Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Makings of a Crew [Closed for Now]

Started by Incognus, November 15, 2016, 01:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incognus

"Hmh," she had wondered if he was speaking of himself. He seemed cautious and somewhat reserved about the details, which was good; she couldn't afford to have any reckless blabber mouths in on her plans. She knew for a fact he wasn't authority. Even if she hadn't paid off one of the higher ups for a roster of the soldiers in port, Naomi would have likely caught wind of a Draconian guardsman. Their species tended to draw attention and wouldn't be often used undercover. Who would be comfortable talking to one of them in the first place?

Although she could safely assume he wasn't a member of the Navy, she didn't know if he was capable of handling the job. Something she intended on finding out. "I prefer the term, opportunist, if ya will. Tell ye what," she said in a hushed tone, "If yer lookin fer a profitable venture, I might jus have a bountiful opportunity, if you fancy a hornswaggle that is. I'm bouts to go on account in a few days an if you be wantin to join me, yer gonna have to show how you might be of use."

She phrased her words carefully, using slang terms only well versed pirates tended to know. If he followed her she would know he'd been on a ship or two and possibly dabbled in piracy, although the latter could be false. Either way as long as he had experience and was willing to step outside the law, she would need him.

JackieCat

So she was a pirate, or at least was doing a very good job of pretending to be one.  There still was a chance that she was a Navy sailor in disguise.  A very well-versed Navy sailor.

"I'm indeed willing to do what I can to prove that I know what I'm doing," Revvil said, choosing his words carefully. "But I'd be a fool to go on account with you if I don't know what sort of profit I'd be gaining in this venture, or if I have no assurance that I'll get it."

If she refused to tell him more, he wouldn't push it, he didn't want to loose this opportunity to get on a ship, but why not press for a little more information?
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Incognus

A fair statement, she would be concerned about getting paid herself in his shoes. "I can't rightly tell ye what we'll be scorin, as I don't know what's this perticular vessel be holdin. But I can tell ye that I wouldn't be sticking me neck out this far if I didn't know whatever it was wasn't worth some coin." Naomi took a look around the bar for any eavesdroppers before continuing.

"I ken tell from yer speak that you been on a ship or two, an frankly that's all I'm lookin for. But dependin on how experienced you is, I might have a position available as one o me officers. Wouldn't mind havin a Draconian as one o me higher ups. Scare all them Powder Monkeys into line." She gave a short laugh, an uncommon thing for Naomi although one that could be attributed to her beverage. "Anyway, if ye want on board sign up under a man named Knottley on the Coral Star. Then just follow me lead when the time's right."

She stood from the chair and walked away from the Draconian, whether he joined or not she would discover later, for now, she needed to mingle. It's not that she didn't trust Grinich to find her some decent sailors, but she couldn't rely on just him to find enough men. She walked around the room chatting with others, flirting, and probing for possible candidates. After hours of this, people coming and going, and Naomi speaking to anyone who looked worthy, she had picked up another 5 possible hands to join the Coral Star. By the time she swaggered out of the tavern, it was just getting dark.

Gods I musta been in there for ages, she thought, although it had only seemed like a couple hours, it had actually been a good 8 or 9. Naomi made her way down the street. Her destination was the inn she had been staying at the past few nights across town. She was a little drunk but it wasn't anything the woman couldn't handle. Her hardened stomach had seen much worse.

Kalak8538

This is just what he waited for... The cover of darkness.

A young boy quickly and quietly crept through the alleyways and down the back streets of the town, his messy white hair bouncing with every step. He was dressed very plainly, wearing only a black riding hood over his tunic and trousers. The only thing that stood out was his mask: mainly white, and depicting the face of a cat in a traditional artwork form.

It had only been a few hours, and this boy had already noticed the priests of the nearby temple searching the streets for him. His intention was to flee the island, but the youth had hoped for more time than this. Thankfully, they had not spotted him yet.

The teenager continued towards the docks, as stealthily as he was able. With no alleyway left on his side of the street, he had to make it to the other. He had not seen the woman walking perpendicular to his intended path. Sacrificing stealth for time, he darted out wildly. By the time he was in the street, the woman was only mere inches in front of the sprinting boy. There was no way to stop in time...

ValamLym

The moment the suns light had faded to the back of the world, Kirsten's blood red eyes popped open, staring up at the ceiling from within the room. She let out a short yawn, sitting upright and placing her feet on the cold wooden floor with an almost annoyed grunt. Beside her had lain another, a man, not much older then twenty five, whether he would wake again was entirely up to the corruption that now seeped through his veins thanks to Kirsten's insidious bite, vampirism.. it wasn't pretty. Tales of it turning into a vampire are wholly exaggerated, only very few turn into a vampire, most either suffer a painful death or turn into mindless husks as the vampirism tears at their sanity.

Easily tricked by the beautiful woman, the man had no way to know what would come. Nobody suspects the cute ones. With a grunt she lifted herself off the bed, she would've regretted potentially killing the man if it weren't required for her own survival, she had made peace with that part of her life long ago, wholly embracing it now. She made her way to the chair, on which she had deposited most of her clothing, quickly strapping herself back into her usual attire, dragging a hand through her pale white hair before wrapping her hands around her cursed blade, strapping it to her side.

Silently she opened the door stepping out and closing it behind her quietly. Someone would find this man, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out what the two holes in his neck were. As such, it was time to move again. Gently stepping down the inn's stares and winking cutely at the bar tender, she pushed the door to the outside world open, her dark taint allowing her to easily discern faces even during the night. She quietly strode down the streets, the only benefit of being a vampire being that the type of person that would have work for you would also be out at night.

With a modicum of effort she forced the red light in her eyes to dim, giving them a little more mortal appearance, but anyone who stopped to think about it would probably still grow suspicious. But such was the benefit of feeding on mortals, they never did stop and think, their life was one constant slur of event after event, trying to make the most of the limited time they have.

Several meters from where she walked she noted a woman walking toward her, no doubt headed toward the inn she had just came from, she shrugged, figuring she'd be in for a bore if she went that way, but that was none of her business after all. However, moments later a young looking fellow burst from the dark right in front of the woman, their collision all but avoidable. Rather then helping, a heaving and snickering laughter followed, as Kirsten found the scene unfolding before her quite amusing. However, it didn't take her long to realize the woman looked like the type that most would avoid messing with and as such piped down somewhat, a broad smile still upon her face nonetheless. She wasn't particularly intimidated, but simply didn't feel like having that type of fuss at this fine hour.

Incognus

Naomi eyes lay cast toward the ground as she walked. A flicker of movement from the corner of her eye caused her to turn just in time to see a young boy barreling toward the pirate. The alcohol in Naomi's system caused her normally quick reflexes to become sluggish and she wasn't able to jump out of the way in time. The collision knocked them both to the ground and pain shot up from Naomi's butt as her tailbone impacted the cobblestone street.

"Gods be damned!" she picked herself off the ground, "Watch where you be headin!" she yelled at the kid before turning to him. She was taken aback slightly when she noticed the fact that he was wearing a mask. From her expirence the only time one needed to hid their identity was if they were doing things they werent supposed to. "Whatareya bloody doin anyhow?" She turned back and looked the way he came, wondering if there were any pursuers.

Kalak8538

On impact, the hurried youth fell to the ground. As he did, the clanging of metal could be heard as two three-pronged daggers fell onto the stones in front of him.

He rose slowly, propping himself on all fours. He looked to the woman that had gotten in his way. The mask's black eyes did not move, yet still seemed to focus on hers. He saw the moment of shock she had when she noticed what he wore. She spoke rather loudly, potentially drawing the eyes of any priests that were lurking about. The boy could not allow this.

He did not speak. Quickly and without warning, the boy lurched forward to put a hand over the woman's mouth. He scanned the surrounding street, looking for the any of his pursuers. He saw none...

Incognus

Naomi was looking down the alley he had came when the boy's hand reached around and clamped her mouth shut. The fuck? She didn't know what this kid was doing, and if he was actually trying to rob her or something he had made a mistake. She grabbed his hand shortly after and ripped it from her lips, then spun and shoved the boy away from her. "What the devil ye think yer doin?!" she yelled at him, dropping her hand to the hilt of her sword. She looked at him with a face of mixed anger and shock. First he had gotten up like an animal, on all fours, and then he just straight grabbed her without saying a word. She also noticed his eyes seemed painted on the mask, and was wondering how he could possibly see. Just my luck having to deal with some crackpot. she thought to herself.

Better than being stuck in one.

Why don't ya cry about it some more? she commented back, to which the voice only responded with a rumbling growl. Naomi smirked.

Kalak8538

The boy yelped as he fell to the ground yet again. Sitting on the cobblestones, he held a finger in front of his "mouth". He shushed her, with a hiss that almost sounded like the cat his mask depicted.

"You are too loud..." he said in a hushed tone, retreating back into the opening of the alleyway.

The boy continued his searching, using the corner of the building as cover. Still, the priests did not seem to be in the area.

"We are being hunted..."

Magyar

Eli had been in the midst of yet another game of solitaire, and his ninth mug when the woman he'd been watching had left the bar. He thought nothing much of it, and resolved to stake out the bar for the next day, until they left, to keep an eye on her.

That was, at least, until a shout and clang echoed from the street. It seemed the woman had drank a tad too much for herself that night.

Lightweight, he thought to himself humorously, before hearing another shout, this time an angry one. Bollocks. Lifting himself from his booth, and taking bottle and deck in tow, Eli swung open the door with a crack. What he saw brought a frown to his face, for he was greatly confused. A literal cat burglar, it seemed, was trying to rob his mystery woman, all the while a giggling tourist looking girl stood to the side.

He deigned to take a swig from his mug and ease the flintlock pistol he had holstered in his belt sash. Those daggers did not look as if they were for show.

"Hunted by who?" he inquired skeptically, the gravel of his voice undercutting Naomi's yells, "And why?"

Kalak8538

Another one...
The youth cursed under his breath. Here he was, trying to be stealthy, yet he was attracting a crowd.

He refused to answer the new one. Patting his sides, the boy realized he no longer had his knives. They were still laying on the stones ahead of him.

He darted out into the street once again, quickly moving to recollect both daggers.

Magyar

Eli squinted, frown deepening. He hadn't the patience for this, and his slight drunkenness barred what little tolerance he did possess. He pulled the pistol lazily from the sash, trusting in the fifteen feet between them to shield him from a stabbing. Training the barrel on the boy, he pulled back the hammer and drank deeply again from the mug, now emptied. He was prepared to use that as a weapon as well, even if his stance belied a very singular approach to the problem.

"Ye arn't runnin' lad." Despite his swaggering disposition, his voice was iron, and his eyes fire. Eli straightened, and stretched his jaw, his full height lending him the advantage of intimidation. Whether it worked was beyond him, but most times a strong front could dissuade further conflict.

"Who's huntin' ye, and why? If ye need asylum, tha' there ship is affiliated with me," He muttered, flicking the pistol towards The Coral Star, "we could hide yer arse if ye only be honest wi' me."

Kalak8538

The boy snatched up both daggers. He looked to see that he was staring into the barrel of a pistol. He took a half step back. The mask's face was unchanging, but there was a terror that could be seen in his body language. He stood there, paralyzed by the danger that lay before him.

The response was involuntary.

The mask began to change. The paint upon is swirled around, and the edges morphed and shifted into new dimensions. The riding hood wrapped itself around the boy's body, looking more like a shirt than its previous cape-like form. It grew lighter, and thicker, until it more like a white coat. The two knives fused together. The metal churned and changed shape, becoming flat and round.

The transformation took only a few seconds. Once it was over, the boy wore a mask depicting a rabbit, along with a thick white coat. The item in his trembling hands was now a buckler shield, which he was hiding behind.

All that could be heard from him was the sound of sniffling, revealing the terror he felt being at gunpoint.

Magyar

"Well..." Eli's voice trailed off, a look of slight disbelief adorning his features. Eventually he settled for a simple raised eyebrow, and mumbled under his breath, "Odd."

Eli glanced down the end of the street the boy must've come from, by the angle of his fall. Nothing out of the ordinary. Yet. He resumed his gaze on the boy and hardened his tone, but lowered his pistol, even if it was ever so slightly.

"Boat." He directed sternly, his meaning clear, "Now."

He closed the distance between them until they were only five feet apart, but he kept his gun up. Eli was too old and too experienced to make a mistake like letting your guard down. If this boy could shapeshift, and his gunpowder kept him in line, then the gun would stay pointed between his eyes.

"Ye can 'splain yerself onboard, bunny boy," he snarled, and jerked the pistol forward, signalling the boy should walk.

ValamLym

Scratching herself on the back of her head, Kirsten observed the peculiar event unfolding before her, first the woman yelled, quite understandable then the boy shut her up somehow, she figured by pressing his hands on her mouth since he had gotten even closer in proximity to the woman. However, what also surprised her was how neither had noted her laughter, shrugging she continued to watch events unfurl.  the peculiar thing was when the other one showed up, drawing a pistol on the masked fellow, she felt her curiosity spark but the need to just move along as well.

Taking a few moments to decide, she figured she'd just casually continue her little stroll, ignoring the group the best she could, sadly, there was no real way to completely avoid them, as such she just passed them by(or tried to) trying to keep the gun pointed away from her and at the boy, she figured this was typical for such a town as this and her curiosity wanted her to get a closer glimpse.

''Dont mind me, just passing by..'' she added coyly as she passed the group, after which she continued her stroll down the round.

Incognus

After shoving the lass to the ground, Naomi had watched the events unfold rather quickly around her. She wasn't sure what to say. First the old man suddenly came out pointing his pistol, her hand fell to her own on her hips, out of precaution. Then the boy in front of her warped into something else, completely unexpected. THEN the old man mentioned that he had gotten onto the ship and offered this kid passage willy nilly. No. That was unacceptable. It's my boat.

tsk, tsk somebody's getting heated... The voice.

"Wait! Just everyone bloody hold on a minute! First off ye ain't got the authority to jus let this kid on that ship. I ain't about to sail across the Hivian Ocean with no child."

Let it out. Don't hold back.

"Second,' she jutted a finger at the shapeshifter, "YE had better start talkin as to what yer up to. I knows a thief when I see one, and ain't nobody crashes into me an jus grabs me." Her hand cocked the pistol at her hip.

Yes. Do it! You want to, just end them!

"And THIRD." Naomi pulled the gun from its holster, letting her arm hang at her side, "I do not rightly like it when somebody laughs at me. DON'T think I didn't notice." she glared towards the woman walking past.

MURDER THEM.

Noami's jaw clenched and her pistol hand rose up. But it stopped halfway. She looked down at the weapon in shock. Why was it out? When did she prime it? She hadn't even realized what her hand was doing while yelling at the townsfolk.

"Gods damnit!" she muttered harshly under her breath. Her arm fell back to her side but she left the pistol primed. She mentally shoved at the growing presence in her mind, slamming it far back into her skull and holding it there. She needed to be more careful with him.

Kalak8538

The boy began to lower his guard at the mention of a ship. That was exactly what he needed. However, the defense went right back up when the other woman began yelling.

The trembling boy somehow managed to muster the confidence to break the silence.

"We... We are n-n-no thief..." He responded, voice quivering.

"Just... t-trying to... to get away..."

Magyar

Eli's eyebrow raised at the woman's outburst, then both eyebrows went up when she drew her gun. He grew an itchy trigger-finger, and his barrel shifted to the woman, though she seemed a tad preoccupied. Only when she seemed to realize that she was instigating a fight, and stopped herself in confusion did his brow furrow. She was bloody crazy.

"I don't rightly 'member ye signin' onto that vessel," he said, "Only ye conspiring with other sailors to take it! I have better a right than ye. Besides, I had no mind to keep the lad on the ship, ye loon! Hide him, perhaps, get out the truth. Now put down yer barking iron, lest we have all feed the fish."

He pointed a gnarled hand at the shapeshifter boy, saying to him, "Ye get to that boat now. Go on."

Incognus

Naomi raised her eyebrows and stared coldly into the old man's eyes. She walked toward him, not caring that his pistol was still pointing at her chest, and stopped a few paces in front of it. "Those be mighty bold claims yer makin sailor. I suppose yer the one keepin track of all them records then ey? The one whose been hirin ship hands down on that dock insteada drinkin grog in that there bar." She flicked a thumb down the street, in the direction of the inn they had came from.

"Nay. An I suppose ye don't got no proof ta back none of this nonsense either." She paused for a moment keeping eye contact. "If ye got a problem with me, ye ken go report to the authorities like a good sailor. Now lower that weapon. Cause I ken promise you don't wanna go shootin me. An if ya did, ye woulda sparked the powder already."

Magyar

"The authorities here are worse than the criminals. If we're talkin' about hiring monkeys, who're you hirin' for?" Eli challenged, though he did drop his gun. She called his bluff. He'd had no real intention to start anything, and his strong front had seemed to have failed, at least on her. Respectable, at least, this woman. She didn't flinch where others cowered. Shame it was that she was the shifty sort.

"I dun see ye carryin' around a ship ledger when ye be talking up the alehouse, and ye for sure aren't First mate on that there tub," he flicked the barrel at The Coral Star, "So who's brig, 'with lots of bounty', are ye recruiting for?"