Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Afternoon Walk [CLOSED]

Started by Nix_Shraik, December 16, 2018, 05:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nix_Shraik

Summer, Somewhere in Western Highlands

Light fog was crawling over a village squeezed between mountains and hills of Western Highlands. It was larger then one would expected, their hunters and gatherers earning pretty coin for hard work. The houses were simple, but sturdy, small patches of farm land efficiently made to yield most from them. One could see the villagers knew what was hard work, but could also see no one felt unhappy about it. This was a nice village.

Next to it they had a cemetery. For the size of the village it obviously wasn't large, but enough  to house the dead they had. Few small stone buildings marked their heroes and leaders, now in other hunting grounds, larger tombstones marking the more wealthy. Surprisingly the weather was gloomy and cold, white fog crawling through the stone houses of the dead. Quite a surprise when day before the villages druid had predicted another sunny day. But these things happened with wild magic from the mountain. They shouldn't be weird. And maybe they weren't.

But what was weird was the lone person in the cemetery. Because of the weather everyone tried staying at home, mostly only kids running outside. Perfect if one wanted to be unbothered in his walk. As always Nix wore his white robe with red markings, slowly passing between the smaller and bigger tombstones. Time to time he would stop at one or another, crouch down to read what was written on them, clean of any moss with his pale hand and then return to his wandering.

Cemeteries seemed funny as a concept for Shraik. Just another way for people to show off their riches even after death had claimed their unmoving, rotting flesh. For those led by greed they were just perfect treasure troves. Nix hadn't added anything  new to his collection in a while and boredom had been killing him. If nothing happens maybe he should make something happen?

Whim

Hyydael's cemetery was only a quarter-mile's walk from the village. A thick canopy of old firs, and a windy path through the hills, made it seem much longer.  This fog was different from the cool humidity before a thunderstorm. It was cold and Ollie was near-shivering. This was not weather to visit a cemetery, and Ollie driftwind was unaccustomed to the fact he was now strapping young man with a large sword.

You had no muscles until you left your horse. This cold will harrow you until you leave your cloak. Endure it! A voice whispered. It came from his sword.

"I'm not going to leave it you know. Mother knitted it." Kaaruthux could be so irritating. For spite, Ollie snuggled into his colorful serape. "Now you're sure Gydwanyth's tomb is up here? I don't mind seeing the countryside, really, but isn't there some tournament atop a tower down south you'd rather me be wrestling in? I don't see why you want to see it so badly."

The journey of your transformation is mine to guide, boy. Gydwanyth was a conqueror! A tamer of wild-places! Iron fisted! Iron willed!

"You know I've never heard of him. He sounds lovely, though."

Finally, scrubby headstones and megaliths came into view. It was every bit so eerie as he expected. Most of the watchwords and prayers were in old Serenian and so worn and caked with lichen he could not read. Off in the distance he saw movement. A flicker of white. Ollie gasped and would would have jumped from his boots if not for being barefoot already. It was a waifish figure dressed in white. "Hello?!" the boy called out. "Are you a priest? I'm looking for a certain grave..."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Nix_Shraik

Further away, somewhere of near entrance to the cemetery, the fairy heard sound. Sound of someone speaking. Presence of people. And yes, maybe this fog was created to avoid unneeded interaction, but Nix had been bored and this was something.

So he followed the sound. Floated in the air using telepathy just enough to make as little sound, as possible. Such he was noticed only when getting really close, landing on ground just before the human would notice. No need to scare away his entertainment.

"Are you a priest? I'm looking for a certain grave..."

The way this young boy jumped and seemed frazzled by the red hairs presence summoned a wide smile on his face. He giggled hearing the assumptions of his trade, remembering about the few holy orders to whom he counted as sworn enemy. Wasn't his fault they had something he wanted.

"Oh no, no, no! Not a priest. Just a traveler. But what are you looking for? I have been here for a while and maybe had seen it."

Another smile to convey friendliness. Because of the low light and gray overall atmosphere his own sickly gray skin wasn't so obvious and hopefully not noticed by the newcomer. He then looked down and noticed the boy bare footed. Maybe the human was some kind of shepherd or something. Would not explain the sword, though. Sword that was radiating more magic then a regular no-shoe boy should. Shraik extended his hand in human greeting.

"Halden is the name. Pleasure!"

SilverLining

Is it cold out or is it just John's silly feeling? Ari womders snuggling into the wolf fur cloak that his master let him borrow in case it got cold out.

Not that he particularly needed such a thing to begin with. Ari could get chilly but it took a lot for him to get chilly. He no longer needed to worry about the coldness of a mortal body. He was sent here by his master to find some special herbs and animals for a experiment he was planning on doing.

The only down side is it was in a trolls den. Which Ari was close to as he walked.

Taking a deep breath Ari looks ahead then all of a sudden he hears the large panting breath of something behind him.

Within a few moments he was being sent flying through the sky. The wind somewhat knocked out of him.

After a few seconds he'd make contact with the soft grass earth. His armor taking a good bit of the impact but still, he would probably have a few bruised ribs.

Laying there in shock for a few seconds before rolling over and looking up at the two figures that were seemingly talking. One of them seemed cold. Finally away to get rid of the dreaded wolf pelt coat!

Standing up and dusting off the debris from his clothing and armor, until brushing it out of his hair with his fingers. Ari takes off the cloak aand approaches them, carefully. "Excuse me but you seem you could use this more then I need it, sir." Ari commemts with a quiet voice. Handing the cloak over to the boy. He'd tilt his head, "Why are the two of you out here this late?" He'd ask looking at Halden up and down before doing the same to the boy.

Something seemed familiar about both of them.

Whim

"Nice to meet you, Halden. I'm Ollie Driftwind of Altas Verde." Ollie smiled and offered a hand, still soft though his palms were peeling slightly and no doubt on their way to becoming callused. The boy before him was pretty in a delicate sort of way. His ashen skin and red-streaked robe seemed more suited to a scholar or noble. Maybe a wizard? Ollie supposed he looked like that once, but no longer, and it saddened him. Kaaruthux began to grow warm and glow ever-so-faintly. The blade did it around people he found suspicious or dangerous, which was everyone.

"I'm looking for Gydwanyth Ironhand. He was some old Brawler who wrestled ogres. I'm supposed to make a pilgrimage to his tomb to, uh, learn how to become a great warrior or something." He offered a sheepish grin. It was rather embarrassing. And being irreverent about the entire thing did annoy Kaaruthux. "What brings you out this way, Halden? Just passing through Hyydael?"

And then a man crashed from the sky. In a flash Ollie had his sword drawn, and promptly lowered it. It was just a man. "Oh!-

"Oh, sorry. You startled me." Ollie lowered his weapon, face a little bit red, and waved away the cloak. Taking clothes from strangers, after all, was how you got lice. And then he'd have to cut off his pretty hair. "Are you okay, sir? And did you just... fall from the sky? I have a little tonic in my pack if you're battered." The boy looked from 'Halden' back to Ari, and began rummaging, hoping the fey youth might have some insight or explanation.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Nix_Shraik

Nix kept his light smile all through the boys introduction to himself. The lack of experience and naivety in his voice was obvious, creating even more question as to why he was here in the graveyard. There was a light hum of power coming from the sword at the kid's side, but without activating  [Dragoneye Light] he couldn't tell more. Could be a simple enchantment as far, as he knows.

"I'm looking for Gydwanyth Ironhand. He was some old Brawler who wrestled ogres..."

Excitement in his heart died listening to Ollie's goal. It had a potential to be something, but rather it was just...A brawler. A brawler who fought ogres. Shraik was pretty sure how did the man die. He still didn't allow the disappointment show on his face, rather just listening to the man. As he was done there were new reasons to peak the male's curiosity.

"Hmmm, my apologies, if I offend you or something, but it doesn't seem you really want to be here, saying the truth. Doesn't that kind of ruin the concept of pilgrimage for you humans? As to why I am here..."

He was then interrupted by another male landing on the ground nearby. It seemed like fate was on the fairies side to save him from boredom.

"Oh my! What do we have here! Interesting."

Nix then allowed the two talk it through, just listening and observing the newcomer. There was a faint hum of magic coming from this one as well, but nothing that would peak the fairies interest too much.

"Why are the two of you out here this late?"

To that Nix raised his thin eyebrow before giggling softly and melodically. "Well, it's only the middle of day. Seems like the fall may have been a bit too hard on your head young one." He then let his slender, ringed fingers through the red locks.
"Answering your second question, I was just about to accompany this boy here to a brawling champions grave I saw nearby. Do you maybe care to join and tell us how come you had fallen from the sky?"

With that the pale male turned his back to the two and went deeper into the graveyard.

SilverLining

"I am fine boy. Save that for youself." Ari responds to the young boys offering after he stretched some and tested out a few of his body parts. Yeah there is so going to be a bruise. Ari grumbles in his thoughts. John was not going to be too happy but it was the least he could do for his master.

Ari watches Nix walk away with a slightly comfused look before quietly following him. "Name is Ari. I was getting some item for my master. He wanted item from a trolls den."

Ari sighs, "Bastard found me though when I finally found its den also. He decided to send me flying as a result luckily." He'd finish making it a quick story. Not really one for much conversation, even with his master, John.

He was not much of a talker as he walked with the two new people as he looked around. Graveyards never were his favorite of places.

As they walked Ari would simply fold up the cloak and carry it in one of his arms.

Whim

"Well, I'm glad you're okay. It could have been much worse. And you're really sure?" His gaze fixed on Ari. Puzzled how calm the man was, but tumbles would do that.

"But as for my pilgrimage, I've always wanted to travel Serendipity; see that upwards waterfall in Jadenshine, hold a riddle contest with an elf or something, maybe learn a few spells? I wouldn't be able to if not for Kaaruthux here keeping me safe." Ollie patted the hilt of his weapon. Even in Serendipity it felt strange to personify a sword. "But he wants me to visit Gydwanyth's grave and all these other things. Past wielder, I guess?"

The blue-green weapon flared suddenly. "The boy is soft! Meditation on the feats of Gydwanyth will make him strong. Meditation, and carrying three dozen-times-each day a stone a large as a cat from a hill to a dale and back. But a troll, yes, would pose acceptable game!"

He gave a hapless sigh, eyes darting between 'Halden' and Ari. Introducing Kaaruthux was terribly annoying. "I'd be awfully grateful if you could show me the way.

"But what did you mean by humans?" Ollie canted his head, trying to get a closer look at the delicate youth. He was a bit pale but that didn't mean anything. And it was impossible to see if his ears were pointy behind the wild hair. Color flushed to the barbarian's cheeks when it became apparent he was staring. "Are you- are you a faerie?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: