Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Underfoot (Armorend)

Started by Whim, June 04, 2017, 08:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

Ewan tiptoed inside; the quiet was oppressive. At the sight of the dustpan his heart sank. A kid Kartuun's age ought to be making mischief. Something else was off too. The canopy was open and washbasin filled with clear water. There was a hint of adult-judgment residing in the little wizard's mind. "No one else is living with you, right?" Being lonely and attention starved could lead to making dangerous friends, after all.

The boy mostly followed Kartuun's lead not wanting to overstep. "Do you suppose they hid a focus in a regular-looking thing? They taught us that at school for emergencies." First he tried an etched fire poker. It turned warm and puffed smoke. Then came a sandalwood brush. Invoking it grew Ewan's hair to neck-length, prompting a shriek of surprise. "Gah! Am I- what just happened?" he pushed the hair from his eyes with a huff of annoyance. Were it not for being bare-chested and clad in a loin-cloth he might've been mistaken for a girl, too. Both were enchanted objects, but neither were arcane focci.

Amidst their rummaging a glimmer of light, like pale foxfire, peeped from a hole in the floor beneath the bed when either boy passed...
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Armorend

Kartuun watched as Ewan walked around the room once he had been led in. Seeing him attempt to use a fire poker as a focus was pretty amusing. Was this guy really a great wizard, if he couldn't even tell a decent focus? Then he picked up the hairbrush. "Wait, you know that not every--" Ewan tried using it.

"Wow. Nice one." Kartuun smirked at Ewan whose hair had become much shaggier. "Are you sure you're an actual magic user, when you can't even tell what an item will do if you put magic into it? I mean I know there's more to it than just that, but..." He trailed off, a bit concerned about Ewan's credentials but not wanting to push it further given the boy's humiliation a moment before.

The two boys continued looking. "Uggh, where IS that stupid thing?" Kartuun stomped the floor, and there was a flash of light from under the bed. He turned his head and his eyes met Ewan's, as they dropped down and scrambled under the bed.

Whim

"I pretty much reversed ageing! Of course I'm a wizard. Bet I could even take on Finness once I get my power back" Color rushed to his freckled cheeks. ""I graduated the academy a few years ago. Life magic is what I do, plants and animals and stuff, I never paid enchantment and magic hair-brushes much mind.

"Until now!" an impish smirk crossed the boy's face, as he prepared to swat Kartuun with the implement, but then he saw it. The glow.

Ewan gave Kartuun a nod and they set to work prying the floorboard, green light flickering from between two cuts. Beneath it was a sandalwood wand, intricately carved to look like a branching tree. It was capstoned with polished quartz. Definitely the work of the orphan-boy's parents. Its flickering intensified as the mage children grew nearer. Kartuun's mother might have warned him, some years ago, that enchantment degrades with time like anything else. Such creations might react to the mere presence of a mage, or leak unpotentiated magic when used. That is, magic that did not yet know what it wanted to be and was highly sensitive to the imagination of anyone near.

Ewan reached for the wand, but hesitated. Kartuun was probably still sensitive about his parents old things. "Um, could I?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Armorend

Kartuun shot back at Ewan. "Yeah, someone younger than us could take on Finniss if they knew how to disenchant him... I wanna see you take him on without magic!" Kartuun added on the second bit to keep the air from getting too hostile.

Once underneath the bed, realizing a focus was underneath, Kartuun aided Ewan in freeing said focus. Once it was out, Kartuun could only look on. His mom let him watch as she enchanted the bark of a log to peel itself away, steadily shrinking in size, taking shape into a small leafless facsimile of what was likely the tree used to create this wand. The green glow on top reminded him of his father asking him to be quiet as he set the quartz into place atop the focus. Whether an unmarred stone produced any appreciable distinction in magic channeling was still debated by scholars of magic and enchantment, but Kartuun's father at least saw no reason to not have an unblemished stone crowning one of the finer pieces his wife and he had put together.

All of this flashed through the boy's mind in about three seconds, and without much fanfare he nodded to Ewan, allowing the other boy to grab the wand. "Just don't break it, okay? My parents put a lot of work into it. Watch out for any random magic that might happen too, since it's been under here for a while." Kartuun never had to bear witness to magical mishaps and frankly, given their sheer randomness at times, he didn't want to witness any, either.

Whim

"I'll be careful." Ewan clutched the wand in two hands, as if afraid of dropping it. The boy would have preferred a broken piece of trash to a priceless memento; odds are it would break and upset Kartuun. Still, it felt good holding the wand; he felt secure, focused, being able to work magic. "And thanks, Kartuun.

"And Finniss is huge! How can I stand a chance without turning into a bear, or growing huge?" Ewan sidled beside his new friend, flexing his scrawny arms in mock comparison. "Bet I could beat you, though." He flashed a grin.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

Kartuun looked to his own arms out of curiosity as well as for comparison. Then he looked to Ewan. "... I guess... Never had to fight anyone before so I wouldn't know. Have you? You probably just used magic to deal with anyone who tried to fight you, right? Turn 'em into a frog or somethin'?"

He smirked as he envisioned Ewan using his wand to turn a would-be aggressor into a harmless amphibian, though he debated whether or not to follow-up by asking if said aggressor(s) got changed back. Not something he really needed to know right now.

"Anyway, uhm. What now, now that you have a focus?" Kartuun stood back up once he had crawled out from under the bed, stretching too.

Whim

Neither Kartuun nor Ewan had much muscle to speak of, but the enchanters' son might have been pleased to see he was a hair bigger. The little wizard just blushed. "For being the real kid here you're awful serious! But  no, I guess I haven't been in a proper fight without magic. And I prefer making people toads - the warty skin takes days to wear off." That took him back to his days of proper wizard dueling at the academy. It was his little trade-mark after a victory.

Ewan's eyes fell toward the documents piled on the bed. "Well I suppose I'll finish with those letters and things tonight - it shouldn't take too long! We'll leave as soon as we have an idea where they might have gone. And pay Dugan a visit to get my wand back." A little smirk crossed his face, "I know you don't want me keeping this forever. And I should make that big bully a toad, anyway."

He chose not to mention Sylmag. Saying he planned to shirk his promise to work at the Fae's place for a week wouldn't be setting the best example. He didn't fancy all that sweeping and cleaning, and was sure Sylmag intended to stuff him in some orphanage, out of concern for his well-being, soon after.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

Kartuun felt himself grow warm when Ewan mentioned turning Dugan into a toad.

"Are you serious about making him into a toad?" He asked, with a quiet but concerned tone. "I mean, I know he took your wand, but he doesn't need to be turned into an animal for that, at least not for more than a few minutes... I wouldn't bully kids or anyone else, but if I stole something from someone , I certainly wouldn't want to be turned into a toad or somethin' for hours or days. Would you?"

Kartuun made assumptions about how serious Ewan was and also the length of the punishment, but given that the boy had just admitted to making individuals into toads and having their skin be covered with warts for a few days, he seemed more vindictive than Kartuun had been taught magic users should be. Though this was going off assumptions and not reality; perhaps Ewan had different notions of how people should actually be 'punished' for what they do.

Whim

"Why not? It's not like he would die or it's even forever." Ewan grinned broadly at Kartuun, rolling his eyes some. The other boy did not seem amused, almost like he'd tattle. "You know I don't mind being little again, except that even other kids try and scold me! It should be the other way round. You're not always this serious, are you?"

The boy licked his fingers and began to page hastily through the mess of correspondence and logbooks he found. All the ledgers and sums we're soo boring! They were buying lots of leystone and squirmwood and mycodentia caps. And then he saw it. A familiar seal: an ouroboros entwined about a face, half skull and half-man. "Hey look! Its a letter from Wyrdwood. I went there you know," he held out the letter for Kartuun. He remembered suddenly what the boy had mentioned about schooling. "Oh. You, um, do ya need me to read it?"

QuoteWikuube & Bertlinus,

I hope you are enjoying PLAYING HOUSE and REARING YOUR WHELP. At a minimum you had best send him our way with his breeding. Animate plows for fat farmers and sex-switching girdles for degenerate lordlings or whatever you make in your little country store are beneath you. Your talents are needed.

WAR looms on the horizon. And I do not speak of some LACK-WIT Connlaothian nuns diddling each-other and pretending they stand any chance at all against a proper wizard. No, there is a larger and greater threat to our civilization brewing and simmering. If it reaches fruition your progeny, or perhaps your very child, will be clapped in chains and made some PAINTED LAPDOG. I will not speak more but you know I do not lie. This land is filled with complacent and degenerate cattle growing fat for the slaughter. You know the sort: prancing about in feathers playing at being some Yoreiqi savage, opening our gates to apologists and spies from the north, calling my work necromancy!

Return to Wyrdwood. I will give TRUE PURPOSE to your gifts.

MAERGATH

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

"It doesn't sound that fun to be a frog, even for a little..." Replied Kartuun quietly as he watched Ewan look at the paper. Then Ewan had two realizations, one shortly after another. The first was that the letter they had found was from Wyrdwood. The second was realizing that Kartuun had left school and was therefore ill-equipped to read.

In response to this notion, Kartuun's face turned a little red. He snatched the paper out of Ewan's hands. "I can read it myself!" Whether Ewan had actually gotten a chance to look or not, Kartuun in this moment didn't care. Reading was something his parents had started teaching him even before he went to school...

Kartuun clutched the paper tighter as he read through it. A few tears streamed down his face and he brought the paper away, not wanting it to get stained with them. He didn't even finish reading it; how could he when whoever it was, was so rudely writing to his parents and him?! Really, this day had just been too much frustration mounting up and being dropped on Kartuun. He sank to his knees, arm reaching out and handing the paper up to Ewan, as he cried once-again. Through no personal fault of Ewan's, the other boy had inadvertently scratched away at the wound on Kartuun's heart until it had begun to bleed again. The boy just wanted to sleep, now, clutching his blanket tightly.

Whim

Ewan's mouth hung open as Kartuun began to cry. He was a kid, in some ways, but was not used to handling the frustrations and tantrums of real children. "Its, um, gonna be okay..." the sniffling did not let up so easily, and that broke his heart.

"Come on. Let's get you to bed. It was a big day." The little wizard took Kartuun by the arm, tuggling him gently down the hall toward what was surely the orphan's bedroom. It was further down the hall toward the front, and the door was shut. It was probably going to be clean too. A boy Kartuun's age should not have a tidy room.

"I went to Wyrdwood too, ya know, and I know the wizard who sent the letter. He's a really good enchanter but he's really mean." In truth the note raised more questions than it answered. If Maergath had summoned his parents why wasn't anyone left to take care of Kartuun? It wasn't the time to bring any of this up. "We could go there ya know, you and me, and maybe look? I bet they could even work a spell to track them!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

Kartuun quieted down, listening to Ewan's reassuring words. The sniffling continued after the tears had ceased, as it always seems to do, but at the least he rather wearily followed Ewan down the hallway to his room.

He stood and half paid attention to Ewan's words, exhausted and not really up to listening or... Much of anything. When Ewan mentioned the idea of going there, though, Kartuun wasn't sure what to think. His mind was heavy with exhaustion and negative emotions. Could he muster up the fortitude to actually make that journey? "... I guess. Maybe..."

What was he thinking in trying to venture out and find his parents? Already, not even having left home, he had broken down into tears. Cancelling the journey might just be for the best. But regardless, he was still tired. He reached down and grabbed the door handle, pushing the door open. The room itself was dark, but light from the hallway pored in. The room was neatly-arranged, as would be expected, bar the bed.

The bed was messily-arranged as if it had been slept in and not made after the fact. Kartuun plodded into the dark room, separating himself from Ewan, and flopped onto the bed, lying horizontally before pulling himself onto it diagonally. Finniss was pulled from his shoulder and brought up next to him as he clutched it close. The distraught boy said nothing to Ewan. He wanted to, but couldn't, leaving him in the hallway and trusting he'd find his way. Kartuun badly desired a hug, physical affection he hadn't had in a while that would reassure him and make it all better.

Whim

Ewan watched the wimpering boy climb into bed in silence. He opened his mouth to say something but stopped. Still, there was no way Kartuun could go on living like this. Taxes would be due and the lord would take the house. And then what? The shy enchanters son would surely be carted off to some orphanage, or would be stuck cleaning tables for Sylmag forever or something. It briefly occurred to Ewan those things weren't horrible, but being resigned to such a life seemed horrible to the little wizard. Still, there was no reason to voice those fears.

He took a tiny step toward Kartuun, tugging a blanket over the somber boy. It had probably been months since anyone did that. With a sigh Ewan sat behind him and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. "Its gonna be alright. We'll figure something out. You've done really good on your own. I bet they'd be proud of you.

"if you're afraid to go maybe we can find some other way to get in touch. Maybe we can send a letter?" Ewan tried to sound positive. He really did. But a hint of uncertainty wavered in his voice. This wasn't the sort of inquiry to be sorted out by mail. Otherwise they would have written back, no? "I can stay until we get you taken care of, alright?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

"No... It's okay..." Kartuun's voice was sullen and quiet. Much as he felt bad about everything else and just wanted to sleep, he also felt bad about, well, making Ewan feel bad. "I want to go. Just not tonight. You can stay here if y'want..." He sniffled. "Night, Ewan." His words trailed off and he didn't speak after that, trying to sleep and recuperate from all the stress of the past day.

It didn't take long before his world faded to blackness, wanting to make his way to the next day, which could only be an improvement on the past one. The blankets slowly rose and fell in front of Ewan as the boy had dozed off not out of rudeness but from mental exhaustion. And now the unfamiliar house was left to the regressed wizard, a place where he'd likely find plenty of information on magic he hadn't known prior. That is, along with being somewhere he, himself could rest as well.

Whim

"Thanks. We'll pack in the morning, okay?" Ewan gave Kartuun a reassuring smile and turned to go, leaving his new friend to sleep. The little wizard wandered the house for a bit. First collecting some blankets to sleep on the sofa, then some books from the study on object animation. Mostly he liked working with fleshy things but making a chair talk did seem like a good parlor trick. It couldn't be that hard could it? Its not like you had to make sure the chair was going to die or mutate from magic residuum? But then you had to give it a whole personality didn't you? And finally, after his stomach started growling, so the boy wandered into the kitchens for a snack. "Golly, long hair is annoying!" he had to shove it out of his eyes twice while combing the larder. It was really well stocked! There were jams and honey and even some sweetrolls. All things he liked! Though it was kind of overstocked and most of it would go bad before being eaten, nor was it very nutritious. Such a thing was to be expected with Kartuun doing the shopping after all...

Wrapped in blankets, a book wrestling on his belly, Ewan drifted off to sleep in the parlor.

The window of the master bedroom overlooked a tiny market. Usually it was desolate in the early morning hours, but for some enterprising peddlers eager to get a good spot for their wares. Calen, a farmer's son with crates of chickens was one such merchant. The young man was enjoying the sunrise when a trio of youths strode into the square; one clutched a twisted wand capstoned with a hunk of amber.

"Do you even know how to use it Dugan? You can barely read. You definitely ain't magic," a squat and ugly boy, about sixteen or so, rolled his eyes.

"Sure I am! And I'm clevever than you by half. Remember when ya tried to moon Jessup? Remember how the window was broken and you cut your ass up? How's that feel anyway?" the tall and gangly one grinned back. "Now watch!"

With that the gangly thief flicked his wand toward the chicken crates; there was a flash of green light and the cage broke apart. A pair of fat hens within began to grow and grow. They ballooning to the size of horses, and sprouting scaly tails and fearsome claws. The hen, now a cockatrice, made a terrible screech and spit a foul smelling gas into the square.

"Kia's crabby cunny!" the farmer's son staggered back and away from the monsters.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Armorend

"Hnn...?" Kartuun found himself ejected from sleep, clutching the blanket beside him tightly, as a commotion dragged him back into consciousness. It wasn't a commotion inside the house... It seemed to be coming from outside. The previous day's events all hit Kartuun at once but he let go of most of it, not wanting to give his young mind a headache before he'd even left the comfort of the blankets covering him.

Getting up with a deep exhale, Kartuun shed his clothes from the prior day and grabbed fresh ones from out of his dresser, putting them on. Not in a hurry, by any means, he dragged the covers of his bed up and onto the pillows at the head of the bed. Grabbing his blanket, he then made his way out of his room and downstairs. It wasn't difficult to see the cloth-covered lump bobbing up and down on the couch, once he reached the bottom of the steps. Definitely Ewan, still sound asleep.

Walking over and grabbing the other boy's shoulder, Kartuun gently shook him. "Hey... Ewan? Get up. It's morning... Plus there's somethin' going on outside. I didn't see what but I didn't wanna go out and look by myself." He continued nudging Ewan until he finally responded.

Whim

"Huh-wuh? Let's go back to sleep and maybe it will go away..." Ewan sighed, drifting back to sleep before another nudge came. "Ow! Okay! I'm up." He slid from the sofa, rising with a stretch.

Together they pattered to the front window and pressed their faces to the glass. The early-morning market, lit only by the faint orange of a distant sunrise, was in disarray. Carts were overturned, cages busted open, fruit everywhere. A pair of scaled, bird-like creatures big as horses were prowling about. "Whoa! That's a redwinged cockatrice. What are they doing all the way up here?" A trio of guards took shelter at the edge a market, no doubt trying to work out how to wrangle them. On the other side of the Market three young men, sniggering, crouched behind a stall. One clutched a shimmering green staff.

"That's Dugan! Kartuun, you stay here, I have to get my staff back! Its okay if I borrow this right?" with that the little wizard grabbed the broken wand, and dashed to the door...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: