Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sneaky Scribe [closed]

Started by Gligar, August 18, 2022, 03:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gligar

As Kovarst slid his way into the Great Library of Essyrn's forbidden section in fox form, he couldn't shake the feeling that he may have walked into a trap. It had been too easy to sneak in! With a sneer, he shifted back into his human form, then put his hands into his pockets and grinned like a little boy in a pastry shop. There were so many forbidden books here, books that he could scrounge around in and learn new things from!

Taking a tentative first step into the library, Kovarst closed his eyes – then, when it became evident that nothing had happened, opened them again. At the impunity with which he acted, he couldn't help a chuckle. This was going to be fun, wasn't it?

Now if only he'd remembered to bring a notebook...but if it was this easy to sneak in, then he'd definitely have enough time and energy for repeat visits.

visualspice

Thats when the slender form of an unusually pale skinned woman rose from behind a desk right before him in the great entry way of the forbidden library. Her incredibly long, golden hair cooked around her firm like elegant serpents,  a feature which was surprisingly similar to the archaic coiled designs accenting the library's carved wood designs that decorated book shelves, scroll shelves and walls alike.

As she moved,  her back was mostly facing the young man so she hadn't seen him approach as she softly hummed and began to rifle through a basket of papyrus and scrolls.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Gligar

Kovarst immediately turned his head. His draconic instincts served him well in this case, as a woman in a chain approached. A slave, maybe? Although he had no idea what a slave was doing in a place as secretive as this. Anyway, it was probably best to keep his distance, and not otherwise draw her attention...

Before he could do that, he suddenly lost his balance and nearly tripped. He yelped just loudly enough for her to hear – adjusting himself, he straightened up. Sometimes getting the hang of things was hard in human form, and...

...oh damn it all, he'd alerted her to his presence, hadn't he?

visualspice

The woman's humming abruptly stopped. Her head lifted, tilting curiously as she peered over her shoulder. She had been smiling as she turned around, lips open as if about to speak, but the words died there and her mouth just sort of hung open as she looked at him.

A few moments later, her eyes fluttered into some sort of recognition as she states, "Oh, you're not the Watcher."
She stood there, awkward and uncertain as she slowly turned to face him properly and frowned.

"This is most unusual. There are protocols for instances like this. Hold on, for just one moment," and she moved with a purpose towards a tall desk with a very large, fat book upon it and began to rifle through the pages.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Gligar

Was this woman a slave? Kovarst didn't know that they kept slaves so deep in the library, and that they did so raised a whole lot of questions. Mostly, Kovarst felt sorry for the girl – that was, until he realized that she might've been a threat.

"Uh huh, yeah, great about those protocols. I'll just, uh...be a minute." And without further comment, Kovarst spun around and turned into a fox, then bounded towards the exit. He had no idea what this creepy girl was going to do to him, and he wasn't going to stick around to find out. With the way things were going, she might've tortured him or something!

visualspice

Ithica was nose deep in the pages, anxiously scanning the pages when the transformation from man to fox caught her eyes. She gasped, uncertain what to make of such magics and whirled around to pull on a heavy cord beside her. Further down the hall, a heavy stone door fell closed just before the fox had a chance to escape, and Ithica had to hold her breath at what occurred, fearful since she had almost just flattened the poor animal!

Gligar

Kovarst stopped just short of being flattened – instinctively, he turned around and growled, still in his fox form. "Do you know what I really am, human? I could tear you limb from limb just for trying that," he said, baring his fangs. It was largely an empty threat, but she didn't know that.

Admittedly, it wasn't a very effective threat. He wasn't on the level of menace he exuded as a dragon quite yet, but if this slave woman pushed it, that would soon change. It was a shame what would happen to all these poor books, though, but that was a small price to pay for his life.

visualspice

Ithica jerked back, startled by the animals sudden baring of teeth but more so at his speech! Of all the things she should have been concerned about... she couldn't help but sputter, "You.. you can talk!"

Gligar

"...Of course I can talk. I talked earlier, didn't I?" said Kovarst, with a blink. "Although if you're referring to my ability to talk in this form specifically...well, that's something of a skill of mine, yes. It's not the only form I can assume, either."

"Anyway, you're going to let me out of here and leave me alone, or you're going to be in for a really nasty surprise." Despite his size, Kovarst tried his best to glower down at the woman. "Trust me when I say that I've killed people before, and this is the cuddliest you'll ever see me."

visualspice

She couldn't help herself and simply stared with her mouth agape. After a moment, she fought back a smile; the giddyness that this strange situation was happening to her of all people wasn't lost upon her and she was quick to place a hand to cover her smiling lips.

"I beg your pardon but... this situation is most unusual. I'm not given permission to decide your fate, nor do I know what I ought to be doing, but if I could ask you not to harm me, that would be rather decent of you!" she went on with an enthusiastic nod of her head.

And again, she was finding herself simply staring at the little animal shifter in awe, eyes sparkling as if a sea of stars.

"Does it.. does it hurt to talk like that?" she asked, curiously leaning a little closer to her captive.

Gligar

Kovarst growled. "Well, if you don't want to be hurt, then you'd better let me out of this library. And if you're not the one in charge of my fate or whatever, then direct me to whoever is so I can convince them to let me out. Or tear them a new one; depends on my mood."

Then he shook himself. "No, it doesn't hurt to talk in this form. It's a skill I've gotten used to in my time as a wizard," he said, with his best approximation of a smile. "Why would it hurt, anyway? That seems a bit weird."

"Anyway, let me out now. Or tell your boss to do so, I don't care."

visualspice

Ithica regarded him, nodding simply.

"Well then all we can do is wait," She went on. She cast him an apologetic look, however, it was difficult for the young woman to hide her smile.

"So.. what are you?" She blurted out rhe question with no regard for his obvious sourness.

Gligar

"I'm so glad you asked me that question."

Kovarst reared his head and grew suddenly, his white fur turning into white scales and his fox's eyes turning large and slitted – in a matter of seconds, he was back in full dragon form. With a sneer that bared razor-sharp fangs, he looked down on the poor librarian – he hoped that she was at least having second thoughts about keeping him inside.

"Are you starting to regret locking me up, little girl?" he said, his voice full of draconic hubris. "If I were a little human like yourself, I'd start questioning my recent decisions right about now."

visualspice

Ithica's mouth just fell open, eyes wide as saucers as the being changed again and grew to an enormous size, forcing the poor girl to back away, her back now pressed to the front of the desk she was chained to.

And inspite of herself, and all the fear that swarmed inside her belly and all her instincts telling her to scream and run...

The girl actually smiled up at the beast, eyes glittering in fascination.

"You.. your.. you're a shape shifter!" She sputtered enthusiastically, knuckles white as she braced herself against the desk.  "By Hakeshna's name..." And she just took him in in wonder.

Gligar

Kovarst blinked. "I...that's not a normal reaction to a dragon," he said, as he crouched down to level his head with the slave girl's. "Let alone one that explicitly and specifically threatened you with...you know what, never mind."

At an impasse as to what to do, Kovarst scratched his head with his claw. "So...are you going to let me out now or what?" he said. "Because if you don't, things could get pretty ugly for you." All empty threats, of course. Kovarst wouldn't dare harm a poor little slave girl; slaves were powerless beings, and harming them wouldn't sit well with him.

At least, not if they were actively threatening him, of course.

visualspice

His words sobered her..  somewhat. She was still in awe of him and it took a few extra moments for her to register his request. Then she frowned. 

"As I've said before, I can only summon the prison.  I don't have the ability to retract it."

Well, that she knew of. She moved closer to him, the chain around her ankle tinkling as it scraped against the floor.

"My job here is to see to the secret books in this library. My whole purpose is to protect that knowledge , a duty blessed by the Shah herself!" She shook her head.  "My job is not to pass judgement, but to fulfill my duty.. you understand.. don't you?" She asked, still feeling bad since well.. it was her fault he got trapped.

She studied him, a curious wonder still in her eyes.

"Can you turn into anything else? Any other mythical beasts or legends?" She asked. She couldn't help it. This was so exciting!