Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Reusing old graves (P)

Started by drunkensarah, November 09, 2016, 12:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkensarah

Philocrates found himself in Serendipity in search of a new parts supplier after his last dealer met an unfortunate end. The memory of himself stringing the man's intestines along the raptors of the man's small shop brought a smile to his face. What could he say, he didn't like to be cheated. He had paid for human parts, not animal parts. Animal parts didn't make good goblins.

He found himself walking along the streets of Arca, he had heard whispers of a woman there, an undertaker that sold parts, and he was seeking her out. The tall, mountain of a man was immaculately dressed. He had on the finest of fabrics, in the latest styles. His hair was pulled back at the nap of his neck, only a few strands falling loose, framing his face. One could not deny that Philocrates was dapper, very dapper indeed.

He strolled down the streets with his hands loosely behind his back, his eyes searching for the name of the shop. He would nod his head politely as he caught the eye of people he passed, especially the ladies. He smiled broadly, he would definitely remember to visit Arca more often. Oh the fun he could have.

Finally after strolling around for about an hour he found the shop. It looked pleasant enough from the outside considering what business it held inside. Before going inside he waited, watched it, he had to make sure no one else was in.

'Don't want to be rude and interrupt someone's funeral plans,' Philocrates thought to himself, causing him to chuckle slightly. He always found himself so funny.

When he was sure no other customers were in he entered. He kept his face stoic, leaving the smirk he had most of the day, at the door. It was a solemn place, though he didn't expect anything else. He caught a reflection of himself, noticing how the lighting in the room made his eyes look a light, icy blue. A color that suited him, no doubt.

He cleared his throat to get the shop keeps attention, he had to make sure she was the right lady before he straight up asked for people parts.

Darcy

Though it had only been open a few years, Carrow's Coffins & Burial Service was doing just fine for a shop of it's kind. Aleryia had worked hard to make sure that this business succeeded. She had to. This is what she wanted to do with her life, after all. Provide a service and be a comfort to those in mourning. She understood the loss of a loved one all too well.

The shop itself was nestled in between a tailor, and another space which was currently for sale. There was a sign with the shop name out front, as well as a coffin on display outside. It was hand painted, with a floral design that Aleryia had done herself. She kept the display one nailed shut of course, so pranksters couldn't hide in it and terrify her customers.

The interior was fairly spacious, with a few pre-made coffins on display that one could either purchase, or use for reference when ordering a custom one. There was a sign on the wall, detailing different options and prices. She would even help find a burial location and official to oversee, if needed. She was familiar with all the local churches. Of course, another service Aleryia offered that, as far as she knew, was unique to her shop was the preservation and preparation of the deceased.

Custom work took a few days to complete. In that time, a body would have had time to start decomposition, and the process went even faster in summer. Of course, if a body was frozen or kept cool, it tended to last longer. Keeping things cold enough during the hot months would have been difficult, however, Aleryia had been born with the power to freeze the things she touched. This had proven to be advantageous in this line of work. She would store the bodies in the cellar below her shop, which she had spruced up so that people would feel more comfortable leaving their loved ones there. The room was kept cool with ice, and if needed she would freeze the body itself. All it took was a touch of her hand, and a little energy.

People died every day, but despite that, business was sometimes a little slow. At first, she'd struggled to make up the amount she needed to get by, but the solution came to her one fine summer day.

She'd initially been mortified when the Necromancer had asked her to sell him human body parts. But the more she'd thought about it, the more she realized she could get away with it. Sure, it was stealing. But with a little creativity, the families of the deceased would never know. So she made the deal, and within two months, had a steady customer base amongst the necromancy community. She was extremely discrete, which most likely helped her case.

On this particular day, Aleryia was working the storefront herself. There were some days she had a cashier, to take orders and such while she worked down the street at her father's carpentry shop. She much preferred handling the store herself though.

She had just started a new design sketch, when the door to the shop opened. Looking up when he cleared his throat, she made direct eye contact with the icy blue eyes of the stranger who had just walked in. Her first thought was that she wished she'd encountered him outside the shop. He was tall, handsome, strongly built, and with that hint of stubble she liked on a man. A part of her hoped he was just here out of curiosity, instead of loss. Setting her pen down, she walked out from behind the counter.

"Welcome to Carrow's. I'm Aleryia, and I'll be able to assist you with whatever you may need today, sir." She said, giving him a soft smile.

drunkensarah

Philocrates couldn't hide the hint of a sly smirk that played at the corner of his lips. For someone so bastardly he liked to smile a lot. He gave the shop one last casual look.

"Well hello there Ms Aleryia," He spoke, his eyes lighting up slightly. His voice held a hint of an accent, though it always did. The remnants of his native tongue which had all but since been dead for the past eight centuries.

"Luckily, though I am here on business, it isn't the usual business your shop deals in. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Philocrates, merchant, trader, businessman, just to name a limited few of my titles," He started, reaching for her hand delicately, if she would so allow it, to kiss it politely.

"I was wondering if you were willing to sit down and make some business arrangements, such custom work, attention to detail, that can be hard to find. I have found it here though, and wish to secure the work for myself," He spoke, his accent growing a bit thicker.

"Feel free to say no, I would never want to pressure a Lady such as yourself into anything, but, if you would like to chalk up a deal," He spoke, before pulling out a small card with an address and time on it. "Meet me here."

The address was to a rather upscale tavern, mostly reserved for those well within the high society. It was well known for its expensive imported wines, ales, and foods. He gave Aleryia the warmest smile he could muster, which was rather convincing.

"I don't wish to stall anymore of your precise time m'lady. You are undoubtedly a busy woman," He spoke before turning around. Though he hadn't been clear on exactly what he would be asking from her, he wasn't concerned she would deny him if she showed up to the meeting. Humans loved to feel like they were in control, making the decisions, and that is why he left after his offer. When feeling pressured humans often resisted.

"Vale," Philocrates spoke as he gave her a slight wave as he walked out of the door.

*Vale is Latin for goodbye

Darcy

"Luckily, though I am here on business, it isn't the usual business your shop deals in."

Despite the immediate concern this statement caused her, Aleryia kept her attention on the stranger, hearing him out and nodding occasionally to let him know she was listening. She even let him take her hand, when he offered. While he was rather charming, she couldn't get over that he avoided all talks of what he wanted from her. Which meant it was probably something shady. Not that she had any real issue with that. Depending on what it was, of course.

"Feel free to say no, I would never want to pressure a Lady such as yourself into anything, but, if you would like to chalk up a deal, meet me here."

She took the card and returned his smile before glancing over the address. She knew the place. It was in the nicer part of town, and she'd had the pleasure of meeting someone there once before. He was gone before she even really had a chance to reply to him. She gave a small wave back at him as he was headed out the door.

"Well!" She said to herself, checking out the card again. "He was certainly an interesting fellow."

She'd have to close up shop early that night. There was no good reason that Aleryia could think of not to go meet Philocrates. She spent the rest of her time in the shop that day thinking about how the meeting would go. Ending work early, she headed upstairs to freshen up. This was one of those times Aleryia wished she had a color to wear other than black. Blue suited her so nicely, after all. All her old dresses were still stored in the chest under the bed, but she couldn't bring herself to take them out.

One final glance at the address on the business card told Aleryia she was in the right place. She'd arrived a half hour earlier than requested though. She had a feeling Philocrates might get here early as well, and she didn't like to be the last to arrive.

Heading into the tavern, she had a server seat her, and she doodled some designs in her sketchbook while she waited, contemplating what sort of business would go down tonight.