Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flames upon the Water (CounterfeitFish)

Started by quaggan, April 22, 2021, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

It was pure pleasure to be lounging on these new pillows, Athanasia decided. After several weeks of having to make do with her old ones, nothing to do but wait for the cotton plants to mature. Her worshippers had some fluff and feathers saved, but the pillow cases couldn't be made until later. Forced to choose between allowing lesser fabric and waiting, the goddess grudgingly elected to wait. She never considered patience a virtue, it was closer to a waste of time her inferiors had to engage in... but this one time, it paid off.

As she luxuriated in the comfortable softness, she heard the distant sound of a bell. One of the people must have arrived to seek her blessing, or to pray in person. The life of a goddess was truly filled with work. Athanasia shifted her position a little, just to appear more imposing. She took a breath slightly deeper than usual, then blew out fire. Two jets of flame erupted in front of her lips, leaping towards the entrance to frame it in the light of her power. It would look better flying across the ceiling, but she didn't want to risk setting fire to her shrine.

One of the young people tending the shrine pulled aside the curtain at the doorway, allowing the petitioners to enter, flanked by flames. A human couple came in, the man's arm protectively wrapped around the woman who was clutching something. Athanasia extinguished the flames, earning a soft gasp from one of the attendants. Perhaps by this time she should have been used to their awe, but it always sounded just as sweet.

The woman handed her offering to one of the attendants, who presented it to the goddess with a practiced bow. Athanasia's eyes glittered with pleasure as she surveyed the gift. It was a bracelet, woven with some kind of a solid vine or wicker... not her favourite. But there was a lovely glint within the lattice, piquing her interest. The goddess summoned a small flame to give it a better light, and was rewarded with a sight of resplendent red gems. Now that was a present fit for her! She immediately slipped it onto her left wrist, then turned to welcome her worshippers. They've certainly earned her time.

The humans fell to their knees, bowing their heads respectfully. "Our Gracious Lady of Ruin" the man began, "I am Franco the carpenter, and this is my wife Maria. She's with our first child. We- we've come to seek your blessing, so that our son will be born healthy."

"Come, Maria" Athanasia beckoned. The woman took a few timid steps forward, stopping just before the dais. The goddess sat up, reaching with her left hand as she commanded her flames to surround them both. Maria let out a small yelp, frozen in place.

Athanasia rested the palm of her hand against the human's belly. "Thus I ignite the spark of your life into a blaze that shall burn bright and long. Rise, so that one day you would stand on your own before me." She pulled her hand back, extinguishing the flame.

"Your son is fortunate to have parents so devoted and talented" she proclaimed. "Go with my blessing, and raise him well."

The couple burst out into words of gratitude. Athanasia leaned back onto her lounger as she watched them leave. Now that was a good day of work. She called on a few flames, making them move around her arm. She wanted to admire her new bracelet in all lighting possible.

Suddenly, the bell rang again. The distraction made her flames go out as she sat up straighter in surprise. Another petitioner, so fast? Now that was going to be a busy day.

CounterfeitFish

Ashton Seldvros was not happy. Since he had left his village, it seems like only bad things could happen to him. A group of adventurers tried to kill him, but Ashton managed to get away in time. Someone tried to shoot Kaeth, and woke Ashton up from a very nice nap he was having. Let's just say that they won't be shooting anything anymore. At least he got a shiny gold ring from it, though. Finally, he was lost, and stuck out in the sun, where he was at risk of dying due to his vampire blood. Luckily he managed to find a nice cloak during his travels, but it was still VERY unpleasant.

Sticking to the shadows whenever he could, Ashton began to explore the odd place he found himself in. He tried to ask for directions from people, but all he got in response were scowls and muttered words. Huh, it seems like people don't trust a shady-looking hooded guy.  After a little while he found a very important-looking building where a crowd of people had gathered. Ashton was confused, but he decided to wait and see if he could enter. After watching a couple walk in, he figured this must be some sort of religious place, judging by their expressions as they left. This was bolstered by the fact that nearly everybody who was waiting by the building held something of value, most likely as an offering to whatever deity they worshipped. Yadda Yadda, ding-dong bell time.

Ashton wasn't really a religious person, but if going in here could get him out of the sun, it works. For now, at least. As he walks into the building, he quietly sighs as he finally gets out of the sunlight. He notices the lizard lady Athanasia, and assumes that she must be the subject of worship. He didn't know if she was an actual goddess, a demigod, or just some sort of poser. However, he believed that now would be a good time to say little and wait for what happens next. "Hello there."
--------------
OOC: One quick thing, if I said anything that contradicts the lore/setting of this place, just let me know and I will try and fix it. EDIT ON 4/30: Minor edit for clarity.

CounterfeitFish

----------
OOC: I hope school isn't stealing your free time again. If it is, tell said school that it sucks. Anyways, just a quick nudge to see if everything is alright and let you know that i'm still here!

quaggan

Athanasia scrutinized the new arrival with a mixture of pleased surprise and anticipation. She really liked meeting travelers. Her usual flock of worshippers were... reliable, she could count on them to deliver basic necessities, with room for some pleasant surprises such as the new bracelet. But the true excitement and most interesting moments of her life as a goddess was provided by the people who were just passing by. She loved hearing their stories of places far away, and the offerings they brought were always unique!

The attendant in charge of greeting the new arrivals to her shrine cleared his throat. "Be in awe! You are in the presence of She who Slumbers Between Stars, Our Glorious Lady of Ruin, Athanasia, Goddess of Toledo!"

As his spiel neared its end, the goddess summoned her flames to erupt in front of the dais. Showmanship was an important part of her work, and she did enjoy showing off to new audiences.

CounterfeitFish

Ashton examined Athanasia in turn, trying to learn anything he could. At a first glance, she certainly didn't seem godlike. Regal, yes. Powerful, maybe. But...not really that special. However, he was interrupted by someone shouting at him.

After listening to the attendant say their piece, Ashton was slightly more convinced that Athanasia may be some sort of deity. Of course, he could be wrong, but not just anyone could get an entire village to worship them. Then, he saw the fire. Out of nowhere flames appeared near the dias, which really surprised him. It was decided, at last. Even if Athanasia wasn't a goddess, she certainly had some sort of magic.

Though he didn't like it, Ashton knew he had to swallow his pride and go along with whatever was happening here. Firstly, he didn't want to have an angry mob chase him out for disrespecting Athanasia. Secondly, if she decided to use those flames on him, it wouldn't go well. Finally, even if he wasn't attacked somehow, Ashton would rather stay out of the sun whenever he can. So, he had no choice but to be nice.

"Son of a...nice trick there, with the fire." He bowed to Athanasia. "I am your..." He grimaced for a moment, then managed to spit out the words. "...humble servant, Lady Athanasia." It was clear that while he wasn't being mean or rude, he definitely didn't enjoy saying it.

quaggan

Aha! Looked like her show of power had the desired effect. Athanasia basked in the pleasant glow of having impressed a new person. She moved the flames slightly to have them cast the most flattering light possible on her and turned her attention back to the traveller. He didn't seem to be bringing an offering, but some offered tales of their adventures and faraway places in place of material items. She loved hearing those stories, imagining the wonders they've seen. It wasn't like she could go and see them for herself, so that was the closest she could get.

"Enter and be welcome" Athanasia proclaimed. "What brings you to the doors of my shrine?"

CounterfeitFish

Ashton smiled, nodding to Athanasia in thanks. Now, he had confirmation that he was welcome here. Now, he had to figure out how to word his next statement.

While it seemed like this place was friendly enough, he did not know how far that friendliness would go. No way to know without asking, though. After a brief pause, Ashton began to speak.

"I seek nothing but shelter for a day or two, preferably without hindrance. I have traveled far, and encountered  many hardships. You see, I come from a place whose inhabitants, myself included, usually aren't welcome in most public places. I am often forced to leave an area soon after I arrive, typically with a few angry people chasing after me. I hoped that this would not be the same as all the others."

After finishing his speech, Ashton thought for a moment, then decided to add on one more thing. "If you require some form of payment or offering, I would be completely willing to provide it. I do not have many valuables, but I am sure I can find a way to pay you."

quaggan

Now it was very right and proper of him to petition her first! Travelers in need of shelter for a night usually asked one of her subjects to stay at their house or a barn, trading them trinkets or some other help. Most of them were pious and visited her shrine to pay respects and make a small offering, but never before has she been approached by someone requesting permission for the lodging itself! Oh, she liked this wanderer.

"By my name as the goddess of Toledo and holder of this dominion, I hereby grant you permission to remain on my land until you are rested and ready to continue your journey" she declared. "I need no additional compensation save for your company and the tales of the world beyond the borders of my influence."

CounterfeitFish

"You have my thanks, Athanasia. I do not know as much as I would like, but I am sure the few stories I have will be sufficient. Before I begin, I must do something. Please pardon the wait."

Ashton became silent, and looked up to the sky. He concentrated on something in the distance, then smiled. Seemingly out of nowhere, an unnaturally large crow flew through the entrance to the shrine, landing on Ashton's shoulder. Unlike the common crows, this bird was much larger and seemed more refined. There were no twigs or bits of plant material in the crow's feathers, and it seemed to regard itself with an air of superiority, similar to Ashton's.

"My apologies, I did not want to leave my friend out at the mercy of the elements, especially if I was given shelter." He paused once more, looking up at Kaeth. He nodded, then turned back to Athanasia. "Plus, Kaeth enjoys a good story as well."
------------------
OOC: Sorry for the wait! I should be back now.

quaggan

That was such a huge bird! It was all black and its feathers were glossy and shiny just like her scales. Athanasia had never seen birds this size anywhere near Toledo. The shrine attendants reacted with a mix of impression and approval. One of them opened her mouth as if to ask if she could pet the bird, but shut up and minded her place.

If she liked birds, Athanasia could use it. She snapped her fingers, calling on the attendant's attention. "Bring us some refreshments" she commanded, making use of some fancy words she once overheard a noble use. She would be a gracious hostess to her guests. "The usual for us, and... tell me, what would Kaeth eat?"

CounterfeitFish

OOC: Fuuuuuuck, I am SO sorry for the extremely late post! I didn't have any wifi/data for a while, and got it back only a day or two ago. Good news, my schedule should be back in order now. I was going to have Ashton start the actual storytelling in the post after this one, maybe a bit later depending on how the rp goes.
-------------
Ashton nodded to the goddess and her attendants, then looked back to Kaeth. He paused to speak with his companion, then faced Athanasia once more.

"Kaeth and I both appreciate your hospitality. If you happen to have meat of any variety, that would be preferable. However, if you do not, some seeds or nuts will work. Once again, thank you for your kindness.

"Now, unless there was anything else you needed, shall we begin the stories? Or would you like to wait for the food to arrive?"

quaggan

OOC: Don't worry about it! Shit happens, and I'm willing to wait.

-------

Meat was not very ample around Toledo, with the woods being full of danger and the village lacking in practiced poachers. Early in her tenure as a goddess, the peasants made a habit of bringing meat offerings whenever one of them got lucky in the forest. Once again, the intent was acceptable, but the execution suffered - they truly had no idea how to prepare it to her liking. Athanasia ended up telling them to just keep meat for themselves - it would benefit both her palate, and her reputation as a kind and clement goddess. She would never have thought that she'd end up having them bring some again.

"Do you have any meat?" she asked.

The shrine attendants looked confused. How was she supposed to know what was going on among the villagers when she stayed at her shrine? She never even claimed to be omniscient in the first place! "Tiago. Go find out if anyone had any luck hunting. Barring that, seeds."

The boy dropped down to one knee, acknowledged her command, and hurriedly made his way out of the shrine. Athanasia didn't like being left with only one attendant, but that couldn't be helped. Perhaps she should look into acquiring animal allies like Kaeth that could carry messages for her.

The other attendant, already familiar with the proceedings for providing travelers with accoutrements, pulled out a pillow and placed it on the floor for the guest to sit on. She hesitated, glancing at Kaeth. "Would your friend want a seat, too, Master- I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name..."

CounterfeitFish

He slowly looked at all of the attendants, noting their extreme loyalty to their goddess. None of them hesitated or doubted her commands, which they left to complete immediately. Ashton found that level of control interesting. Surely she must be using some kind of magic, or there would be those who disagreed with her. No matter, however.

"I am Ashton. This is Kaeth." He looked at his companion once more, then shook his head at the attendant. "Though he appreciates his offer, he would prefer to stay with me." Ashton smiled at her, showing two rows of razor-sharp teeth, a sharp contrast to his refined, albeit colorful appearance. "Do not worry. I'm not upset, it was a small mistake."

He slowly sat down upon the pillow, reveling in the softness. Life in the woods was hard on someone, especially someone who tries to look good at all times. Luxuries were few and far between, and needed to be savored like a fine wine. Kaeth remained on his shoulder, letting out an indignant caw at the sudden change in elevation.

"Though I hate to delay things further, I believe that it may be good to wait until your servant Tiago returns. It is a long story, and I do not feel like repeating myself simply because someone was late. That is, if you allow it, O Goddess." He became a bit more used to showing respect to Athanasia, now that she had earned a part of it. 

quaggan

Athanasia shifted position, arranging herself more comfortably. The traveler she now knew under the name of Ashton seemed to appreciate the pillow, although Kaeth didn't. Well, she was yet to see a bird that fluffed up its nest with comfortable fabrics.

The goddess blinked, hiding her surprise. She did not expect the traveler to want to wait. Perhaps he and Kaeth were so tired, they needed food to engage in any activity. If that was the case, she was impressed with Ashton's ability to hide exhaustion and converse with her. Or did he just fancy Tiago and want to impress the boy with his tales of adventure? It wouldn't be the first time someone passing by took interest in one of the villagers...

Tiago returned with a small bag of seeds. "We weren't able to sow them because the recent heat wave spoiled them - they're practically roasted. But they should be fine to eat, uh, my lord. But you'll have to wait a little for the meat to be cooked."

CounterfeitFish

Ashton turned to face Tiago, inclining his head. "Thank you, Tiago." Taking the bag of seeds from the boy, Ashton took out a small handful and offered it to Kaeth. The familiar inspected the seeds, then cawed loudly at  Ashton. After a brief exchange of quiet words and bird sounds, Ashton sighed.

"Fine, fine. Picky little blighter..." From the handful of seeds, Ashton took one and popped it in his mouth. He looked back at Kaeth, holding out the seeds once more. "There. Are you happy? Good." Kaeth began to eat the seeds, Ashton taking just one more from the bag. "Do not worry about the meat. Cooked or raw, it does not matter to us. However, we can wait if you wish.

"Now, let us begin, now that everyone has arrived." Ashton set the bag of seeds on the ground next to him, Kaeth flying off of his shoulder as he did so. He then turned to face Athanasia and her servants once more, clearing his throat."

"Heed my words, O Goddess, for they have been heard by few and are told by even fewer. What I shall tell you now cannot leave this shrine. I have travelled far in my time, and yet few of my stories compare to this."

Ashton took another seed from the bag, which soon became empty as Kaeth ate all of the seeds. Upon finding that his food was gone, Kaeth cried out once more, flying back up onto Ashton. "Since as long as I can remember, since the grandparents of my grandparents can remember, we have been on this world. The Va'Skree are the consumers of flesh, the drinkers of blood. However, we are not like our cousins, the true Vampires. Though we have many of the same strengths, we are not immortal and undead, like them. The sun, though not as much of a scourge as it is to them, still poses a sizeable problem to anyone who is caught unawares. But, I digress. For hundreds, no, THOUSANDS of years, we have endured. Many would call us evil, a plague upon this world. However, I think otherwise. Yes, we consume the flesh and blood of other beings, but we do what we must to survive, to pass on our culture and lore. Though many wish to wipe us and our brethren out completely, we still live. As this tale draws to an end, I ask you this; If your way of life, which you see as a common way to live and survive was seen as evil to others, would you change, even if it meant that you and your loved ones would die? I, for one, would not." With those final words, Ashton finished his story.

quaggan

Athanasia watched the repartee with clear interest glittering in her eyes. Kaeth seemed to have a more discerning palate than his master. Though as long as it was restricted to seeds, she could keep him fed and satiated without making any sacrifices. As far as food was concerned, these two were some of the most pleasant travelers who've ever visited Toledo.

Ashton's introduction was well-chosen, sparking even more interest in Athanasia. She loved secrets. It was such a transcendental pleasure, to know what others did not. The people of Toledo sometimes visited her shrine to confess some secret that lay heavy on their conscience. It gave her such sublime power to be the keeper of their truths and hearts alike.

She listened with bated breath and her tail tense with excitement. So her guest was not just a boring human, as she initially assumed, he was a scion of powerful and fascinating blood. Now that was thrilling!

"I promise not to reveal your nature beyond these walls" she announced. There was some murmuring from the shrine assistants, so she grabbed their attention with a conjured flame. "The same applies to you" she reminded them. This went without saying, but sometimes even the unsaid had to be spoken out loud.

CounterfeitFish

"You honor me with your words and actions, Athanasia. You have done so much for the two of us, and we have done so little." Ashton got Kaerth's attention, lowering his voice to the point that only the bird would hear it.

"Do you trust her? Okay...I think she is alright...she IS a goddess, after all...alright. It's settled, then." Raising his voice so Athanasia could hear it, Ashton cleared his throat. He stood up, just to fall to one knee.

"O Goddess Athanasia, you have done much for us, and though you asked for naught but a story, both Kaeth and I feel like that is insufficient. Because of that, we have come to an agreement. Should you ever require our aid in the future for whatever reason, we shall come. Do not worry about sending messengers or couriers, your call will make it's way to us within the day. Or rather, the night. Heh..."

He remained kneeling in front of Athanasia, waiting for her response. This level of respect and deference was rare in Ashton, but the goddess had earned it.

quaggan

Oh, there was never a feeling quite like basking in the warm glow of appreciation. Athanasia was so pleased, it took her a moment to properly collect herself. Hopefully Ashton and Kaeth wouldn't notice- no, she would spin it into taking a meaningful pause before speaking.

Her clever plotting was instantly blown out of her mind the moment Ashton spoke. The flames at the entrance flared larger, fueled by her excitement. She quickly shrank them back to the original size - she was quite fond of this shrine, it would be a pity to accidentally burn it down. This was the most thrilling event she's experienced in... oh, such a long time! It wasn't uncommon for travellers to make offerings at her shrine or request her blessing, but such an oath she's never received before, let alone from such a powerful and unique being!

"I am honoured to accept your vow" she pronounced, rising from her comfortable nest. She brought some of the floating flames closer to swirl around them.

CounterfeitFish

Oh, she was lucky that he was kneeling down, otherwise he ABSOLUTELY would have noticed. Although he did not notice her pause, he most definitely noticed the flames grow. He immediately scrambled to his feet, expecting the worst. Yes, maybe he was being a bit paranoid, but in the woods, you need to assume that everything is going to kill you if you want to survive. Kaeth simply cawed in annoyance, readjusting his position.

Ashton quickly realized that nothing was wrong, and brushed himself off a bit. He tried to play it off as nothing, hoping to salvage his dignity. It would have been a mediocre attempt. He watched in silence as Athanasia rose, drawing in slightly as the flames grew closer to the pair.

He finally spoke, more to himself than anything, though anyone in the shrine could hear it if they were paying attention. "An oath of blood and bone...what have I gotten myself into..." If Athanasia was truly a goddess, or even someone who was able to live for a long time, he knew that she could hold him to his promise. However, he doubted that she would require his aid so soon. "And I am honored to have given it. If I am able, I shall answer your call. This I swear, O Goddess." He knew that it had no magical binding, but the Va'Skree are people of honor. He surely would be shunned from his home if he were to defy a vow as grave as this one.

Sensing that something may occur, he knelt down once more. He had spent enough time not only among his people, but among others"to learn that if a ruler exits their throne, it is good to show the proper deference. So, although it still irritated him just a bit, he knelt down on one knee.

quaggan

Though Athanasia would have liked to keep basking in the glory of this moment, the longer it continued the more awkward it was becoming. Even the attendants were no longer awed, and Ashton and Kaeth both were silent, and stayed down. The goddess didn't usually mind people showing deference, but it was getting longer and embarrassing and it didn't look like they were about to start another story! What- oh!

"You may rise and return to your positions" she quickly assured them. "And I would love to hear more about your people, or your travels all over the world."