Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Madman in the Cave [Open]

Started by Squeeman, January 19, 2023, 12:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squeeman

Nestled deep within the tall, black mountains to the south of Adela, there was a cave. It had a small entrance, barely more than a hole in the ground. This hole in the ground led to a pocket of space tall enough for the small and those of average height to stand comfortably, but the tall would find their heads scraping the black rock of the ceiling. Past this pocket was a tunnel, not wide enough for most to squeeze their shoulders through. It was cool and dark inside, as the sun never seemed to shine directly upon it, and it was nestled among trees and bushes, almost hidden by the green that grew around it. There was a game trail leading to the cave, but that had not been trod by any beast for the past few seasons. And yet, smoke rose from the hole and into the air and past the canopy of the pines towards the sky.

For the cave, despite its remoteness and hidden nature had a single inhabitant. A man, of sorts, hunched over a small and flickering fire that was just bright enough to turn the cave from a realm of darkness into a room of shadow. This man was dressed oddly, wearing a wooden mask that was carved to resemble a skull, painted black and white, and a set of robes that were long and trailed behind his body in patches of black and gray.

The mask had been pushed up just far enough to reveal his mouth, which was tearing chunks of flesh from a barely-cooked rabbit. The teeth were sharp, in the way that pieces of broken slate and shingle are sharp, and clustered close together. These teeth bit and tore at the roasted flesh, causing bursts of "juice" (fat and blood and other things) to dribble down the pale chin as the mouth chewed and chomped. He clutched the rabbit in hands with long, spidery fingers, thin with long, cracked nails at the end and prominent knuckles and joints. The hands were delicate, yet firm in their grip...

"Someone approaches..."

The whisper came to his ear, and his alone, and the strange man turned to face the entrance, and waited a few moments. Someone was coming up the game trail, someone was approaching his home. Did they hunt him, still, the children of the servants he had tried to raise in the south? Was this some new threat? A dragon? A wizard or mage who wanted to keep the mountain to themselves? Or, worst of all, an angry bear? He waited to speak until whatever came was just outside the hole...

"Who dares approach the lair of The Magnificent and Mystical Emperor Moebius, First of His Name?! IDENTIFY YOURSELF! I smell your blood and sweat, stranger! I hear the crunching of dirt and sticks and pine needles beneath your feet! I have been told of your coming by the dead, whose eyes see ALL that the living wish to hide! SPEAK! SPEAK or I shall drink your blood and roast you upon the fire to fill my belly! Or slay you and deny you the dreaming sleep of true death!"

ice

There was a certain calm that was over the mountains that one creature did enjoy. He was very happy to just wonder around with no destination in mind. His eyes seemed to glow in the darkness of the wooded area . Though he was still a bit cautious for he knew that there was said to be dragons in this land. The last thing he wanted to do was disturb a dragon or something else that might be dangerous.

As he walked he could hear the sound of other creatures of the mountains. It was a calming sound to him. As he was walking something made him stop in his tracks.

The smell of smoke was in the air. Something or someone was here with him. Now he wondered who or what was here with him. So he decided to follow the smell.

As he got closer to the source of the smell he became a bit uneasy. There was something strange here. He could feel that it was no animal that was making that smell. Someone was here with him. With that in mind he shapeshifted in to his bird like form. He didn't want to reveal his true form to whoever was here.

He now could see that the smoke was coming from a small entrance to a small hole now that was interesting to say the least. So what did he do? He just stopped and frowned. He wasn't sure what the other was like.

The he heard a voice coming from the hole.
They spoke strangely. Yet the sound of their voice made him shiver a little bit. He felt that this male voice was a threat to him. However he chose to speak instead of running away. After all he was the ruler of the birds.

" Me cass no mean to bother you sir. Me was just curious. Me no see very many here in the mountains. Me will leave if you want Cass to. me no want a fight." Said the man still in his bird like form.

Cass as he was called did not want to fight. He was a peaceful sort of creature after all.
My creations

The kind monster
Phears Venintalla

The feral king
Casscocus Avendal

The insect queen
Cassava Vail

The moody spirit
Raven Darkheart

Squeeman

"Cass? Cass?! CASS?!"

There was silence from the cave for a few, tense moments after that shouting. Then, calmly, and with some confusion, Moebius spoke again.

"I've never heard of you. Did someone send you? If so, who? If not, why have you approached my lair?"

A hand rose from the entrance of the cave. It was a long, skinny, pale arm with long, skinny pale fingers. All of the skin seemed to be almost clear, to the point where one could see the veins and the barest outlines of the muscle and tendon stretching and clenching as a single finger beckoned in the direction of Cass' voice. When Moebius spoke again, it was with a warm, fatherly tone that oh so very friendly and polite. Almost as if a hearthfire had been turned to sound and given life.

"And do come closer, good fellow. It is hard to hear you in this mountain air! I would come out myself, but the sun is far too bright for my weak eyes. Even with the shade of the trees and shrubs!"

ice

The bird like creature flinched a bit as he heard the shouting of his name. He didn't really like loud sounds all that well. Then he heard what the man said next.

"Me Cass just a traveler. Me smelled smoke and was curious. Like Cass said not many live here." Cass said now. Sometimes he knew that being curious could get him into trouble. But sometimes he just couldn't help it.

He stayed in his bird form still. His eyes glowed a bit right now. This was due to his magic being used. He didn't want to reveal what he was just yet. Though a talking bird might be more supious. Then his true form would be.

Then he saw the hand come out of the darkness of the cave. He was not sure if he really wanted to get any closer . However he was not going to be rude . He did have his manners after all.

So with that in mind he hopped closer to the cave entrance. When he was barely at the entrance he stopped. He was not really wanting to get too close yet.

" This better? Me Cass no mean to be too quiet. Me can understand that. The sun can be quiet bright." Cass said now.

He was still not sure if he wanted to get to close. He knew that there were dangerous things in these mountain.
My creations

The kind monster
Phears Venintalla

The feral king
Casscocus Avendal

The insect queen
Cassava Vail

The moody spirit
Raven Darkheart

Squeeman

While Cass hopped and skipped and flapped ever closer, Moebius shuffled and shifted within his cave. He turned his back to the sputtering little fire, and faced the entrance... Depending upon where Cass was perched in his bird-shape, he might have seen the outlines of a strange, skull-shaped mask with red eyes staring from the shadows. Due to his new nocturnal habits and eyes, and the time of day, all that Moebius saw was dark shapes here and there through the bright light of the sun. He did not, however, see any shape that was man-shaped.

And yet, he'd heard a man's voice.

"Ha! "Just a traveler," eh?"

Moebius chuckled and looked about again, hoping that his eyes would adjust to the sun-light. He was starting to pick out the color of the forest floor, and which shapes were trees and which were rocks. A few of Moebius' otherworldly servants also began to whisper in his ear of a disappearing man...

"I would not say "just" for you are a traveler with tricks! Disappearing into thin air, throwing your voice... Quite commendable, Sir Cass. Who taught you such secret sorcery? Are they still living?"

ice

Cass made his way closer to the entrance of the cave. He knew that he could be in danger. But for now the other male inside the cave did not seem hostile yet. No he seemed like he was curious just like Cass was. Though the bird like creature knew that looks and sounds could be very deceiving.

Now Cass heard what the other said . Cass was not really trying to deceive the man. He just didn't want to startle him too much. Though if he thought about it a talking bird might seem to be more startling then a bird like creature.

He was quite for a moment as he tried to think of how to explain why he hid what he was.

" Me Cass no disappear. Me just in bird form. Me true form can be startling to some." Cass said now. He wasn't sure how else to explain why he wasn't in a human form.

He was now at the entrance to the cave. He could make out the human like shape in the darkness. What startled him was the outline of his face . Or maybe it was a mask. Cass wasn't sure which one it was.

"Me Cass not human. That is why me hide  appearance. Most are not used to seeing cass true form. Me Cass is ruler of birds. Cass have natural powers. Me no have anyone who teach me. " Cass told the man now. He wasn't sure if that was a good enough explanation but it was the best that he could come up with.

If there was anything to note about Cass it was the fact that he was always honest when asked questions. At least he tried to be honest most of the time.
My creations

The kind monster
Phears Venintalla

The feral king
Casscocus Avendal

The insect queen
Cassava Vail

The moody spirit
Raven Darkheart

Squeeman

"Ah, I see... What a gift, to be able to become a bird and fly through the air under your own power, letting your wings take you wherever you wish! And to be able to shift back into a larger form at will!"

Moebius sighed and shifted ever so slightly in the cave where he was sitting. He moved back from the entrance, into the main pocket of the cave where he was illuminated by fire-light.

"Ah, but I am so rude, aren't I? I threatened you earlier, and I have yet to properly apologize and offer you my hospitality, meager as it is! Come, come sit with me and enjoy the warmth of my fire! Feast with me on what is left of today's catch, and let us enjoy each other's company!"

Moebius was indeed wearing a mask. A wooden one, carved into the shape of a skull, and painted white, with bits of black in just the right places. It hid his mouth, his nose, everything on his face except for his red eyes. The rest of his body was covered, as well, except for hands and feet that were far too long and gnarled to match the short, hunch-backed frame that was hidden beneath his patchwork robes.

"And worry not about disguising yourself or hiding your truth. I have seen far worse things than a man that can shift into a bird in the few months since I have started learning the arts of... magic."

ice

Now the bird like man's just listened to the other man. The longer he looked into the darkness the more his eyes glowed in the dark as they adjusted.

" It can be gift . flight can be very much useful. " Cass said softly. Then he heard the rest of what the man said.

He didn't really consider the man to be rude. There was a lot to take in at once. He had been around far worse then this man before.

" Me Cass take no offense. That sounds nice to Cass. Always up for getting to know others a bit. " Cass said with a nod.

Something told.him though to still be careful. So with that in mind he shifted back to his human like form.

He had the face feathers and wings of a bird. He even had claws on his hands. The rest was human like.

After changing to his true form he careful entered the cave. Now he had tho fold his wings so that they didn't get caught on anything.

He sat to where he was at a comfortable distance from the other. He just wasn't sure what it was but something was off about this odd fellow.
My creations

The kind monster
Phears Venintalla

The feral king
Casscocus Avendal

The insect queen
Cassava Vail

The moody spirit
Raven Darkheart

Squeeman

Moebius, for a moment, appeared to elongate and stretch himself to watch Casscocus transform from a song-bird into a strange mixture of bird and man. However, by the time that Cass had finished his transformation, Moebius had once again contorted and crouched to his previous height and length. Then, he shuffled back and gestured with an arm that seemed ever-so-slightly too long toward the interior of the cave.

Once Cass was inside, Moebius shuffled to a pile of dead, dry sticks that he had kept close to the fire, and threw a handful in. The sputtering, dim flame brightened as it found new fuel to consume. Then, he grabbed the rabbit that he'd caught earlier, and ripped it in half. Moebius then reached with his too-long-arm to the place where Cass had thought himself safe from the necromancer's reach and gave him the rabbit's rear end, which had not yet been bitten.

With the food shared, Moebius lifted his mask just enough to reveal his mouth with its bloody lips and teeth shaped like pieces of broken shale. He bit into his piece of rabbit, tearing away a bloody chunk of meat before chomping and chewing it with all the grace of a starving dog. Once he'd swallowed the bite, Moebius began to speak again.

"Now, I do have a question about your nature... in addition to transforming into a bird, can you speak in the tongue of birds, as well?"