Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dreams of Gods and Angels [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 25, 2016, 06:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Magyar

The doe raced through the trees at a breakneck pace, eyes wild and sides heaving with panted breaths. Blood trickled down her ribs from the shaft of the arrow that had lodged just behind her shoulder. Every step sent pain cracking through her body but she couldn't stop.

The mountains were close. She could feel them more than anything else, feel the cooler air from the melt-water streams and smell the change in the trees. She could lose her pursuers in the foothills, she knew it, she just had to get there. A fallen tree appeared in her path and she leaped over it, her whole body crying out in pain as muscles tensed, contracted, and stretched to their limit.

It still wasn't enough. The bolt in her side prevented her from making the jump properly and a back hoof caught on the log, sending her crashing to the ground. She rolled several yards, a tangle of legs and neck, and finally skidded to a stop, panting wildly.

Oh thank gods. Somehow, the fall was enough to jolt her out of the animal panic that had spurred her mad dash- it was her greatest weakness, the fact that in her animal shapes any trauma could spur her into acting entirely on instinct, no sense of logic or reason.

Meri gasped and shifted, taking her elven shape. She clapped her hand over her mouth to stifle a cry as the arrow shifted in her side but didn't come loose. Her eyes clenched shut and she forced herself to breathe, then scrambled to her feet.

She still had to run. If the hunters chasing her figured out she'd shapeshifted, they'd be hunting a mage instead of a prize doe. Bare feet skidded on the undergrowth as she took off, leaving a trail of blood.

Magyar

Where are we going Raoun? Whence do we arrive?

"We're not going anywhere, Naia, we're simply walking." Raoun frowned, and corrected himself, "I am walking. I am walking."

Raoun-

"Not now Naia, please. Silence is sacred, and you're ruining it."

RAOUN!

Raoun stopped himself at this, for she was never stern with him. The hill he had been climbing rose above the trees, and although the grasses were tall and the insects were chirping, the silence of night was heavy around them and mother moon watched from above. His hands brushed across the stalks and he listened. A pale mist began to flow around him, inking out from the air and taking shape in the form of the girl that had been bound to him for many years. She extended a hand to his face, and opened her eyes, anchoring with him. She was beautiful, but she was too much so. The human side of him couldn't look at her without being enthralled, and his other side couldn't understand it. It bothered him, but he lived with it, and so did she. Almost.

Raoun, she spoke, but no noise came from her. It was simply a thought, not his name, but an idea that was her view of him. It was similar to his own view of him, but just a little different. There is pain nearby. We need to ease it.

Raoun sighed, but gave in, "So lead the way." She smiled, victorious, and faded into nothingness. Her consciousness however, did lead him to the source she felt and he took off at a loose run, preparing for a fight.

DragonSong

Meri had collapsed again, hiding herself in a massive gap in the roots of a large tree. She was panting, her hand pressed around the arrow in her side. She knew she'd left a trail, but she just couldn't run anymore.

She needed to get the arrow out. If she could just get it out, maybe slow the bleeding, she stood a chance. Her hand wrapped around the shaft and she yanked.

A sharp, agonized cry echoed through the trees and she clapped her hand over the now ragged wound, breathing shallowly.

Magyar

"Oh." Raoun stopped when the cry reached his ears, then rejuvenated by a sense of duty sped his pace. They were close now, and he could feel it.

We must hurry Raoun.

"I'm running here Naia!" He exclaimed, a tad exasperated, "There isn't much faster we can go!"

There is danger nearby. I feel it. I feel their anger, and their anticipation. We must hurry.

Raoun snorted angrily, "Again, I can't really go any faster than right now!"

Yes you can.

Before he had the opportunity to argue, creamy golden wings, made purely of light sprung from his back and lifted his feet from the ground. He gasped in, but calmed when he realized that he was actually flying, and not crashing. Naialei was flying for him. He learned new things every day.

Hardening his gaze he spoke sternly, "If we can fly, let's fly! Speed it up!"

Naia smiled, or at least the equivalent of, and pumped the wings faster, until they were very close. At this she readied Raoun for the landing and withdrew the wings back into whatever pocket of existance she inhabited. He hit the ground running, and dropped into a crouch. If this thing was being hunted like Naia had said, then it wouldn't be the best to come bursting onto the scene screaming righteous glory.

There, a girl, dark of skin and black of hair, heavily tattooed, was bleeding from the side. A lung injury maybe, or if she was lucky only a rib wound. Raoun circled the girl until he was behind her, silence on his side, and extended his arms towards her. At his urging, Naia sprouted his wings again, and in that moment, he tucked an arm under her legs and another under her armpit. Together, they lifted her from the forest bed, and retreated into a tall tree wherein he put a hand over her mouth and a finger to his lips. He wasn't going to be chased all night by some mage hunters, and the best way to catch prey was an ambush.

DragonSong

Meri's eyes widened as she was suddenly pulled from her hiding place. Instinctively she started to struggle, then her hazy vision took in the person who held her.

Wings. And- something else, something about him that struck some familiar corner on the back of her mind she couldn't quite identify. Mouth open in stunned amazement, she just stared at him as he tucked them into the high branches of a tree.

"Wh-who?" she mumbled against his hand covering her mouth. "How- what-?"

Magyar

"Naia what can you do for her?" Raoun asked, ignoring the girl's questions and confusion. Answers would come in due time, but now was the time for action.

I can ease her pain but I cannot heal her. I ferry the dead, I don't save the dying.

"Do what you can," he asked, "and let her in on what you're saying so I don't look crazy please."

You look crazy without my help. she muttered, but nonetheless opened herself to the girl, flooding her mind with her presence and bringing her into the loop that she and Raoun shared, You are safe now, fear not. Let me help you.

DragonSong

Meri gasped at the voice in her head, eyes going even wider. "Who-"

She cut herself off when she heard the tramping of feet below them and whimpered, cringing into her rescuer's chest. Which of course only made her wound protest painfully and she had to bite her lip to keep from crying out.

Not sure what she was doing or why she was doing it, she nodded in a vague sort of way, eyes clenched shut. "Please help..."

Magyar

Calm yourself. We are here for you. You are safe. Naia probed through her waking consciousness, searching for the centre of her pain. Upon finding the pulsing knot, she dulled it, hiding it from the girl. Amidst her searching, she also gleaned some information about the girl they were saving. Rest now Meriana. Rest.

Raoun kept silent through the exchange, watching the several men who were now almost just below them. How to deal with them would take presidence here, but the girl in his arms complicated things.

DragonSong

Meri shivered as she felt the foreign presence rooting through her mind, then relaxed on a long sigh. Her eyes fluttered and she dropped closer to unconsciousness. Her hands gripped at Raoun's arms, then suddenly relaxed, her head lolling back as she slipped into sleep.

Magyar

"What do I do with her?" Raoun asked Naia, who very helpfully gave off a sense of uncertainty. She did however sprout Raoun's wings again, and took off.

"No! They'll follow us now!" He protested, but to no avail.

There is not much else we can do, Raoun. If we fight she may very well die before we can help her more.

Raoun scowled, but begrudgingly agreed to her judgement. They had come to save the girl, so putting her in jeopardy immediately afterward would be pretty counter intuitive. Raoun's scowl deepened when he heard men call out to watch for the skies after them.

Only several minutes later, did they land, now far from the grove where they started. On the wall of a valley they set down, and Raoun still cradled Meri's sleeping form. As they landed he tried to wake her. "Hey, miss...-"

Meriana.

"Yes Meriana. Wake up please. You'll make this a lot easier on all of us if you're conscious."

DragonSong

Meri groaned and slowly fluttered her eyes open. "What...?"

She gasped. Her side didn't hurt. She glanced down and saw that it was certainly still wounded- so why didn't it hurt.

"W-Where am I? What's going on?" she demanded, trying to push herself up and then falling back with a whimper.

Magyar

You are in a safe place, but-

"It won't be safe for long. How many men were hunting you?" Raoun butted in, the imminent danger chief among his thoughts. There would be time for small talk after they had dealt with the threat of mage hunters. They were never easy to deal with, and if this girl was going to get the medical attention she needed, they would need to be uninterrupted.

DragonSong

"Five," Meri breathed. Her eyes were fluttering- it was obviously a struggle to stay conscious. "I think. I- I'm not sure, it happened so fast-"

She drew in a sharp breath as her body protested a particular twist when she tried to sit up again and she abruptly gave up on that endeavor.

Magyar

"All right, put her under." Raoun said, and prepared to take off again.

What's the plan? Naia asked, Where are we going now?

"The Shamans of the mountain range near here. They can patch her up," He replied, and sprouted his ethereal wings. They took off, climbing quickly into the sky, but Raoun was careful not to jostle their passenger.

DragonSong

Meriana gasped again as they went airborne and unthinkingly clutched at the man's shoulders. She whimpered slightly, a dull ache running through her body, and her head fell against his chest.

"Cold," she murmured, feeling her fingers and toes beginning to go numb. She'd lost a lot of blood, and while she knew she should be in more pain than she was, she couldn't quite seem to focus enough to figure out why. Everything just seemed so hazy...

"Tirath meharen, vanahn. Nafira ahri, Lireal, verathe nyne..." The words poured from her lips unbidden, old prayers she barely remembered from her foster mother in a language older than the kingdoms of Connlaoth and Serendipity. She chanted quietly, deliriously under her breath, her voice growing ever quieter as she slipped closer to unconsciousness again.

Magyar

"Oh, she's getting worse." Raoun began to panic. He barely knew the girl, but if she died in his arms, he would blame himself.

Be calm Raoun. She will survive the journey. She is no normal elf.

"And how do you know that?" He questioned, slightly incredulous. Naia said things like she knew everything, but living with her had proven she very well did not.

She bears the markings of a Goddess. She is watched over.

Raoun frowned, and looked down at their passenger. She indeed had spiralling tattoos all across her skin, with runes and symbols worked in among them. He didn't recognize all of them, but the ones he did spoke of watchful eyes and great power. Steeled by this, he flew harder and faster, and would make the journey in another fifteen minutes. They alit in a small village on the slopes of a mountain, and Raoun quickly called over a Shaman.

DragonSong

Though she managed to stay conscious until they landed, she was obviously in a state of mild delirium, still muttering to herself in that ancient language. Her fingers twitches every so often as though searching for something and her head lolled to the side, turning her face into Raoun's chest.

"Creature of light, she is not yours yet," she suddenly murmured, eyes snapping open to fix on his and yet...not. It was as though she looked deeper into him, finding that presence that had dulled her pain.

Magyar

She sees me Raoun!

"Yes," Raoun dismissed Naia's surprise, captivated by Meri's eyes and voice. They sounded different, and pulled at him from somewhere deep within. Naia materialized around him, placing a hand under his chin and lifting it from Meri to herself.

Raoun, she sees me!

Raoun was confused, but then it clicked. His eyebrows shot up, and he looked back at Meri, then up at Naia again. "How?"

I don't know, I just know that she can.

DragonSong

The strange light flickered in Meri's eyes, then she drew in a sharp, surprised gasp.

"Who- who are you?" she whimpered, looking from Naia to Raoun and back. "Where- what's happening?"

She'd been shot. Her eyes flicked to her side, still bleeding sluggishly but offering no pain. Her brow furrowed, but her eyes were wide and doe-like. "I- I can't-"

Consciousness slipped away again and her head fell back with a sigh, eyes sliding closed.

Magyar

Raoun awkwardly held the unconscious girl, until a wrinkled but friendly looking man and several younger and stronger assistants took her from him. He followed them until they came to a series of tents, together making a sizeable set of rooms. The main room had a table in it, hastily positioned for the occasion, and the assistants carefully set Meri down. The Shaman himself, the wrinkled man, began to assess and work on her wound immediately, leaving Raoun and Naia to watch from the entrance.

Raoun was called by one of the many assistants to a smaller room, where he would bathe and be fed in a sign of hospitality to whom the locals assumed were mountain spirits. Naia, not far from him, re-accessed Meri's consciousness, and turned off her pain filter. It would be best if she could feel the pain, and respond to the Shaman to speed her recovery.