Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out in the World... (Dragonsong)

Started by Wrathwyrm, December 10, 2017, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

He had no idea what sort of capabilities that Puck here had, apart from shapeshifting.  There was no objection to the sudden perching on his shoulder, but Michelo gave the bird a confused look.

"That's all well and good, but...weren't you about to tell me some plan about getting the kind of money needed for travel overseas or something?"

He did say that, yes.  Mind you, both of their curiosities could be satisfied if his plan could actually involve taking action in Altas Verde, as well.  I mean, who's to say?  He didn't even give 'im a hint about what he had in mind.

DragonSong

The swallow ruffled his feathers- it gave the distinct impression of a shrug. "I could, but I'm not sure what exactly you're willing to do," he pointed out, cocking his head to the side.

Wrathwyrm

The young fox sighed as the now-a-bird Puck gave him a sort of non-committal response, giving him nothing to go on at all.  He really didn't need advice that was quizzical and vague.  He needed a clear plan, if the guy really thought he had a better idea on what to do with his life.

"Well, I can work and I can steal.  I learned alot from my stepfather, and I stole tribute for Lord Blackthorn a number of times.  So, neither of those things are strangers to me."

That said, he'd never be quite like the goblin that he met that night, the goblin who was really a goblin and not a kid transformed.  The notorious Gary Blight had been to Hylop during the Midnight Harvest, and he was definitely much better at his trade.

DragonSong

"Theft is always easiest," Puck noted casually. "What sort of work do you do?"

Wrathwyrm

He actually smiled at the thought of a bit of harmless thievery.  Here-and-there stuff wouldn't be too much a burden on folks, not for his needs, so he actually wanted to see how well he could do, out in the field.  As for the other things...

"The man who raised me taught me the ways of blacksmithing, so I can use a forge very well.  I know metal, which is handy since I use lightning now.  I know other things a boy in a town should, as well.  You know, a bit of cooking, cleaning, trading - all that stuff."

All in all, a pretty decent Serenian boy...until he stopped being a Serenian.

DragonSong

Puck screwed up his face in distaste- or would have, if a swallow could pull off such an expression. "I'd prefer to steer clear of any chance of being near iron, but ultimately it's up to you." He shrugged and hopped around to the boy's other shoulder.

"Well, you should at least be able to get yourself a bed for the night wherever you end up. That's a useful skill, there. Trust me."

Wrathwyrm

"Hey, if push comes to shove, I could even make a burrow."

There was a sudden crackly POOF!, and the bird was now sitting on the haunches of a white fox.  He began to trot along at a quickened pace.  It was easier to use this form, smaller and much more managable.  How did he get use to those already?  Or...RE-get-use-to-it?  Maybe it was just always in his nature, as it seemed.  That being the case, there was now something on his mind as they moved towards the nearest town, before finding ways to make the gold he really needed for travel.

"Say, Puck?  Right when I was transforming - back at the Harvest - I heard a woman's voice.  Do you think it could've been my real mother?  I felt like someone was trying to reach out, then.  I'm kind of eager to learn, but at the same time...wary.  I don't know why."

Some kind of instinct at work, for the last part.  As for the first part, who knows?

DragonSong

Puck chirped and hopped, adjusting his stance as he tried to balance himself on the fox's back.

He gave a little ruffle of his feathers at the question, an avian shrug. "I'm afraid I couldn't tell you, lad. You're...not exactly Fae. I don't know much about your people."

Wrathwyrm

"Oh well.  I guess it'll come up later, at some point."

He was letting it go for now, as there were more immediate concerns.  Moving as they were, it was a short-ish time before the two of them came upon a town.  Well...it was farmland first, stretching forth before the actual town area that was to be further in.  Much like his own hometown, it would be a case of farmers supporting the area, although this place was more a trading hub than just the simple town of...  Well, his raising, rather than his birth.

The point was that Michelo was giving the actual farms a miss for hijinx, on account of all the tales he'd heard about foxes and henhouses.  It was clear that the two did not go together, on the grounds that most Serenian farmers were quite protective of them.  In fact, more than a few had actual protections - wards and magic - which could keep out the riff-raff.  He wasn't the riff-raff, but he also wasn't willing to cause trouble there.  Not when he had other plans in mind.

"If you want to talk about stealing, taking it hard-working farmers and whatnot is pretty cheap.  A trader or a fat noble would do nicely.  Lemme know if you spot any once we reach town.  I need to concentrate on looking mostly harmless and adorable."

Tags: