Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

High On Life (And Also Drugs) [Armorend]

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, June 04, 2017, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Why did we have to stop here again?"  Randal complained as he stared out of the hostel window. His guardian Taza was sitting across from him, a cup of tea in her hand. They had been in Arca for a few days now, and Randal still didn't know why. Turning to look at her her, Randal gave her the best puppy-dog eyes he could manage. "Why won't you tell me? Don't you trust me?"

Taza sighed and shook her head. "Randal, I've told you already." she said, a look of annoyance on her face. "This job I've been given is secret. Remember what happened the last time I told you a secret?"

Randal's ears flushed red. He look out the window so as to avoid his caretaker's gaze. "... I told everybody." he admitted. "But, this time I'll-"

"Ah ah ah, what have I told you about buts?" Taza asked, a mischievous smile running across her face. Randal's ears went red again, and he stared at his feet.

"That they're for sitting on." he finally said in a defeated voice.

"That's right!" Taza exclaimed happily. "We don't talk with our buts, because that would be rude. Civility is it's own reward." Softening her gaze a bit, Taza continued. "Why don't you go outside, get some fresh air? You've been cooped up in here all day."

Randal's eyes lit up. "Really! You'd let me go out by myself?" To say he was excited was an understatement- the Taza he knew only let him go outside without supervision if there was an errand that needed to be run. He never got to go exploring before!

Taza shrugged. "We're not in Zantaric, now are we? I figure you can handle Arca by yourself. Just be back before sunset, 'kay?"

Randal nodded hurriedly and ran out the door. Upon exiting the hostel's lobby he took a deep breath, taking in the sounds and smells of the city. The air was cleaner in Arca than it was in Zantaric- "I can't even smell that weird ozone! Or the soot!" As he began to walk down the street, Randal began to dig through his pockets. 'Three. I have three pills." he thought with a small grin. "I should sell one, that way I'll have money for some fancy city food!"

Daydreaming about what wealthy Arcan citizens ate, Randal neglected to watch were he was going and collided into somebody. Falling on his behind in shock, Randal quickly apologized.

"Ow! Oh, um, sorry about that!"

Armorend

Kartuun had been awe-struck, traveling through Arca for the second time in his life, only possessing vague memories of his first time walking around parts of the city when he was about five or so. It was a much grander experience than home. Of course, now he was here on his own, having spent about a month traveling to this point; the goal, currently, was to find the more Mage's College of Arca, and see what they could tell him about locating his parents, if anything.

He didn't speak up much, having been warned by Sylmag, the tavern keeper from his home, not to ask random people about something they probably knew little. So, instead, he meekly walked along, occasionally asking for directions to reach the college, shrugging off any questions about what a relatively-young individual was doing alone in the city.

And indeed, he kept walking, until someone else had walked into him. Near-directly.

He looked down at the person who walked into him; it was another boy, around his age, alone. Ignoring the "shock" he felt in the parts of his body that collided with this fallen individual, he reached his arm out to quickly help the other kid up, the other hand simply resting on the blanket that hung on his shoulders so it wouldn't fall off.

"Uh, it's alright. Are you okay? Y'look confused or lost or something. I know that feeling." He gave a gentle grin, not wanting the boy to feel bad about bumping into him.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Looking up, Randal saw that the person he had walked into was a boy his age- or perhaps a little younger, judging from his height. Blue hair covered the boy's eyes, and he held what appeared to be a dirty tablecloth over his shoulder. Eyes lighting up, Randal took the boy's hand and pulled himself up. "I don't know anybody my age back home!" he thought excitedly. "Well, I guess Cassiopeia counts- but she's contagious." A goofy smile began to show on Randal's face. "Maybe I can make a friend here!"

Standing up, Randal gave the boy a smile. "Not lost!" he proclaimed happily. "Not yet, anyway! I'm from-"

"Don't say Zantaric, you'll freak him out."

"- from out of town, I don't really know where anything is yet. I don't suppose you know where a good place to eat would be?" He scratched the back of his head. "My name's Randal, by the way. What's yours?"

Armorend

"Uh." Kartuun was taken a-back by this guy's quick change in demeanor. "My name is Kartuun." He shrugged after telling his name to the excited boy. "I just ate a little bit ago at a tavern back that way." He pointed in the direction he came from, turning his head a little to the side as well. "Do you... Want me to show you where it is?" He didn't want this boy to become lost, if he wasn't already. He was alone, too.

"Maybe he's searching for his parents, as well." The thought crossed his mind. Were parents who left their kids that common?

"And uh, not that it matters, but I'm from out of town as well. I'm from Jadenshine."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal bounced on his heels. "That's awesome! So we're in the same boat then!" He peered in the direction that Kartuun had pointed. "And yeah that'd be great! But, uh..."

Randal paused. "Well I mean, I need money... but I probably shouldn't tell him how I plan on getting it."

"But first, I need to go to the bad part of town!" Shifting on his feet uncomfortably, Randal gave Kartuun a sheepish grin. "Um... I don't suppose you know where that is?"

Armorend

Kartuun's eyes widened a little. "The... Bad part of town? No, I don't know where that is. Why do you need to go there? Isn't it, you know, bad?" He felt rather concerned about this boy's priorities. Sylmag had warned him about staying away from the "wrong crowd", and here this boy was, looking to go somewhere dangerous.

"Of course, I do have Finniss to help out, if need be..." Kartuun mused to himself.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Um, well..."

It was beginning to dawn on Randal that living in Zantaric had affected him a lot more than he realized. "How does he not know where the bad part of town is? Isn't that what everybody looks for when they go someplace new?" Scratching the back of his head, he gave Kartuun a confused look.

"I mean, "bad" is all in the eyes of the beholder, right? I think that it's, like, one of those opinion things." Deciding he'd be honest with the boy, Randal dug into his pocket and pulled out a small orange pill. "I just need to know where I can sell this. I... don't have any money for food."

Armorend

"Oh. What is that thing? Medicine?" Kartuun eyed the minuscule item. "Well, if you want, I could help you find someone who'd buy that." He smiled. He was happy to finally find someone his age wandering around. Plus it'd be nice to help someone out.

"I could always pay for food, for you, if you can't find anyone who wants to buy the medicine. But let's at least try to sell it first, okay?" Kartuun looked ready to head out.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Medicine?"

Randal looked down at the pill in his hand- a powerful hallucinogenic- and smiled. "He doesn't even realize what it is!" Looking up at the boy, Randal grinned. "Thanks! I really appreciate it!" Looking across the street, he squinted. "So, uh, lets look..."

Randal suddenly noticed an armored man walking down the street. "Is that a guard? he thought nervously. There was no real "authority" in Zantaric- Randal had never seen a guard before."Will he imprison me if he sees me with the drug? I don't want to get in trouble!" Pointing in the opposite direction of the armored man, Randal began to walk.

"Let's look this way first! I'm sure we'll be able to find somebody!"

Armorend

"Okay, let's hope we find someone in need, soon!" Kartuun walked with the other somewhat-quickly down the street, looking around at the bustle of the city, quite different from the quiet pace of his home.

As they were walking, he saw a rather sickly elderly individual, and nudged Randal. "Hey... Would that man work?" But Randal shook his head and they kept walking; Kartuun only guessed that the medicine wouldn't cure that man of his particular ailments. He continued to look for more people who might be in need of help, however, as they made their way into a more unkempt part of the city. This place was more for down-trodden peasants and impoverished individuals who had lost work on the land of their lords, although there were at least a few decent businesses here and there.

"Is this what you meant by bad part of town? It... Looks kinda bad, Randal. Do we have to keep going?" Of course as they had made their way down here, Kartuun had noticed a marginal increase in unsavory individuals lurking along corners, along with a few more children running amok, but they neither appeared as pleasant nor as amicable as Randal, to Kartuun.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As they walked, Kartuun pointed out an elderly man to Randal, asking if he could use the medicine. Randal shook his head. "No. I could probably con him into thinking I had medicine, but I doubt he'd have much money." After a few more minutes of searching, the two boys reached a part of town that had considerably more shady people lurking about.

"Is this what you meant by bad part of town? It... Looks kinda bad, Randal. Do we have to keep going?"

Randal nodded, this was indeed what he'd been looking for. "Yeah, we should be able to find somebody here!" Holding the pill in his open palm, he'd lift his hand in front of his chest and kept walking. After a few minutes he heard a whispering noise coming from an alleyway. A haggard looking man was standing there, pointing at Randal with a quizzical expression. Randal beamed. "Found one! Stay here, okay? I'll only be a minute."

Walking up to the man in the ally, Randal smiled and outstretched his empty hand to shake his hand. "Hiya! What are you in the mood for today, friend?"

The man looked at him, seemingly puzzled by something. "You aren't one of the usual dealers." he finally said, ignoring Randal's outstretched hand. "Are you new here?"

Randal bounced on his heels. "Yep! I just got into town the other- AHH!" The man had suddenly pushed him up against the ally wall, and was now holding a wicked looking knife to Randal's throat.

"Well then, seeing as nobody else is relying on you for their fix..." the man said with a dangerous smile on his face. "... I'll feel no regrets about taking everything you have." Randal swallowed nervously. He'd been in one or two scraps before, but he had Taza with him then.

"How am I gonna get out of this?"

Armorend

Kartuun had kept watch on Randal, concerned for his safety and well-being, but also partly his own. If he was near the other boy, his thought was, he would be safer himself. It didn't help that now, Randal was being backed into the corner by some unsavory older man. His legs shook and his heart was starting to race at the thought of actually being in danger.

He walked into the alley, wondering if this would work, as he pulled the blanket from his shoulders. "Hey! Let him go!", he called towards the man. The presumable vagabond looked in the direction of the call, bemused as he saw another child.

"What, are you gonna stop me with that tablecloth of yours, little boy?" He goaded the much younger individual on, wanting to upset him further as he toyed a little with the knife against Randal's throat.

"N... No!" He was both answering the question and begging him not to injure Randal with his response. "Finniss, get Randal!" He threw the blanket forward lengthwise. Due to its material composition and the fact it was Kartuun throwing it, it only seemed like it would go about a third of the distance between the thrower and Randal. Yet while it was in the air, it changed. A form rose out of it.

