Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Need a hand....or six?

Started by CounterfeitFish, September 29, 2021, 06:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CounterfeitFish

Ah, so that was the problem. After finding out he wasn't the true problem, Drakmor's mood seemed to improve slightly. "I see. I am not the issue, it is the debt owed." For a minute, Drakmor considered absolving her debt to him. However, he figured it couldn't be that simple. If the life debt was such a problem, the solution couldn't be as simple as saying Neria was cleared. So, he pushed that thought away for now.

His thoughts were interrupted when he noticed Neria had asked him a question. At least,  it was probably a question. After she finished talking, Drakmor's grin returned. Things were going well, so he was happy. After thinking for a few moments, the man finally spoke.

"I know little of the Vaet, the Fae. I know of the Duulvaet and Liivaet, the Dark and Light Fae." In this context, one could assume he was referring to the Seelie and Unseelie courts. "I know they wield magic, or some form of it. From what I have learned, they are harmed when they touch iron. Finally, they should rarely be trusted. That is all I have learned of the...the Folk, as you call them."

Drakmor seemed somewhat proud of his knowledge, limited as it was. Though he knew almost nothing about their history or culture, he knew enough to fight one. For the giant, it was all that truly mattered. "If we are learning more about each other, I suppose I should ask you something. Do you know of the Karvach Ichtis?"

DragonSong

Well, none of what he said was wrong, though it certainly wasn't very comprehensive. She honestly found that the idea didn't bother her too much though--while there was a small chance his lack of knowledge about her people could be a detriment, it was much more likely that she'd be able to use it to her advantage.

She sighed and shrugged in response to his question. Which, really, she supposed she should have seen coming.

"From context, I will assume they are the people you hail from. Beyond that? No, I know nothing of the Karvach Ichtis." Perhaps surprisingly, she managed to mimic the cadence of his voice almost exactly when she repeated the words, her own accent nowhere to be found. While she couldn't speak a language she had never heard--unlike some of her kind--once learned, she could emulate a native speaker with fairly little effort.

CounterfeitFish

This entire time, Drakmor seemed incredibly confident in himself, his wordd and his actions. Even if his plans seemed impossible or flat-out stupid, he went through with them, determined to succeed. However, upon hearing Neria mimic him so easily, Drakmor seemed truly surprised.

Though it was only two words, it was still more than he had ever heard a non-native speaker say properly. When he spoke at last, his accent had thickened substantially and his voice was tinged with nervousness. To him, what she had done was not natural, and it reminded him of why the Vaet were treated with suspicion. "You claim to know nothing of us, and yet you speak like a true Kav. I know not how you accomplished this, but it fills me with unease. You are a strange one, mast-Neria."

Drakmor took a moment to compose himself, then spoke once more. His accent diminished, sounding more like his speech from earlier. However, the tension in his voice remained. "We of the Karvach Ichtis are old...incredibly old. None but the eldest of my race know exactly how old, but none who are an outsider shall know. That is one thing I am unwilling to reveal. We are a peaceful folk....most of us, at least. As you can probably tell, I am not like them. That is all you must know, and all I am willing to share."

Unlike before, the giant was quieter and more reserved when it came to this topic. Despite his willingness to reveal personal information, he still held a deep respect for the laws and tradition of his people, and he was unwilling to give away his people's secrets.

Spoiler
Heyo! I couldn't really come up with a unique accent, so I took the classic route of "look to the media." His accent is pretty similar to that of Carnan from Shadow of War. Here's a video in case you wanted to know what Carnan sounded like! Finally, if Neria ever decided to use her neat glamour mind-control thing, prying into his secrets could be a possible reason! Alright, I'm done with the OOC STUFF for now.
[close]

DragonSong

Neria smiled wryly, though the expression somehow seemed more for her benefit than for his. "I need know nothing of you to speak your language," she replied blandly, and didn't bother to elaborate and just how that was, exactly.

Partially because she didn't actually know. It was simply...part of being Fae. Or at least it was for her, she couldn't exactly speak to every faerie's experience.

She shrugged when Drakmor offered the bare minimum of information and then went quiet. She hadn't exactly given him much more, and she didn't really expect her "savoir" to offer up more than she was willing to.

Her smile widened a bit when he called her strange, and there was suddenly a new glint to her eyes--something that wasn't bloodlust or anger, something almost...playful. "I make you uneasy, do I?" she asked archly, head tipped in an almost predatory fashion as she eyed him sidelong.

CounterfeitFish

"That is what worries me the most. To do such a thing...in the wrong hands, the potential for harm would be immense." Her lack of elaboration made him even more nervous. Though he certainly did not fear his travelling companion, he was wary of her. After all, who knows what else she could do?

While he was wondering about what Neria could be capable of, he noticed that her expression changed. There was a look in her eyes that the six-armed giant did not like. Playful or otherwise, it seemed more unsettling in this context. "Yes...that is what I said, is it not? Especially with that...expression of yours."

He tensed up slightly, unsure of what Neria was planning. She was unreadable to him, which was worrying when he wanted to know what she was going to do. His colorless eyes narrowed, but he did not look away from the half-fae woman.

DragonSong

"Good." Neria smiled innocently--or at least as innocently as her face was capable--and continued on seemingly unbothered. "It will keep you wary. Wary keeps you smart."

If they were going to be traveling together, he should at least be aware of that much.

Carelessly, she added over her shoulder as they walked, "It will also keep you respectful. Which is a very good thing."

Yes, she was having far too much fun taunting him. But as far as she was concerned, she was due--she hadn't had much reason for "fun" of late. Even before being imprisoned in an enchanted sleep and buried in a glass coffin.

CounterfeitFish

Instead of responding, Drakmor lapsed into silence. He had to think, and did not want to be distracted. Even when Neria mentioned him being respectful, there was no response. Perhaps he did not hear her. Or, he might have not cared at all. Whatever it was, he still said nothing. He did keep walking, though.

Could he trust this woman? At this point in time, Drakmor was unsure. While Neria had not been outright hostile, she had not been particularly friendly, either. After a little while, he decided it was too early to form an answer. So, he pushed yet another thought to the side. However, he did have one thing he wanted to ask before he forgot.

"Mastrak. If I had not freed you, if you escaped on your own, what would you have done? Where would you have gone, had you not been in debt to someone?" He expected to get a poor answer to this, but he had to ask it anyway. If he failed, he gained nothing. If he succeeded, however, he may gain a glimpse into who Neria was as a person.

DragonSong

Some of the playfulness bled from her eyes, and she was quiet for a very long time as they continued to walk.

She didn't owe him an answer. Nothing he had asked for in her repayment of the lifedebt she owed him had meant that she would have to answer his questions fully, or at all. But...

Perhaps she was tired. Or perhaps it was truly starting to sink in that...she really didn't know how to answer his question. It was that realization more than anything else that spurred the words from her lips, and by that point she had been silent so long that it seemed as though she wasn't going to answer at all.

"...I would seek out my own people," she replied slowly, quietly. "And I would learn how long I was...away. And then I suppose I would have been given my next command."

Because that's all she was, really. A soldier. One who suddenly had no orders to follow, save those she had submitted to in repayment of a debt.

CounterfeitFish

He nodded, expecting something similar to what Neria said. "Had I been in your situation, I likely would have done the same thing. Discovering how long I was asleep, that is." The part at the end, however, would elicit a separate response.

"You would be given new orders, even though you just escaped a group of slavers...interesting. Unfortunately, I know little of a soldier's life, of your responsibilities. And yet, I cannot help but wonder...are you not bound once more? Bound not by chains, but by war...forced to fight a battle because others command you to do so...but, those are only my thoughts. Do with them what you will."

His speech completed, Drakmor returned to silence. He had spoken his piece, and nothing more needed to be said. Soon, the only sounds coming from the giant were footsteps in the sand and the low humming of a somber tune.

DragonSong

Neria was quiet for several long moments, the only sound their footsteps in the shifting sand. At last, she replied shortly, "You're right. You know little of a soldier's life."

Despite the heat of the desert, the temperature of the air around her cooled considerably for a moment. Unfortunately, her magic was still too weak for it to last long--she would have welcomed constant irritation if it meant a chance at keeping cool.

She didn't want to think about what Drakmor said. Mostly because he was repeating her own words to her mother back to her. And she'd never had a chance to finish that argument.

After a while longer of silence--truly it might have been minutes or hours, she was honestly unsure--she finally muttered, "We should camp soon. And it may do us good to begin sleeping during the heat of the day and traveling in the cooler hours, if we wish to quicken our pace."

CounterfeitFish

The giant walked in silence. He had received his answer, and he had no more questions. His earlier happiness, the energy he had...he lacked that now. His face was a mask of neutrality, a stark contrast to his openness from before.

Drakmor barely registered the change in temperature, focusing on the 'road' ahead. However, when Neria spoke to him, the giant looked over at her. "If that is what you want, then so be it. We of the Karvach Ichtis do not require sleep. Rest if you need it, and I shall keep watch."

Spoiler
Aaaaah sorry for taking so long! Apologies if this makes no sense, by the way!
[close]

DragonSong

Neria quirked an eyebrow. "Perhaps you do not need sleep, but I imagine it is still healthy for you to rest." She shrugged and set about scanning their surroundings for a suitable place to make camp. At this point, she'd take a reasonably friendly-looking dune. "But by all means, if you wish to take watch I will not stop you."

Her tone was blithe, but honestly she didn't know enough about this desert to know just what dangers she should be watching for—though she didn't see a reason to share that piece of information.

CounterfeitFish

He nodded, appearing to only notice this fact now. "Clever. I had not considered that- I would have pushed on. I will rest, then." He did not mind walking for days, if necessary- he could endure plenty of punishment, and his stamina was high. If it was necessary, he would have walked for as long as it was necessary to reach his destination.

"Do you have any supplies for setting up a camp? I do not." As usual, his sentences were short(ish), to the point- even as travelling companions, it seems Drakmor's attitude towards Neria would not change. For now, at least.

DragonSong

The Fae warrior gave him a very dry look. "I was in a cursed glass casket little less than a morn ago. I have nothing with me but the clothes on my back." She spread her arms wide as though to emphasize the point. Frown deepening, she glanced to the side and added with a quiet scoff, "I do not even have my blade. Or any blade."

The thought seemed to visibly distress her, and she began unconsciously flexing her fingers at her left hip, where he scabbard normally rested.

CounterfeitFish

"I asked out of curiosity alone. I know little of the Liivaet, and I know even less of their abilities. I would ask that you do not fault me for inquiring." He nodded once, seemingly content with this explanation.

"You lack a blade? I suppose that much is obvious...I find such a weapon unnecessary, but if you need a replacement, we could find one elsewhere. If we are to be travelling together, I want you to be able to fight at your best." Personally, Drakmor did not see the appeal in blades- they were hefty, unwieldy and took far too much time to learn. Personally, he preferred to fight bare-handed, but he would not prevent Neria from arming herself, if it mattered that much.

DragonSong

"I can fight well enough without one," Neria said quickly, dismissively, though the edges of her mouth had gone tight.

Truthfully, she should have had more of her abilities at her disposal. Battle magic hardly required a blade, after all. But her time asleep seemed to have drained her; she could feel her magic as little more than a flicker.

"I am unfamiliar with desert terrain," she said abruptly, trying not to think about how helpless she felt. "Without supplies of our own, we must rely on the land. I presume you know how to do so?"