there, you've got the element of surprise!", he thought to himself.
Just as he wanted to spontaneously jump to the road, he felt yet again the cold presence of a creature of which the identity may have only been known to the stars themselves... this made him dash out on the path in fear, yelling: "All right! Very well, beast! Show yourself and those claws of yours... or whatever hellish weapons thou may wield! We ought to face each other without delay for I have grown weary of your cowardlin--!"

Xhad felt his ears red as he saw three hounds, a horse, and a grey-haired, tall man. Though he felt ashamed of his overaction, he did not see the man as evil or threatening... the abundance of scars was visible, yet his face seemed to be rather pleasant and calm.

"Ahem," Xhad began, sheathing his sword, folding his hands and bowing. "I apologise. It was my mistake. I did not mean be the cause of a conflict. Willing I was to be cautious for, to me, this place resembles a fragment of the utmost uncanniness. I've been sensing a very suspicious presence not far away, therefore it has made me rather defensive..."
Xhad paused for a second, taking a closer look at the companions of the man.
"What is thy name?"

Scriphulem

By the time Marrel had lifted her head, reacting to the sudden change in state of the hounds around her, her rider had already picked up on the change in the dogs' posturing. Rosemaine moved to slink in front of her master and his halting mare, the dog's head lowering in a poised and edged scan of the area. Quel moved up to stand beside his mother and Dantes, his younger sibling, turned his head to look at the road behind.

A clacking noise, issued from a slapping movement of Kellen's tongue against his hard pallet, called the dogs off. By the time Xhad crashed through the underbrush to stand before them, the man and his dogs looked otherwise unawares and nonthreatening. Yet, the most trained of eyes would see that Kellen's left hand had tensed just slightly by his side, where a cold iron and silvered chain hung tightly coiled; the ancient warrior's eyes, meanwhile, glanced to the wrist of the half-spectre's sword hand.

"Beast?"--Kellen reached up with his unoccupied right fingers to paw at his facial hair--"Is my beard getting that long?"

When the younger man sheathed his sword and offered words of apology, Kellen likewise allowed his discretely tensed hand to relax -- mostly.

"There's nothing dangerous about," Kellen said with an unassuming and gentle confidence. "Not directly here."

Without doubt, the man knew that there were a number of things within the tall forrest and groves of Ravensway that Xhad could be sensing -- if he were truly an arcane sensitive being -- both things that Kellen was aware of and could only guess at's existence.

"My name is Kellen," the lord gave only his first name, not that Xhad would likely recognize his fairly unknown surname.

He also leaned forward in his saddle a bit.

"And I'm curious: was it this sense of your's that's led you here, perhaps? If so, I'd be interested in that."

The monster hunter still wasn't sure of what was going on in the nearby village that had called him. Magic sensitive types could be quite useful with their insights and intuitive readings of situations.