Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

* War's A-brewin'!

There is a civil war brewing in Connlaoth! Check out its info page here and its plotting page here!
The SotE video game is accepting crafting item submissions right here!

Also, we have a Discord chat server! Check it out. 8D

Author Topic: Of Fae Wings & Frozen Landscapes (Dragonsong)  (Read 94 times)

Offline KingTyrant

Of Fae Wings & Frozen Landscapes (Dragonsong)
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
OOC: This is a continuation of the thread To Be Found.

The nights were always the harshest when it came to the Sionad tundra... The wind seemed to blow the hardest, the snow seemed to pile the highest... It was generally unforgiving. As soon as night hit when the king and his men arrived, they took shelter in a thick patch of trees, set up a warm fire, and tethered their horses to where they couldn't run off, if anything was to spook them. Here, they were safe from the frigid wind, and could have a hot meal and drink to warm what of their bodies that the fire didn't.

Most of his men were around the fire, the ones who brought their lutes, drums, and other instruments playing old Serenian hymns to keep spirits high. He, however, was a little ways back, sipping from his cup of tea with his eyes trained on the glowing embers of the fire. He looked over, between the frozen trunks of the trees out at the rolling hills of snow and the tundra itself, but with how foggy it was from the snowfall, all he could see was white. It had its own beauty, in a way, with how bleak it was.

He gave a sigh... None of his men were facing any illnesses or after-effects of the cold, but their journey through this expanse was somewhat early. They still had a day's travel to Hyoite, and they had to cross the whole tundra to get there. That was where the demon said he was heading, back at the Arcane Catacombs, where Anoria's wings were robbed from her yet again. A demon, with an artifact of that power. The thought of what could happen was bone-chilling.

As his mind shifted to Anoria, he looked over in her direction with a frown. She was an interesting character... Very hard to get along with. Still, he had to put himself in her place. What if he had lost such a vital piece of himself? What if he had lost Qiana? He'd probably be just as bitter, if not more. Many in his service had questioned why he was helping somebody so ungrateful for everything that he was doing. Well, the answer was quite simple, really. Anoria was a being who had her entire existence ripped apart by Serenians. In a way, this was him giving back.

"Still prefer to drink that tasteless shlock over a fine ale, eh?" A big-bellied, bearded man said, stumbling over to him with a full tankard of the stuff. From the slur in his voice, it was safe to say that he was pretty drunk, and his eyes had that distinctive glaze that most drunken bastards tended to have. Still, he couldn't fret the soldier for having a good time. He'd regret it in the morning, though. "Yes... I prefer drinks that don't leave me a weak-legged mess. Besides, I have to lead you boys come sunrise." He explained in a teasing fashion.

Offline DragonSong

Re: Of Fae Wings & Frozen Landscapes (Dragonsong)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »
Despite her best efforts to keep to herself, Anoria found herself beset by the occasional rather tipsy soldier who slurred out a question or an insult- or perhaps they were compliments, she really wasn't sure- before swaying their way back to their companions.

She started to gather that it was becoming a dare among the men: who was brace enough to approach the frigid Fey woman, how much coin if they actually spoke to her.

Unwilling to indulge the ridiculousness any longer, she stood and approached the king. "Where do you sleep?" she demanded without preamble. "I believe I plan to retire."

Offline KingTyrant

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
OOC: Sorry for the long wait. The drama seems to never end in my life.

"Well, lass, you could always join me in my tent! I'm sure you won't regret it..." The drunken soldier slurred out at her, his body swaying as if he'd fall over at any second. Viktor sighed, rolling his eyes as he patted the man on the shoulder. "Go and retire in your tent alone. That's an order." He told him sternly. The man hiccuped, stumbling away towards the others, their tents set up close by.

Viktor took a moment to watch him leave before looking towards Anoria. "Over there." He answered simply, gesturing towards his own tent, which was somewhat larger than the others that his men occupied. It was set a good distance away, near a rocky overlook where the treeline seemed to end and begin again, leaving the area open to the frigid wind, with the tent acting as a barrier. "I think you'll find that it's far enough away so their noise won't bother you."

He looked back out towards the whiteness of the rest of the tundra, his arms crossing over his chest as he imagined the harsh cold out there as opposed to the safety of the trees, or near the fire. "Long way to go until we reach Hyoite... Do you Fae have some sort of resistance to the cold that I don't know about?" He mused. Serendipity was full of lush life. It was green. This tundra had none of that life, and the temperature of death itself. He hoped she was prepared.

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
Anoria curled her lip at the drunken soldier but didn't deign to answer him. Her eyes flickered to the king's tent and she nodded, then glanced sidelong at him when he asked his question.

"I suppose we do, in a sense. We are not such fragile things as you mortals- unless the magic that birthed us is in direct opposition to cold, I would imagine my kind would feel minimal ill effect." She shrugged. "I've never been inordinately bothered by temperature, at least."

Offline KingTyrant

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:59:39 PM »
"Good... Then I have little to worry about." He said, eyes remaining focused on the journey to follow. He tried to block the thoughts from his mind, but he couldn't help thinking of the inhabitants of the land before them. Few and far between they were, with settlements near the hot springs which scarcely dotted the land here and there. Those that lived near the springs weren't what bothered him, though.

His mind of course wandered to the Sionad trolls... Barbaric, green-skinned, apelike beings who raped and pillaged without remorse... Most hated their kind, and they hated most of everyone who weren't trolls themselves. Somewhere, he hoped he could navigate where there would be none, simply to avoid conflict. This was due to the knowledge of how hard it was to kill a troll, let alone an entire tribe. It'd be easier if they had an army, but this simply wasn't the case.

"Have you ever been to the tundra before now?" He asked her, raising a brow in her direction.

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
Anoria, already turning toward the tent, paused and glanced back over her shoulder. "Once." She shrugged. "Many summers ago now. I doubt much would have remained unchanged." She seemed to consider that statement a moment, then shrugged again. "Although I suppose one never knows- the tundra has a sort of stasis about it quite unlike any place I've ever been, save perhaps the Faerie Realm."

Offline KingTyrant

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
At her response, he raised his brows in surprise. He didn't expect a being like her to have gone far from her homeland, let alone to a place like this. Any experience in the harshest lands known to man was worth something. It made more of a difference than one going in completely unprepared.

"Let us hope the trolls spare us trouble, eh?" He smirked, passing by her as he made his way to the tent as well. "One thing that never changes about this tundra, Anoria... The trolls rule the tundra. At least the more lifeless areas of it. Though, nowadays, the trolls go wherever they please. And gods' help those who get in their way. I would know. I was one of them." He remembered his days as a soldier and general, driving the barbaric monsters from Serendipity, and even rescuing his dear mother from the clutches of Rk'stl, the warchief himself.

They were brutal... No tactics, just shock and awe. Overwhelm, and terrify. They weren't smart, but they were certainly strong. A run-in with one would be a hassle. With many, let alone Rk'stl himself, was a living nightmare. He'd never want to subject her, or these young men to Rk'stl's wrath.

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
The faerie smiled coldly. "I appreciate the...concern of your warning," she said slowly. "But I highly doubt it will be relevant."

She'd dealt with trolls before. True, then she'd had her wings and so full access to her powers, but she doubted it would prove too much trouble.

Tags: