Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Assassin in a Haystack (Eckhart)

Started by Whim, June 14, 2019, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

"He does, huh? I guess I used to kind of be like that..." the boy mused as they pattered through the streets, back to the Friends' territory. He cast a glance from Sage back to Randal as they departed. "The card game did look, well, fun."

"And it can't be that bad. Fake monsters isn't that much worse than selling poisons and things..." the little wizard added in a small voice. Randal was surely clever enough to grasp peddling drugs and poisons was not so different from violence, but his friend seemed fiercely loyal where-ever Taza was concerned. He did not hesitate much to tattle on Ewan for accidentally swearing, after all. It was almost concerning how sheltered she had kept him, sometimes. "Sure ya don't want to try?"

"Oh... so soft!" a colorfully dressed bar-maid ran her painted fingers through Cody's fur, scritching the back of his neck. The mage-knight couldn't stop his curled tail from wagging. It just felt so good! He was never that pretty before this ill-fated wish. If it won him attention like this, maybe it wasn't so bad? The corgi-featured youth leaned in to kiss her, a little awkward with his wet and black little nose. The wench giggled, tousling his ears. "Silly puppy! I don't suppose you could introduce me to your friend?" Cody's face knit itself into a frown, amber eyes following her gaze to the Kishani.

Xamuu, whose well-sculpted body dwarfed Cody's, strode about the crowded festhall like a giant. "I look for one called Sarah Whitechalk. She has yellow hair." The shaman tried a few times in earnest. A suave man in a big had tried to direct him toward a blonde woman, who was decidedly not Sarah. At least she seemed sensible. Unlike other northern women she was not dressed stupidly; so foolish to wear clothing if it was not cold. The big man settled for a seat at the bar and a mug of beer.

Meanwhile Sage was perched atop a bar-stool, a goblet of wine clutched in his hand. "So her name is Hildegarde? I've never understood the Connlaothian language. Its so ugly and guttural. Hildegarde, von Groffenheim, Vergensweig, they sound like something you'd name a pig or a cow. But then again its all about what you're used to, isn't it?" the heir ruffled his mane of silvery hair with a smile. "So she's an assassin, this Sarah? How does she manage that?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Uh-uh." Randal said firmly, pace quickening. "No way. If Taza says something is bad, it's bad. She hasn't been wrong before, at least..." The boy was running now, a determined expression on his face. "There's no time anyways! We gotta tell Sarah about that guy!"

Randal would lead Ewan back towards the apartment building, hoping to find the Verdan woman there...

Whim

Well, Randal could have turned out much worse. At least Taza raised him polite. "I am old older and wiser than Taza, ya know. Doesn't that count for anything?" he flashed a smirk. That Randal considered him more of a peer was irritating at times, but Ewan couldn't really argue that they weren't equals in most regards now. "I think you just want to stick with marbles because you know you can beat me."

As the boys rounded the corner they spotted Joan watching the door. Ewan was not sure if it was her nature, or that he did stuff for Tiffany, but she always seemed to give him and Randal a hard time. If either left something indoors they'd have to wait until sunset to be let back in. "Hi Joan. Yeah, yeah. We're pipsqueaks. You could beat us both up at once when you were our age. If we weren't so lazy we wouldn't be scrawny. We smell bad and you're going to throw us in the water, again. We've heard it all," he enumerated on his fingers. "Right now we got to find Sarah. Someone saying he's her cousin with a bunch of armed guards is looking for her!"

Sage and his entourage doubled backthe way they came. Xamuu strode along at his right, Cody scurried along on his left, and Sirala fluttered through the air overhead. The Kishhani shaman had, fortunately, managed to banish the toxin which petrified her. "I just don't see her as an assassin. She always had such a cheery disposition; I think you'd really need to be a certain type to earn money from murder," he flipped a strange, cyathil tuning fork up in the air. "But I can't imagine anyone of the family really working as some common thug. Or serving some insignificant savage from Connlaoth. I think that's the worst of it really..."

"Does she keep young Basil?" The shaman found the youngest Whitechalk amusing if tiresome. He would sometimes tell Basil stories of his homeland. Ordinarily Xamuu kept such secret things to himself, but it was good to reminisces. There was no going home.

"No sign of any boy, but Hildegarde does take in all sorts of strays..." If Sarah shared what Basil was he was probably not allowed free roam. Sage preferred not to consider that possibility. Not yet.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal exhaled sharply as he turned the corner, home finally within view. Joan stood in her usual spot, leaning against the wall casually. She gave the boys a nasty grin as the approached, which faltered as she listened to Ewan's hurried explaination. "Sarah's cousin..." she repeated slowly, eyes narrowing. "Hmph. Fun."

"Joan, please." Randal urged, beginning to panic. "We need to-"

"She's gone out." the woman interrupted, scowling. She pushed past the two boys brusquely, heading in the direction they'd come from. "Go inside, tell the boss. I'll deal with this..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ooh, look at this color Porcelina!"

Porcelina blinked slowly, turning away from the shelf of watercolors she'd been examining. Sarah held out a bright pink jar for the dwarf to see, beaming excitedly. "Isn't it just, like, gourgeous?"

Porcelina blinked again, huffing in annoyance. "Sarah, no. Hot Pink is gaudy." She turned back to the watercolors, pursing her lips. "Completely manufactured too. You won't find any flowers or birds that color."

Sarah frowned, halfheartedly putting the jar back on it's shelf. "Well, I still like it..."

Whim

Ewan and Randal sat with their faces pressed to the smudged glass of his bedroom window. It had not changed much since the boy was first installed. There were no spellbooks or arcane herbs stashed away, just a chalk circle drawn on the floor. The little wizard had tried to smudge it out but it was clear he was practicing with marbles after countless losses to his new friend.

"You don't have to tell me, not if you don't want to, but exactly is that magic you got? And why are you and Taza keeping it so secret? At this point I guess I'm kind of one of you, aren't I?

"Will take ten years of saving to go north if I'm paid two bits a week. And I'm sure you and Tiffany would miss me doing all your worst chores." He cracked a little smile, framing it as a joke, but it really was true. It would be a little sad to leave so soon besides. As much as Taza cared for Randal there was something unsettling about it all given her line of work. Not to mention Kauz and Tiffany were surely not good role models for the child...

If Ewan had anything now, it was time.

Sage could see some figures lounging about outside the boarding house with a hooded woman at the fore. They had the look of peasants, mostly. Even the well dressed ones had the sort of gaudy outfits you expected of the poor playing at nobility. It was cute in a way, like when you put a little scarf on a cat! But these lowborn in Zantaric didn't fear their betters. And that was dangerous. Perhaps you could cut down a few with a sword but you could not get cocky. Especially given some of these people were sorcerers, and Basil was maybe inside.

The youth counted silently to three, and strode forward. "Is this Hildegarde's house?" he paused, heart racing. Anything could happen. "I'm Sage Whitechalk. My cousin Sarah lives here, or so I'm told.

"I want to have a chat; catch up with her."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"I pass drugs to people. They get high instead of me."

Randal sat by the window, eyes glued on the street below. Hildegarde had not taken the news of Sage's arrival very well, and immediately sent Griselda to gather people for "Nightmare Scenario Five"- whatever that was. The group outside was small, consisting only of Griselda herself, Winnifred, and the new boy he'd been told not to talk to yet. Would that be enough? Randal's heart began to pound as he saw Sage approach the building, entourage following behind at a distance. "Ewan, it's happening..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Griselda stood outside the boarding house, feathered wings swaying gently in the November breeze. A small boy crouched in her shadow, face hidden by a oddly realistic mask. A scrawny Connlaothian woman stood nearby, a bulky contraption strapped to her arms and back. On a normal day, one person would be more than enough to guard a single door- but today couldn't be called normal in any sense of the word.

""Um, miss..." the boy in the mask whispered, tugging on Griselda's shirt. "Sister says they'll be here soon..."

"Them? Y'mean her whole family showed?" the Connlaothian said, a pang of anxiety in her gravelly voice. "Sweet fuckin' Ansgar..."

Griselda snorted, smiling wryly. She put her hands in her pockets, taking a deep breath as a young man turned the corner onto their street. It had been happening more frequently as of late- somebody would emerge from a Friends past, usually a family member, and cause needless drama. The Yorieqi woman had hoped Eckhart would be the last, but here she was...

But in a way, didn't it make sense? Griselda took a step forwards, smiling at the approaching man absentmindedly. The vast majority of the Friends were people who were running from something- people who wanted a second chance. The man stopped and introduced himself, and the woman pointed at her badge in response. Observation had taught her that life wouldn't give second chances that easily- no matter how far you ran, your past would always catch up to you eventually. It was probably better to face these things head on, lest your history chose to bear a grudge...

Still, Griselda had job to do. There was a flash of metal as the woman aimed a punch at Sage's gut without warning, enough force behind the blow to knock over a man twice his size...

Whim

"Oh! You working at the Blue Orchid I should've guessed. Well, thanks for telling me." Ewan joined Randal with face pressed to the glass, wincing as Sage was struck. Maybe this would end fast. But then the swords came out.

"Are ya sure you should be watching? This is going to be lots more violent than cards ya know." He made a sort of half-hearted effort to tug the boy back. "Taza might not be happy about it..."

"Take that to mean ya got young master Basil captive? Turn him over now!" Cody's ears flattened reflexively at the assault. "Harm a hair on his head? I'll take pleasure lopping every last bit off your Hildie!" In a flash his sword was out, and the dog-knight rushed forward to flank Griselda. He swung the weapon, aiming a careful blow at her wings from above.

The big man grunted with annoyance. The winged woman was beautiful. Such a pity. Xamuu clenched his bow in annoyance and whispered a prayer to the ancients. The cobblestones between Griselda and her companions rumbled. A great Stony hand erupted from the earth, followed by second, and a snarling face...

Sirala shrieked in rage. Shrouded in a globe of water the jelly rose from her perch on Xamuu's shoulder. She would not be insulted. Not twice in a day. She would fill them all until they burst. Their innards would be torn to shreds and they would scream and wail. But first! But first she must do her duty. One of them had a machine and human machines did not like cold and water. The jelly waved her tendrils and conjured forth an explosive torrent of icy brine aimed at Winnefred and the masked child.

Sage darted backwards but not quite in time. His breastplate saved him any serious injury, but the surprise blow sent him reeling. The youth scrambled to draw his weapon before Griselda could advance. They must have his brother. There was no chance at negotiation now, though, not if they died here. But that raggedy little boy's magic was in him still. He had to focus. As he'd changed the snake back into a boy, he changed himself Cody and Xamuu. Their bones thickened. Draconic scales erupted from their bodies displacing fur and hair.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Griselda raised an eyebrow as Sage stumbled backwards, somehow shrugging off her blow. Two members of the man's entourage now targeted her, and the winged woman couldn't help but to grin. Deflecting the dogman's sword with her brass knuckles, Griselda sprung into the air...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winnefred lifter her arms, pointing her armored fists at the approaching men. She licked her lips in anticipation- she had never gotten a chance to test the firecracker launcher on human targets before! Before she could activate the trigger mechanism however, what she'd assumed to be a flying snowglobe doused her in some kind of cold liquid. The woman cursed loudly, reaching for her musket and taking aim at Sirala...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The masked boy stood firmly in place barely reacting to being splashed. Green eyes stared at Sage through the mask's eyeholes, studying him. "Sister says that basil is a plant." he whispered. "Didn't you come for Sarah? Sarah's not a basil plant..."

If he was paying attention, Sage would hear slow, scuffing footsteps directly behind him...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Joan stormed down Ettin street, a snody glare fixed on to her face. Passersby instinctively moved out of her way, and those who didn't were pushed. If Sarah had gone on errands with Porcelina, then there was only one place they could be...

The door to Murderer's Masterpiece flung open, nearly coming off it's hinges as the woman made her way inside. Her eyes darted around the room, scowling. "Sarah?" she called, shooting a glare at one of the shop clerks. "You in here?"

"Oh, hey Joan!" Sarah replied cheerily, stepping out from behind a shelf to greet her Friend. She held up a jar of paint excitedly. "Look at this color! Isn't it, like-"

"Your cousin is in Zataric." Joan inturrupted harshly. "Looking for you."

The jar shattered, neon yellow paint splattering across the floor. Joan could hear Porcelina curse loudly from the back of the shop, but decided go ignore her. Sarah's face was frozen in a state of shock, her normally warm gaze now icy. "Which cousin." she finally said, a darkness in her voice that Joan had never heard before. "This matters."

Whim

Cody was expecting a counter-attack. The dog-man was one of the Whitechalk's better warriors, and ready to sever the Brawler's hand if she made a move. But the sudden transformation Sage brought upon them all had thrown him off - and the woman expertly parried his blade with a brass knuckle. A brass knuckle. He swung a riposte with a snarl. "Basil's the boy you're holding here. Or don't you know you're in with kidnappers, runt?"

Sirala saw the flash of the musket. Would it work in the rain? She did not understand such things. Her mind raced to formulate a plan. She drifted slowly for cover, but she was far too slow to evade the weapon. There was a rush of cold air and the water around her froze, forming a barrier, as she braced for the impact...

Xamuu watched the fray from a distance. He saw the Connlaothian take aim for the jelly, and drew his bow in turn. And then the crack of a rifle rang out. Without hesitation the man loosed an arrow, a narrow-pointed bodkin, at the woman. 

Sage thought he heard something off in the distance. And a boy talking, some nobody without a drop of sorcery. That did not matter right now. He'd urgently wanted to try out this new power that had already armored them with dragonskin. The sensation was intoxicating. But even that didn't matter. Sage had fought and trained beside Cody since they were children, and used Griselda's parry to rush forward as the fat woman spun, slashing at her wings and soft meat of her back and thighs...

The ground roiled, shook, and a giant of stone and clay erupted from the cobblestones. With a roar, and jolt of alarming speed, it snatched for the masked boy!

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The masked child tilted his head. "There's no boy here named Basil." he said, pushing his long bangs out of his eyes. "I thought you came here to- eep!"

The ground had swelled beneath his feet, coalescing into a large figure. It grabbed the child in it's stoney hand, lifting the boy off his feet. "Pawel!" Winnifred cried, face livid. "You let 'im go right now, or I'll-"

"It's ok. Sister tagged him." Pawel said, cutting the woman off. He hung limply in the giant's hand, making no attempt to free himself. "She says to shoot the fish again." Nodding in understanding, the Connloathian woman would hastily begin to reload...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sage would suddenly find himself being held tightly in place by an ethereal hand, pinning his arms to his side. If he listened closely, he'd hear the soft pitter-patter of footsteps begin to move towards Xamuu...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Griselda smirked, dodging the wolfman's strike in midair. With a mighty flap of her wings she ascended higher into the sky, allowing herself a momentary glance at her surroundings. Pawel and Winnifred were tied up in their battles, seemingly struggling. A throwing knife sped through the air towards the Kishahni man, though Griselda hadn't seen who'd thrown it. And in the distance, she could see three small figures rushing down Ettin Street...

It had barely been a second, but that was all she needed to memorize their position. With a wild grin, Griselda would dive towards the dog man with the intent of crushing him...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sarah strode angrily down Ettin Street, long jacket billowing behind her. Her usual lax demeanor was gone, replaced by a energy that could only be described as regal. Joan and Porcelina trailed behind her nervously. "What the fuck is going on?" the dwarf whispered, struggling to maintain pace. "What did you do to her?"

Joan merely shook her head in reponse, eyes fixated on the woman in front of her. She'd known that Sarah had come from a wealthy family - hell, Hildegarde practically advertised her as such. But to think that this had been underneath the assassin's laid-back attitude the entire time...

That, Joan decided, was impressive.

Whim

Xamuu's arrow missed. The hunter readied a second shot, but was thrown off-kilter by a dagger slamming into his back. The blade struck true, but barely grazed the dragonscale that coated his skin. He whirled with a grunt to face his new assailants. Fingers splayed, arms crossed behind his head, a barrier of jagged rock rose from the cobbles. "COME NO CLOSER! I HAVE YOUR BOY. HE SHALL BE CRUSHED, AND YOU NEXT."

Cody stood strong, eager to split Griselda in twain. But the dog-man thought better of it as she swooped with alarming speed, and darted aside. The weight of her against his shield sent him tumbling backward with a curse.

The Jelly had not been fast enough to evade the arquebus, and the bullet shattered the feeble shield of ice. It ricocheted, but the force of it knocked her from the sky and into a heap of gelatinous tissue, two of her Tendrils blown clean off. "Sirala!" Sage meant to rush forward but found himself stuck. His fingers and toes moved but his arms were held fast, but by what? The tuning fork at his belt was keening. Immediately he recognized the pitch as corresponding to spirit magic. A compulsion. It would not be hard to break, just a matter of seizing the spell! But did he need to? On the very edge of his perception he could feel their heartbeats. Seven heartbeats and so much more. The boy's mind drifted instead to the Jelly. She was cold. Dry. Too dry. Where are the other two legs? And pain. So much pain.

Sirala's form began to shift and twist... growing... changing... and in mere moments she was made whole. There came a shriek of rage, and the creature propelled itself into the air with renewed vigor and malice.

"You'd better listen to Xamuu. He isn't the joking sort. But- but if you don't have my brother" came ragged gasps, quivering with anger. "-why do you think we came to this lice ridden, rat-shit-filled heap of a City? To kill Sarah? Living here she's as good as dead. And you? You're in charge?" Not the most clever retort but mending the jelly was agony. It was painful but it was done. Just a moment and he could free himself.

Ordinary, Ewan made a valiant effort to give Randal some sense of logic and morality beyond Taza being right all the time. He might've needled his friend further, but both boys' noses were pressed to the glass. "There's no way she survived that! And- and Wyrmskin is mine! Its my spell. Highland wyvern scale absorbs magic and that's why I made it like that. H-how did he..." his voice broke with frustration, as if a child beaten at checkers one too many times.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Terrence crouched behing a crooked streetlamp, knife in hand. His eyes fixated on the Kishahni man, studying his movements in an attempt to find an opening. This fight had persisted for too long- they should have gained the upper hand by now. The boy poised his arm to throw, taking aim at the giant's neck...

"Sage. Enough."

A voice cut above the chaos of battle, causing the teenager to hesitate. Sarah had arrived, looking angrier than he'd thought possible of the woman. Joan and Porcelina weren't far behind, and Terrence felt a weight lift from his shoulders. It would end soon, one way or another...

Whim

Sage's draw dropped in surprise at Sara's approach. He was prepared, almost, to have them all stand down.

"I didn't come to fight. I came to talk, and-" his voice faltered, suddenly sounding very young. The girl did not look so different from the one he used to go sledding with, who stole his cards to admire the pretty pictures. But then an anger rose in Sage. Who were these people to attack him? Snare him with a spell? He could not forget this. Could he? This wasn't how you were supposed to be as a Lord or as a brother. "We aren't going drop our guard unless your friends stand down."

Cody hefty his blade, ready to strike to the Connlaothian if she reloaded. Sirala bobbed in the air, a shroud of frost encircling her. And Sage's body, though snared by magic, seemed to twitch ever-so-slightly.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

How long had it been?

Sarah locked eyes with her cousin, studying him apprehensively. He looked nothing like the boy she remembered-and yet, he was exactly the same. Memories of her childhood came flooding back to her all at once. The snowforts they'd build, the silly board games she'd make him play...

She shut her eyes tightly, breaking the trance. Why was he here now? How did he even track her down to begin with, for that matter? All she'd wanted was to forget and be forgotten, and she couldn't even have that.

"The only way we'll stand down is if you leave." Joan said hoarsely, stepping forwards to place a hand on Sarah's shoulder. "If talkin' to sweetcheeks here is all you came for, you can do it someplace else. If not..."

"Joan, it's fine..." Sarah murmured, cringing slightly at the nickname. She looked at Sage sadly, then nodded towards Pawel. "It's okay. You can let them go. I don't want to fight..."

Whim

Sage exhaled and the dragonscale faded from his companions, who lowered their arms in turn. What the hell was that? The boy did it? So many mage-children in one place.

"There's an inn around the corner. We can talk there. If you want." He shifted awkwardly, voice shy and quiet without any of his bravado. Xamuu, Sirala, and Cody trailed behind the pair as they clomped through the mud in silence. Already the crowds of Zantaric were returning to old business. "I'm glad you have Friends down here. But- why and how are you so far south?" Other questions burned that he was not yet ready to ask.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah gazed at her cousin sadly, eyes clouded. Her only response was to nod silently, putting her hands in her pockets as she followed the man down the road. People were beginning to reappear in the streets now that the fighting had ended, and the low buzz of chatter soon filled the air. The inn wasn't far now...

"How could I have stayed?"

A pang of sadness ran through the woman like a dull knife, her eyes fixating on the ground beneath her feet. "Everybody would know who I am- was. Who I was." The inn was now in sight, inebriated patrons milling about outside the building. "I had to leave."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is that it?"

Joan watched as Sage and his party made their exit, not letting her guard down until they had quietly disappeared down a side street. Once convinced they were firmly out of earshot, she let out a frustrated groan. "I don't know, shorty. It might not be."

Porcelina made a clicking noise with her tongue. "That's... problematic."

"How do we know they aren't leading Sarah into a trap?" Winnifred asked, pulling the mechanichal contraption off of her back to inspect it. She grimaced- it'd take at least a month to repair the damage done to it. "We shouldn't leave her alone with them..."

"I'm not worried." Pavew squeaked, clutching his ribs in pain. The golem's grip had left dark bruises on the boy's arms, and he was having difficulty breathing. "Sister saw Thomas go with her."

"Who?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He looks really hurt..."

Randal stared out the window, anxiously picking at his hangnails. "Should... should we go get Eckhart?"

Whim

Sage walked in silence trying to formulate a reply. There wasn't any. When they reached the inn a squat Adelan opened the way and Sage tossed him a coin. It was filled with the smell of smoke and meat and raukus laughter. It was dark but for firelight, with a great sand-filled put in the center. The doormen lead them through a crowded maze of tables and up a flight of stairs to a private table on the dias. Xamuu and sage one side; Cody and Sara on the other.

"I wish you could have at least made a life in Serendipity.

"But I can bring you back now. If you want. It will be my decision." It felt good to say and was true. Juniper and his mother did not matter; not really. He was the first, the strongest of them, and it would go his way.

The young lord took a deep breath and a long sigh. How do you accuse someone of kidnapping? No right way to do. His gaze flickered, ever-so-briefly, to Cody. "But the reason I'm here... is that Basil is missing."

The masked boy's sharp, labored breathing was visible even from the window. "Eckhart? I can fix him!" His mind drifted to Belladona. The stupid cat always worked in some little jab! Too reckless. Shouldn't be allowed to touch Vanya's book. Much better at streetsweeping than magic. Ewan turned to a few jars and scribbled notes on his nightstand. It was mostly stuff Eckhart lent him: dead bugs, garlic, and crocodile scales. Maybe good for cleaning a wound or making grass grow. Not the time to go showing off. 

"Actually, um, maybe you're right. Just hope Belladona isn't there..."

The townhouse steps thundered as Ewan and Randal stomped their way down, vaulting over the banister in succession. "Hey! Eckhart! Its us!" came loud knocking at the healer's door.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah followed her cousin into the tavern, flicking her hood over her head. Arriving at a private booth, the young woman sat down bemusedly. You were more likely to be eavesdropped on when you seperated yourself from the crowd like this- people would take notice and assume you must have something valuable to say. The assassin's nose wrinkled at the idea of returning to Serendipity, but before she could open her mouth to retort Sage had spoken up again.

"Basil..."

She'd nearly forgotten about her youngest cousin. How old had he been when she left? Two? Three? Her aunt and uncle had always kept the boy away from prying eyes, so Sarah had only ever met him once or twice. If Sage was here now, did that mean...

The assassin crossed her arms, eyes narrowing. "Well, I'm sorry to hear that." she said flatly. "But if you think you'll find him here..." She paused, taking a deep breath begore continuing. "I left all of this behind me years ago, Sage. Why would I want to... involve myself again?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Um... Do you think it might be safe yet?"

"That's the third time you've asked. What was my answer the last two times?"

"Right... uh, sorry..."

Eckhart sat on his bed, fiddling with his necklace anxiously. Belledonna the cat sat on the desk, making notations in Maladies Most Unusual. The sounds of fighting had stopped a few minutes ago, but the window in his room didn't offer a clear enough view for him to make out what had happened. It wasn't that scuffles like this were uncommon- quite the opposite- but there had been an uncharacteristic seriousness in his sister's voice when she'd told him to stay inside. That worried him. "It's just, Hilda said that-"

There came a knock at the door, and Eckhart froze momentarily. He exhaled when he heard a familiar voice, and got up to answer the door. Sweet Ansgar, nearly gave me a heart attack..."

He cracked open the door, giving the two boys a nervous smile. "Um, hey. What's going on?" he asked, trying and failing to hide the worry on his face. "Shouldn't you two be in your rooms? I think there's something going on outside..."

"Nah it just ended." Randal said quickly, grabbing hold of the healers arm. "That boy with the face is hurt though! You gotta help him, c'mon!"

From inside the room, Eckhart heard Belladonna mewl in resignation. "Of course he is. Go on, I'll grab the bag..."

Whim

Violet eyes bored a hole in Sarah. He could ask her and use Cody. And yet, somehow, that all felt wrong. "We thought maybe living here you might have told people about the family. About Basil. And that maybe someone overheard and got the idea to take him.

"I don't think you would've done it. Not even to be spiteful, but I have to look." He fell silent, and then gave a small nod to the dog-knight. "Is your life here good, at least?"

"At least we weren't the only ones sent to our rooms!" the boy cackled with laughter, flashing Randal a wicked grin. "Was it Hildegarde or the cat?"

The mood darkened as they stepped out into the street. There was a massive crater in the cobblestone where the elemental emerged, and a small crowd of onlookers gawked at the destruction. Griselda and the Connlaothian were tending Pavew. The youth's breaths were slow, short and labored punctuated by something between a cry and a cough.

"Ribs got squeezed into his lungs I guess. Busted them. Do you got anything for that?" his gaze fell to Eckhart's book, reaching to grab and page through it if not stopped.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah remained silent, face expressionless. She had briefed Hildagarde on her family members and their abilities, but that had been years ago, and in the privacy of their own home. Besides, it was common knowlege that her boss despised human traffickers- she'd never kidnap anybody, much less a child Randal's age. Though, thinking back on the information she had given...

"I think I'm missing something here..." Sarah said, frowning. "Was there, like, a randsome note? Anything at all to tell you why he'd been taken?" There was a genuine confusion in her voice- if anybody in the family was to be kidnapped, wouldn't it have been Auntie Rosemary?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I cant believe she made you come out here! You could have been killed!"

Kneeling down in front of Pavew, Porcelina haphazardly felt at the boy's ribs. He winced in pain, and she immediately drew her hands away. "Careful!" Winnifred snapped, crouching down next to her. "Do you even know first aid?"

"Of course I don't!" the dwarf replied angrily, crossing her arms. "Do I look like Eckhart to you?"

"Then move it! You're just gonna get in the way!"

"Sister..." the boy's voice moaned from beneath his mask. "Sister says... stop fighting..."

"Sweet Ansgar, are you okay?"

Porcelina opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by Eckhart's voice before she could say anything too nasty. She glanced upwards, sighing in relief as she saw the Connlaothian boy hurriedly approaching them, Randal and Ewan in tow. "Pavew got crushed," she said, shuffling back to give him room. "He's hurt."

"Ribs got squeezed into his lungs I guess." said Ewan, reaching for Eckhart's book. "Busted them. Do you got anything for that?

The young man grimaced. "Um... Let me- hey!" He lifted the book out of the child's reach. "Knock it off!"

Getting up from where she'd been sitting, Griselda gave the redheaded boy a stern glare. She began to walk towads the center of the crater, motioning for the two boys to follow...