Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Mercyful Fate [M] [Boglin] [COMPLETE]

Started by Lion, April 10, 2017, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"I would not be able to lead my own men if I wasn't a man of my word. Honor is in rather short supply these days," and even as he said those words Roland knew the thrumming weight they resonated. He knew that there was a certain measure of dishonor that had come with the territory. Taking a broken duchy, lying to the woman that had been his wife - the only woman he could ever love...

What kind of honorable man did that?

There was honor...and then there was survival. In the end, that's what it was. Surivival.

As they marched off to the guest wing where the last remaining member of the Brennick family resided, Roland kept the lead and his men opened the door were Charles Brennick was under guard.

A few rooms, the basics for a nobleman of his quality and stature. But the fact remained the man was still a prisoner in that castle. He would never be free of the Iron Keep.

"Lord Brennick?" he called out, and found it rather odd and suspicious when he got no response. "Hello? There is a rather esteemed guest waiting to see you!" And once again there was no response.

And in that dusty bedroom there was only the faint sound of footsteps approaching. And the gaunt form of a man that was once tall, once regal, and with heavy shadows underneath his eyes. "Oh? Come to pay me a visit have you? And who is this? Someone else to gawk and laugh at the fallen Brennick line?" Charles said softly, observing the light coming through the open window of his room.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

"That they are," she quietly agreed with a slight nod of her head though he would not see it from where she was behind him. As they arrived though her mind drifted away from thoughts of her lover and back to duty. She squared her shoulders and raised her chin, slipping into the warrior skin with a well-practiced ease.

"Hardly," she growled softly as she pushed past Roland and into the room. Lord Brennick, as Grand Master Mordecai I come on behalf of the Grand Duke. I trust you've been treated well?" She cast a pointed glance back to Roland before stepping further into the room and eyeing the man before her warily. He seemed weary but resolved, a look that made her skin crawl. There was no telling what the man was thinking and she did not trust it for a second.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

Back to form, Roland stood by the door, and although it was closed, it was the cell door that would serve as Charles Brennick's prison for the remainder of his days. Having lost Falkenrath, having lost the duchy, lost his army, starved his people, and the shame of it was evident in the shadows underneath his eyes. Charles did his best to remain upright and back straight, standing at attention even as the Grand Master Mordecai approached.

"I have. Sir Roland is a gentleman, even if he is a usurper," he replied steadily. Eyes flicked over her, the haggard look in her eyes, the way her hair seemed disheveled, and he took could see the war in her visage. No doubt she saw the state of Falkenrath as she made her way through here. "Have you come here to deliver my execution? There is no need. I have no ill will toward the Grand Duke, and failure itself is punishment enough."

"Lord Brennick, we didn't come here to mock you."

"No? Your pretentious vindication is mockery enough. You should have done better than to let me live, Roland. An act of mercy, you called it. Yet I remain here to stew in my defeat, agonized that I could do better for my people, than a knight and his ramshackle army."

Roland grit his teeth together and stepped forward. "Charles!"

"Don't call me Charles. Don't you deign to defer to me by my given name," he hissed and moved toward the desk, pulling out a piece of wood that had been sharpened against stone. It was no blade, but the point was apparent enough. And he bared the point of it against his breast, underneath the ridge of his ribs. The stake itself was approximately 13 inches in length.

"CHARLES! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING?!

"I am the Duke of Falkenrath. And my honor will be restored," he sobbed, closing his eyes and clipping the tears that rolled down his cheek. Brennick hesitated no longer and instead pressed the stake deep into the soft skin of his belly, pushing upward at an angle and making no sound as he buried every inch of the spike inside of his torso.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

Alanna continued to eye the disposed nobleman coldly. She recognized what his venomous words were about long before he ever made a move against himself. They were the fighting words of an old tiger knowing his time was coming to an end. It was his time to die. The problem for her though was she did not understand what her instincts were telling her until it was too late.

As if in slow motion, she gazed on as he revealed his desired form of execution. In the back of he mind she could hear Roland screeching, almost begging the former lord to reconsider. Yet, she did nothing. The self-made dagger plunged into soft tissue and still she just stood there. Alanna watched as he collapsed and his last breath was had.

Only then did she move, slowly and deliberately forward. She said nothing as she knelt down and felt for a pulse. Nothing. "So ends the line of Brennick, Dukes of Falkenrath." She rose to her feet again to step out of the room. Death no longer phased her, she had seen so much of it over the past decade. What was one more lifeless body bereft of soul to the Grand Master Mordecai who sought only to bring an end and peace to her people?

"I take my leave of you then as I have no more business here and must share my report of the events that have happened here. You have my word Duke that I will do all in my power to present  the facts as they are and to be honorable towards all the men involved here. There is indeed more than one side to this story and I will do my best to put it all in a fair light." She nodded her head then to him out of respect while her eyes spoke volumes of the pain and love she was feeling for him in that moment. She did not want to leave but she must, especially if she was going to do her best to protect him, as difficult as that would be from opposite sides of the battlefield.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

Roland stared in disbelief as the former Duke of Falkenrath was laying there in a puddle of his own blood. He dropped his head and signed in front of him, the old recitations of his boyhood youth. Ansgar guide him, he thought to himself and cast his eyes over to Alanna as she reached down to check for a pulse, only to affirm the worst.

The war had taken it's toll on Falkenrath. The people had been nearly starved, driven out, marched through by army after army. When Charles Brennick could no longer protect them as was his duty, no longer abide by the oath he'd taken as Duke, his honor had been lost. Roland could understand this. Any man, woman, soldier, citizen could understand the need to protect the place they called home. And when they failed that duty, the sky was soon borne down upon them, the crushing weight no easy task to bear.

Roland chewed on his bottom lip a slow second, cutting his eyes back to Alanna's and finding the pain and sense of duty evident there. "I trust your judgment," he said, short and sweet. "You will be able to leave as easily as you arrive. My men will make sure Charles Brennick is properly tended to. Although it does pain me to have witnessed this at all. For what it's worth, I am sorry."

Just what he was sorry for, he didn't specify save that it was beyond all the events that had just occurred. Each had their duty to carry forth, and neither would relent for they promises that they were bound to. "Alanna. I mean, Commander. Despite everything, thank you for coming here and taking the time to speak with me. It's no small gesture."

His expression was hardened, eyes the only window as to the ache that burned beneath that steely facade. He was going to rebuild Falkenrath, make it a haven for the people that had suffered enough in this longwinded war. Even if he had to do that without her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She felt his pain as rawly as her own for it was one and the same. After all these years they had refound each other and now stood on opposite sides of a war that had torn apart everything they loved about their homeland and perhaps even, each other.

"Thank you for hearing me, Duke. It was no small gesture," she paused meeting his gaze and holding it intently, "but it was a worthwhile one." Alanna offered him a small nod, wanting nothing more than to reach out and embrace him or touch his arm, anything to hold on a moment more. But she knew she had already stolen her fair share of attention from him could take no more. She had to leave, she had a master to run back to like a mangy dog lost on the road.

She and her men mounted up outside, her stern soldier's facade once more in place and unshakeable. There were no tears or last goodbyes. There was only duty and even then she questioned the honor in that. But, as they rode away she could not help one last look behind her to the Iron Keep and where her heart had not only been rekindled but left behind.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]