Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tide of Chaos [M] (Marjorie)

Started by quaggan, August 29, 2018, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

"Ah yes, all the demons keep telling me that" Lanfearys agreed flippantly. Perhaps there were some limiting aspect to possession, but he still had time to find out about it. He'd have all the time in the world, as a matter of fact. Still, he couldn't help but be slightly flattered at being called interesting. As much as he'd like to think that he was past his contrarian phase, and has kept only the habits that he found not just scandalous but also beneficial; within his heart beat something that found perverse pleasure in being complimented for it - after all, few of his people would ever grant him this boon. An original compliment for an original trait, how fitting.

Well, Lanfearys was gifted with a keen sense of when to hold them, when to fold them, when to walk away and when to run - he never liked to have overstayed his welcome, not accidentally at least. And while Neese was fascinating and alluring, their pact was a sure guarantee that the Starstrider would see him again. For now, there was this wonderful realm of marvels to explore.

"I have to admit, sometimes I envy you" Driven Colour acknowledged. She didn't communicate through sound the way many others chose to, she conveyed her meaning through motion and transformation alone. The movement of air around her, the bleeding of one hue into another, the swirling patterns in seven dimensions were the language she's chosen. "I imagine mortals must provide you with plenty of amusement; why else would you play with them so much?"

A shade of lying blue expressed her curiosity - not even a judgement on her part, just an acknowledgement of this oddity. It quickly dissolved into a mire of crumpled leaves, marking a shift as merited by proper respect. "I met your most recent plaything. They actually tried to bite me - well, that's a guess on my part, I may have mistaken something else for their mouthparts. I almost considered allowing it - perhaps a separate tour of their innards would reveal a morsel of this appeal they seemingly have..."

Marjorie

Neese made no attempt to stop Lanfearys when he made his leave. He enjoyed what he wanted from him when he was there, and didn't so much a wonder where he'd gone to when he left.

--

" They are quite amusing," Neese agreed, "so complex, and yet, in the end, so very simple." He liked to play with them as see how they danced in response to his actions and offerings, and he liked to watch the consequences play out across their lives.

Neese hummed. "He might have been trying to kiss you, not bite you," he offered, "He does seem to enjoy exotic bed partners." Neese smirked.

quaggan

The dreadful glass around Driven Colour glittered in eminence, expressing appreciation at his insight. It yet lacked the flicker of understanding, showing that while she accepted his words as true and would not contest it, she yet did not fully understand it. Perhaps she had no faculties to, but it was not something she'd regard as a flaw in herself.

"Kissing." The rising rain swirled into a sundered pool, blooming into technical mauve as Driven Colour expressed sounds into hues to match his words. "I might have heard of this ritual."

Her shadow curled up from the floor and rose to embrace her before fanning out in a front of asymmetric wings, expressing her contentment at being able to hold the conversation despite lack of familiarity with the subject matter. "Is it an exchange of sustenance? A servant of mine boasted of having once spied mortals feeding. She claimed that they use their mouthparts to do it. How quaint."

Marjorie

Neese chuckled softly. "Oh, they do use their mouths for eating," he canted his head, "and so do I." As if in example he picked up a date from a nearby dish and tossed into his mouth and chewed and swallowed it.

"They also use their mouths for kissing," he pressed his fingers to his lips,  and then smirked as he pulled they away, "and other pleasures of the flesh. Kissing is often a initiation for sex or a show of affection." Or both. It was hard to explain to a being who didn't exist so much physically. Did Driven even feel physical pleasure?

quaggan

Driven Colour extended further, closer to Neese, but leaving the space the etiquette demanded. The torn flame flickered into dusty lilac as she watched him eat, although the glimpse in the mirrored gray suggested that she was far more interested in the shape the bitten date took. The white pulp beneath the peel seemed to catch her attention, to the point of reminding her of something she'd forgotten in the sea of flameless shadow.

"I have no designs on your mortal" Driven Colour assured him in a wheel of royal umber. "I shall leave you to... your matters." In a storm of grave ash, she disappeared. At this point, she was but one of many Fae who have seen fit to speak with Neese concerning his guests. Most of them were peers - servants would adapt rather than bother their master. The other higher Fae, who had no wish to play his enemy at the time, would visit him if only to assure Neese - or Arlan, as it was a matter of etiquette - that they would not be interfering with his plaything.

Marjorie

As long as they didn't name or permanently damage his beautiful toy, Neese didn't really care if they had designs for him. He did like how others went out of their way to assure him they had no enmity with him though. It was a show of respect of fear and it greatly flattered him.

He chuckled softly. "Oh, I don't mind if you play with him a little," but then the fickle being of light was gone. Just as well. This conversation had made him wonder what his starstrider was up to though. He reached out to the little part of him that was now also part of Lanferys, it worked like a beacon that Neese could follow as easily as thought. He was await where the little twisted bracelet of vine was, just as he was await of where his own hand was. He stood, and looked inside his glass of wine, at his own reflection, then stepped threw it. He stepped out from the nearest reflective surface to Lanferys.

quaggan

Oh, how different those always-changing lands of Arcadia were from the frozen wastes that the Starstriders called home! Proud as Lanfearys was of the architectural marvels that his people have constructed, he would never have expected to behold such wonders. And even though his eyes drank in the feast that was this land, his heart acknowledged the true treasure of this realm was not the nature, magnificent though it may be, but its masters. The Fae were as fickle and wonderful as Ithan claimed, truly a kind superior to those they called mortals.

Of course, Lanfearys himself was quite fond of the true mortals, those beholden to the tyranny of time. Their lives were so short, just enough for him to have some fun. His own kind were harder to toy with, with their long lives and excellent memory. But the Fae? The Fae were magnificent; even should the beauty and wonder of their appearance wear off, their nature would remain. How little they cared for all of the Starstrider's plotting and manipulation! Perhaps he should have felt offended, but instead, he felt invigorated. This was a challenge he'd love to face: learning about the foreign passions and thoughts of these fascinating new people, finding out how to play them. Then would come the composing of his living symphony, carefully selecting the players, the delicate art of fine-tuning the instruments.

And then, the chaotic crescendo.

But perhaps he was getting ahead of himself. Maybe it was to be expected; it was the lot of his people to seek beauty and surrender to it. But there was another obstacle for him to surmount: the shifting environment around him. It has been quite long since he had to contend with the world as anything else than a stage where he played his plot out. Fortunately, this realm's nature was far more than the dreary, frustrating terrain mortals had to contend with. Why, the very problem he faced at the moment was something straight out of a poetry book: flames dancing upon the surface of water. They did not burn him, but as long as they were alight, he could not walk upon the waves. Each step just had him land on the bottom, just as he would in a standard lake. And he couldn't have that.

The most wondrous - and, probably, most troubling - part of the problem was that his mind was neither used to nor evolved for thinking along the rules of this world. While it was sure to keep him entertained, though never to a point toying with someone sentient would, it might also prevent him from achieving resolution before he got bored.

Yet before he even set on an approach, let alone made his move, the flames parted. Not for him, although he was definitely conceited enough that the thought occurred to him. The waters refused to reflect the canopy above, shimmering instead into a rather familiar shape. He recognized Neese, of course - but having spent some time in this realm, he knew better than to trust mortal senses that could be easily deceived, and physical appearance that was beholden to the will and whims of the Fae. But even if he could be fooled, Neese's magic would not be. Even before, when he was exploring the wonders of this realm, sometimes the bracelet on his wrist would shift and change, with no apparent pattern or reason. Now once again it welcomed its master as the vines curled into a five-dimensional braid, glowing at the proximity.

"Those flames part for you alone?" he questioned. "No, give me no answer. Figuring it out is part of the fun." He wondered if he should greet the Fae, but welcoming Neese to his own domain seemed gauche even for Lanfearys.

Marjorie

The Realm, like it's people was drenched in old magic. To say the Fae lands were sentient was not entirely correct, however; neither was it entity wrong. Parts of the fae lands moved and changed of their own will, if not true thought and awareness of self... they responded to the people and things around them with something that mimicked intelligence.

Neese smirked. "...No, give me no answer.." How refreshing that Lanfearys preferred the challenge of the puzzle to the ease of an answer, even still. Leaves rustled and bark rubbed as he reached out his fingers, uninvited, and touched the bracelet in f vine as it writhed around the starstrider's wrist. Some of the bits of vine parted and curled around his fingers - as an old  of his... parted, and pleased to be reunited with him might take his hand into theirs and twine their finger. Then, as he pulled his hand back, they rejoined the other bits and twins round his wrist again.

"It's time you returned to your realm," Neese said. "Fae do not age the same as mortals, and time here does not change the same way... staying too long can be ill advised." He cocked his head and gave his pet a sidelong look, again appreciating his ivory skin and the attractive likes of his body. He brushed his fingers down the side of his neck and let his fingertips play at the small hollow where his collarbones met.

"Besides," he said, "I've business amount the mortals." He gave a sly smile. "There's someone in need of one of my gifts."

quaggan

Neese greeted him with a smirk and then almost immediately turned his attention to the bracelet. Perhaps Lanfearys should have been offended, but the way the vines reacted to their master's presence was quite interesting to watch. And, should he desire to play the greedy beacon of attention, this was a wish easily satisfied elsewhere. For now, he would be glad to bask in a different kind of exclusivity: being the only mortal here. While it was entirely possible that some other Fae might have also pulled someone through what separated their worlds, he's seen none around, and that pleased him. Of course, he would not disclose any of those thoughts - the only people satisfied with their lot in life were cowards who dared not dream bigger.

Glad though he was to see Neese again, the Fae's words were far less pleasing. Lanfearys' lips curved into a pout at the thought of leaving this realm, when he's only just begun to sample its delights. The warning about the passage of time concerned him not. Even without the blessing he received, he would not be subject to the tyranny of time. And he was quite stoked by the prospect of testing his immortality against a realm that cared little whether a wayward mortal lived or died.

He was about to protest, but Neese's words caught his attention. That was something new and interesting - did the Fae intend to use Lanfearys as an intermediary, a part of the process? Playing with lesser mortals was something the Starstrider was quite adept at, although he suspected that the Fair Folk employed a completely different host of methods - ones he would be interested to learn and perhaps incorporate into his own.

He decided to complain sometime later. He had a feeling that the vines on his wrist that marked him as Neese's mortal, might allow him re-entry to this realm anyway. And even if it didn't... well, he's found his way here once, he could conceivably do it again. For now, he would take advantage of this fascinating new opportunity. He leaned forward, a playful smirk dancing on his lips. "And what part would you have me play in that?"