Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New People, New Home, New Life

Started by PumpkinSwift, October 24, 2017, 07:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

Legs moved autonomously through the snow laden brush. The harsh conditions tested utmost limits of the man's body and willpower. He moved only subconsciously, body responding without thought. The frosted iron of his outer shell groaning in protest as he did so. As he pressed on, it mattered less and less to the man whether or not he found these two. He craved what any sane human would in this condition, to be far from the bitter chill wracking his body.

Branches broke as the man lumbered over to the two women laying in the snow. There was some relief here at least, knowing the chase was over. Wearily, he reached for the bladed mace at his side. He pointed it at his quarry with what strength he could conjure.

"It's... over. Don't... make this... Make this harder than it has to be..." he said, unable to summon the air to say any more.

PumpkinSwift

Maria opened her mouth, then shut it again. The man didn't seem like he was in any position to fight, but appearances hardly ever bore reliable fruit. Addison seemed uneasy, ready to sprint off at a moment's notice.

"Please don't make me do this." Maria said, raising her hands in defense, hoping to bluff away any further resistance

Kalak8538

The expression on the hunter's face was harsh. Everything this girl had just put him through utterly destroyed any patience he still possessed. Her continued persistence was actually insulting at this point.

The man began moving forward, spiting the exhaustion in his muscles. One after another his feet slid through the snow. They never once left the ground. He raised the mace up with a shakey hand.

"If you want... You... Y-You can..."

The man took a breath. His mace arm dropped a bit.

"You can d-die here... I'll be... paid... either..."

The mercenary leaned on his tower shield, fatigue finally catching up to him. His hand dropped to his side, mace still firmly clenched in it.

"...way."

PumpkinSwift

Maria scrunched her brow, trying to gauge the man's strength properly. He didn't seem in any position to fight, but it wasn't like Maria was holding up to much better. Her entire body ached, and she felt like her limbs would freeze and fall off any moment.

"You know I can't go quietly. I've come much too far for that." Maria responded. "Please, don't make me hurt you."

Maria dipped into the arcane, ready to fight at a moment's notice.

Kalak8538

This resilience was almost something to admire. Had the man been in better humor, maybe he would have respected this. However, he was in no mood for any more of the creature's defiance. Anger was quickly taking him, lighting a fire within that would grant him just enough strength.

"Hurt me? You're in no position!"

The warrior regained his footing, and advanced until he nearly stood over the girl. With mace held high once again, he cried out.

"Let's see how well you can cast when your hands are broken!"

PumpkinSwift

Oh shit oh shit oh shit!

Maria was surprised with the expediency with which man had recovered. In her surprise, she grappled with the energy around her and formed two chunks of ice. She hurled one at each side of his head.

Kalak8538

The twin chunks of ice were drawn into the enchanted shield like iron to a magnet. Normally this would be no problem for the man, who was strong enough to retain his posture against the kick this process produced. However, he was on his last legs, his second wind ending here.

The hunter stumbled backwards. The fall was like that of a tree, ground shaking as the great iron mass impacted with it. The man lay defeated, incapacitated under the same cold steel that previously protected his body.

PumpkinSwift

Both women were stunned. Even in his beaten state, the man was still intimidating. His sudden collapse had taken both of them aback. Maria made her way back to her feet, and turned to Addison.

Addison, ever the diplomat, spoke out to their pursuer.

"Sir? Are you ok?" She cautiously spoke, trembling.

Kalak8538

The man was visibly conscious as he lay on the cold earth, yet he was still. His outburst had sapped every last bit of strength from his muscles. For the time being, he was essentially paralyzed. His eyes were trained upwards, watching flakes of snow float gently downwards onto his face. The silent calm he had been begrudgingly feeling was interrupted by the sounds of shifting movement on the snow and brush. The mercenary cursed himself, for he was powerless to persue the women any longer.

In response to the question, there were naught but audible growls and groans coming from the man. Not a single intelligible word was made, but the aggravation and exhaustion was blatantly apparent.

PumpkinSwift

"He's still conscious." Addison informed Maria.

Maria stepped forward, still cautious, and put a foot down onto the shield, firmly planting its surface into the snow.

"What are we going to do now?" Addison questioned. "Are we going to leave him here?"

Maria turned to her companion, deep in thought.

"We need to disarm him first. Maybe bind him. I'm not too sure." Maria answered absentmindedly.

"I'll get some rope."

The two women went about making their former adversary their prisoner, Maria's eye never leaving the man.

Kalak8538

The entire process was extremely demeaning, but there was nothing the man could realistically do to resist. At this point he lacked even the energy to be frustrated at his situation. His head hung limply downwards at the end of his neck. His blurred vision was only on the snow he sat upon.

All that could be done here was wait. The fatigue was slowly claiming him. In time, his strength would return.

PumpkinSwift

"What now?" Addison asked.

Th pair had gone through the process of restraining the man. His hands were tied behind his back, legs bound together at his knees and heels. Addison had taken his shield and mace, for fear of him finding a way out of their binds.

Now, the pair was exhausted, and the night had ended, the sun now peaking in over the tips of the trees. They had brought meager supplies with them, much of which was lost during the chase.

"I'm not sure." Maria responded, truthfully. "I'm hungry, though. Do we have any food?"

Addison shook her head. "I dropped it during the chas e." Addison crossed her arms across her chest, rubbing her shoulders for warmth. "I wish we could get a fire going. It's freezing out here."

"I can start one. I'll just need some firewood."

Addison wordlessly set about gathering firewood, stacking it in a small pile on the center of the clearing.

In a few minutes, they had started a small fire, and Maria had set out to find some wildlife for them to eat. Addison sat back at camp, watching the man's belongings. Her eyes were weary, and her stomach empty, and soon she found herself struggling to stay awake.

Maria returned a half hour later, a small bird in tow. She set about cooking it. She turned to say something to Addison, but stopped once she noticed her head dropping and snapping back up.

"You can go to sleep, if you need to. I'll keep watch."

Addison nodded silently, and curled up next to the fire under the small blankets they had brought with them, and fell to sleep. Maria turned back to the fire, idly poking it with a stick, making sure to food didn't burn, and casting an occasional glance over to the hunk of metal they had restrained.

Kalak8538

Hour after awkward hour passed, with the man fading in and out of consciousness in the cold winter air. The fire was small. It did little to protect the metal-clad warrior from the harsh surrounding elements. Still he persisted, his stubbornness knowing no limits.

Focused on the fire to keep himself awake, he spoke to break the icy silence.

"I wondered why you did not just kill me. Now I know you mean to let it happen slowly..."

PumpkinSwift

Maria jumped at the man's unexpected jaunt. She turned to him, swift to deny the accusation.

"I was not. I was trying to help you, you ungrateful slug." Her words were laced with venom, her patience running thin.

Kalak8538

"Help me... Why?" the man asked, voice wavering from the onset of chill.

"I have been hunting you, to bring you back kicking and screaming back to those who will probably see you executed for... whatever power THIS is." he gestured to Maria's new and monstrous form the best he could with his hands bound behind himself.

"What's the point of keeping me alive?"

PumpkinSwift

Maria opened her mouth, and then froze, realizing that she had no logical reason to help this man. He was right; it would be more simple the just kill him and be done with it, but the thought had never crossed her mind.

It made sense that this man would, however. He was a jaded warrior, someone who had been in and out of combat and chases for years now (At least, that was the impression Maria got). Maria was just a teenage girl looking for a home.

"Call it an act of mercy. Besides, my 'help' has been taking your stuff and tying you up, so." Maria chuckled. "You know."

Kalak8538

"So, what's your plan for me, then?" the man asked.

The man shuffled around for comfort in his chilled armor. His stoic glare never left Maria, as he staved off his tired feeling.

PumpkinSwift

"I guess we'll just drop you off somewhere. Somewhere where you won't be able to hurt us."

Maria thought for a second.

What would Addison do? She wanted to go back to her village, but as long as she stayed there, he could find her. What would she do?

Maria shook off the thought, and turned back to the man. "We're keeping your stuff, by the way."

Kalak8538

"I've been doing this a long time, princess." the man said, adjusting himself a bit.

He jostled around, renewed energy allowing him to move his legs in a more agreeable position. Slowly but surely he began to lift his heavy body off of the frigid ground. His eyes focused on the creature before him, eyes filled with determined vigor.

"There's no where either of you can go that I will not find you..."

PumpkinSwift

Whatever Maria was going to say died in her mouth. Stupidly, she let her weakness show through, and the fear clearly written on face was absorbed by the man. He didn't seem to enjoy it, as much as was affirmed by it. He knew he was going to get his prey.

Maria stopped that train of thought. She had the man at an advantage. He had no weapons, no magic stopping shield, and was restrained. What's more, Addison was asleep, which meant Maria didn't have to hold back.

"You might want to rethink your position." Maria began, and slowly reached up to her blindfold. The man visible stiffened in response. "If this is the only way to stop you, I have no qualms about doing it."

Her demeanor was calm, but on the inside she was barely stopping herself from shaking. She was putting all her eggs into one basket, hoping that he didn't call her bluff.

Tags: