Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Aetherfall: Steampunk Powers Roleplay

Started by NotSarcastic, December 06, 2017, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSarcastic

Right, I've read the free trial of "The Superlatives" choice-based text adventure by Choice of Games LLC. Details here:

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/the-superlatives-aetherfall-lead-a-superpowered-team-to-save-victorian-london/31572. You can download on ya phone or on Steam.

It's set in Victorian London, and the idea is that your character is a "Superlative", a human (or not!) with extraordinary abilities due to an excess of "Aether", which is the energy which exists within all living things as a "core", but Superlatives have an excess of it. This allows them to channel this energy into their abilities but must be careful to not use any of their core aether as it can weaken them, make them lose their powers or even kill them.

No, it's not magic, but it reminds me of it in a weird way, Aether acts as "mana" pretty much and the way in which abilities are used and aether is applied feels slightly fantastical to me.

The world is also populated by various aliens such as Martians, Venusians, Neptunians, etc (Basically from any planet or moon in the Solar System you can think of) which have many different traits and in some cases, genders. Meaning you can be whatever you want! Since I've only read the free content, I don't know much about the lore, which leaves us to make it what we want it to be! (I would recommend very much at least reading the free stuff, it's great)

What your powers are, are up to you! All Superlatives can fly, whether it's through their extraplanetary heritage (Which you can give your character!), powers, race or whacky inventions.

For example, the three options you have at the start of the game is someone with Jovian ancestry who can manipulate gravity, attack with hard light assaults and can fly due to his heritage.

A preternatural (someone born with unexplained powers) who can manipulate the wind and weather, enabling them to attack with ice and lightning from their fingertips.

Or an eccentric inventor who uses their aetheric energy to power all manner of whacky contraptions, including some wings.

You meet another character, who's aether is channeled into her sword which grants her abilities, so weapons are also an option.

I think the steampunk setting with the idea of aether being a consumable resource for abilities would be a really cool idea for a roleplay! There are also "Contraptions", which are clockwork automatons, powered by aether (which, if taken or the container destroyed, will effectively make them into scrap metal) which are used either as enemies, butlers, assistants, etc, ranging in sophistication and intelligence.
The world also has loads of weird technology, fitting with the steampunk aspect.

So now you know some lore (Which was explained in only four short chapters!) Let me know if you think flying around a city, in whichever way you like, as a villain or hero, or somewhere in between, as a human or otherwise, with any ability you can think of (it seems characters can sorta have two, but they relate in some way and complement each other), In a steampunk setting, then let me know and I'll make a thread

The world is our oyster :) Thank you! Ask any questions if you're confused :)

Soz for la long post

Tags: