Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strays and Fevered Dreams [HK]

Started by Zero, August 19, 2016, 10:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Great." Cole grumbled sourly. He knew he should probably just be grateful he was still breathing, but he couldn't help but hate the idea of being stuck like this for any length of time. Just lying there like a useless lump made him feel helpless and vulnerable. Not pleasant feelings at all.

"Sorry, I should thank you for saving me instead of complain." It wasn't her fault he was crippled right now, he shouldn't take it out on her. Especially since she seemed very frail to him.

Medievarad

Lavender sighed softly at his rather bitter remark. It xasnt like she couldn't help it either. She healed him to the best .of her abilities. "Then don't get hurt, you idiot," she answered with a soft sigh, getting to her feet again.

She smiled weakly as he expressed some form of gratitude, before glancing around. "You hungry?" She inquired, still smiling weakly. His stomach wasn't hit, nor were there other circumstances that would make him unable to eat.

A pity the only thing she had to offer was food.

Zero

"Gee, wish I woulda thought of that." Okay, he was being a smartass, but it wasn't like he'd planned on it! Actually, the details were kind of fuzzy. Cole remembered being on a job with a handful of the guys. It was supposed to be a simple little job, very low key and not particularly dangerous.

Supposed to be. Obviously that hadn't worked out so well.

"Yeah, actually." Hungry wasn't really the word, more like starving. What he wanted even more than food was something wet. His mouth and throat felt dry and cracked. "Uh, did whoever left me happen to leave some money behind too?"

Someone had to pay for his care, and if they hadn't left money for her then everything she did for him was coming out of her own pocket right now.

Medievarad

"Well, you obviously didn't," Lavender rasped as she got to her feet, weakly stumbling towards the cupboard, pulling it open, pulling out a basket of fruit. She lifted the thing with.. Quite some visible issues. A dryad was weak by nature, but she was only weakened.

"Nope," Lavender responded as she put the basket down, picking out an apple and holding it out to him. "Eat."

Zero

Cole hated to think he was sulking, but he knew it was true. Being mule-headed was just part of being young and dumb, at least his father had told him that more times than he cared to try counting. His expression changed a bit as he watched the healer struggle just to get around, and couldn't even lift the basket of fruit properly.

"Hey, you okay?" He took the apple with a frown, internally cursing his busted leg. Even after resting the odd-looking woman looked ready to fall over. If she went down he didn't think there was much he could do to help.

Medievarad

She shook her head, the purple hair and leaflets swaying with the movement. "I am by all means not fine," she replied as she slumped down in the chair. "I'll recover.. But I transferred a lot of my lifeforce to save you.. And the sun hasn't been out for.." She took a deep sigh and leaned further back, while slumping slightly more in the seat. "For quite some time.. Now," she managed to murmur weakly.

Zero

"You shouldn't have, er, transferred so much." Cole didn't fully grasp what she meant by transferring her life force to save him, but it sounded like a very big deal. It made him uncomfortable to think a complete stranger would be helping him so much. She wasn't even getting paid for it.

He would have to pay her back somehow, once he could. Being indebted to anyone was always a bad idea, if life with his family had taught him anything at all, it was that.

Medievarad

"If I didn't, we wouldn't have this conversation," she answered with a soft, tired sigh. "I appreciate the worry, but this had to be done, else you would've succumbed."

Zero

Cole didn't know if it had to be done. She could have let him die. His own people had been willing to see that happen. It seemed reasonable to just let a complete stranger die. At least to him, but he hadn't exactly been raised by saints. He supposed he should just be grateful that she didn't seem to have the same dubious morals as his family.

He stared at the apple in his hand with a frown. "I'm going to pay you back when I'm better. Don't know how yet, but I don't believe in something for nothing and I don't like owing people. Especially not as big a debt as my life."

Medievarad

Lavender gave him a ghost of a smile, shaking her head. "You worry about that when you're better," she answered with the same faint smile. "Just eat, you'll feel better."

Zero

Cole shifted slightly on the table, wincing a little as his leg was slightly jarred, with a sigh he bit into the apple, the fruit crunching slightly with how crisp it was. He was watching her still. She looked kind of terrible. It made him feel guilty. "So, uh, I don't even know your name. I'm Cole."

Medievarad

"Lavender," she easily answered with another faint smile, eyes sliding shut again. "The circumstances could be better," she added. "But nice meeting you."

Zero

"I dunno if I'm all that nice to meet, especially how much bother I've been." He didn't even have to be conscious to be a problem to others. Cole's leg might have hurt, but it was nothing compared to the blow to his ego. In his very first fully fledged assignment he'd managed to completely blow it, get himself hurt bad enough where they decided to abandon him rather than help him, and he'd nearly killed some poor healer lady who was nice enough to save him.

"Hey, I know you're worried about me and all," not that he knew why, "but I think I'll be okay for a little while if you want to go lay down and have a proper rest. I'll probably end up sleeping again anyway."

Medievarad

Lavender only sighed faintly and shook her head. "You were mortally wounded. Now you live to tell the tale. Improve on it," she oƧmnly adviced, before looking up at him, almost feeling offended at the offer. Another weak shake of her head.

"Your concern is appreciated, Cole," she started. "But I'll be fine. I much rather not have you out of my sight until you're out of danger."

Zero

Mortally? As in, he was as good as dead when they dropped him here? Cole's ashen grey skin paled even further. He could tell it was bad when he woke up there, but he honestly hadn't thought it was that bad. "You mean I'm not out of danger?"

He thought that the worst was over and all he had to do now was heal up.

Medievarad

She shook her head. "Those wounds can still infect," she answered with another soft, tired sigh. She still felt horribly weak, but it was improving. Though it was damn inconvienient the sun wasn't out. It would all be so much easier if it were.

Zero

"Yeah, but not if they're kept clean, right?" Cole honestly didn't know a lot about healing. All he knew were the very basic principles such as keeping wounds clean or putting pressure to stop bleeding.

He sighed and decided it was probably no use arguing anymore, especially not with the person keeping you alive. Instead he took another bite out of his apple, eating with a contemplative frown as he wondered how long he might be stuck on the table.

Medievarad

"Yup," she answered. "But, they're still.. Open wounds. So I need to make sure the bandages don't stick, nor it actually gets infected," she answered, before sitting back again, closing her eyes briefly. "It'll be fine.. Just rest. So I can do the same."

Zero

Just rest.

"Fine." What else could Cole even do? Huffing softly he finished his apple and set the remains aside as much as he could, then folded his arms as he tried to relax. A table wasn't a comfortable bed, but more than anything he just wished he could move - even just to roll over.

Medievarad

Lavender closed her eyes and she also fell asleep for several hours.

The dryad looked a tad better when she woke up again. Her skin and hair had more colour, her eyes had their shine back. She pushed herself up and moved to Cole again. Her hands flakkered up in a golden glow as she proceeded to heal him, aiming to have him at least able to move around properly after she was done.

Tags: