Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flaming Hearts {OPEN, PM to join}

Started by Celegwen, July 24, 2017, 02:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

"Exon!" Bartholomew called from backstage. "Extrotun!" He used his full name, which everyone knew was serious. "Where the bloody hell is my fire dancer?"

A half painted, black and tan dog came running around the bend with his tongue hanging out of his mouth and wet paint splattering everywhere. "Feldler!" Extrotun shouted, chasing after him. "Feldler, come! Now!"

The dog skidded to a stop and looked up at Bartholomew with a wagging tail. Bartholomew glared at Extrotun, as the young man walked over. "You're on stage in fifteen minutes. Be ready."

Extrotun mocked Bartholomew behind his back, earning a few silent snickers from other performers. "Come on, boy," he said. They ran back to where Yeolin was waiting with the paint. "Sorry, Yeo. He never sits still for getting painted."

"I'm aware," she said, repainting the flames on the dog's fur. "How you managed to fireproof a dog, I will never understand."

Extrotun smirked charmingly, his crystalline eyes practically glowing. He looked in the mirror and fixed his hair to appear like red flames, then painted an orange, red, and yellow mask across his eyes. He cast a resistance spell on himself and Feldler, then tossed sparkles on both of them. The dog barked excitedly in response and tried to bite the falling sparkles.

He went out on the stage by himself, and the crowd that was gathered on the grass exploded with applause. The Fire Dancer and Flaming Dog show had gotten quite popular, and Extrotun absolutely loved the attention. He bowed to the audience and extended his right arm to the stage entrance. Someone tossed him a large hoop, slick with oil. He caught it without looking and spun it in the air a few times.

"Welcome, everyone!" He shouted into the crowd. "I am the Fire Dancer, and I would like to personally welcome you to my show. This is an exciting performance filled with a hint of magic and daring feats by man and beast. Now, I need an assistant." Hands all over the audience raised and people cheered. Extrotun looked thoughtfully among the people, then whistled. Feldler came running out, and everyone laughed. "My assistant, everyone." He bowed once again. "Enjoy the show."

He snapped his fingers against the hoop, which was immediately engulfed by fire. For about twenty minutes, Felder and Extrotun dazzled the crowds with illusions and feats that no one had seen attempted before.

At the end of his show, Extrotun bowed and Feldler barked three times. He extinguished the flames and looked out into the crowd. His eyes then met those of someone who seemed to stop his heart.

Wrathwyrm

He met the eyes of a Serenian in the audience.  Now, foreign people came to Thanatos, interested in trade or culture whatnot, so that much isn't abnormal, but they carried themselves thus.  The ones who are in here for entertainment, they are 'oooh' and 'aaah'.  The ones who might be thinking of business, they are appraising the show and going 'I wonder if I can get these people down to the mainland'.  And then, there were these eyes: Positive interest, the eyes of one who likes it and is trying to figure it out.

Such eyes were brown and belonging to a woman with matching hair.  She seemed human, at first, with Caucasian-tanned skin, at first, but some of the inflections of her face and the point of ears that managed to poke through her hair suggested that she was also of elven ancestry.  A half-elven woman from Serendipity.  She was...nice-looking, and that wasn't simply a comment on how attractive she seemed.  She had a kind face.  Her body was athletic in a human way with that bit of elven alright thrown in there too.

The woman stood out because of her gaze, her look, and because she was not wearing a dress, which alot of women did.  She was in an outfit that was shirt and pants, darker pants than the lighter shirt, which was under an all-weather travel cloak that was currently open and with the hood back.  She was a traveler with some sort of professional attitude and sense, because she'd prepared for the rain, and she was in pants.  Curiouser and curiouser.  Well, at least she seemed to be enjoying the show.  There was a smile on her face, after all.  Though, she did appeared to be, at times, scanning the audience...

Celegwen

Extrotun managed to tear himself away from the gaze of the mysterious woman. He and Feldler ran off the stage, meeting Yeo in the back. "Take Feldler," he said quickly. She held onto the dog's collar, as Extrotun raced down the stairs behind the stage.

The audience was attentively waiting for the next show to begin, as Extrotun's show was just attention-grabbing opener. He stood next to the stage, leaning against one of the temporary posts that held the curtain up. His eyes scanned the crowd for any sign of the girl.

Then he saw the tips of her ears poking through her dark hair. He whistled loudly in the direction of backstage, and Feldler came racing out with his tail wagging.

"See that girl, buddy?" Extrotun asked, making sure the dog had the girl in sight. "Go!"

Feldler raced through the crowd, scaring some people at first before they realized it was the Flaming Dog from the show. He raced up to the girl and barked, tossing his head back toward his master, while Extrotun eagerly awaited her reaction.

Wrathwyrm

She was enjoying her first visit to Thanatos.  Though they were renowned for not wanting too many foreigners in their country, the Thanati were polite and courteous to those who ever come.  Of course, it was well-noticed when an unsophisticated schlub was hit with a back-handed comment that went above his head.  It takes a keen ear and an education to hear that burn.  Not that anybody had done so to her.  There were others, merchants or roaming toughs, who were more than likely to receive that treatment.  Not to someone like her, who was open to the ways of the people here, having respect for the law, and so on.

Her eyes were on the show, taking it in, but there was something on her mind, which had remained firmly lodged in there ever since that letter came...

Dear Mr. Zan,

You once told me that if it should die, or if anything should happen to it, before you or your brother came to Thanatos, that I should contact you.  I do not know why your brother - Was it Arden? - has not come, but whatever the reason, we need your or him or both.  The Eye of Hunger has been taken.  You must come to Thanatos.

Arlius The Scribe

This letter eventually reached her home because 'Mr. Zan' was her uncle, Zan Goldswith, who had died in a town that was destroyed soon after.  Arden Goldswith was her father, and both he and her mother had died as well, defeating an army of racial purists who had aimed to kill them all because her mother was an elf enamored by a human, and had dared defy them.  She was proud of who she was because it pissed off such terrible people.  Still, the letter had reached her house, since it had nowhere else to go, and she had sent a reply.

Dear Arlius,

My name is Rena Goldswith.  Arden Goldswith was my father and Zan was my uncle.  I assume responsibility for all affairs of family.  I will leave for Thanatos immediately.

Sincerely,
Rena Goldswith

The only trouble was that after reaching the island and finding a room, she had no idea how to find this man.  He could be anywhere a scribe is used.  So, to help her think and perhaps even find him at random, looking for new arrivals who might be a Serenian called Goldswith, she took in a show, which immediately interested her, as this man had been working with fire and what had to be a well-trained dog.  It definitely got her mind off of things and drew her into a better mood, and then...

"Well, hello."

After the first act, the dog from said act had leapt into the crowd - rather nimbly - and came up right to her with a friendly bark and a pointing of his head towards the backstage.  A well-trained dog, indeed.  Rena liked animals.  It seemed to come naturally, with her uncle owning a pet shop.  The dog's presence was instantly heartwarming to her, but...he wanted her to head back there?  Her eyes widened for a second, and then looked up where the showrunner, Fire Dancer, appeared to be waiting.  Was this what she'd been looking for, or a remarkable coincidence?  Only one way to find out.  She followed the dog as it lead her to the man, giving him a friendly smile.

"Well, you're not exactly who I was expecting, but you are very good.  Tell me, were you looking for me or was I just found?"

She had been scanning the crowd, and that did mean she'd been on the lookout for someone, or waiting for something to happen. It made sense for her to ask this.  That being said, her voice and her mode of speech would definitely place her on the good side of Thanati in general.

Celegwen

"Can't it be both?" He asked with an elegant flare to his voice. Feldler whined, sitting at his master's side.

Several people in the crowd glanced the way of the trio, but the attention didn't bother Extrotun in the slightest. He was accustomed to being recognized, escpecislly in costume, and enjoyed being amongst the people after one of his shows.

The right corner of his lips curled upward, displaying his devious charm. He ran his hand along his dark scruff and briefly looked the girl up and down, examining everything about her from the elven ears to the unusually masculine attire.

He stood straight and folded his arms across his greatly exposed, tattooed chest. Feldler immediately stood, believing they were going somewhere and eager to follow.

Extending his arms out to the sides and crossing his right leg behind his left, he bowed dramatically and stood once again. "I am called Extrotun, the Fire Dancer," he said with a smile. "You may call me Exon, for short. This is my best friend and costar, Feldler."

He looked her over once more, his remarkable deduction skills seeming to fail him. "My elven beauty, what might your name be? And what has brought you to a Maoin performance in Thanatos?"

Wrathwyrm

She wasn't anymore worried about standing out than he was, because Rena knew something of the law around here.  Truly standing out was a matter of either pulling crimes or committing taboos, thus dishonoring oneself.  One such taboo was something that she was capable of: Magic.  Not all magic, mind you, but some of what she was capable of was frowned upon here.  It was actually worse than being around Mordecai, since that was mere anti-magic power, whereas this was a case of literally embarrassing yourself.  Still, onto the tattooed and rugged performer.

"It could be both, but it all depends."

She didn't explain what it was that it depended on yet, but it would come up, certainly.  The show would continue, and the two of them would talk while an adorable canine stood between them.  The Fire Dancer introduced himself with a bow.  It was common to bow in Thanati, but Rena had the feeling that theatrics naturally made him put a spin on it.  She returned his bow, though not quite as extravagant as his own.  And then, he asked...

"Rena Goldswith, and it was I who brought me in here, though it was a letter that brought me to the country."

As she moved her cloak to reach into a belt pouch for the letter, Extrotun could see two daggers that were not of iron make, also on her belt.  Being armed was not a crime, but they would stand out just a little because they were actually Mythril.  Most Serenians did not have iron weapons and some not even steel.  They were allergic to iron.  Even still, steel could be tolerated and other materials like silver more common.  This was a light-weight and sturdy material, and more expensive.  Anyway, to the letter.

"A scribe known as Arlius was trying to make contact over a matter of some importance.  I sent back that I was coming, though I have no idea who he is or where to find him, nor does he know me at all.  I'm guessing that you're not a contact of his, but since I don't really have a friend to help me while I'm here, mybe you could help me out after the show?"

Celegwen

He smiled in a friendly manner, an all too uncommon gesture for Extrotun. His instinct was to avoid being genuine at all costs. This was something he was taught at a very young age. Being accepted into the Maoin at 5 years old, Extrotun quickly learned that life was a performance. You're born, you sing, you dance, you die. And so the cycle goes until the world stops.

The feeling of a genuine smile scared him slightly, but it felt good. It felt freeing to smile with another person without being lectured on how "smiles are saved for the stage" and whatnot.

His lungs expanded with a warm breath. In his eyes, Rena seemed to actually enjoy his extravagance and maybe even share it to some degree. Her response in regards to the letter she received certainly peaked his interest. Extrotun had been relatively stuck as a prop in a show, not that he didn't enjoy it, but the life of a performer can get repetitive. Her arrival in Thanatos and her foreign allure caught his attention and made his heart race much more than a flaming hoop could.

Extrotun immediately noticed the daggers on her belt. He did not recognize the material of which the daggers were made, which caught his interest even more. He knew she was not native to Thanatos, but just what was this girl's story?

As Rena explained about the letter and the mystery scribe, Extrotun felt his heart begin to fill with excitement. An adventure? He thought to himself, eyes practically glowing with anticipation.

"Rena Goldswith," he started, "it would be my utmost pleasure to assist you. And why wait until the show ends? I opened the performance, so let another man close it!" He glanced backstage and saw Yeolin smile at him, while Bartholomew glared at them both.

Extrotun tipped his nonexistent hat, classily cursing Bartholomew. "Tell me, if this scribe does not know you, and you have no knowledge of him, how do you ever expect to locate him?"

Wrathwyrm

Business smiles and genuine smiles notwithstanding, they seemed to be getting on well.  Alot of people on this island seemed to do that.  Maybe being a performer - a Maoin, as he said - helped, or maybe this was just him.  We'll see.  In any case, Exon seemed keen to help, especially since he was apparently not needed here right now.  This showed just how little Rena knew of performance.  She had never performed anywhere, so the only acting she was really knowledgeable in was that of bluffing, telling jokes and anecdotes, and - perhaps - sarcasm.  Still, the way he'd agreed to help warmed the spirits.

"How can I say no to an answer like that, and with a dog like this?"

Feldler was aborable, and the Thanati man wasn't bad himself either.  Now, he did raise an unfortunately good point: How, indeed, was anybody suppose to know her, even if they knew to expect her soon?  She was not known - presumably - to anyone on Thanatos, and she herself had no contacts in this area, unless of course Akbar the Essyrni shopkeeper somehow had one of his shops out here...which wasn't likely.  She raised an index finger to indicate that he had put his finger on the nub of the problem.

"Exactly the reason I came in here: I did not know what my next move was yet.  The only real hope I would have of being recognized is if this man happened to notice that I look a bit my Uncle Zan, whom he'd been writing to."

By sheer coincidence, they were both brown-haired, though a different shade.  Her mother was the reason for her own hair color, while Arden Goldswith's was black.  Nevertheless, there were certain small resemblances down the lines that stood out, especially if you otherwise saw more Thanati than Serenians.

"My real plan was that I had to seek him out, as people would at least know who he IS and make it a little easier on ME."

Celegwen

Exon chuckled breathily, scratching the back of his neck. Feldler looked between the two of them, his tall ears attentive and ready for when he would be given an instruction.

"Although you do stand out as a foreigner, that is not much to go on." Exon pressed his fingers against his lips, thoughtfully staring past her.

In normal circumstances, he would not have spent more than five minutes speaking, forget listening, to a girl as attractive as Rena was. She had an elusive beauty that Extrotun only saw once before. Regardless, he typically would bed with no intention to wed.

This girl was different.

Not to say that he was looking for a romantic attachment, but rather someone who could fill the needs that come with a yearning and trapped soul. That was exactly what Rena offered.

Her particular situation was not one he had experienced before, nor one that he could just announce to the entirety of Thanatos! Or would that be helpful? Now he knew he needed to find out more.

"I don't wish to intrude, nor do I want you to regret bringing this to me," he said. "Would it at all be possible for you to truthfully tell me the contents of the letter you received? You have my word that the only ears hearing it will be yours, mine, and Feldler's." He raised his right fist and placed it over his heart.

Wrathwyrm

No, merely being foreign and somewhat-resembling someone you once knew was not exactly enough of a basis to identify one by.  Putting aside the chances of mistaken identity, it was just a shot in the dark.  This was why Rena had more-or-less figured that finding Arlius by asking people where to find him on an island nation had better chances.

Even still, being effectively lost in this country was going to make things hard, AND she had to be a bit more on guard than usual.  If anything dangerous were to happen...well...her sword - which was locked up at the inn right now - would only be a sword to her.  Spark was an actual magic sword...whose power was completely taboo here.  She couldn't use it.

As for the true contents and such, she opened the letter and handed it to him without a fuss.

"It's not deeply personal.  What it is...is cryptic, possibly in case someone were to intercept it and read it for some reason.  Despite all that, it sounded dangerously important.  My uncle was an elemental caster, a clever wizard.  I think if anyone held him in esteem here, he must've used almost no power at all, doing whatever he did that involves...whatever the Eye of Hunger is."

This was a true fact.  A wizard of great skill, never casting so much as a fireball within Thanatos would be very well-received for his restraint and...well...wisdom.

Celegwen

Exon read the letter, then read it again, and once more for good measure. The Eye of Hunger. Those words stuck in the back of his head like a thorn in a lion's paw.

His mind raced with what it could mean.

"Why does that sound so familiar?" He asked himself aloud. Exon always had a habit of thinking aloud, be it when he's alone or surrounded by people. "The Eye of Hunger," he whispered.

"For a powerful wizard, using little to no magic is a great feat," he said. "Believe me. I'm no wizard, but my performance requires the use of magic, though it is an extremely minimal amount. Be that as it may, I cannot imagine going a week without using magic of some kind. For a wizard such as your uncle, I assume refraining from magic use required great strength. For that, I sincerely admire him."

Exon pursed his lips with the slightest frown. He glanced at the stage to see four women walk out in flowing skirts and glittering tips that covered almost no skin. Sensual music started from backstage, and the women moved their hips and breasts and arms as though they were separate entities. This was always Extrotun's favorite act, yet at that moment, he paid little attention. One of the women dancing noticed and grew annoyed at his dismissal of their act.

With his mind focused on the meaning of that damned cryptic letter, Exon had little regard for anything else. What was the Eye of Hunger? If the Eye of Hunger was an 'it,' how could it die? Was, or is, the Eye of Hunger somehow a living thing, kept living through magic or spiritual energies? These were the questions that danced around Extrotun's mind, while the women danced upon the stage.

He sighed, unsure of how he could really help her. "What can you tell me of your uncle's relationship with this Arlius the Scribe?" He finally asked. "And please forgive me if this is a tender subject, but am I correct to assume your uncle and father are no longer with us? What happened to them?"

Wrathwyrm

Nothing wrong with musing alloud.  It gets the brain juices flowing.  Sadly, the two nearest to him now did not have any more of an idea on this Eye of Hunger than he did.  Rena nodded at the mention of her uncle and his inherent resourcefulness.  She became a bit more solomn, though, and for good reason.

"He was very wise.  He didn't need magic to solve a problem, even though it made it easier.  Whatever he did here, it was important enough for this man to want him back."

In the meantime, she did not mention that she could see the flow of magic when in use, that she was watching Exon protect himself and his dog.  Rena had guessed that he had some kind of defensive magic.  It wouldn't be taboo to protect yourself from the elements, only alter them by way of projection and manipulation.  At least, she was pretty sure. 

Rena had wondered upon some of the same questions that Exon had, making her own assessments on the Eye of Hunger.  She probably would have brought that up right now, but she was suddenly hit with the question of her father and uncle.  She'd known for years the fate of her father.  It was only until recently that she understood how Zan died.  She seemed to consider, for a moment, but then nodded.

"To your first question, I don't know, because I never saw my uncle beyond the age of six, and he'd been living in another town since before I was born, so I didn't even know when he had gone.  My father and uncle could've been talking about it while I played with his cat, for all I know.  So there...I can't help you.  The letter surprised the hell out of me, when I got it."

She did, then, have her eyes slowly drifting to the ground.

"The reason I haven't seen him in so long, to say nothing of my father and mother, is because they've all died, yes.  My parents died killing a small army of people who do not believe races, like elves and humans, should ever mate and have families.  My uncle was...unexpectedly blasted in his shop, when a wizard duel broke out near it.  He never knew what hit him."

It still rattled her.  She'd managed to keep her voice from breaking, but she obviously loved them very much.  Since that time, Rena had come across someone who allowed her to speak to the souls of her parents, which - while bittersweet - helped immensely.  More to the point, she'd briefly reunited with her uncle's cat - His talking familiar - better known today as Garlock The Destroyer.  That was how she learned the details of Zan's death.  Rena worked to compose herself, and then looked around a bit.

"I think we'd best move along.  This isn't the place you want to see a sad Serenian, right?  Actually...  Can I pet your dog?"

Celegwen

He nodded. "Please do! The more attention Feldler gets the happier he is." Feldler enjoyed attention almost as much as his master did.

Exon mulled over her words, then suddenly had an idea spring to mind. "Rena, how did you learn the nature of your uncle's death? Forgive me for staying at such a painful topic. You said you hadn't seen him since you were six years old. Who told you of his death? How he died?"

His mind raced as fast as his heart, for if they could find the one who gave her that information, they could be able to get some kind of connection to what and where the Eye of Hunger is.

Wrathwyrm

Excellent!  Because German Shepards - or whatever they're called in a world without Germany - are one of the all-time rock-and-roll breeds in the annuls of lovable hounds.  Rena went to one knee to give him a good pet.  The head, the back, along the rough, and - of course - behind the ears.  And during this doggy heaven - because Rena had good nails - her mood would lighten.  She still missed her parents deeply, her uncle too, but the gash wasn't as deep as it had been.  The loss of good family would always weigh heavily, though.  Always.  She looked up when Exon asked her about Zan's death.

"Well, initially, it was a messenger the from king's soldiers reporting to the next of kin.  A whole town had been destroyed.  My grandfather handled most of that.  I was still just a girl.  I didn't really get details until..."

She stopped, staring straught ahead for a moment.  Rena stood up, gears in her head turning as she suddenly realized something.  There was someone who would know.  The very one she learned the true nature of Zan's death from.  She looked at Exon now.

"It was his cat.  My uncle ran a pet shop, sold animals and familiars, who had the power of speech.  I found him more recently, and he told me about what happened."

Exon wouldn't know of Garlock, surely.  All the way out in Thanatos?  If he came here, he'd be a terror here.  Rena was trying to think of a way to get in touch with him without getting him to come to the island...

"He would know, but getting in contact with him will be hard.  He doesn't live with us, and sending a messenger bird after a cat?  Not a good plan.  Do you have any scrying people, anyone capable of tracing someone with magic and talking to them directly?"

That kind of magic was not forbidden, so...maybe?

Celegwen

The change Rena suddenly displayed was enough to give Exon enough optimism for the both of them. He smiled, biting his lower lips and thinking.

Who do I know with that kind of magic powerful enough to reach across nations? He thought to himself.

A name spring to mind, and Exon tried to hold himself together. "Rena, I know just the man," he said, desperately trying to hide his pleasure. "Now, he is a very flamboyant individual. I respect him greatly. He tends to get insulted easily, but trust me when I tell you that you will love him."

He started to walk backstage with Feldler at his heels. "Oh," he said, stopping short, "by the way, this is going to involve a little flirtation. Will that make you uncomfortable?"

Wrathwyrm

He knew someone, but there would be some 'flamboyancy', as he put it.  Now, Rena was pretty sure she knew what he meant, but she'd reserve judgement on that later.  The only way that she was going to hate him was if he were an entirely hateable little creep or something.  Not very likely around here.  They just don't DO that here.

"You know, people have been rather nice to me on this island, if only colored by that 'We don't really take to foreigners' feeling.  I'm sure he'll be fine."

A fair and reasonable attitude, to say the least.  She arched an eyebrow at the next question, though.

"With whom?"

What exactly was the proposition here?  Should she be worried?

Celegwen

"Me," Exon said, flashing a toothy smile with a wink.

He walked backstage, dodging the occasional flying cloth and cracking whip. Feldler trotted next to his master's large strides, not bothered in the least by the chaos of the behind-the-scenes of show business.

They made their way to the very back, where Exon opened a cloth.

"Extrotun!" A twig of a man said with closed eyes and a wave of his hand. He had pure white hair and thick makeup. Exon smirked, glancing at Rena. The man flopped on his chair with his legs crossed under his long robe and his arm draped over his forehead. "My flaming love." His voice was more sexual that time.

"Greetings, Frutollo," Exon said, smiling. "You are looking particularly lovely this day." Feldler barked excitedly, racing over and laying next to Frutollo's seat. "My dearest, I would like to introduce you to a friend of mine. This is Rena. She is new to Thanatos, and we have a favor to ask of you."

Frutollo looked Rena up and down, sitting up. "Tell me, my child," he sang, "what troubles you today?"

Wrathwyrm

Ah, then this man they were seeing was definitely the definiton of flamboyant that she knew.  Very well, then.  If he could take it, then she would be alright with it.  She wasn't a fan, but...to each their own, right?  Of course, when they headed backstage and came upon this man, his look didn't really give anything away.  He was a performer, much like everyone else here.  This was their cry and creed in life, and they were dedicated to it.  Maybe it was just his way of life that was flam-  Oh my, he wasn't kidding.  Not so much a culture shock, but it was worth a blink in surprise.

Still, it was down to her now, once they'd settled in.

"I'm here at the behest of a man called Arlius The Scribe, whom my uncle had met either before I was born or when I was a child.  Finding him is my main concern, but there's something else.  My uncle came to this island and did something important for this man, and he wanted him to return, but my uncle is dead.  The only way we could learn what it was about, apart from finding this one man we know nothing of, is to speak to my uncle's cat, a familiar with human speech.  Messaging him by bird won't work, and returning to the mainland to track him down could take forever.  We need to reach him another way.  Can you help?"

Celegwen

"Oh, Rena,," Frutollo tutted. "Darling, that is some strong magic you're asking of me. Especially when the purpose is to talk to a cat! Now, snakes..." he glanced at Exon's pants, "...I like."

Exon laughed, glancing at Rena with a "warned you" kind of expression on his face. "I'll tell you what, Frutollo," Exon said. "You help us out with this one, and I promise a world class massage is in store for you when we finish our mission. What do you say?"

Frutollo shifted, biting the tip of his index finger with a flirtatious grin. "Exon, you always manage to wear me down."

"Not that difficult," Exon whispered to Rena.

Frutollo lit a candle and they all joined hands around it. He took deep breaths with his eyes closed, chanting something inaudible below his breath. He stopped chanting and his eyes snapped open, their deep brown now the haunting white of the blind. The smoke coming off of the candle formed into a misty circle, displaying the image of a cat.

Feldler barked a few times at the sight of a cat, but Exon's sharp glare quickly quieted him.

Exon squeezed Rena's hand. "Frutollo's not going to be able to speak or move without breaking the connection," he told her. "You have time for three to five questions, so use them wisely."

Wrathwyrm

Holy mother of euphemisms, Batman!  However, Rena was a little more focused on Frutolla's problem with talking to a cat.  Okay, granted, it WAS kind of silly, but on the other hand...he really didn't know Garlock.  Still, yes, Exon had warned her, mostly because he knew that Frutolla would need to be convinced.  Rena smirked at the quiet comment made.  This was clearly a routine that had been danced down before.

They soon sat down in a circle and joined hands.  Rena knew nothing of rites like this, even though she had studied some Thanati practices, so she would just do as instructed.  Frutolla started to chant in a manner that - naturally - she had never seen before.  She watched, and then...the eyes opened to white, all white!  Smoke from the candles began to take shape between them all, taking the form of a cat.  Good.  It was working.

"Garlock, I need to ask you-"

The words stopped dead in her mouth as she noticed it, as Exon would as well.  The candles were all churning out black smoke now.  The cat was changing form.  If Frutolla were consciously aware of any of this, he would know that this wasn't just a cat.  It was either a demon or a spirit, or both.  The cat form changed and Feldler was likely to growl as it reshaped into a large black cat-like head of smoke, shifting and turning to regard Rena directly before eyes of red glowed.

"Yeees?"

This was something that Rena had been dreading.  He and her were almost family, but he'd become this thing, after what happened to her uncle.  Still, Rena pressed on.  Garlock would tell her what she wanted to know, IF he knew anything about it.

"Go easy on the man letting us talk.  He wasn't expecting this."

She took a breath, and then asked him.

"What do you know about Uncle Zan's trip to Thanatos?"

"I didn't go with him.  He needed someone to keep an eye on the other animals.  He told me about it, though.  Mostly, he told me about the country and the customs.  What do you want to know?"

"Did he say anything about the Eye of Hunger or Arlius the Scribe?"

"Yes, he did.  He told me...  It was a short time before his death."

"And dad's..."

Zan had been talking to him about it.  They came down to talk, and then on the way back up...the Silver Horde attacked.  Neither of them could go out to handle the situation, whatever it was.

"He wanted to get your father down to talk about it, because it was forbidden to use the kind of destructive magic you might need to destroy it, and even then...it might not work.  He figured he'd see if a master swordsman like your father could handle it.  When neither of them could return, though, the Scribe had to keep an eye on it."

The tone of Garlock's voice was starting to sound a little more warning now.

"It's an artifact, Rena.  Some kind of living thing you wear for power, but it's dangerous.  Zan said it devoured mana, life, and soul.  He left it in the keeping of this man calling himself a Scribe, but he's a Monk."

A monk!  Of course!  The man in charge of recording everything of note!  Who would Zan seek in a place where he can't use magic to combat a magical threat?  The smartest man around!  He who does nothing but read and write history and legends and all things religious!  Now, this would remind Extrotun of something.  He would've been just a boy back then, but there had been whispers and rumors about a brutal manslayer, an unknown figure of great physical and probably supernatural power.  Some said it a man, others said it was a beast or a demon.  Because of the state of the bodies, they called him - or it - the Devourer...

At any rate, contact with Garlock would break early now.  He had been verbose, and there would've been a strain.

Tags: