Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Proposal [M]

Started by visualspice, April 23, 2023, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

@Draconian 

------------------

"I've made my decision."

"But your majesty-" Zannrick began, such defense in his tone towards the man like none he'd ever shown before. "I do not think it's wise to marry so little below your station- just for.. for appearance. Just to.. to appease."

The Grand Duke had been sitting at his desk, a small pair of spectacles resting at the bridge of his nose. He complained of head aches as he reach at such an hour, and eventually caved to the idea of using a pair of glasses. He turned towards Zannrick. He knew the man over half his life, and trusted his own life within the man's hand. He had been raised practically from birth, shaped into the perfect body guard for Allerian nobility- and the perfect, lethal weapon for a king. He always held Zannrick's words with the greatest regard, the highest esteem- and he knew the man far deeper than he ought...

So he knew this was a long time coming. When he made the mistake over a year ago and bed the mysterious woman after the storm....
It was just that, or so he thought- a moment of passion after a storm. But it had become so much more complicated, especially after the passing of his wife...

Perhaps it had been the right moment? Perhaps fate was just meant to be... but it couldn't be denied between the pair that Hope was already his son, and the child- though young as he was, was already a growing figure among the population as a sign of Hope-...

Of Peace. For that fateful day in the church when the child had come... He hadn't realized such consequences could rise.

Calent shook his head and sighed, tired. The flickering candle light illuminated the scars and creases from his growing age- even more evident at his recent shaving, his beard now cut short and sharp.

"Times are changing, Zannrick," his voice pressed, authority behind it- but he still felt Zannrick's resolve. The other man growled.

"If anything, a show of good will towards your enemy would mean to marry his mage of a sister, unify the two warring houses- where at least the child would be of pure noble blood! This- this proposal.. to play off of the people's emotions because of some child-"

Calent stood up suddenly, and Zannrick had his mouth open to speak, but closed his mouth, baring teeth.

"We've discussed this, Zannrick," his green eyes were sharp as the men's gazes bore into one another like two heated knives. The sensation evoked from the pair of them was palpable in the air. "And I have thought of this a great deal. With the dying funds... the will of the church... and the rise for answers..."

"Think, my lord. Think before you make such a heinous mistake! Do you dare make yourself so weak as to bow not only below your station, but to your rank superior throughout the land?"

Calent cut him a look, but said nothing, turning from him as he paced over by a nearby wall, a colored tapestry bedecking it with armored men riding atop white horses- a famous march into battle.

"I've made my decision," came his firm reply, back to Zannrick, eyes hard upon the wall.

"Then you have doomed your reign, Grand Duke," the white haired man replied, words chilling, promising of a poisoned fate to come.

Calent closed his eyes, sighing.

"My stance has no waned over my thoughts on the laws, Zannrick.." he said finally, turning to finally look at the other man again, whose face was now red. Zannrick was beyond livid, but he held himself straight and at attention- the perfect soldier.

The perfect mold. He knew despite his displeasure, this man would protect him and his legacy at all costs...
Even if it went against all he stood for. That much he knew- and would never question it...
Especially not after... the night with Medina...

And when he watched her.. helped her...
and the woman lost her child.

"The announcement will be made on Sunday. We're penning a letter to Serendipity-"

"Serendipity!?" Zannrick's voice grew with alarm. Calent seemed unphased.

"There will be peace talks. And I will bring my new adopted child and bride. There, in unbiased lands, I will speak with Duke Harmond directly and we will go over with the queen our plans to unify the country once more."

Zannrick's eyes were positively flaring now- and if that blue color could cut- the world would have burned.

After a time, he finally found the words.

"Peace talks."

"Yes."

"With... The Queen."

"Yes."

"In Serendipity."

"And you will go, as you always have, at my side, as you always will be."

Zannrick tensed, nearly turning away from such a sentiment and swallowed down so much hate, so much venom that he could have breathed steam.

After a long moment of silence, with no motion except from the flickering candles and torch lights... he finally said, "Very well. Let me know when you wish to prepare."

The man remained at attention, eyes boring into Calent but aside from rage- the other seemed almost.. unreadable.  After a time of studying him, he gave a slow nod.

"You may retire for the night. I will call for you again in the morning. You are dismissed for the rest of the day to break."

"Yes, your highness."

Zannrick couldn't even remember how he had gotten out of the room, or when he had entered down the stairwell, or how he had gotten to the top- to a lonely spot far, far away from the hustle and bustle within the palace....

And with a shout, he began to slam his armored fist into the wall over and over and over again, until finally he dropped to the floor in a heap, crying out in pure rage as he held onto his bleeding and broken hand.

What the fuck had become of his world? What had the Grand Duke just done?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

It wasn't unusual for Medina to collect a book about something that was a fleeting interest she saw on one of the shelves and go somewhere that wasn't a bedroom with a lot of maid and servant traffic. Exploring the palace was a past time she'd acquired while Hope was being taken care of by keepers and nannies. Already his education was starting and Medina felt more like an overnight babysitter when she did have her child.

Sometimes she'd day dream of what it was like being somewhere simple again, just her and Hope. He'd probably be much less socialized, Medina speculated, holding the book while she walked. Then she heard the thumping, sounding far off and echo-y. A frown and she turned her head, tilting it to listen and to turn around and follow.

The area wasn't totally unfamiliar, having probably wandered to it a time or two to have some privacy and read. Medina held the book to her chest when she wandered by and started to climb the steps, the thumping turning into a cry of rage and still she slowly ascended. Medina wasn't sure if it was unsafe, so she held the book to her chest and poked her head around the opening to the room.

"Zannrick?" Medina would recognize that head of pale hair anywhere, her voice was quiet and when she saw his hand the book was dropped and she rushed over and was on her knees, hand placed on his back in an attempt to sooth "Oh no, what's happened?!  Are you going to be okay?" Medina was prepared to be pushed away, yelled at. Blamed. Still her desire to help was overwhelming.

visualspice

And it a rush, she was thrown to the wall as if by a savage animal- his face just inches from her's, blue eyes wild as the night, and hair an insane, pale mess about his face, sweat soaked and splattered with seeping blood. Both his hands held her in firm, clenched fists, her back to to the wall, his teeth bared. He was seething.

It was her. Of all the Ansgar's be damned maids and trollops in the palace, it had to be the one wench he despised above all else- perhaps loathed more than any mage in all the land- even the blasted Duke from Turgall who was their enemy!

He shook her, roaring in her face. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

The blood drained from her face and when she was slammed against the wall, the book flung to the far side of the room and momentarily forgotten. Medina gasped loudly and moved her hands to grab Zannrick's wrists. Furious. He was absolutely furious.

Usually he was just angry but now he was absolutely furious. "I won't be intimidated," which was a little bit of a lie, her heart was pounding and her breath quickened in her panic. Hands around his wrists, she slowly moved one hand down to his arm to hold his shoulder. "I can leave if you let me go. Or we can talk. Or something. I only want to help, you know."

visualspice

And that's when he threw her, bodily to the floor.

And he laughed, a wretched, mocking sound.
"I would rather die."

He was absolutely seeing red. And it almost seemed as if he might strike her.

Draconian

With a grunt, Medina caught herself on her hands and knees. The impact stung more than her flesh, it hurt deep down, too. Every branch of friendship she tried to extend was slapped away viciously.

"Very well, It's your grave," Were her only words, Medina got up from the ground in a flurry of skirts and loose long hair, face flushed from anger. Medina practically ran to a maid to inquire about where Calent was, then with the information she did run to him.

The door of the room he was in was rudely interrupted by her, our of breath and flushed. "Cale!" Medina rubbed her hands off on the sides of her dress, the fall didn't make her bleed but the stinging was lingering, "your... Dog Zannrick is having a fit in a tower and..." Medina remembered herself. Remembered she wasn't at home. Remembered that this was the Grand Duke and she shouldn't be so informal. Right now.

"It's not my place to know..." Medina cleared her throat and let out a slow breath, "Is everything okay?"

visualspice

Surprised Medina arrived so suddenly in his chambers had him frowning.  He had been mostly through penning his letter to the Queen and had turned from his desk when she entered.

Ah, so she had run into Zannrick. This made his frown deepen. 

"Have you spoken to him?" He asked, seeming to dismiss her question.

Draconian

"Sort of," Medina sighed, head tilting to the side and crossing her arms over her chest, "He threw me around, almost struck me and would rather die than accept my help." Her eyes caught his letter and she looked at him, taking a few steps away.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, I was just..." Was she worried? "Concerned... For Zannrick. He seemed..." Medina frowned, "afraid?" she nodded towards his letter, "I can come back later, since you're busy."

visualspice

Calent stood and shook his head. "It's best you stay.  Please.. sit.." he motioned towards a settee and  closed the door so they had more privacy.

He wasn't surprised at the news of Zannrick's reaction, but he'd trust the man would swallow it down and due his duty.

"You and I have much to discuss. "

Draconian

Much to discuss?

Medina frowned and took a seat, pulling her hair over her shoulder and playing with the ends nervously. There were a few situations she could think of, most of them involved her leaving - which she wasn't exactly angry about. "Do we?" Medina sighed and dropped her hair, drawing her fingers over her red palms, still aching from when she'd hit the ground, "I'm all ears."

visualspice

Calent grew silent as he watched her. He felt guilty to spring it on her now of all times, but that couldn't be helped. 

He approached her and studied her before speaking. 
"There will be peace talks proposed between Duke Harmond and myself. The meeting will be held on neutral ground.. in Serendipity. "

Draconian

Medina's eyebrows shot up and she blinked owlishly before tilting her head.

"Serendipity? I've heard Arca is lovely," she gave a tense smile and looked down, chewing on her lip now before taking a breath, "It's good you'll be having peace talks. That's a very big step."

A sigh and she started to play with her finger tips, looking down at her lap, "I imagine you'll be gone long time?"

visualspice

"I'm writing to the Queen. We're hoping to have a response by the end of the month." Which meant...

Calent hesitated. 

"And there are a few other matters I'd like to have established before the peace talks."

He studied her for a moment, saying nothing for a time.

"I'd like to talk about Hope."

Draconian

Golden eyes shot up and she met Calents, a suspicious look in her eyes.

"What about Hope?" Her voice was hesitant and already, moments after hearing him she was glancing at the door, pondering on escape options. "You're not taking him away from me, are you?"

visualspice

Calent turned away. Did she really think of him in such a light? To simply steal a child from its mother....

But wasn't he just that? A tyrant? A monster? The spear head of this war that tainted the land with the blood of many?

"Why would you presume so?" He asked quietly, still staring distantly across the room.

Draconian

Medina stood up and moved a hand to rest on Calents shoulder, her voice soft, "Because, this is all feeling like you're about to give me some very bad news and that was the worst bit of news I could think of." Her hand gave a squeeze before she moved her hand to catch his, taking solace in the small bit of contact.

"If it isn't that, what is it about Hope that you need to speak about, Calent." Her voice was firm and she brought her hand up to hold one of his between both of hers.

visualspice

Calent frowned and thought back to his proposal. Taking Hope away....
How strange a way to word it.

He looked down at her, then glanced away in thought- an idle hand stroking at her hair.

"He's... become a political figure for being so young. The events around his birth... even the church has seen some waves declaring the child some destined Saint in these dark times."

Draconian

Medina made a face and found his neck very fascinating. While Medina wasn't religious in the way many Connlaothians were, she only judged the idea of her child being a saint to the degree that he was a baby. There was comfort found when he stroked her hair and she brought his hand up and moved closer, going to his side to curl her arm around his and rest her head on his shoulder.

"Yes, I know. I apologized for that, I'm sure." Medina sighed and closed her eyes, "You can tell me what's going all in one breath, I can take it."

visualspice

Calent stared down into her hair, his stroking stopping.
"Hope would be a good heir.." he began, words slow, as if to test the waters. "Many fear I've lost touch with my people.. what Ansgar truly wished of it's people." It made sense.. most of the soldiers were hardly nobles. No.. the nobility had to stay back and dictate their orders.

He sighed.
"A marriage proposal should be easier than this," he seemed to mutter before moving to turn her, a finger lifting her chin to look at him.

"They say I've been unmarried for too long. " He could see a look in her eyes, knew the confusion, and so many other emotions, would be there.

"Medina.. would you fill the void and take up the role by my side... to give the people a Grand Duchess they can see?"

Draconian

Grand Duchess?

Medina felt dread fill her and she let her head be lifted to look up at Calent. A frown and she blinked a few times while she processed. Felt her heart thump and the sound of it drown our everything else.

"Me?" Her voice was soft and she licked her lips, eyes concerned. "I can see why Zannrick was so angry now," it came out as a breath and it was Medina's turn to look away and stare out into the distance. She chewed on her lower lip and pressed a hand to her stomach.

"Before..." Medina moved away, hand still holding Calents while she mustered up the courage when her chest felt so empty, "before you set that plan in stone... As me as a Grand Duchess..." tears filled her eyes and she let her grip loosen, "I've been lying to you. And I accept... I accept  whatever punishment. But I hope you've come to get to know me as... Me."

"I'm..." She swallowed the hard lump in her throat, "I'm..." Medina tried to spit out the words, but they wouldn't come, "I can't ... With a mordecai like Zannrick nearby I can't..." Medina pulled her hands to herself and looked down at them, flexing them like she used to to imbue the water and the cloths at the clinic. "I'm sorry. For lying."