Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Falling Leaves [M]

Started by visualspice, May 07, 2022, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She flushed being called out.
"You're too perceptive ," She snapped, but it was evident it amused her more than irritated. 
"And yes.." she went on, picking out the only noble looking man behind Erin and smirking. "And he's so dreamy, too."

If he were to turn around, the only noble looking man seated behind them was a man with thinning white hair who could easily be Hyathia's uncle.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Internally, Erin laughed at Hyathia's knee-jerk reaction to his prodding; She could be so innately haughty, in such an adorable way that it only made him want to tease her more. Externally, however, the smile fell off of the man's face at her reply, replaced with a confused frown. Wait... was she being serious? Surely not, but... Putting his doubts to the test, Erin actually did turn around. And the sight he saw caused him to visibly pale— something that Hyathia would notice only after he turned back to her.

"Him?" The young warrior replied in grave disbelief, his heart sinking a bit. Well, that was... certainly sobering. He felt as though he'd been stabbed— again, which was insane considering that he literally had been stabbed earlier in the day. Composing himself by hiding his face behind his cup, Erin cleared his throat before continuing. "I-I mean. I, uh, I didn't know you were... er. Ahem. He... seems nice, I suppose?"

visualspice

Hyathia had gotten more wine and it was all she could do not to choke on it while trying to fight off a laugh.

"I find the aged man quite attractive. I mean why not.." she went on, gesturing animatedly with her hands. "He's clearly got money.. experience and the most beautifully snow white of hair!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Dumbfounded, yet admittedly humbled by this revelation, Erin could only blankly nod in unwitting acceptance as Hyathia went on about the extravagant benefits of older men. To say that Erin was shaken would've been an understatement; Ignoring the blow to his ego, Hyathia's words were so disproportionate to literally everything he knew— or thought he knew— about her that it never dawned on him that she could possibly be joking.

It also, expectedly, got under his skin just a little to picture Hyathia happier with someone else, rather than him. A bitter pill to swallow, despite the fact that he'd been trying to mentally enforce a bit of separation between them in his mind prior. Crazy; He'd never been madly infatuated with anyone other than Evelyn before, and now he was experiencing jealousy for the first time. What a day.

"Ah... well, I can't say I relate, admittedly, but I'm not... er... Well, I'm sure any older noble would be glad to have you by their side." He responded after taking it all in, fighting to keep his cool. There was an ugly sensation bubbling up inside him that was rather unfitting of someone like him, but he did well to squash it, for everyone's sake.

visualspice

She was shaking trying to hold back her laugh. She had never been that good at keeping up with a farce. She covered her mouth and looked away. But his expression... was he truly playing along with her?

Hyacinthus

Very unpleasant indeed.

Erin wasn't really sure what to think at the moment. He wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the thicket when it came to matters of the heart— he spent his years in the heat of battle, distracting himself from... well, himself, with adventure and excitement. He wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of a woman he'd shared a night with talking about other men, but... maybe that was normal? Hell if he knew.

"...Pardon for a moment— I have to take care of something. I'll be right back, okay?" He mentioned in a seemingly distracted tone, quickly standing and stepping away from the table without much explanation. And step away he did, quite quickly at that— seemingly heading toward the tavern's kitchen, before his figures disappeared into the crowd.

visualspice

Hyathia blinked quizzically as he excused himself. Oh, he must need to use the privy. 

"Okay.. but you'd better be right back!" She teased after. Truthfully he hoped he did hurry back. She still felt anxious in this place, even more so without Erin there to distract her from curious eyes. So as she waited she simply focused on her drink, avoiding anyone's eyes but often times trying to seek out Erin in the crowd to see if he had returned.

Hyacinthus

To Erin's word, he wasn't long at all; Within a few minutes he was strolling back with a renewed pep in his step, as if some burden had been lifted from his shoulders. What had changed? It was hard to say. His hair seemed to be a slight bit disheveled, but that could've just been from the walk, or brushing against something. His figure provoked a few chuckles here and there as he got closer to his table, but it wasn't immediately apparent as to what was so funny— until he got close enough to Hyathia that a rather obvious, stinging handprint had been newly added to his face.

"Apologies— I had to go meet someone. Now, where were we? Older nobles, was it?" He started up as if nothing was wrong, a perfectly normal smile on his face as he tapped at his earlier-cleaned plate absentmindedly.

visualspice

Although he hadn't been gone long, it felt like an eternity. Especially with the pressure of those staring at her from around them. The patrons had been keeping an eye on their table, no doubt to see if the couple would cause another scene. Hyathia was trying to play off she didn't notice, and the expression she wore when Erin finally returned was one of pure elation. She had begun to worry about him, if only because her mind was preoccupied with anything else. But then she saw his hair and a redness to hid face and frowned, rising from her seat.

"Oh, Erin.. are you okay?"

But then she saw it- the unmistakable hand print imprinted on his cheek. She covered her mouth reflexively, her mind looping through all sorts of reasons for Erin's sudden look. And before she could think better to ask...

"By Ansgar's name.. what happened to your face?"

Hyacinthus

Erin smirked, closing his eyes while raising a hand to his face to touch the fresh red mark. It probably would've been too much to ask for Hyathia to not mention it, knowing her-- so he was neither disappointed nor annoyed that it came up immediately. "A reality check," He answered with an amused tone to his voice, his fingers touching at the taut skin. He wasn't lying, but the full story was rather embarrassing to speak for certain. There was no easy way to explain that in his disbelief and jealousy, he went to ask one of the waitresses he knew fairly well if he also fancied older men over someone like him; And certainly no easy way to explain that that her answer was a resoundingly physical 'stop being stupid' to the face.

It was just as difficult to explain that in his confused state of mind, given that she didn't actually DENY the accusation, Erin was coming to a rather sudden and wildly incorrect assumption that younger women just sorta preferred older men as a whole; A tough pill to swallow for him, given he'd always had a devilishly youthful face, but he took it in stride all the same. "More importantly, have you thought anymore about what you're gunna do when we head back toward Vythe?" He started, his tone a bit lower to not raise any potential eyebrows near them. "I'm guessing you've got family, or friends you'll want to look for, yeah?"

visualspice

At the question, she dropped her gaze. 

"I... well.. no, not really," She began slowly. She didn't lift her gaze, chewing over all the thoughts that plagued her. 

"Do.. you think it would be safe to return there?" She asked quietly, finally lifting her gaze after a time.

Hyacinthus

"No," Came Erin's short, swift, yet honest reply, thinking back on the events that led them out of the duchy, "It's probably pretty perilous right now. At best, the worst of the riots and internal fighting have subsided and the people of the duchy have taken martial law into their own hands. That's at best, of course."

He then looked to Hyathia intently, as if expecting her to admit to something that he'd stated— but knowing that she wouldn't— or rather, couldn't— he continued on. "Then there's the fact that there are apparently folks that are after you in particular. It would've been one thing if you were just some high-value noble, but considering you might be the gra—" He began, before realizing what he was saying and cutting himself off, "...Considering someone came after you specifically, there's probably a greater risk and reward in place for your capture in particular."

He closed his eyes, and thought for a moment... before eventually opening them and smiling. "...But that's what I'm here for. Doesn't matter how dangerous it is— AAs long as you stick with me, I can guarantee your safety. A promise is a promise, after all."

visualspice

Hyathia chewed on her lip worriedly. 

"I.. it.. still doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not anyone of consequence." Sighing, she lowered her gaze, staring at her plate and suddenly not feeling very hungry.

Yes, the fact he'd offered to protect her made her feel better but the earlier thoughts...

"But I'm old enough," She began after a time. "I.. I can be on my own.. live my own life and not keep myself tied back there..."
Her thoughts trailed off. 

But what about those she cared for. At this, she raised her eyes to Erin.

Hyacinthus

Erin nodded in agreement, shifting in his chair a bit. She was right; She wasn't a child... no matter how much she sometimes reminded him of one. "At the end of the day, leaving home of your own accord is something you have to do with all your heart. Getting displaced, or swept up in an adventure... I know full well how things like that can result in loose threads and regrets."

He could remember a trip he took through the Niahi forest; An escort job where he'd been tasked with helping a daughter find her way back to a sick mother in La'marri. She'd left home after a fight, and never properly made up afterwards. Never got the chance to, either— the trip took longer than her mother had left in this world, and they arrived too late for any kind of closure to be had. Erin dealt with situations like that in the field at times— but that one in particular always hit hard.

"You have my support, no matter what you decide to do." He explained, raising his cup to his lips once more, relishing the wine. "Just... Whatever you decide to do, decide on it with all your heart."

visualspice

Hyathia wished so desperately that she could hug Erin, but either propriety as it were... she refrained and simply fidgeted in her seat, only then deciding to pick up her glass of wine and began to drink. 

Her eyes were affixed elsewhere, a nervous foot tapping beneath the table as she frowned and thought about too many things at once. 

Hyacinthus

Erin watched Hyathia from across the table, his own thoughts beginning to swim with the wine in his system. 'Decide on it with all your heart', huh... His mind flickered briefly back toward Evelyn, and his gaze trailed upward. He, himself still had unresolved emotions dwelling within him— flittering in and out of visibility in his mind like so many leaves gently dropping from a tree.

Was she right about Hyathia? And what was that kiss? And who had come after him earlier? He didn't know which of these problems to attempt unraveling first— if at all.

So he threw them all on the back burner, smiling as he finished his wine and sat the empty cup on the table near an equally empty plate. He was sure it'd all work itself out eventually. "You must be tired. You've had quite a long day, all things considered." He noted, taking stock of her plate and the occupied look in her eyes. "We'll head back to the inn soon— I'll even let you have the whole of your bed tonight, and sleep in mine." He joked with a smile, his tone low enough that she could hear, but the finally-quieted peanut gallery could not.

visualspice

Hyathia hadn't considered what going to bed could fully entail until he spoke and she tensed, blushing at his words.

And then she smiled, peering up at him sheepishly.

"You know.. despite everything that had happened I'm glad." She paused to take him in, eyes honest.. loving. "If none of this craziness had occurred I'd never have met you, Erin."

Hyacinthus

Erin blinked, a very, very light shade of red dampening his cheeks as he chuckled a bit at her honesty. She could truly say the most disarming things when one didn't expect it...

"Haha, well, I... I'm glad I met you too, Hyathia." He somewhat awkwardly responded, reciprocating her feelings. It was always odd to him, the idea of truly opening up to others. He was more or less always some level of distant from the world— it was the only way to deal with a lot of what he'd been through— but Hyathia required... no, demanded more than that. Very few people had ever made him feel that way— vulnerable, in a sense.

visualspice

She dropped her gaze, blush glowing. 

"I.. '  she looked towards her wine and decided to drink more down. 

"It.. it's been a long couple of days... hasn't it?" She asked, looking up at him again. 

Hyacinthus

"Fairly so. And they don't tend to het much shorter, when there's adventures to be had. But try not to dwell on it too much, okay? Trust your lowly knight-guardian; The harder you stew on something, the less it makes sense." He explained, filling his own cup with wine once more.

"For instance, if the Duke's men are—"

*Crash*

A loud noise roused Erin from his thoughts as a sea of cheers and laughter broke out some few tables away. His eyes scanned the scene from his seat, not out of concern but intrigue... and after seeing a man flat on his ass with half a cup's worth of mead spilled on the floor, and another man climbing atop a table with an empty cup of his own, he couldn't help but laugh at the sight, disorderly though it was.

"Better start wrapping up— It gets wild around this hour, and more than a few lads are about to start getting tossed out— after getting a couple bruises from the tavern keeps." Erin noted with a smile, turning his attention back to Hyathia. "Happens more than it doesn't. Didn't see it yesterday, I figure, due to... uh. Well." 'Due to me tossing you onto a table before anyone else could get too rowdy' was the correct answer, but not the one he wanted to admit to at the moment, so he simply let it be— and somewhat hoped , with a bit of red across his face, that Hyathia would as well.