Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dreams of Gods and Angels [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 25, 2016, 06:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

Because that is our purpose.

"That is your purpose," Raoun corrected, "I'm just stuck with her. Besides, we've no love for Connloathians, and their hatred of magic."

DragonSong

"But...how did you find me?" she pressed. "I thought I was rather in the middle of nowhere."

Magyar

I could feel your distress. It is a gift left behind from my previous life. You also have... an aura about you. Truly an odd one, to be sure.

Naia drifted around behind Raoun, arms around his shoulders and rested her chin in the hollow of his neck.

You are no normal Elf, are you Meri?

DragonSong

Meriana relaxed from her defensive crouch slightly but took a step back as she watched them. Her brow furrowed, confused.

"I'm a half elf," she corrected automatically. "And- well, I'm a mage. You saw that."

Magyar

Naia's eyes narrowed, and her expression darkened.

That's not what I meant. Raoun?

At her urging, Raoun stood and approached Meri, knowing already what he needed to do, for Naia had told him privately. He was very close now, uncomfortably so, and Naia extended a hand to Meri's cheek.

DragonSong

The elf girl's eyes widened and she backed up again, but her back fetched up against a tree. She tried to duck the ghostly hand, exclaiming, "What the hell are you doing?!"

Magyar

Seeing you. Truly seeing you. Who are you, Meri Halfelven?

Naia grasped at her, but Raoun didn't move. He wouldn't restrain the poor girl simply for Naia's curiousity, however much he shared it.

DragonSong

"Stop, stop!" Meri didn't understand what was happening, but she knew it scared her.

Something instinctive rose up in her, responding to Naia's presence. Her hands flew out as though to ward them off and a forest green light gathered around her, then shoved outward with the force of a fierce gale.

Magyar

Raoun, simply standing between the warring fey girls, was hit full force by the roaring winds. It threw him back, pushing him through the cloudlike Naia, dissipating her, and sending him rolling on the grass behind him.

After a second's shock, he pushed himself to his feet. Eyes like white fire, his head snapped up and locked on the Elven girl. A low growl sounded from his throat, and he would've launched himself at her, if not for two rather wispy hands on his chest, trying for all the world to push him back. His expression turned from rage to confusion, and he looked down only to see Naia, determinedly trying to halt him.

"Wha-" he asked, "Why?!"

She shot him a glare, but a soft one.

She is protected Raoun! We cannot harm her, lest our repercussions be great.

DragonSong

Meri cried out at the magic lashed away from her, reaching after it as though to call it back. To no avail, of course.

her eyes went round when Raoun seemed ready to attack and she skittered back a few more steps, trying to use the tree as a shield.

"I- I'm sorry!" she cried, staring at her hands as though they might bite. "I didn't mean to- my magic doesn't do that! It's never happened before..."

Magyar

Naia scowled, but put on a gentle tone.

Meri, please come out! He won't hurt you!

"I won't?" Raoun growled low so that only he and Naia could hear, but she glared at him again, and he reluctantly released his anger. The fire in his eyes winked out, and he stood, Naia floating up and around him.

Let us simply speak, and we shall forget violence!

DragonSong

Meriana peered around the tree and slowly took a few shuffling steps closer.

"Fine. So talk," she muttered, glowering at them. "My magic never did anything like that before you two came along- what the hell are you?"

Magyar

"I'm telling her." Raoun said to Naia, his voice stern. He was fed up with whatever game she was playing. This was just another rescue until this whole 'she's protected' bullshit had happened.

Raoun, no-!

Before she had finished her words, Raoun's eyes re-lit, and the slim bathrobe the healers had given him began to burn off in bronze flame. Wings, actual, real, metal wings sprouted from his back, tearing his skin, through which he bled gold. Under the robe, impossibly, shining mail adorned him, and a breastplate and pauldron to match them. The daggers from before circled husband left hand, a bow was holstered on his back, nestled between his wings, and a spear with a flaming tip was in his right. A circlet lay under the hair on his brow, and when he opened his mouth to speak, it sounded like bells.

"We are the Guardian. Raoun is a Nephilim, son of an angel, and Naialei a Dol-Seraph, fallen from grace. Together we take this form, and we serve as protectors. Do not raise your anger to us, Meriana."

DragonSong

Her eyes went wide, voice dying in her throat as she opened her mouth to question what they were talking about.

An instinctive thrill of fear ran through her and she took a step back. Dazzled, her foot caught on a tree root and she fell, whimpering quietly as she tried to scramble backward.

That same power that Naia seemed to have woken in her rose up in her chest again, veiling her in gently green light. She gasped quietly and shook her head, trying to force her magic- was it even her magic?- back under her control.

"I- I don't... Please don't hurt me," she managed to squeak out, reaching for her bow before she remembered it had been lost somewhere along her mad dash.

Magyar

"Calm yourself Fey. It is your question that prompted this form. Now answer ours. Who are you?" They said together, voices matched in unsettling harmony.

Together, they walked closer to Meri, but where their bare feet fell the grass died. No, it sped up, the life cycle taking traditionally a few weeks passing in mere seconds, wilting  and then beginning again at the normal speed upon rebirth. They stopped five feet from the fallen girl, but did not extend a hand. One does not trifle with something one does not understand, and their powers might have an adverse affect on this fearful girl.

DragonSong

"I- I-"

She didn't know how to respond to that. "I'm just me!" she exclaimed desperately after a moment. "Please, I didn't ask for any of this. I d-didn't mean for any of that to happen!"

She drew her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, staring up at them with wide eyes.

Magyar

The Bronze Angel before her became Raoun again, his wings withdrawing and his weapons and armour fading, leaving him clutching the tattered bathrobes around his waist. His expression was one of unsurity, and Naia reappeared, again settling into the niche of his neck. He extended a hand, one devoid of flame, and said, "Then let us help you explain it."

DragonSong

Meri whimpered and shrank back from the extended hand, then took a sharp breath and reached out tentatively.

"Alright." She allowed him to pull her to her feet, though she still watched him warily.

Magyar

Naia drifted around Raoun, eyes always on Meri. She couldn't figure out what to make of her.

Your tattoos say you are protected. By whom?

DragonSong

"I don't- my tattoos?" She looked down at her hands, then back up. "A- a hunt goddess. My aunt told me they were marks of Lireal. She's a goddess of the wilds."