Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Water And Vinegar (Blink)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, May 23, 2017, 04:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximately three hundred miles north of Pinemill
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emilia cursed loudly as her left foot got stuck in the mud. "Sweet Nevira! This swamp is a genuine travesty! Beauty in nature? Ha! That's a laugh." The human woman struggled for a few minutes, desperately trying to pull herself free. It was to no avail, and she angrily sat down in the muck, a look of defeat written upon her face.

"Defeat." That was a word Emilia thought about often. Had she been defeated? It would certainly appear so to the average onlooker, but Emilia knew better. After all, defeat had conditions that needed to be met.

Who had she been defeated by? Certainly not Aeizith, that wasn't right. He had never truly challenged her and won- even their most recent encounter had ended in a decisive victory for Emilia. More importantly, defeat only came after surrender. With nobody to surrender to, Emilia's "defeat" was impossible. Victory would come- so long as Emilia kept fighting, she'd win.

Emilia pulled herself out of the mud, a look of renewed determination on her face. Looking up at the night sky, she outstretched her hand and clenched it, as if she was trying to grasp the stars in the palm of her hand. She slowly brought her fist back to her chest. "This will all be mine again." the woman said in a barely audible whisper. "That's who I am, and it's who I'll always be- the one on top."

The human resumed walking, a small smirk on her face.

Pinemill

Eckhart looked at the food he had made, a sad expression on his face. The cure from Maladies had worked- they always did- and he flexed his arm absentmindedly. "Do you think she'll come back?"

Belladonna gave Eckhart an incredulous look. "Why would you want her to? She's nothing but trouble, you know that."

Eckhart sighed, and began to put the meat and vegetables in the casserole dish. "I don't think she... understands, really. Like, I don't think she's a bad person..." He paused. "...lizard. A bad lizard." He shook his head, and began to put the potatoes on top of the meat. "I think we just... I dunno, have different perceptions of morality or something."

"I'm pretty sure she's just a bitch, Tuna Fish. You know some people are just bad eggs, right?"

Eckhart put the pie in the wood stove and sat down on the counter. "Yeah. You're probably right. She was probably planning on eating me or something, I don't know what her deal is."

"She did save my life though- and she let me keep the earring. That has to mean something, right?"

Blink

Still looking down at her flats Kaida contemplated if she should even go back inside. She was sure Cranberry was relieved she was gone anyways... If anything she was beginning to feel more like a bother to him than anything. Maybe, that was why he hadn't realized his true potential yet... because she was standing in his way.

Kaida may seem like many things. A monster yes, a selfish person yes, an entitled brat...yes. But what someone seems to be like and who they truly are can be two separate things. Deep down all Kaida wanted was to be recognized which was hard considering the curse Emelia had placed on their name.

Looking back up at the stars Kaida then reached up, unknowingly mimicking the same exact thing Emelia had just done. "One day every star will have a name... a name that I helped them find." Closing her grip she then lowered her hand, a newfound determination emanating off of her.

Wiping her eyes Kaida straightened herself up before she began making her way back towards the inn. It was a short walk and as she closed the distance she could hear the festival and its occupants again. "Still annoying"

Walking back into the door she made her way towards the kitchen and leaned against the doorway taking notice that Eckhart was using his hand again. "So you fixed it then?" Her tone was curious although she knew he probably did it with the help of that stupid book and the irritating cat.

"Glad to know you're not dying today... I guess."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Shocked, Eckhart turned towards the door. "You- you're back!" he sputtered. "I thought you'd left..." On being asked about his arm, Eckhart gave her a thumbs up. "Um, yes. The cures in Maladies, they're very easy to make. Some of them are really useful too- there's a cure for vampirism is there!" He beamed at the dragon. "Now that I know how easy it is to repair nerve damage, I can practice that new power you helped me learn without having to worry about shutting off my entire body!"

From behind him, the cat sighed. "I know you're excited, but please don't overuse the book. You know who it might attract."

Eckhart looked at Belladonna with a disappointed expression on his face. "C'mon Bella." he whined. "Think of how useful that power will be once I figure it out! Next time I need to preform an operation, I can numb the part of the body I have to cut open so they won't feel any pain!"

Before Belladonna could object further, Eckhart turned back to Kaida. "I put the pie in the stove, it should be done in fifteen minutes!"

Blink

The young dragon really didn't have anything to say towards Eckhart's excitement of her return. Instead, she simply pushed off the door frame and made her way back towards the counter she was sitting on before.

As she walked Kaida listened to Cranberry speak to the cat about the book that ruined everything. She couldn't help but roll her eyes when he talked about how useful that ability would be if he could just figure it out. If anything it reminded her of an old saying. "You can lead a horse to water but can never make it drink..."

Jumping up onto the counter she sighed. "... even if shoving its face in the water would save me a lot of fucking time."

"I can't wait..." the lack of enthusiasm in her tone was evident.

So in fifteen minutes she could eat the stupid pie and be done with this. After that, she figured Eckhart could go on his merry little way with the feline. Speaking of which, if this cat was so awesome then where in the hell was it while he was being chased. "Probably off licking itself in some dark alley" she responded to herself, causing an amused smirk to appear on her lips.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Well!" Belladonna said as she stretched her legs. "I'm going to see if I can't find the rat I was chasing. Later, Tuna Fish!" She scampered out of the room, leaving Eckhart alone with the dragon.

Eckhart was very confused. "You were the one who asked me to make this for you? Do you not want it now? What's your fucking problem?" After perhaps five minutes of silence, he finally spoke.

"Kaida? Are you..." he began, then shook his head. "Did... Did I do something wrong?"

Blink

Kaida leveled her eyes on Eckhart, his question causing something to stir deep down. "You remember Jaela don't you?" Yet again Kaida slipped off the counter and began walking towards the oven. "Did you know that Jaela is actually quite extraordinary?"

Kaida then knelt down and felt the heat of the oven touch her face. "She can control magma... something not very many elementals can do." It was now that she stood back up, placing a hand on each hip as she stared him down.

"I like extraordinary things Cranberry. I like to help them become the gems they were born to be." Her subtle expression then turned angry. "However if that gem is an idiot then there really isn't much I can do about it!"

"You are not a healer Eckhart... stop trying."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart stared blankly at the dragon. "What?"

"This isn't happening. I want to be a healer."

"You're joking, right?"

"I need to be a healer."

"Don't say things like that. I don't think it's funny."

"No. I am a healer..."

Tears began to stream down Eckhart's face when the dragon's expression failed to change. "You're lying. I heal people all the time- I healed myself earlier today! You saw me do it!"

"My powers can't be bad. I need good ones, or I'll become like her..."

"So tell me. What am I really?" Eckhart spat angrily, still crying. "The answer had better be the punchline to a joke, you scaly asshole."

Blink

Kaida flinched when he yelled at her, feeling a pang of guilt in her stomach. "I'm not quite sure exactly but I do have an idea. I noticed the very first time you used your light in front of me. That is why I retreated without harming you."

All at once she began to feel horrible for telling him. The entire time she had kept telling herself torture was not the proper way to bring it out, yet somehow just by her words alone she had sent this boy into his own personal hell.

"I-I'm sorry Eckhart. It's just that you were so close." Taking a deep breath Kaida's hands then fell to her sides in clenched fists. "That stupid cat and that ridiculous book ruined it!"

"You can be so much more than you are! So much more than your sister!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart balled his fists, face wet with tears. "What do you mean you're not quite sure? Why would you tell me this if you didn't know?" Pulling his legs up onto the counter, he hugged them to his chest. "And how dare you call Belladonna stupid? You know nothing about the hell she's been through. Nothing!"

He shook his head angrily. "What makes you think I'd want to surpass Hilda? I'm fine with being number two. Only bad people are blessed with the power to make things change in their favor. I'm not bad, so I must be weak. That's how the world works."  Eckhart began to cry once more, burying his head into his knees. "If I'm strong, I'll become exactly like she is! Power corrupted her, and it'd corrupt me! I-I want to be weak!"

Tears flowed freely from his face as he looked at his knees. "J-just leave. I-I don't want you here a-anymore."

Blink

By this point Kaida had turned a bit from Eckhart, hiding her face as she battled the emotions building within herself. "Only bad people are blessed with the power to make things change in their favor" That statement alone enough to send what felt like a knife stabbing into her chest.

But then again, she could see why he thought that. Even Kaida had not been the penicle for good behavior to him. She has killed people in front of him, affiliated herself with his sister... need she go on? What was she supposed to say to something like that? There was no possible way for her to defend anything and make him feel better.

And then he was asking her to leave, telling her he did not want her around anymore. Honestly... she didn't blame him. "L-listen.." Kaida only turned herself more, now staring at the stove all to keep from having to meet his eyes and see the hell she had just unleashed on him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you. But I don't think you're ever going to be capable of being a bad person." She then laughed, trying to imagine Eckhart as evil and then for some reason Eckhart dressed in a frilly pink dress came to mind.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart looked up at Kaida, eye's brimming with hatred. "Why are you still here?" he said, his voice soft. "Why are you laughing at me?"

Eckhart grabbed one of the pans from the counter and flung it at the dragon. "I said go away!"

Blink

Appalled was one word to describe how Kaida was feeling as she sidestepped the pan. Angry could be another, but also in some way she felt like she deserved the outburst. "I don't have time for this..."

"You know what! Fine!" Kaida huffed as she made her way towards the door, pausing just before stepping out.

"And people like you wonder why creatures like me act the way they do." Her eyes narrowed as hate began to build in her own chest. "Excuse me while I go be the monster you think I am. Clearly, I am not capable of anything else to you!"

Eckhart may have been dealing with some inner turmoil right now but Kaida was hurt. She was hurt that despite the kindness she had shown towards the boy that in the end he still hated her. Again she was asking herself if maybe all of this was a waste of time. All she did was try to be honest and help him in the only way she knew how and yet.. it still wasn't enough.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Fine! I hope some hero fucking slays you!" Eckhart screamed back as the dragon stormed out. He  couldn't believe her nerve... And yet, he felt like he had done something wrong.

"...Tuna Fish? I heard yelling." Belladonna poked her head into the kitchen. Upon seeing Eckhart in tears, she rushed over to him. "Hey, hey, what's the matter? Did she hurt you?"

Eckhart shook his head. "She- she told me that- that I'm not a healer" he said in between sobs. "A-and that my powers are-"

"Eckhart, she's full of shit." Belladonna said, cutting him off. "Look, I've seen you do wonderful things for people with your magic. What she says and what you've actually accomplished are two very different things." The cat's eyes glowed, and the pie was levitated out of the oven and onto the counter. "I know I give you a lot of shit, but... I'm honestly impressed how you've turned out." Briefly glancing out the window, she continued. "And I think, if she ever met you, Vanya would be impressed too."

It was then that Eckhart broke. Tears flooded down his face like rain, and he scooped Belladonna into his arms and held her tightly. "Hey! You know I don't like snuggles." the cat protested, but Eckhart didn't care.

Maybe ten minutes later, Eckhart calmed down. The cat squirmed out of his arms, hair matted. "Ugh! Now I need to give myself another bath! Nice going, Tuna Fish."

Eckhart sniffled. "S-sorry Bella." He gave the cat a small smile. "You know, something good did come out of all this bullshit."

"Oh? What would that be?"

Eckhart took Kaida's coin purse out of his pocket. "I never gave it back after I payed for the ingredients."

Belladonna's eyes widened. "What! That's fucking legendary!"

Eckhart grinned wildly. "We don't need to worry about food anymore! And we could pay for a carriage instead of walking!"

"You could buy me some red snapper! I fucking love red snapper!"

"I suggest we celebrate by eating this pie Kaida so graciously bought for us!" Eckhart said with a smug grin.

The two friends would continue to mock the dragon for the rest of the night.

~fin~