Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sterling Silver [M]

Started by Zero, July 22, 2018, 10:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Lysander flashed a cheeky grin when Margaret described it as definitely being high on her list of perfect hiding spots. He had known this place would be a hit. How could it not? A balmy night, stars overhead, soft grass beneath them, and beautiful flowers all around – this place was as romantic a spot as one could find on the property. Not that the flirtatious young man didn't know plenty of others, but this had to be one of the very best. He was glad that he had brought her here. Unlike some of the other girls, he had a feeling that she would appreciate it more than most of the vapid young ladies that clung about his person.

The bottle of fine red wine was settled next to their plate of goodies as he seated himself onto the grass next to his esteemed guest just on the other side of the refreshments. It provided a distance buffer, just enough so that it was proper, of course. He liked the way she flopped back onto the grass without a care for ladylike conduction. Lysander remained mostly upright, only going so far as to put his hands on the ground behind him and lean back as he looked up at the sky with a look of pure contentment.

"A personal invitation would honor me greatly, Miss Weissman. I would love to stargaze with you in your vineyard." He truly would enjoy such an endeavor. Lysander had a reputation as a skirt chaser, but no one could accuse him of not being a gentleman – or a hopeless romantic.

Silence settled over them both, but it didn't bother him. Indeed, it seemed a very comfortable and peaceful silence rather than an awkward one. Lysander closed his eyes and simply enjoyed the moment as it was. A very gentle breeze rustled his hair, it felt good, and he could hear the faint sounds of the night, insects mostly, and further away the distant sounds of his party, which was still in full swing without his presence. He smiled as he thought of all the people enjoying themselves, and of how disappointed those girls must be that he had up and vanished with the very woman they had been maligning with their hateful – and wrong – opinions.

His eyes popped open when Margaret suddenly sat up and began speaking. Perhaps the silence had started getting to her after all. She seemed a tad nervous, but many women did around him. Turning his attention to the stars and where his companion pointed, he listened with interest as she indicated specific stars and constellations, speaking about them with clear knowledge and enthusiasm.

Lysander couldn't keep his gaze on the stars, however. As she began speaking of the Amphora, and the legend behind it, his pale eyes were drawn to her, watching with rapt attention as she spoke. Her passion for the subject was obvious, and a smile tugged at his lips as he observed her face, took in all the tiny, minuscule changes to her expression as she spoke. Margaret seemed to enjoy sharing her knowledge with him as much as she enjoyed the knowledge itself. It was rather a breathtaking quality she possessed.

Since he had been watching her intently he knew the moment she became self-conscious. His smile was surprisingly soft as he watched her hug her knees and apologize. "My dear lady, you have nothing to be sorry about. I wasn't bored at all. Did you know you're stunningly beautiful when you're talking about something you enjoy? I first noticed it when you spoke of wines inside."

Paladienne

Margaret smiled and a slight color filled her cheeks. She reached for the plate of goodies and selected a small sweet bun, bringing it to her mouth to take a small bite out of it. She chewed slowly, letting the sweet taste of the bun roll over her tongue. She took her time trying to identify flavors - brown sugar, cinnamon, was that vanilla? - just to delay the time until she had to answer him. Her thoughts seemed to have fled from her mind and they didn't seem inclined to return any time soon. That was all right, she decided. She honestly didn't know how to continue their conversation without making herself look like a fool.

He'd called her stunningly beautiful.

No one had ever called her that before. Well, her father had, but he didn't count. Fathers always thought their daughters were beautiful, even when they were so ugly they had to wear veils all the time to cover up their faces. Men had said she was pretty for a homely girl. Other girls had said she was too fat or too plain or too this or too that to be considered beautiful. Her sister, on the other hand, was her complete opposite, and was praised for her luxurious hair and her bright eyes and her obvious beauty. Molly had never been jealous of her sister; the girl wasn't even aware of her own looks and just as obviously didn't care about them. She was more into experimenting with her cheeses, just as Molly was more into experimenting with the flavors of wine, to care about what people thought about her.

All Nadya really wanted in life was her own sheepie.

Just as all Molly wanted to do was save her family from her idiot brother's crushing debt. Her parents didn't even know she knew. They thought that they were protecting her from the horrors of not having enough to eat, or enough to pay their workers, or enough to buy the food for the schoolchildren's meals. But she knew. She saw. How could she not? Molly wasn't a fool and she wasn't blind. She loved her parents, she loved her sister, and she loved her brother - she really did, even if she wanted to take a wine bottle and smash it over his head for being so stupid - and she loved her home. She didn't want to lose it. That was why she'd even accepted Lysander's invitation in the first place - to ask him if he could help her save her family. But she'd chickened out. She'd changed her mind. She decided she hadn't wanted to come to him asking to share his wealth with her to save her family, because it wasn't in her nature to ask anyone else to help, even if she desperately needed it. She could do it on her own. Somehow. Some way. She could do it.

She swallowed the bun and looked toward Lysander. "I ramble sometimes, when I talk about things I actually know quite a bit about. It tends to bore others, since it isn't about the latest fashion trend or the latest gossip. I prefer a more... educational conversation." She lifted her shoulders and let them fall. "I enjoy learning about many things. I enjoy reading many books. Usually I discuss them with my sister, for she often reads the same things I do, and learns the same things I do. Her interests lie elsewhere though. I think you may have had some of our cheeses for tasting on your tables, but I really wasn't paying attention to them. If you had anything flavored with mint or lemon, that was probably my sister's experiments."

She picked up another treat, this time a biscuit. She took a bite, chewed slowly, and then chuckled. Molly covered her mouth with her fingers to keep from blowing crumbs everywhere and looked away from Lysander as she did her best to make sure her lips weren't covered in half-chewed biscuit parts. She swallowed and reached for the wine.

"She and I try to match flavors. Wine does go well with cheese, you know. And different fruits." Molly worked the cork open, then looked around for glasses. Her cheeks reddened again as she realized they had forgotten to bring wine glasses with them.

She looked at Lysander out of the corner of her eye and lifted the bottle of wine into his line of sight. "How do you feel about sharing a bottle?"