Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Back here again {DragonSong}

Started by Lowen Thorn, March 18, 2018, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@DragonSong

The young man stepped through the forest at a moderate pace, taking in the sights around him with weary eyes. It had been several years since he left his adopted home of La'marri, yet he still finds himself checking in every so often to see how old acquaintances are doing, and if anything has changed. And then, this forest.

This forest to think, this forest to collect. It never fails. After a visit to La'marri, he always finds himself walking aimless in this forest, pondering his next move, before ultimately deciding (or not deciding) his next destination.

Eyeing a nearby tree, he approaches it before slumping down to the ground - using the tree as support while he sits. Snack time. He removes an apple from his travel bag and takes a bite  - the juice slipping down his chin as he does so. Almost bashfully, he wipes the juice off his face as if someone was watching him.

I may need to look for more work soon, he thought. I could really go for something a little more appetizing.

DragonSong

Visiting Tobin was always nostalgic. Sometimes Hana wished she could stay longer, but the wanderlust was too strong. She'd managed a whole week at the little cabin this time though, before the call of the world outside pulled her back to the open road.

Well. Not exactly open. She still had to get through the Niahi. Head to La'marri? Or back toward Cerenis? the kitsune wondered to herself as she picked her way over the forest floor, nearly silent despite her massive paws.

But there was only so stealthy a massive white fox with three tails could be; though she was quiet, it was hard to miss such a figure weaving through the trees. 

Lowen Thorn

Lowen was about to take another bite out of his apple when something white flashed into his peripheral. At least, he thought something had passed over him. Traveling for some time now, the man's mind was tired and it wouldn't surprise him in the slightest if he imagined it. Hell, he'll even hear a voice in his head a time or two on a long day.

Yet he normally doesn't encounter anything in the Niahi, apart from the usual, that alerts him in this sense. He was not alone.

Without thinking, he stuffed the apple into his mouth - holding it in place with his teeth, stood up, and grasped the dagger at his hip. "Is someone there?" he mumbled through the fruit, hardly audible.

DragonSong

Hana's paws skidded to a stop and she looked back over her shoulder, scenting the air.

Oh. Huh. A human. She hadn't noticed him. Odd.

With a soft huff she allowed her fox form to melt away into her half-way form, striding back toward the voice with an easy grace and confidence, though her hackles were raised just slightly in case something went wrong.

"Odd seeing a traveler in this neck of the woods," she noted blithely as she peeked around from behind a tree.

Lowen Thorn

Hearing the voice threw off his guard, causing him to spit out his apple and choke up a bit.

Quite the brave warrior you are, Lowen.

After regaining his composure, he peered at the woman for a few moments. He had never seen the likes of her, that he knew of, or her kind for that matter. She was definitely a woman, that much he was sure of. But she was more than just that, she was mixed with some sort of animal. A Fox? he thought to himself, She doesn't seem to be of any trouble.

He relaxed his hand, removing his hold from his weapon. "Hello there," he greeted her, his lips curling into a small smile as he looked upon the woman in curiosity. "Are you some sort of Goddess?"

DragonSong

She laughed brightly, her tails swishing back and forth behind her, and some of the tension bled from her body. "Well, aren't you a flatterer," she laughed, tossing her hair and cocking a hip as she looked the stranger up and down.

After a moment of consideration, small smile I'm place the whole time, she replied, "No, I'm no goddess, sir. Just a traveler. Like yourself, I imagine."

Lowen Thorn

He grinned sheepishly and chuckled at her response.

That's a relief. I wouldn't know what to say to her if she actually was a goddess. I've never been in the presence of one before.

"I do tend to travel a bit", he nodded in agreement. "Destination is currently unknown, but hopefully somewhere where I can find a decent meal. But where are my manners? My name is Lowen Thorn, pleasure to meet you ma'am. What is yours?"

DragonSong

"Hanako." She nodded politely with a small smile. "Just Hana, if you like."

She bit her lip, considering. It wasn't exactly good sense to bring random strangers home, but... Well, he had a trustworthy sort of air about him. And a tinge of mystery that tugged at her curious streak.

"If you're hungry, I know somewhere you can get a hot meal and a place to rest," she offered, tilting her head to the side.

Lowen Thorn

Hot Meal. Rest.

His face said it all after hearing the woman's invitation. He hadn't had an actual meal in as long as he could remember, and good rest never seemed a viable option unless he didn't mind starving. He may have been drooling a bit at the thought!

He wiped at his face just in case.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I don't mean to intrude, or to cause you any trouble. Actually--"

He cut off, remembering his apple that fell to the ground earlier. He hastily picked it up, dusted it off, and showed it to her almost as if it was some sort of prized possession. "I have this apple! Would you like some?"

DragonSong

Hana laughed. She couldn't help it. Her eyes crinkled kindly at the corners and she shook her head. "That's quite alright. And yes, I'm sure, you can come with me."

Well, Tobin would be happy to see her again. Even if she had just left.

"Come on, it's this way." She nodded back over her shoulder and turned to start off into the trees, shifting into her fox form as she did.

Lowen Thorn

He didn't have chance to thank her before her transformation. His eyes widened at the sudden shift, but took it with a grain of salt. Well. I have seen stranger things, he thought. But that doesn't make it any less amazing.

With a warm smile, Lowen nodded and tossed the half-eaten apple back into his travel bag, following her. He wasn't accustomed to relying on the kindness of strangers, and whereas he had his doubts, he felt like he could trust this Hana woman.

Wait, the voice in his head abruptly second-guessed. Is she bringing me to some place where she can eat me? Fox Food? Am I the hot meal? Why would someone I do not know be so willing to help me?

He shook his head to himself. No, fool. Get out of your own head for once and accept the hospitality of this wonderful woman.

Shrugging off his remaining doubts, he spoke from behind her. "Thank you, Ms. Hanako."

DragonSong

The massive fox snorted in amusement and glanced back at him over her shoulder. Crimson eyes glinted and she huffed with a little shake of her head. "Really, just Hana is fine," she repeated, though her tone was warm enough.

She picked up the pace a bit, bounding deeper into the forest. "Keep up! It's not too far."

Lowen Thorn

His grin turned into a slight chuckle. "Yes ma'am," he responded. "Thank you kindly Hana."

He continued to follow her, keeping up with her great pace. He was impressively fast and agile for a human, though that was one of his only strengths - and his primary skill for survival. Without proper combat training, it pays to be fast while out in the field. Of course, she could have been showing restraint for his sake.

He kept his gaze directed at her as he continued along her path, with an occasional glance around him to view his surroundings. Though the man traveled through this forest time and time again, he found himself unfamiliar to the area she was leading him.

DragonSong

It really wasn't all that far to Tobin's cottage, and soon enough they were entering the clearing when the little building rested.

She gave a soft yip to alert the old man to her presence, then shifted back into her hybrid form and turned back to look at her new companion. "How you doing there?"

Lowen Thorn

Lowen kept his composure, but was a little more out of breath than he wanted to admit.

His stomach thundered a long, awkward growl.

"F-Fine," he assured her with a grin on his face, somewhat embarrassed. He averted his gaze to the little building and let his eyes rest upon it for several moments. "Nice place. Is this your home, Hana?"

DragonSong

She chuckled a bit and moved forward to take his arm and lead him toward the house. "It used to be. I grew up here."

She still didn't entirely trust this man- he was more or less a stranger- but she got no dangerous feeling from him. He seemed just like any average traveler.

"My father lives here. Tobin!" She frowned when the old man still didn't appear at the door, scowling and grumbling to herself. "Oi! C'mon, Tobin, I'm back, open up."

Lowen Thorn

His feet moved forward as she guided him toward the door.

"You call your father Tobin?" he asked curiously. "No judgement, it's just seems... different. I was under the impression most folk call their parents Mother and Father, or other names of that nature."

He turned his attention to the door, unconsciously grasping the ring on the necklace that hung around his neck. "Do you think he's okay?"

'Don't worry about the old man, Lowen. Just get in there and feast. I don't want to starve down here!' a voice spoke inside, though it was too distant in the pool of Lowen's thoughts for him to truly hear it.

DragonSong

Hana huffed and moved to knock sharply on the door. "Well, he's not my real father. That's just what I call him when people asked. He raised me, but I've always just called him- Tobin!"

"What, what?" The old hermit flung the door open and glowered at her. "Weren't you just here, ya little terror?" Ruddy cheeked, with glinting blue eyes, he looked from his foster daughter to her guest. "Who the hell is this then?"

The kitsune beamed and bounced forward to kiss his cheek. "Hello to you, too. Tobin, this is Lowen." She gestured between the two.

Lowen Thorn

Not her real father, just the one who raised her. Sounds like we have a few things in common.

His attention was quickly taken from Hana and to the entrance as the door swung open. He couldn't help but snicker at the old hermit calling Hana 'little terror', though he tried to hide it.

He extended his hand to Hana's foster parent to offer a formal handshake. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Tobin! Your daughter has been very kind to me, you raised an outstanding young woman!"

His stomach roared once more.

This feels awkard.

DragonSong

Tobin glowered, but took the man's offered hand with a roll of his eyes. "Alright then, c'mon the both of ya. Get inside before you let the forest critters in."

He ushered them both through the door and Hana shot Lowen a friendly smile. She sniffed the air. "Smells like a stew's in."

"Aye, and I suppose you'll be wanting some of it?" Tobin huffed at her, but bustled away toward the little hearth where a small stew pot hung suspended over the flames.

Tags: