Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You Have A Dragon? [Draconian]

Started by TheHopeseeker, January 30, 2017, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHopeseeker

@Draconian

The feeling of guilt that clawed it's way up his spine was the same every time. The bread he tore into like a rabid dog caught in his throat with every mouthful. But it wasn't his fault, he would always reason with himself, it wasn't his fault nobody would give him anything to eat, not even the scraps. The guilt was normally pretty easy to squash with bitterness after that.

Clothes hanging in tatters around his thin, bony frame, Ignis shuffled through the crowds of Adelan citizens, the rag that served as a hood pulled up over his white hair, though it was more grey than ivory at the present moment. He ws covered in filth, dirt stuck to jjust about every part of bare skin, while clothes were only just holding together. The picture of a pathetic street urchin.

Smothering a sigh, Ignis turned down the short alley that would let him out near the tavern popular for its less than stellar occupants. If he was lucky, he might be able to scrouge a few coins off the drunken thugs. Head bowed and tracking the movement of his feet, he payed no heed to the world around him.

Draconian

Nervously she shuffled on her feet, the metal bits of her newly issued armor clinked and clanked together. The leather squeaked it was so new. The fabric was still crisp and brightly coloured and the hoot was pulled high over her head, only her pale chin and lips out in the light.  She'd never learn if she didn't experience it for herself. Simple guard duty, an older soldier standing across from her on the main road to keep an eye on her.

Luna shuffled again, frowning at the dirty boy that just walked from an alley.

Was this normal?

A brief glance to her superior and she looked from him to the boy. He paid no attention and she blinked at him for a moment, shuffling over. Her own hair, pulled up into a ponytail and trailing down her front in a thick white rope of a braid before she reached and grabbed the boys shoulder.

"Are you lost?" She asked softly, pulling the hood back ever so slightly so he could see her face but the sun couldn't hit it, "I'm a guard," she finally said, "I can help you." She could, right? Maybe not get into the habit, she'd grow poor quickly other wise but... This one. Luna squeezed his shoulder, "My name is Luna, what's yours?"

TheHopeseeker

Ignis jumped when he felt a heavy hand clamp over his shoulder, bright blue hues snapping around to scan the face of his attacker. It was with no small amount of surprise that he was met with the bright armour of a soldier. Blinking owlishly at the woman, his eyes traced the thick braid that hung over her shoulder, eventually alighting on her face.

Why was she speaking to him?

Confusion clear on his face, he swallowed, wetting his dry, cracked lips as he folded his thin arms over his chest, half defensively, half because it was getting later and the night was swiftly turning chilly, "I dunno," He murmured eventually, still observing her with a look that showed he didn't know if he should be standing here talking to her, or fleeing in the opposite direction, "Ig..Ignis...I think."

Draconian

He thought?

Luna looked around, frowning. Where were his parents?

He couldn't be much younger than her and obviously one of them had gotten the short stick. Licking her lips, teeth digging into her lower one, she took a glance to the other guard, one hand still on the boys shoulder. "Wait here, Ignis," she stated, letting go for a moment before she started to back away slowly, keeping her eyes on him.

A quick rush over to the other guard, a short argument, a brief moment of yelling and Luna was back in a rush, hood pushed from her head, cheeks ever-so-slightly flushed and just as pale as ever. A silly smile on her face, "Come home with me," she stated, bright eyed and bushy tailed, "I convinced him to let me go early and We'll... Get you fed and rested," A gloved hand was held out and she wiggled her fingers.

A pull to help. Luna licked her lips again, nervous, would her parents mind? Maybe. Probably. A little. They were giving though and Luna wanted to help. "Maybe help you ... Figure out what's going on?" A little bite of her lip, "Do you know how to read?"

TheHopeseeker

Ignis could only frown as he watched her movements, staying solidly in place until she returned. One could practically feel the disbelief radiating from him as he tilted his head to the side, pursing his lips as he considered her offer. He didn't know why she would help him, or if he should even trust her for that matter, but at that moment in time he really didn't care. He was tired, sore, bruised and filthy, not to mention hungry. What was the worst that could happen?

After what seemed like forever, he tentatively placed his dirty, slim hand into hers, his fingers little more than flesh and bone. At her question, a slightly affronted look splashed across his face, his lower lip jutting out petulantly. "Of course I can read. M'not stupid.".

Draconian

He could read.

That was a good clue.

Luna smiled and gave his hand a gentle squeeze while they walked. It would a good fifteen minute walk or so and she intended to fill it with questions. "Well, lots of people can't read. What use is reading to someone who works on a farm? They're not going to read books. They're not going to study language. They're probably not stupid, just... Uneducated." Another smile and she tipped her hood back on to keep what little sun remained from her pale blue eyes.

"So, you being able to read means that you're at least a little educated so that's good." Her hand didn't leave his except for a few moments where she pulled the gloves off and her warm hand went back to his. "You have very pale hair," she said, having peaked under his hood, "Do you remember where you're from, Ignis? What the weather was like?"

TheHopeseeker

Ignis frowned as she spoke, the expression a mix of thoughtfulness and annoyance. He sighed and tipped his head in reluctant agreement to her reasoning, before looking down at his feet as he thought. His mind was still pretty fuzzy if he tried to think back further than a couple of weeks ago, though his memories since his arrival in Ketra were all pretty much a mash of hunger and sleeping in cold dirt streets, so that wasn't saying much, really. "Um, not really..." He could remember the bright blue of the sky above him when he woke up, the dagger clutched tightly in his hand-he moved a hand to his hip to check the dagger was still there- and the cries of crows off in the distance. But if he tried to look further than that-

A sharp pain spiked through his skull, crippling his vision for all of one second before it was gone again. It was enough to draw a sharp grunt from him as he stumbled over his feet, "..ow."

Draconian

Startled, Luna stopped walking, looking at the boy and frowning slightly.

What was wrong?

"Ignis?" Luna said softly, moving her hand to his shoulder and giving it a squeeze, "Will you be okay? It's not much father," he said softly, smiling gently and rubbing his arm with her hands before she started to tug him along again. "Warm food, warm bath, warm bed," she said, "That's what's going to happen tonight okay?" A brief look over her shoulder, picking up the pace a little. "Then, tomorrow, we'll get you some clothes, hmm? And we'll... Figure you out."

She didn't want him in pain, and she felt... Like she needed to help him. Like if she didn't extend a gentle hand to help she'd regret it forever. An odd pull, indeed.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis grunted in reply, shaking off the odd feeling that hung around his head, like the very air was pulsing. It was...weird. Not to mention annoying. But it didn't hurt any more, so he quickly started walking again, keeping pace with the taller girl.

He had to admit, warmth period sounded nice, let along warm food. A small smile lit his face at that, brightening his features enough that was almost hard to believe. He didn't quite know how he felt about her claims to "figure him out", but he wasn't going to turn away from the first hand of friendship he had been offered in what felt like forever.

Draconian

The pace was a mix of leisure and wanting to get to where they were going. Her hand never left his and she finally was met with a dimly lit house, windows warm and she pressed the door open, peaking her head inside before she tugged the boy in, set him in the foyer and go to find her parents. Still a trainee, she lived at home occasionally and this week, she was allowed to be here.

Luna pulled her hood off completely, illuminated by the candle lights. Her pale complexion and white hair gave her a sort of halo of light and she smiled over her shoulder at Ignis, "Mom! Dad! I brought a guest." Her parents appeared not long after, tall, tanned, black hair, golden eyes. A brief confused look to their daughter and then to the skinny thing beside her.

"Uh," her dad gruffed out, blinking at her. Why had she brought a street rat into the house?

"Well, dinner is in an hour," her mother said smiling softly, a little hesitant, "Best get our guest upstairs and cleaned up." she shuffled her husband away and Luna was left with the boy, giving his hand a little squeeze before she motioned to the stairs, "C'mon, the guest room is up there and we'll get you a bath and some clothing - might be a little big on you - and then have dinner." Luna grinned at up and pointed to the stairs again, silently indicating that he go up them first.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis looked around the warm house with wide eyes, his expression openly displayed for once. It wasn't big, but it seemed large to him after the thin streets and tight spots he'd had to press himself into. It was warm and homely, the candles giving off a soft glow. He shrunk back when the two adults appeared, taking refuge behind Luna as much as he could; she wasn't too much taller than him.

He immediately disliked the man, but he was the nice girl's father, so he said nothing, turning his gaze to the woman instead. She was nice, with a kind smile and a warm aura, he liked her. She reminded him of warm sunflowers and white, puffy clouds.

Once the two had left again, he looked towards the stairs, glancing between them and Luna before he moved over and cautiously started to ascend.

Draconian

Luna watched him.

"Well, get moving," she waved her arms at him, "The help will..." Luna paused, smiling softly, "well, help you." She gave him a little shove, "Unless you want me to go up there and help you bathe," She teased, giving him a look, eyebrows up. "They're paid to help you, you're my guest and you'll be treated appropriately. I can wait in the hall for you, if that makes you more comfortable?"

TheHopeseeker

Ignis paused on the bottom stair and looked back, bright blue eyes unreadable once more, before he nodded, somewhat timidly, "If..you wouldn't mind?" He murmured quietly, eyes downcast to trace patterns on the floor. He knew it was probably foolish, but he only trusted Luna. Her mother was nice, but he didn't know her, or her husband. Then again he only knew Luna slightly better, and for all he knew she could be plotting to murder him in his sleep, but something told him he could trust her, and if nothing else, his weeks on the street had taught him to trust his instincts.

Draconian

Luna laughed, smiling.

"Of course, I have books I have to read and we have chairs." A tilt of her head and she smiled, "I need to change for dinner too," She pointed to a clock, "Hurry up," She waved her hands at him to usher him up the steps, "Dinner is soon and Mother and Father aren't fond of waiting." Another bright smile and she rushed up the stairs, disappearing into a room shortly while the help ushered Ignis along to the guest room. There was a warm bath, a set of clothing set out on the bed.

When Ignis found himself finished with his bath and changed, Luna would be sitting in the hall like she said she would be, holding a book very close to her face while she read and in a light blue dress. More skin exposed, her hair tied back in a simple ribbon. It was clear she didn't look Adelan win her pale as milk skin and white hair, and with her head buried in a book she didn't notice the boy unless he spoke up.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis couldn't help but giggle softly as he stepped out of the guest room and saw how close to her face Luna was holding her book, a shy grin breaking across his lips. Clean and dressed in fresh clothes, he looked like a whole new person, eyes bright and chipper while his pristine white hair hang to his shoulders in damp waves. The clothes were a little to big for him, as Luna had anticipated, but we're not overly so. He had rolled up the left sleeve on the oversized tunic to reveal the tanned, clean, skin beneath, but the right sleeve still hung long, the shirt slipping slightly to that side so that the sleeve covered his hand as well.
"Do you need glasses?" He asked softly, mirth in his voice and shy smile still in place.

Draconian

Did she?

Lune blinked at him owlishly.

"I've never considered it," A moments pause and she pulled the book away, the words becoming illegible and awful and fuzzy. "Neither of my parents have poor vision," mostly Luna commented that to herself, but perhaps she did. Tucking the book under her arm, she stood up, the dress covering her shoulders and she pushed her hair over her shoulder.

A bell rang and she smiled, holding out her hand again.

"You should roll up your other sleeve so you don't ruin it," She smiled and nodded to the other one, "Or roll that one down. People will ask more questions if you're lopsided." A wiggle of her fingers, "Come along, we're going to eat and then we're going to tuck you into bed and then tomorrow we'll get onto of that head of yours." Luna impulsively pushed a hand through his hair before smiling and she began to lead him to the dining room.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis looked down at his sleeve at her words, frowning as he realised what he'd ended up doing when he decided against rolling the right. Letting out a soft breath of either exasperation or just simple tiredness, he rolled the other sleeve down too, engulfing his hands in the fabric that was roughly ten inches too long for his arms.

He let her lead him downstairs without a word, smiling warmly at the thought of real, warm food as they descended back downstairs. Hopefully, if he kept quiet her parents wouldn't ask him too many questions, maybe they wouldn't notice him at all? Most people didn't notice him.

Draconian

Before they entered the dining room, Luna fixed Ignis's hair and knelt in front of him to fix his sleeves. "You don't have to have them rolled all the way down," She teased, taking the end and rolling them until his hands poked through, "You need your hands to hold utensils, hmm?" If he had anything strange on his hands, Luna either didn't notice or didn't comment and she pulled out a chair for Ignis before taking a seat beside him.

Like he had wished, her parents didn't notice him. Or rather, they did notice him, they just didn't address him. Except for her mother occasionally explaining to him what they had being brought to them for food and that he didn't have to eat anything he didn't want to. Luna smiled at him and answered questions about her day and her dad spoke up.

"Don't you get to meet your dragon soon?"

Luna frowned slightly, "That's the plan, Father, then if one finds me suitable I get to train to be a Rider" he nodded and she smiled, "Good. Well, you'll have to let me know how that goes." A brief look to Ignis and she smiled, "In Adela, there are Dragon Riding Knights. To be one is a great honor."

TheHopeseeker

Ignis nearly jerked his hands out of her hold when she rolled his sleeves up, his eyes flickering between her face and his red hand. Confusion flickered across his face when she made no comment, but he didn't have a chance to speak before she ushered him into the dining room.

He ate in silence for the majority of the meal, only shooting her mother a few shy smiles when she addressed him. Upon hearing her father speak of dragons, though, his eyes shot up from his plate, skipping between the two with awe-filled blue hues. "You get to ride a dragon?" He whispered, his voice stolen away by the sheer thought of it.

Somewhere in the back of his head, he realised he knew of dragons, maybe not much, but enough that he probably wouldn't be laughed at. He just couldn't remember it.

Draconian

Luna grinned.

"That's the plan," she nodded, finishing her meal, "There needs to be a bond though, and training." Pushing her hair over her shoulder she just smiled and placed her hands on her lap. "They're all different," she nodded before looking down at Ignis and smiling.

"All done? Feel better?" She smiled to her parents and pushed her chair away from the table, "should I tell you more tails of potential Rider business while we tuck you into bed?"