All at once, it seemed something was both rising out of and changing from the blanket. A slightly-dirty, dark helmet, two plate-encased arms and hands came out of one end while feet and legs formed from the other, also metallic-looking. The blanket "spread out", stretching into the torso of the figure as it continued to run from the point at which its feet landed after being thrown by Kartuun. There was the clatter of plate mail as it ran forward; the stunned assailant had no idea what to do as this eight-foot-tall... THING was charging towards him.

However, it slowed to a halt once it reached the attacker and Randal. In one fell swoop he knocked the guy over (albeit not causing any lasting damage) and grabbed the boy, running him back towards Kartuun and setting him down, before standing in front of the two boys to ensure this man would cause no more trouble.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Glancing to the side, Randal saw Kartuun approach them. "Get away you idiot!" he thought in a panic. "Playing hero will get us both killed!" Kartuun seemed to have other plans however, and he began to speak. His voice audibly shook, causing Randal to cringe. "Oh Kia, we're doomed."

Then the unexpected happened. The addict taunted the boy, and in response Kartuun threw his tablecloth at the man. Randal's eyes widened as the sheet of fabric began to take a different shape. In it's place stood an armored figure, at least seven feet tall. "Wh- what!" Randal stammered in disbelief.

The addict seemed just as shocked, but he shrugged it off and pulled his knife on the tablecloth knight. He wasn't quick enough however, and the armored figure swiftly knocked him out. Randal then felt himself being picked up by the being, and he was soon placed next to Kartuun. 

Back in the alley, Randa could see the addict getting back up. Grabbing Kartuun's sleeve, Randal began to run back the way they came. "I changed my mind, you can buy me food! Let's get out of here!"

Armorend

"Hmmm? Even with Finniss protecting us?..." He looked back towards the creepy man."... Yeah. You're right. Finniss?" The armored figure looked down at its young charge, indicating it was listening even while its helmet obscured its face, if it had one. "Take us back up the road, okay? I'll tell you when to stop."

Finniss gave a slow nod once then picked up one boy in each arm, their backs against the joint between his arm and his shoulder, and jogged out of the alley, hurrying back up the street that Kartuun and Randal had come from, the plate that formed Finniss clanking a little with every footfall.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal felt himself being scooped up by the linen knight, and he and Kartuun were soon being carried down the street at a breakneck pace. Multiple times Randal thought they were going to collide with passersby, but the armored being was much more nimble than it looked- it managed to weave through the crowd without so much as bumping into somebody.

Looking behind him, Randal saw the addict rush out of the alleyway in pursuit. A look of utmost hatred was etched onto his face, and he screamed as he ran after them. "You little shits! I'll have your heads for this!"

Armorend

Kartuun laughed as he and Randall ended up in the nicer part of town once-again. "Finniss, you can stop around here." The being slowed rather quickly on command, and set the two boys down.

Kartuun looked up to the giant (relatively-speaking) knight and smiled. "Thanks. You can go back to normal now." He took its hand, and it nodded, before the material went from the appearance of shining metal to simple cloth. Limbs receded into the torso and, in a period a little faster than its shape-shifting in the other direction, shifted back into a blanket, one edge of which Kartuun held in his hand, and the other which he caught as it fell back down. He slung it over his shoulders, and turned to Randal.

"Whaddya feel like eating? I thought I smelled food around here..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal watched in awe as the giant folded back into a moldy sheet of fabric. "That's so cool!" he thought jealousy. "I wish I had one of those..."

Randal's eyes lit up at the mention of food. "Pierogi!" he exclaimed excitedly. "Lets get pierogis!" His ears flushed red. "And, um, sorry about earlier. I... Forgot that the bad part of town was bad." He grinned sheepishly. "My bad."

Armorend

"Pirogues?" Kartuun raised his eyebrow at Randal while slinging the blanket back over his shoulders. "What are those? I've never heard of 'em." He looked about for a tavern or eatery as they slowly walked along the street. "See anything? Or uh... Smell anything?"

When Randal apologized, Kartuun smiled, reassuring him. "It's alright. At least we had Finniss to protect us."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"What? You've never heard of them?!?" Randal exclaimed with his eyebrows raised. "But they're so good! Are they just a Zantaric thing?"

Randal's ears flushed red. "Crud! Did I just say that out loud?" Hoping Kartuun didn't realize that he'd just given away where he was from, he continued. "They're like, little potato and cheese filled things! Like, ravioli but with potatoes! Do you know if anyplace around here has those?"

Armorend

"Nnno. I've never heard of them. You wanna ask someone? I think we should find an adult who looks like they know where they're going. They might know where to get them." He shrugged at Randal.

When he thought about what Randal had said, he spoke up. "Did you say Zantaric? My parents talked about that place occasionally. My dad had said there were always reports of bad magic being used down there. Is that true?" He looked at the other boy more curious than suspicious or worried; the mention of Zantaric hadn't brought fear or concern into the boy's eyes.

Tags: