Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Falling Leaves [M]

Started by visualspice, May 07, 2022, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Hyathia was pretty sure she held her breath the entire time. She exhaled a bit loudly and nodded her head. It was time to go. She didn't spare a glance back at the man, maybe if she didn't look it hadn't happened. But as they walked, she shivered.  Things keep getting too close to call. And she was wondering how long this luck would last.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Erin's gaze remained focused on the path ahead as they walked, though some part of his mind was preoccupied still with questions about the situation at hand. Who exactly was the girl he was traveling with? Why was she so important as to draw out so much danger, and why didn't she know what was going on herself? Nothing quite added up... And he assumed whatever the answers were, they wouldn't be so easily found as on a notebook in the middle of nowhere. She was going to have to get back home, somehow, and figure this out.

Raising a single hand, he whistled for his horse; The sound echoed out nearby, but he heard no response, which only further added to his worries. Prior to the fall, he saddled the steed some distance away from the  commotions of the brigands who'd been traveling with her. Had it gotten scared off, or was he simply not close enough for it to hear him...? Either way, they needed to continue walking.

Eventually, his eyes fell back on the girl, and observed her shivering form for a time. Adrenaline could only push someone so far, he reminded himself-- She was hanging in there for now, but she wasn't built for this sort of trial; She needed to keep her strength up, as best she could. Thus did Erin once more wordlessly take his azure cape and fling it around the girl's shoulders; Some minor protection from the elements. Nowhere near as pretty as her dress, unfortunately. "You'll get sick if you don't keep warm," He noted, not particularly used to caring for others. He could only assume this was the sort of thing he should do in this situation.

"Have you figured any of this out, yet? Why these men are after you? They mentioned the name D'al Astarot-- Are you one of the Duke's kids?" He was getting nowhere fast trying to piece it together on his own; Perhaps Hyathia had managed to put two and two together by now.

visualspice

Hyathia thanked him softly as she drew the cape around herself,  the rain and storm unrelenting. Then at his question, she shook her head and peered his way with a frown.

"I.  I don't think so..No.  I was told my parents were dead..some relation to the Duke but.. I wasn't given more than that.  "
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"He called you 'The only living true-blooded grandchild'," Erin thought out loud, his eyes back on the road ahead, "Which I'm sure means... something. Has to. Whatever it is, it makes you worth sending men to die over, and you're going to have to deal with that one way or another." 'Deal with' sounded incredibly fatalistic, but it was true, in a way. Whatever Hyathia was, so long as the war continued to wage on, it was more likely than not that people would seek her out. That sort of relentless pursuit could wear down a person, quickly... He may have been partially joking about her turning tail and running to Serendipity, but at this rate, unless the war ended, there was likely no safe place in Connlaoth for her.

Speaking of... "...Do you still intend on going back into Vythe? Knowing that there's a target on your head? You could always lay low, wait out the war." He noted in a contemplative tone, offering just one of many alternatives.

visualspice

Hyathia's brows furrowed as she thought over the whole scenario. Despite the raging storm still pelting them and the country side, her mind was evolving into a whirlwind of it's own. She shook her head, sighing.

"It's... well, I am from that blood line but.. a grand child of the duke?" She thought it over, face twisting in confusion. "It.. would mean.."
Her mother had to have had her on the side....
But even still..
What worth is a bastard child?

She couldn't have known of any of the contracts.. the strings her mother pulled to get Hyathia some form of protection and inheritance. It was true, the current Duke had no children.. nor even grand children...

So was she his only remaining bloodline?
And she couldn't have known that it was her grandfather that produced the bastard of her father, a name still allowed unto her, a child of the next generation....

So she simply chewed over what facts she did have as they continued on.

Hyacinthus

Erin scratched the back of his head with his armored gauntlet, sighing; He was just about at his limit of being able to understand any of this. He could only sigh and shrug it all off by the end, deciding ultimately that if nothing else, this was all just proof that he really had no business getting too far involved in the world of politics. He was an adventurer and a warrior; His place was on the battlefield, or on the open road. His parents lived in an alley within Falkenrath, relatively removed from the chaos that surrounded them. He couldn't relate to the woes of a noblewoman displaced from her home and lifestyle, no matter how hard he tried, he feared.

"Well, one thing's for certain; You can't keep running around in that dress and expect to be okay. We've also got to get your wounds cleaned before they fester; Rolling around in the mud like you did earlier probably didn't help either." He explained, looking about for any landmarks he might've seen or recalled as they continued up the hillside. Once more he whistled for his horse; Once more he received no response. This was all beginning to concern him; He knew not what that explosion from the top of the hill was, but at this rate, they were going to have to go find out, for the chances of finding a horse capable of carrying them away from this precarious place.

visualspice

He was right. What a waste of a dress. But her ruined, new dress was the least of her worries. Her arm , as she was recalling,  was in an awful state that she would rather not move it and she had lots of cuts and bruises from the cliff side shenanigans.

She was pulled from her thoughts as Erin was whistling again. She approached his side, glancing around.
"What .. what are you looking for?"

Hyacinthus

Raising an eyebrow, Erin looked over at the girl with a quizzical look, almost responding with a sarcastic quip, before realization set in. "Oh, right," He noted, the light of a eureka moment flashing upon his now blank face, "You wouldn't know. You were hanging precariously off of the side of the mountain cliff at the time." He nodded, confirming his logic to himself more than anyone else, the winds besetting his crimson armor, yet not stopping him as he continued up the beaten path.

"Before I came climbing down to rescue you, I was on my way to Vythe. The Falkenrath adventurer's guild received a request for some mercenary work-- A mage had been spotted somewhere in the city, and the with the civil war, hands were short. I happen to be uniquely equipped to deal with issues like that, so I took on the job and was headed that way on horseback when I stumbled across you." He explained, running a gauntlet-covered hand through his hair to pull it out of his face. Between the traces of blood still visible on his face and the rain, it stuck to his eyes unnecessarily and reminded him that he was due for a trip to the barber sometime soon.

"I left my horse somewhere up the cliffside-- didn't want it getting too close to the action. We're not making it to Vythe on foot in your condition, so if I can't find it, we may have to... commandeer one from someone charitable. Or dead." In his mind, the worse situation would be to explore that explosion with Hyathia in toe-- but he had to consider that at this rate, he might have to. There was no telling if his horse had gotten spooked by the sounds of battle from below, or taken by some passing thief-- And short of carrying the girl, that put him in a bad spot for making it to the gates of the duchy.

visualspice

Hyathia looked to Erin, her eyes then looking skyward and studying the plume of smoke, a visible dark cloud of contrast, even in the storm. It seemed they were heading towards that chaos and she chewed on her lip. She almost offered her own horse in service but well... her horse wasn't anywhere nearby now was it?

She studied Erin again as they walked.
"So you are a Connlaothian?" She asked, genuinely curious. Not that he seemed an outsider .. just... Most abeled men had joined the army for one cause or another.

Hyacinthus

"Hah. You wouldn't think it, would you?"

Erin smirked, shrugging his shoulders in response to the girl's question. "My folks were born in Connlaoth, but their folks, from what I understand, settled there from Essyrn. Escaped slaves. The world was a different place back then, I guess." He explained, staring off into the distant sky. "Grew up hearing these stories about how my grandparents had to walk from the southern end of the continent to the north. All the sights they saw, people they met, adventures they nearly lost their lives on. If your head was as full of tall tales as mine was as a kid, you might've wandered pretty far afield yourself. Wanderlust's in my blood; I couldn't be bothered to take up arms for any one cause. Besides, would've been difficult to explain after my first de--" His tongue almost slipped, but he caught it before saying something truly scary to the girl. "...After my first day of drill training. I hate training." Smooth, Erin; Real smooth.

The two grew closer and closer still to the signs of chaos. Erin gave whistling one last shot-- one final try before they were likely to be within earshot of who or whatever set off those explosives... And received nothing but silence in return. Yep, that was more or less the luck they were having thus far... Sighing, he looked back to Hyathia, a rather serious look on his face. "Looks like we might be commandeering after all," He told her, before raising a finger towards the pluming, black smoke, "Likely from whatever made that explosion. This might get dicey... but I can't really leave you by your lonesome. That said, if anything happens to me, you run, and leave me behind. Got it?"

visualspice

If Hyathia noticed anything strange about his history, she made no mention but her interest did perk up at his ancestry.

"I couldn't imagine getting to travel so much. I've rarely left the town, let alone this duchy, " she lamented. She frowned thoughtfully as they walked and peered out into the forests, half shrouded by rain. Her frown deepened. She couldn't imagine losing her horse. A pain at the thiught that her own horse might be dead anyways,  after this attack.

Then at Erin's words she studied him, the frown never leaving her face.

"But..." right.. war. She chewed nervously on her lip and cast her eyes at her feet. Then she lifted her gaze . "What do you plan to do?" They were fortunate there was no current sight of fighting, except the tell tale fires coming from the city and the shouting and echo of blades down below.

Hyacinthus

Erin waved a finger at the noblewoman, an attempt to get his point across. "No 'but's, this time. I'll be damned if you go and get yourself captured after all of this." He complained, before looking back towards the smoke. The winds and the rain had caused the black pillar of fumes to shift, but it's trail lead towards civilization all the same. "I'm not a directions guy, unfortunately, but smoke means civilization-- a settlement of some sort. And no settlement in Connlaoth doesn't have a stable far from it."

He turned, full-body to Hyathia and tried to gauge her reaction as he continued to speak. "I figure that we make for whatever that settlement is, grab a horse, and retreat to Matron's Hollow. You'll be safe there; At least, for long enough to get those wounds looked at, and some clothes. Then... well, then I don't know. Go petition the Grand Duke, or head straight into Vythe. Or lay low, wait out the civil war." He explained, crossing his arms. "But again-- the first sign of any trouble, in any of this, you make a run for it, and I'll hold off who I can, for as long as I can." With that, Erin sighed, before looking across the hillside. It'd be a long walk down, but there didn't seem to be an alt--

*Neeeeeeigh!*

The rapid approach of galloping hoofs filled Erin's ears and brought renewed anticipation to his mind as his eyes traced the hillside for an oncoming enemy, or the odd passerby-- But when his eyes finally met the approaching creature, that anticipation was washed clean from his heart with a wave of relief. "...Or not. Thank Seth." His shoulders slumped, tension beginning to leave his body. His horse had arrived! The steed must've struggled to navigate the hillside, delaying it's way over. Finally-- FINALLY-- some good luck! As it slowed to a stop at Erin's side, he reached up and gave it the long-overdue petting and head rubs it so desperately was owed. "Hyathia... this is Noble. Noble, Hyathia." Erin mused, already in a much better mood now as he moved to the horse's saddle and adjusted it a bit; he needed to be sure the girl would fit on, after all. "Alright; We make for Matron's Hollow. Come on." Erin said as, with a single step up from the stirrup of the saddle, he leapt up onto the chestnut-furred steed and in turn offered his hand to Hyathia to do the same.

visualspice

Hyathia peered at the smoke.
"I don't think that's chimney fire." The city had been on fire. Thankfully the rains would put out most of it.

And much like Erin, she tensed at the sound of a horse, only to be relieved it was her rescuer's steed. She approached the horse with a smile, gently petting the horse's nose.

"HI, Noble," She cooed softly,  a smile warming her face. "You'll keep us safe, wont you?"

And she turned to take the offered hand,  being pulled to the saddle where she adjusted herself and the cape to keeo herself as warm and protected from the rains as she could

Hyacinthus

Once Hyathia was secured on Noble's back, Erin reached forward and pet the steed on the back of it's neck, before taking the reigns. "Noble's been through more than I have," He noted, half-joking before the horse turned on the heels of it's hoofs and began making for the opposite direction they'd been traveling, "He'll keep us safe. In the meantime, hold on tight and keep your head low; There's no telling if we're still being tailed, or for how long."

With that, he leaned in a little closer, and gave Noble the go-ahead to pick up the pace; Before long, the mighty steed was bolting down the mountain path, headed out of the Duchy, and straight towards Matron's Hollow. Erin's eyes remained focused on the trail, but a smile unconsciously graced his face as he steered; Seeing Hyathia's own for the first time today alongside being reunited with his horse had, unknown to him, done great wonders for his mood as a whole.

visualspice

It was strange, she was still fearful that at any moment, something terrible could befall them again. But she also felt safe, with the winds racing through her hair and horse hooves thundering beneath her and Erin's arms protectively around her, his form pressing into her, yes.. she felt like things would get better. She would be safer.. even the heavens agreed as the storms turned into simple rain splashing their path.

She had her own personal hero, a champion who helped her through insanity.  And she couldn't help it but smile a little too as they ran, because heck, he was a pretty cute rescuer too.. even if he was a little crazy.

Hyacinthus

Noble was a proud, heavy-built steed; A workhorse if ever there was one. What he lacked in beauty or elegance of body, he made up for in stamina and grit. Upon his back, Erin and Hyathia made a quick and sound departure of the duchy of Vythe, and before long had crossed the approximate borders into Matron's Hallow once more. Originally, he'd only planned to find the nearest settlement to the border, and stop there... but the city of Uthlyn wasn't so terribly far from the border of Matron's Hallow leading from Vythe, and so Erin set Noble on the path to the city of renaissance, with only a few breaks along the way. His biggest concern was Hyathia's health; she was in good spirits, but with her injuries he couldn't say for how long that would last.

Before long, the pair had arrived at the stables of the grand city, and Erin was at last able to grant Noble the rest he deserved; Descending from his mount and nesting the great steed in one of the stable's free stalls. "Good horse. Good Noble. Thank you." Erin took the horse gently by the head and patted it's mane, resting his own head against Noble's for a moment-- the chestnut steed huffing in approval, and 'rewarding' Erin with a solitary lick on the face. Damn, he loved that horse.

He moved from Noble's head to saddle where Hyathia rested, and offered his arms to her to help her get down. "How're you holding up? If you've never been outside of Vythe, you'll love this place. After we get you patched up, at least."

visualspice

The events of the day were draining,  the entire ride she remained on edge, even knowing she was in her way to safety. It was probably noticeable in her eyes, making her appear older than she was, and tired, but she managed a smile.

"I could eat a whole roast and sleep the next few days away."

She accepted his arm and dismounted as gracefully as she could,but her legs were a bit wobbly from being on a saddle for hours and she stumbled a little into Erin's side.

She blushed and apologized,  leaning into him for support while also wincing as she had jerked her broken arm. Thankfully none of the clotted wounds reopened.

Hyacinthus

Erin laughed at her response, glad to see she was still in good spirits after the long ride out of the duchy. There was still a reasonable amount of tension built up in his body-- both from the ambush and the horse ride-- but slowly, surely, he did begin to feel as though he could allow it to pass, bit by bit.

Hyathia weighed next to nothing in Erin's arms, which made proper since given his mastery of the battleaxe, Vanagandr. As she descended, he also couldn't help but notice for the first time that the noble 'girl' had already begun developing the body of a proper noble 'lady'. Yet after dying once by assassination in bed from a pretty face he trusted a little too eagerly, he quickly lost the ability to  be flustered easily, and as Hyathia bumped into him in about as cute a manner as he could've imagined, he cursed himself for it. Damned Seth! Give him back his boyish innocence!

"Shall we? I know the name of a pretty good doctor a little ways into the city that should be able to fix you up, no problem. Or if you've got any questions before we head that way, now's the time. At this hour, there's probably enough folks out and about and about to the point of you not being able to hear yourself think."

visualspice

Hyathia sighed wearily.
"A doctor sounds almost as good as food. " But she shook her head before looking down,  gasping a little at the state of her dress and well.. herself!

How long had her dress been revealing that much cleavage and that much skin!? There were holes practically everywhere and he once modest dress was just shambles. She didn't even want to consider the state of her hair as one hand tried to hold the front of her dress together and her other hand was brushing and smoothing down her erratic hair.

"I'd say a dress maker might be nice but.." she sighed and shook her head. This wasn't the time to worry about her wardrobe- even as her state was raising alarms inside her head. She felt.. almost naked in front of Erin, and despite having looked this way like.. the entire time,  she suddenly felt very vulnerable and stood awkwardly beside him, looking away.

Hyacinthus

"Doctors, clothiers, stylists, chefs. Maybe not the finest in the world, but you'll find them all here, no worries." Erin nodded at his own words, recalling his first time in Uthlyn as a boy. Strapping, yet green, young adventurer that he was back then (and still is, if he had to admit so), Erin had only ever taken on small quests and leves to hunt down wildlife or settle inner-city disputes. The first quest that ever took him out of Falkenrath proper was an escort request-- one that paid well, and lead right into the big city. A young Erin, with reward money in his hands and a new, beautiful landscape to explore... ah, the trouble he got into. The friends he made. Hopefully some of them were still in the city!

Erin lead the way as they began their walk from the stables into Uthlyn proper. The city was indeed all it was made out to be; compared even to the capital of Vythe, the hustle and bustle of everyday life flooded the streets. On cemented sidewalks, the occasional cart-carrying merchant plied his or her trade; Some few further steps in, a struggling painter had drawn a small crowd as he created, in real time, a masterpiece. It was a city of splendors, truly-- One that Erin couldn't NOT enjoy. That said Erin's pace wasn't particularly leisurely at the moment. He walked slightly in front of Hyathia while keeping relative pace with her, for two reasons; The first being that, naturally, he knew where he was going... mostly. He wasn't a frequenter of Uthlyn, but if you've seen all of the city once or twice, then you've seen all of the city a hundred times. Their first destination was definitely a doctor-- one he was rather familiar with-- but afterwards he'd hopefully get time enough to show Hyathia some of the more scenic spots he knew of... She could probably use it, after the day she'd had.

The second, less obvious reason, was to keep her relatively out of his and everyone else's sight. She was, after all... Well, 'having a wardrobe malfunction' was probably a nice way to put it. By keeping her relatively in his shadow, the commonfolk that they passed on their way to the doctor's practice found their eyes first drawn to his great stature and outstanding crimson armor, rather than her... disheveled state. It also kept Erin from doing what any man accompanying a woman in revealing attire would do, which was admittedly far more important to him and his ego at the moment, but that was neither here nor there. "Keeping up alright? Need to stop?"