Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Calm Before the Storm (Dragonsong)

Started by Tacocat86, November 19, 2016, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacocat86

The morning sun rose over the Hivan, bringing light and warmth to the coldness of the ocean. As the wave of sunshine washed over a large outcropping of jagged rocks, a lone figure was resting on a rock. He welcomed the heat, and basked in the glow. Lounging on his side, he watched the sunrise with an impatient look. The ship was behind schedule. He stood up and yawned, trying to get a better look at the horizon when he saw it; The merchant vessel he was looking for. An ocean breeze swept through his unkempt hair, bringing the fresh scent of seaweed and salt water. He inhaled deeply, today was the big day. It took a week of twisting arms and bribing people in order to get the info to pull this off. If this scheme failed, he would be back where he started, at the bottom. As the ship drew closer, he pushed that thought out of his head; this HAD to work.

The ship's name was "Crimson Maiden", it was a merchant ship all the way from the coast of Essyrn oddly enough. The captain was simply called "Captain Hijoi" and was apparently a stoic man of great resolve. He could deal with the captain, his real concern was the cargo of the vessel. It was loaded with dozens of rare dyes, medicines, treasures, and straight up gold. All of that, just sitting there in the ocean; ready for the taking. HIS taking. As it neared, he began to make out the details, its hull was purple and gold, and it was flying the Essyrni flags on the mast. The deck was barely visable, but as he squinted, he was able to make out a few figures; there was the helmsman, someone was manning a cannon, and someone that looked like a captain was giving orders. He did a quick stretch routine and smirked; this should be an easy job.

He dove headlong into the ocean, and as he did that he went through his transformation into a triton, the lower half of his body elongated and grew into a powerful tail with scales as blue as the depths of the ocean. With one powerful stroke, he was off headed towards the ship, traveling at extremely high speeds. Once he was underneath the ship, he swam to the rudder and turned it so the boat was headed directly for the rocks. After this, he snapped the rudder off so the ship could no longer turn properly. With that done, he burst from the water and landed on the deck in human form. He looked at the crew on board and spoke loudly to them, piecing the monotonous sound of the ocean. "I am commandeering this vessel. Every single one of you is dead if you try to fight. If you don't try to fight, you may still die. I suggest abandoning ship, you may survive if you do. Don't make me crash the ship."

DragonSong

The shadow of the ship passing above her made Morgana scowl and open her eyes. Her sour expression quickly turned into a smirk and she pushed herself out of the nest of kelp she'd been lounging in.

Well. If something was going to disturb her nap, at least she could get a meal out of it. She swam toward the surface, letting just her head and shoulders break out into the air.

But there seemed to be some sort of disturbance on deck. Her brow furrowed and she tilted her head, bobbing gently in the swell that the vessel rocked upon.

Hmm... She needed something to get the sailors' attention. Swimming a little closer, the siren started to sing softly, her voice almost blending with the sound of winds and waves, making music out of the ocean itself.

Tacocat86

Some of the men had drawn swords when the intruder had boarded the ship. But, as the sound of the ocean shifted subtly, the men's grips on thier swords loosened, some of them even dropped their weapons. The intruder was not oblivious to the sound. Infact, he may know the origin. However he was not about to let the ship leave. He scowled and picked up one of the dropped weapons near him, and began to cut up the sails uncontested.

Once the sails were shredded, he took a dive into the ocean, taking on the features of a triton as he did, and swam towards the sound. As he locked in on the source of the music, he discovered it was as he had suspected; a siren, come to ruin his plan. This could really complicate things if he wasn't very careful. "So what the hell are you pulling here?" He said angrily. When he said here, the captain came tumbling off thedeck and into the water.

DragonSong

Morgana whirled around as she was addressed and her eyes narrowed. She bared her fangs slightly in a brief show of dominance- he was male, he should recognize her as the alpha in this exchange.

"I'm not pulling anything," she said with a scoff. Her eyes flicked to the captain and she grinned slowly. "I'm hunting."

Tacocat86

Having spent little time among the mer-folk, Sontomos interpreted the baring of teeth as a sign of aggression. However he decided it might be a good idea not to antagonize the siren until he knew more.

"Well can't you find your own ship? I was here first." He tried to say it as neutral as possible, but it had come off slightly uptight.

DragonSong

She snorted and gave a derisive toss of her head. "What, you need all of them?" she asked scathingly, arching an eyebrow. She drifted a little closer to the human floating in the water, eyes flickering toward him as she licked her lips.

Tacocat86

He seemed taken aback, and pressed his fingers together. "I suppose that I might not need all of them, but I definitely need the captain. He might know the coming and going of more trade ships like this one." The water swirled and the captain drifted towards him. "So, if you don't mind, I'll just be taking him."

DragonSong

Morgana bared her teeth. To be honest, it didn't really matter to her which sailors he took and which she did, but the fact that this male seemed to be demanding things of her made her hackles raise.

"I could be convinced to give him to you." She snatched the man's arm and dragged him closer. A quick, harsh kiss would prevent the human from drowning and she held him closer, obviously not too concerned if he was fully conscious or not. "What's it worth? And be polite, lad."

Tacocat86

Sontomos fumed internally. This complete stranger was treating him like a child! However, in this situation it seemed better to just grin and bear it.

"I spent everything I had on the chance that this would succeed. This is worth more than just my possessions, this has cost me my dignity as well. Is that enough?" He spoke through gritted teeth.

DragonSong

"Hmm." Morgana tilted her head. Her tail swished in a twisting pattern below her body. "I'm not sure I was clear- what can you give me for him?"

She tightened her grip. "You've been awfully impertinent, for a male. I feel like you should make that up to me."

Tacocat86

"Oh, well that's a simple answer; I have nothing to give." Sontomos paused sighed deeply.

"Listen, just give me the captain and the ship, and you can have everyone else onboard. Would that suffice? And uh, I think the captain needs oxygen." The captain had stopped fighting and was unconscious at the moment.

DragonSong

"Hm?" She glanced at the human she held. "Oh, he's fine. A siren's kiss will save a man from drowning, don't you know that?" She furrowed her brow at him. "What sort of merfolk are you?"

Tacocat86

"Less Mer than man I suppose." At that he chuckled softly. "To clarify, I  never knew my parents, or any other merfolk for that matter. Of course I've heard sailor tales of the Mermen and women, but you're the first genuine mer I've ever seen." He crossed his arms. "Does that answer your question?"

DragonSong

Ahh. That actually explained a lot.

Her manner relaxed slightly and she swam closer, tilting her head at him like a curious animal. "Hm. Interesting."

She suddenly thrust the unconscious human she held up him. "Very well, take him. I suppose I can't fault you for what you don't know." She frowned. "You should learn though. There are many of us in these waters, and not all are as forgiving with me." Her tone was at odds with her words, imperious and cool.

Tacocat86

With the sudden change in the siren's manner, Sontomos was a bit wary, and cautiously grabbed the captain and checked his pulse. He then sighed in relief. The man was still alive, barely though. He snapped his fingers, and the water around the captain's head parted, and the captain coughed up water and passed out.

He gave the siren a thankful look. "I'll make a note to learn more about our kind. I don't believe I ever formally introduced myself; The name's Sontomos."

DragonSong

"Morgana." She inclined her head to him slightly. "And you should do so- there are differences across regions, of course, but those of us in these waters are mostly like me. Be respectful."

Tacocat86

He chuckled softly, "Man and Mer are not so different then eh? I take it most types of Mer are at odds with each other?" With a wave of his hand, the captain burst from the water and landed on deck. "I'll try not to insult any more of your kind though."

DragonSong

Morgan's rolled her eyes. "We are territorial and solitary creatures by nature. But you, my lad, must be more on guard. Among sirens, a male trespassing on a female's territory without express permission can earn severe punishment."

She bared her teeth, fangs sharp, to emphasize the point.

Tags: