Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ashes From The Sky (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, June 14, 2018, 01:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Val nodded, a smile creeping onto his face. Wyrdwood was a place of marvel and wonder, one couldn't walk down a hallway without encountering something new and strange - in this particular case, literally. Perhaps it was irresponsible of him, but he couldn't stay mad about whatever happened with the stone.

He crouched down and gave the floor a curious look. "I wonder what it was. Some sort of a transmutation spell? Or maybe-"

He heard footsteps. He quickly rose, taking a step back - he didn't want to be blamed for ruining the floor.

DragonSong

Brahgo stiffened slightly when he heard the approaching steps, and old habit he'd never quite been able to train himself out of.

He relaxed slightly when the owner of those steps turned out to be a rather harried-looking young woman hurrying down the hall, in such a rush she didn't seem to notice them until she'd almost trod in the pool of slick oiliness.

"Oh!" She pulled up short and finally seemed to notice other people in the hall. Her face when rather red and she ducked her eyes. "Um, pardon, I didn't mean to--"

A yowl behind her cut her off, and the most strangely colored cat Brahgo had ever seen came bounding around the corner, hurrying up to her side to twine around her legs.

quaggan

"I'm sorry about that" he began, turning to the girl with an apologetic expression. Perhaps it would be smarter to just pretend he had nothing to do with it, but that would be dishonest. "I think it's my fault. Something happened to this stone when I stepped on it. Are you all right?"

A sound drew his attention. He looked down, his gaze instantly drawn to the colourful cat snuggling up to the girl's leg. He couldn't help but smile - he loved animals. Was it her familiar?

DragonSong

"Oh, I'm fine!" The girl smiled brightly as she looked between them. She quickly glanced away again though, biting her lip. "I'm afraid I'm running a bit late, though-- do either of you happen to know how to get to the lecture hall with, um...Sundered Shadows?"

Brahgo snorted. "Well, that's convenient."

quaggan

Convenient? That wasn't the word Val would have chosen - it would be convenient if she was looking for a place they knew, or if she knew where the hall was located. But perhaps the convenience was in finding another companion to explore Wyrdwood.

She was looking at them, her eyes expectant, and he felt bad about having to explain the situation. "Well, we don't know where it is, either. We're just looking for this hall, just like you. I mean, I was looking - Brahgo was just kind enough to help me out." That wasn't very eloquent. His old tutor wouldn't be pleased.

DragonSong

"Hey." Brahgo held his hand out, and the girl hesitated a moment, but then she took it with a smile. "I mean, we're not exactly sure where we're going, but at least we'll all be lost together."

She laughed quietly and nodded. "Yeah, I s'pose that's true. My name is Laeni, by the way. Nice to meet you."

quaggan

"It's nice to meet you too" he smiled. "I'm Valerain Torverath." He waited for Brahgo to complete the introductions while his eyes strayed to the cat. It was very lovely. Of course, since this was Wyrdwood, questions immediately sprang to his mind. Was the cat magical? Was it a classmate turned into an animal? How far should he keep at in order to prevent any harm from coming to it? He probably should ask the last question to one of the researchers instead.

DragonSong

The cat huffed and leaned against his mistress's leg as she introduced herself, prompting her to add, "Oh, this is Rey. My, ah..."

She glanced down at the animal. Friend? Guardian? Companion? "...Familiar?"

quaggan

Val smiled at Rey. She looked so fluffy, but also demanding - perhaps it was to be expected of cats. They had a perfectly accurate view that they were the emperors of the universe, and every other form of life were to be their food or servants. He folded his arms in front of him to combat the urge to reach down.

"I never met someone with a familiar before..." he mused. "How long do you and Rey have known each other?" Did they get acquainted after coming to Serendipity? He saw a lot of students here with familiars - cats, owls, even some mythical creatures he couldn't identify. Did the academy had a way of supplying students with familiars?

DragonSong

"Oh, since I was little." Laeni smiled and stroked the cat's head. He purred, closing his eyes and butting up against her hand.  She flushed abruptly and glanced up at the other two students. "ah, sorry. Bit of a long story, and I think we're all rather late?"

quaggan

Val quickly turned his head away as Laeni blushed. He felt as if he intruded on an intimate, private moment. This must have been some kind of a cultural dissonance - he witnessed nothing of the sort at home. He would have to remember it for the future.

"Late?" he blinked. He wasn't surprised - his curse had a way of working together with time to conspire against him. But all the windows in this hallway were used for practice by illusionists and enchanters, displaying different landscapes illuminated by various celestial bodies. They couldn't be used for timekeeping - did she have some device for that? Or just a very good sense of the passage of time?

DragonSong

"Ah!" Brahgo glanced up, took note of the angle of sunlight through the window, and cursed. "She's right. Fuck. C'mon, let's get moving." He flashed both newer students a smile, striding off down the hall.

Laeni watched him go with a raised eyebrow. "Well...I suppose we follow?"

quaggan

Val was impressed that someone could have figured out a method to tell the time despite the unreliable light. He would follow Brahgo - it wasn't like he had any better idea to orient himself.

He tried making conversation with Laeni. "So, what are you studying here?" he asked, glad that their student status provided him with a quick way to start a talk.

DragonSong

Rey slunk ahead of them down the corridor, sniffing and flicking his tail from side to side. Keeping an eye on him, Laeni replied absently, "Life magic, mostly. I mean, healing and stuff like that..."

quaggan

"That sounds like an amazing field to study" he confessed. Val wanted to learn healing magic here at Wyrdwood, but was discouraged from it. The teachers pointed out that it was the worst choice he could make, considering that his curse ruined everything he touched, and any attempt at cure could turn out to be worse than the disease.

"Most of my experiences with life magic has been as the target, rather than the executioner" he confessed. "There is so much that could be improved and achieved with life magic. One of my ancestors was very interested in the subject - she's created such beautiful gardens..."

DragonSong

"I imagine." Laeni grinned, obviously more willing to open up if they were talking about this particular field. "I'm from the jungles down south, actually. Lots of people use life magic down their, more than you'd think. Some of the oasises are almost entirely created by it."

Brahgo didn't speak, but he tilted his head slightly as he listened to their conversation, leading them on.

quaggan

Val smiled. He cast a glance at Brahgo, but the other student seemed to be comfortable just listening to them talk. He turned back to Laeni then, eager to carry on their conversation.

"Do you have any plans about what to do after your education is complete?" he asked. "Perhaps go to Essyrn and see if you can make any plants bloom in the desert? Or maybe travel the world?"

DragonSong

And just like that Laeni clammed up. She forced a quick smile and reached down to pat Rey's head, trying to anchor herself.

"I-- I don't really know." She shrugged, not looking at him.

Brahgo cleared his throat as they reached another set of stairs, trying to break the tension. "Well, ah, I think your class is just up these. First door on the left, should be."

quaggan

Oh no.

At this point, Val didn't even have the strength to get angry at his curse. Perhaps he was getting used to having it ruin his interactions with other people, leading him to ask questions and raise subjects that were unpleasant to them. Or maybe it was a sign of wisdom, not wasting time railing against what lacked sentience or capacity to change.

He suppressed the urge to make excuses and blame the curse. Perhaps he should change the subject - but there was no guarantee that the conversation wouldn't just get even worse. Brahgo was wise to stay silent.

The shapeshifter broke the awkward silence. Val lifted his head to look around and memorize his surroundings - he would probably have to come to the Sundered Shadow room again, and he should keep the route in mind. He couldn't just rely on helpful students all the time. "Thank you" he smiled earnestly.

DragonSong

"No problem." Brahgo smiled, flashing his small lower tusks. Laeni offered her own thanks with a smaller, shyer smile as she shuffled toward the door.

"We'd better get in there, I think we're running late..."