Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Denizen's Wants & Limits

Started by Denizen, May 05, 2022, 10:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denizen

PLAYER WANTS

What are your favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?

I generally like classic adventure oriented plots. Good vs Evil. I also have a soft spot for horror and I enjoy comedy. I'm not totally against adding in some romantic elements but it probably won't ever be my main focus. I'm not likely to want to write familial relationships, I prefer characters brought together by common goals and ideals. Each character can have their own unique background that way. I'm mostly going for situations in which everyone involved are equals so we can focus on our own character. If there's a hierarchy amongst the cast then those details need to hashed out beforehand. I like to approach things from a worldbuilding perspective where there are rules and limits. If everyone is all powerful then the stakes are in danger of becoming meaningless and unsatisfying. I never liked cheat codes as a kid. Pretty soon having all that power gets flat and boring as opposed to detailed and nuanced.

What are your least favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?

Plots involving mind control, coercion, or authoritarianism would have to be handled with some care. If it's a detail about the baddies and how they operate that's fine. But I don't particularly want to read page after page of a prisoner-of-war's horrific accounting of conditions they endured. And I don't like scenes where someone is trapped somewhere or helpless for an extended period of time. That's just icky and a little too real for me. I think discretion is required when it comes to how deep you get into the realism of stuff like that.

In my opinion it's difficult to write sibling or other family relationships convincingly with someone you don't know very well, so to write that I'd definitely want some pre-planning. I'm also not interested in being competitive in any way really. I'm here to craft stories collaboratively and have some fun.

What are your favorite character types to play?

I'm an introvert so that tends to rub off on my characters. (Trying my hand at a very extroverted person could be interesting though.) My characters probably won't be talking 90 mph and bouncing off the walls. Basically I'm not the main protagonist in the anime, I'm a slightly mysterious side character with a unique power, dark past, or personal vendetta to fulfill. I'm also very empathetic so my characters tend to be emotionally intelligent as well. I like support roles. I'm fine with being second in command sometimes but I'm not generally very interested in leadership. As always, it depends on the circumstances.

Are you a planner or a pantser? Do you prefer to pre-plan and stick to a script when posting, or do you prefer to surprise and be surprised?

I'm ok with winging it, but that sometimes requires some level of familiarity and trust. I like fun surprises though. Too much chaos or lack of critical thinking though and I'm bound to have to address it and look elsewhere for a collab if we're unable to stay on the same page with things.

How do you feel about group threads?

Group threads are fine. From experience I prefer small groups, like up to 3 or 4 people. Bigger threads for major plot progression can be fun too, but they can get messy or go stagnant.

How often can you reply to any given thread? How long should a partner wait before nudging you for a post?

For now while I'm still getting back into the swing of things let's say twice a week. I can probably do more in fact, but I have a policy against making promises unless I'm reasonably sure I can keep them. I don't wanna be the guy he bites off more than he can chew and makes people wait on him.

What is the longest you're willing to wait for a reply to a thread?

Probably a week. Expectations about posting frequency should be discussed.

How do you feel about instant messenger RP?

Not really my format. I need time to ponder and brainstorm and make adjustments.

How do you feel about post volleying/rapidfire RP?
(Where you and another player post rapidly back and forth in a thread with each other.)

Sounds too rushed for me. Though if I'm free for the day I'd have nothing against writing multiple posts. Depends on availability and the quantity of creative mojo I have at the time.

What's your preferred posting style? Long posts? Short posts? Anything and everything?

I appreciate posts that are at least one or two decently sized paragraphs. Give me stuff to respond to and we're good. But if I'm the only one pushing the story forward then I'll lose my enthusiasm. I think writers should take turns reacting and moving the plot forward.

Any RP styles/habits that you love?

Just be considerate and try to make sure everyone is comfortable and having fun.

Any RP styles/habits that you avoid?

I try to avoid metagaming or god-moding. I'm also careful about how my characters act, even if they're supposed to be evil or an edgy antihero. I can make your character uncomfortable but I'm not interested in making you experience negative emotions. I'd appreciate the same in return.

PLAYER LIMITS

What are you limits regarding powerplay/godmoding?
(For instance, do you mind if someone grabs your character? Picks them up? Punches them?)

I like approaching things in a way that gives each writer a chance to decide whether a punch lands or whether an action succeeds or fails. Give and take, keep things fair so we both/all have a chance to react and offer our input. I don't mind my characters getting roughed up at all, but unless we agreed on it beforehand don't go overboard and repeatedly take control of my character or wail on them forever. I like planning out fights.

What are your limits in regards to romantic situations?
(What are you comfortable with and not comfortable with? Do you prefer to pre-plot relationships or let them happen organically? Are you open to IC-rejection or love-triangles? Age differences? Etc.)

I generally prefer to plan things out to some degree. I'm also cool with seeing where two characters end up organically though if we vibe. (Maybe we play it by ear but give them a nudge every so often.) Again, romance isn't my main focus of choice, but it can be a good layer of detail to have. Age differences are fine as long as everyone in said scenario is of age and giving consent. If it's getting into creepy territory I'mma have to object and/or take my leave, not that I'm worried about it.

What are your limits with regards to graphic content such as sex, violence, drug use, sexual assault, etc? What is your comfort level?

I'm not really interested in being overly graphic without a reason. Mature subject matter is fine but I'm not here for graphic sex or explicit gore. I prefer to keep things PG-13 for the most part. I'm willing to go grittier but it would have to be handled in a more serious or authentic manner. The right chemistry would have to be there. I'm not big on inconsistencies or shallow shock value content.

What are your limits in regards to pregnancy within plots?
(Are you okay with pregnancy in plots? Miscarriages? Loss?)

All fine as plot points/details. Makes good content for personal dramas I suppose if that's your shtick.

What about healing?
(For example, a blind character magically being able to see, a scarred up character having their scars repaired, etc.)

As long as it's not an instantaneous counter to events that just happened with no thought behind it. Pre-planned deus ex machina or agreed upon premises are just fine however.

What about characters being transformed against their will? (Think vampires, werewolves, and magical spells.)

I'm not going to want something like that to happen to my character unless we planned it out. The subject matter itself is fine, I enjoy the supernatural genre.

Anything else?

Can't really think of anything. Questions are welcome. I look forward to RPing with y'all.