Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Prison Escape [Open]

Started by PotatoLion, January 24, 2017, 10:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PotatoLion

Kasa furrowed her brow with confusion. Why was spider silk such a prominent smell in this area? She'd look around once they came to a stop. Letting the goblin hop about  the forest floor as she studied around the trees...There was no noticeable webs that could produce such a distinct scent. She'd look toward the goblin when she heard him land on something that produced a hollow 'thump!'

Her brows rose with interest as he revealed a hidden passage. She'd move closer to peer down into the burrow, giving a small but impressed whistle as she looked down the hole that slopped further downward. "Give me a hand with these animals, would you?" He called to her as he picked up a cage and went down into the burrow. She looked at the cart and picked up a cage containing a couple rabbits before descending into the den as he called for Concord.

She'd follow his voice, turning along a slight bend before freezing in her tracks at the sight of a huge spider. Like, this thing was ginormous; and eating a pig. Kasa would inch further into the burrow and stand next to the goblin, putting down the cage for him to feed to his...friend?

Frankly, she wasn't sure how she should feel. As a child she was taught that spiders are to be respected because the represent obscure wisdom that would be lost of you killed them. But...This kinda made her skin crawl.

She respected it.

But also kinda feared it.

She was gonna respect it from a safe distance. "So, eh....This...Is Concord?"

Wrathwyrm

"Why yes.  Yes, she is."

At this point, Gary accepted the goat cage.  He opened it and went "BLAH!!", and the goat fainted.  He placed it before the large spider and it drew the thing towards its mandible'd mouth.  And teeth!  It had both mandibles and teeth!  As Concord munched on its offered treats, the goblin seemed to be put at ease.

"Good, she has an appetite, at least."

He turned to Kasa, gesturing at the spider.

"Concord's my trusty steed, you see.  I raised her, so she's a little more discerning about who and where to attack.  She listens to me, at least, and has been a very loyal companion for a number of years."

In short, this was no more a beast of burden to him than Kasa would be, though either of them could certainly act as one, given the motivation.

"I need to get the rabbits.  Don't worry about her.  She's not interested in you."

And with that, Gary turned to go do that, leaving her with...yeah.  The spider was was glaring at her, but then...it obviously didn't need to blink, so it may be staring or it may not.  Creepy...

PotatoLion

"Ah...She see.." She would respond after Gary's explanation of how he came to own such a gargantuan insect, watching the beast chomp away at the animal messily with mandibles and teeth. The sight making Kasa's face pale and stomach dance in a nauseating way. "I need to get the rabbits. Don't worry about her. She's not interested in you." He'd say as he turned to leave. Kasa's head perking up as she heard him take quick steps out of the tunnel. "G-Gadousdi? Tla tla! W-Wait!" She'd try to call.

But too late. He was off doing his thing. She turned to look back towards the spider. Her body stiff and uncomfortable as she stared back at it's eight, unblinking, angry eyes. Kasa slowly rose her hand in an awkward wave to the beast. "O...Osiyo, Concord...Tla agisdi ayv.." She'd mutter in her strange language to the spider. Hoping it truly wasn't interested in making her part of the meal.

Wrathwyrm

And the giant spider just sort of stared, only seeming to fidget slightly at the sound of its own name being spoken.  With Gary back at the cart, they were alone for a few moments.  The truth was that she was merely being wary of Kasa because she was unfamiliar.  She wasn't doing anything, and the spider was sick anyway, so there wasn't going to be a fight.  In fact, the only other thing Condord did was let out a sound like 'Murger' in a rasp of a hiss, and it was not a word, but a grumble.  Gary soon returned with the rabbits, but he wasn't releasing them yet, because he didn't want to strain the spider.  He really cared for this thing, though.  He even patted it, comfortingly.  Afterwhich, though, he turned to Kasa and said...

"I've had an inspiration.  You may even enjoy it, given the irony.  I felt that that animal vendor overcharged me.  Not that I care, for I had made plans to remove his funds.  And for your part, should you be interested in the man's more exotic animals for sale, you could see about getting yourself a new pelt and whatnot.  I thought I saw a Basilisk in there.  I'll bet if you changed into one, you'd get its natural capabilities.  Does that strike you well, then?  Hmmm?"

PotatoLion

Kasa's anxiety seemed to lower thanks to the return of the goblin to calm the steed, and also by the fact that the spider steed seemed to truly have no interest in gobbling up the young Skin-Walker. She could feel a small bit of guilt well in her heart for being so anxious around the sickly creature.

A small bit.

It was completely understandable to why someone would be anxious around a large, carnivorous spider that was a few mere meters away. But, watching how Gary interacted with the beast and seeing how she wasn't ravenous and uncontrollable. She was feeling bad for jumping to conclusions. She smiled softly as she watched how Gary comforted his arachnid friend. "I've had an inspiration." Stated the Goblin as he turned to her. She blinked curiously and looked to him. Crossing her arms over her chest and letting her weight shift to one side. "Oh?" She questioned before he'd continue. "You may even enjoy it, given the irony."

Well. he certainly had grabbed her attention as he went more into detail. "Hm...It is possible." She'd mutter, reaching up to give her neck scar another anxious and excited itch at the prospect of having such a skin. "Would have to be careful though, yes? Are Basilisks as respected as their eh...larger Dragon cousins?" She asked curiously, perking a brow. Seeming to have been distracted by the plan as she focused on nabbing a pelt.

Wrathwyrm

The goblin shrugged emphatically, regarding her question.

"I have no idea, really.  Essyrn revears the Kaadir and Adela loves their dragons, but the Basilisk?  I wouldn't know."

All that he did know was that they came in different varieties, where some of them bite paralysis and stare petrification, some have it the other way around, and some neither.  Hell, they didn't even look all the same.  It was a complicated thing, really.

"We can but try, and see where that leads us.  You had a good look in there, didn't you?  What sort of animal would catch your eye?"

PotatoLion

Kasa would nod with understanding. Tilting her head with thought as he asked her what creatures caught her eye. "Hm...Baslisk was interesting...But there was animal that was in corner of shop that caught her eye. It was strange. It had face and feet like deer, but it looked like had strength of lion too. It had a wide grinning mouth and made noises like person. With pelt like that she could try to speak to people, even as animal!" She'd explain excitedly, rubbing her hands together.

If the description that Kasa gave sounded familiar to the Goblin, he might recognize the creature as the elusive Leucrota. A beast with great speed, the size of a deer with deer feet and head, but with body of a lion. It has an extremely wide mouth, that stretches from one ear to the other. It does not have individual teeth, but only a single bone where teeth should be and is known for being able to mimic human speech.

Kasa's eyes seemed to sparkle with glee at the idea of having such a pelt with her.

Wrathwyrm

Gary blinked, momentarily confused by the description there.  Had such a beast been in there?  He thought perhaps, but...well, he hadn't been looking that hard.  Exotic beasts would not have done Concord any better than normal ones.  In fact, it might've been worse.  With that in mind, he seemed to find the motivation to get this girl on board with his next heist.

"I think I remember seeing that creature there.  At any rate, since it seems that you're in, we'll consider your help in this matter the payment of debts.  And let us not forget that you'll be having a bit of revenge against your captor."

He gave off a little chuckle, at that.

"Now, for my information, what other pelts do you possess?  I had already considered a method or two of gaining access to the building, but I should consider your abilities, as well."

PotatoLion

Kasa seemed to grin like an excited child. Some minor payback would be satisfying to have against the man that trapped and sold her. This might be fun~

"Now, for my information, what other pelts do you possess?  I had already considered a method or two of gaining access to the building, but I should consider your abilities, as well." He would ask of her, looking to gauge what he had at his disposal. "Ah, this one also has rabbit pelt. Good for getting into small spaces. And she can mimic animal and forest noises...This one might be able to get rat or mouse pelt if able to capture one." She'd explain. Looking to the goblin, hoping he'd explain his thoughts on their heist.

Wrathwyrm

So, in short, she had her coyote pelt and a rabbit pelt, and it would be easier to get something smaller.  The truth is that while sneaking around was definitely on the venue, and that being small and unnoticeable was a wise course of action, it actually didn't quite fit what he had in mind.

"I don't suppose you could catch a bird, could you?  I'm planning to go in from the roof, you see."

The roof?  But...there wasn't any access from the roof.  It was surely a front door and back door affair, right?  How exactly was he planning to do something like that?

PotatoLion

Kasa blinked owlishly at the question. "Bird plumage?" She muttered thoughtfully. Momentarily distracted by the question of if she could manage getting these feathers to remember the fact that there wasn't a roof access. "Eh....she suppose she could. Common sparrows, finches or doves are easy to easy to find. Can use those to-...Hey wait."
There it was. The realization finally hitting her. "What roof access?" She asked with a perked brow. What was he planning?

Wrathwyrm

"Oh, that?  No worry there."

He went over to a sword that was lying near some of his personal effects and sleeping cot, pulling it out of its scabbard.  It was a dark-bladed thing that he held up to show off in the torchlight.

"This sword will eat through things once used offensively.  It's an enchanted blade, empowered by acid magic."

Bitterfang was a sword which was like a longsword to him, but was not so to a human being.  Nevertheless, it was highly effective, and neither thatched rooves nor wood or stone would halt its abilities, as it grew stronger the longer it was in use.

"When you get into situations as I do, you find ways to stay prepared."

PotatoLion

Kasa looked at the short sword with surprise. This little goblin was certainly a well armed guy. "When you get into situations as I do, you find ways to stay prepared." He explained as he was showing the blade off in the torchlight. She grinned and snickered softly. "Very true...Now, how about explain what idea is? This one does not know how she can be of help if she does not know what he is thinking."

All she was truly certain at this moment is that the Goblin was looking to steal his money back from the animal trader. Which, shouldn't be too hard she would imagine. He must have some nocturnal creatures in his shop that would be making plenty of noise to distract from two trespassers trying to silently break and enter.

Wrathwyrm

The plan?  Oh yes, he should really tell her about that.  How else could they pull it off, then?  Putting away his sword, the goblin began to outline the scheme at hand.

"Well, after you manage yourself some kind of bird pelt, you and I will quietly make our way back to Ketra.  I will be sneaky and you will wing it to the building in question.  I will get up there via rope, as I am wont to do.  Once there is a hole in the roof, well...I have a way I wish to do things."

He cracked a wicked grin, just then.

"I would like you to pose as an escaped rabbit and speed your way through the aisles for a while.  If the owner is around and he gives chase, I will knock him out and we will proceed to our respective tasks, you to the animal you want, and I to his money.  We exit the way we came and make off like a me in the night."

Bit of thief humor, there.

"Are there any questions?"

PotatoLion

She crossed her arms as she listened to him go over the plan, nodding silently, as he laid out everything. Her lips pulling in a small smirk as he made a small joke; chuckling lightly. "This one think she is good with that. She will go prepare bird plumage. Should not take longer than few days. She will return here when ready, yes?" She'd ask, making sure that was a well enough idea for the little thief.

Wrathwyrm

Days?  Okay, he didn't expect that, but then what did he know of her discipline?  Or was it a matter of preparing the hide like you would any any animal skin before it worked?  Well, he didn't know and he didn't ask.  It wouldn't have done him any good, at any rate.  It was really the only way to get her up there on the roof unless she wanted to camp out in his pocket while he went by rope.  Completely possible, but mice were such crushable things.

"I suppose there is no great hurry.  One thing, though.  Who are you, anyway?"

Yes, the whole time, he did - in fact - forget to ask her name.

PotatoLion

She was glad he seemed to understand the wait. Birds tend not to be the easiest catch, they're smart and jittery little creatures.Taking to the sky at the smallest sounds. And once you did manage to catch one, you had to be very careful at how you skinned the creature. While other pelts you could get away with a sloppy skinning job. Birds were tough. If you damaged too much of the plumage, then used it to shift. You might not actually achieve any flight. Preserving as much of the skin as possible is crucial for this animal.

It truly was a process.

She gave the goblin a grin. "Many thanks for patience." She'd thank. Turning to leave but paused at hearing the rest of his question. "Oh! Eh, right sorry." She muttered, looking to him. She paused a moment...Should she trust the little rogue with her name? He was quick to putting a debt on her, and he was technically a criminal... "Call this one Nagoli." She said, smiling lightly, using her alias for those she didn't trust enough yet to give her name. She waved farewell, "This one will work quick to get plumage. Will return." She concluded before turning to leave.

Wrathwyrm

"You have fun with that."

Here begins the 'time-passing preparation montage', because if it was really going to take Kasa a few days to trap a bird, then Gary was going to need to do things to pass the time.  Things like...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Making rope-snare traps to catch more animals, or possibly intruders, for Concord to eat.  Every time he caught one, he'd give it a look and say "Now, you have to tell me if you're Nagoli.".  You can guess what happened if they weren't.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pickpocketing people who bump into him for being - while in disguise - an ugly little raving lunatic.  Naturally, after the fact, he couldn't help but shout and gibber at them to drive them off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reading Concord stories, like The Little Spider That Could (Feast Upon the Blood of Many).

"...and lo, the little spider had caught a big juicey bird, and ate happily ever after.  The End."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dragon-watching with a spyglass.

"Oooh, a diamond-scaled greenback.  They're a rough breed."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Suffice to say, when Kasa came back, she was going to have to remember exactly where the burrow was.

PotatoLion

Catching a bird was tough, and the care it took to preserve the plumage as much as possible was even tougher. She actually had butchered her first attempt when she caught a sparrow, and some crucial feathers needed for flight had accidentally fallen off in the process of trapping. But now she was in the possession of a Mourning Dove, taking great care not to mess this one up. And her patients was rewarded.

Four days later after  Kasa would be walking alongside the path towards Ketra. Nose to the ground as a coyote as she tried to pick up on the scent of the goblin. It couldn't be that hard, how many goblins could be running around this close to a city? She took in a deep breath and her tail began to wag when she caught the familiar scent, ears perked up she'd turn and trot into the woods, continuing to breath-in through her nose to see if she could even smell the spider silk from Concord...After a few moments even that started to come up. She was getting close. Where the scent was strongest she stopped to shift back to normal. A series of cracks and snaps might be heard if one was close enough.

She'd stand and look around at the clearing, muttering something in her native tongue before hopping around to try and hear the door, like what Gary did. It had to be around here somewhere...

Wrathwyrm

It was.  It's just that Gary's skill at concealing things, like the hatch, was very good.  He'd obviously had practice.  Kasa knew she had to be close when there was the sound of it opening nnearby and battlecry...

"Stand and deliv-  Oh, it's you."

...which was interrupted by the realization that he faced not an intruder, but rather the elven-looking girl who was not an elf at all.  Gary put his sword away, now that that had been sorted.

"Well, I trust that since you've returned, you're capable of being a bird now."