Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Proposal [M]

Started by visualspice, April 23, 2023, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

For a long while Calent said nothing, emotions brewing within his eyes before he bowed his head and stepped away.

"You're not the only one with confessions," he said softly. "You're... secret... isn't so much so. I've suspected since the night we met. It.. I...." he frowned, uncertain how to phrase it. "It's why I've kept Zannrick near you.  To be certain."

He lifted his gaze, studying her.

"You're a healer, aren't you."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

Medina felt her heart jump up into her throat and her hands fell to her sides, eyes wide and she looked over her shoulder. "I..." Medina turned around, holding her hands to her stomach and glancing down and away, "I am." It took effort not to cry in fear or relief or something.

"You knew?" Medina moved forward, reaching a hand out as if to take Calents hand but pulling it away, "But you.." she shook her head, confused, "You're supposed to hate me."

visualspice

Calent frowned. Her accuasations weren't wrong, but...

"You're the mother of my child. Your... curse of magic is a blessing from Ansgar. I can't help but think fate somehow put you in my path. To remind me why the laws had been the way they were written. My time and efforts to declare change, however, were justified.  Those with magics had become too corrupt by what they possess. The former Grand Duke's assassination was only proof of it. The reaction.. this war against mages.. it was inevitable.  If it were not me spearheading the voice of outrage , to quell those who would strike down order and ignore the laws... another woukd have done the same. "

"I .. will always believe in my restrictions, but I think this nation has suffered enough. Perhaps the years have worn me down to decide on peace talks.. and to marry.. but my burden is to these people. They look to me to lead and if my fellow Duke's are beginning to sympathize with my enemy... then perhaps it's past time I confront the why."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

Medina pressed her hand over her abdomen when he mentioned that she was the mother of his child. His son. The son no one knew was his - though she could only assume some suspected. While he spoke, she looked down at her hands, her magic stifled by the proximity of the mordecai on the grounds.

With hesitation she reached out and took Calents hand, holding his fingers and moving to stand closer. The words were stuck in her throat when she opened her mouth and Medina moved closer, pressing her hand to Calents cheek and brushed her thumb under his eye. The politics were above her head - Medina was an educated woman but... In medicine. Of course her opinions of the war were important but all she wanted, all she had ever wanted, was to live in peace. To wake up not afraid to exist.

"Do you love me?" She finally whispered, afraid for the answer.

visualspice

The silence was shared as he looked into her eyes. His own throat tightened as he considered her question. 

"Does it matter?" He found himself asking. "My wife is dead, the war is choking my country and you.." he studied her, knowing this wasn't the answer she sought. "Have already done something to my heart. Perhaps it's love.. or simply just duty. But it's hard to deny this is where we must place our faith."

Draconian

Does it matter.

Medina looked away immediately, sucked in a breath and let her head turn down a little bit. His words were wind in the trees to her ears and she felt like her insides had ceased to exist, she felt so empty. It wasn't a surprise though, and she didn't know why she had expected anything otherwise. Calent wasn't exactly emotionally available. Medina was convenient.  She was everything he needed to look like he was changed. Like he'd learned from the war. A mage. Not fully Connlaothian. A commoner.

Medina removed her hands and let them fall to her sides, willing herself to remain stoic, even though she could feel her pulse in her throat. "I... See." She looked up again, a small smile not reaching her eyes when she tried to meet his gaze, "Very well then. I will do my duty as a citizen of Connlaoth. I understand my place in this."

visualspice

Calent frowned.  He could sense her emotions, churning from his confession. But ought he to lie to her? Love.. wasn't something he could afford. There was something there, true, but his heart iced over long ago.

"You don't have to answer now," he told her, voice carrying over the stillness of the room. 
"What I'm asking you is a lot and would subject you to to life of the high nobility... the good.. and the bad."

Draconian

It was then she thought of Hope. Already he was growing up in the confines of the palace, wet nurses and maids. Everything he could have ever wanted or wished for was his. While he wasn't officially the Grand Duke's son, he was a special child and she pressed her hands to her abdomen again before turning to the side to look across the room, golden eyes taking in the splendor.

She'd been in here many times.

"I do," she said, if she didn't... Who else was there? Maybe Medina could be a positive influence. "I'm already here. I'm intelligent. I'm well read. I'm not a noble viper like some of the women here, but I suppose I could learn that trait as they do. I'd rather it be me at your side than... Someone with machinations. You know me, my deepest secrets." Medina paused and laced her fingers together and held them down in front of her while she thought of what else to say.

"Hopefully, even if you can't love me, you can trust me." Medina made a face then, like she was slightly pained, "Please tell me you can at least trust me and that I can trust you, Calent."

visualspice

It seemed she had given it some thought.. likely due to her current status already at the castle. Truthfully, he'd never consider such an option.. had it not seemed his world was begging for it.

Hope.. had raised the spirits if those who had been lacking on faith. And now..?

Did he trust her?

He held his frown and simply looked into her eyes.

"As much as any man can for a wife."

But why was it he hesitated so? Had he expected rejection? Truly? The woman could never find a better offer in all her days.

Yet still....

A part of him could not help to believe the whole ordeal of signing a treaty and making compromises for the war...marrying below his station...

Yes, part of him could not help but feel the resentment of defeat.

Draconian

It was all wrong.

Medina unlaced her fingers and took Calents hands in hers, as if to reassure him. She sensed his hesitation. It wasn't a lie he spoke, but it was a non-answer. How much did a man trust his wife?

Her own parents had loved and trusted one another, but they had married for love instead of titles and wealth. It had been all she had wanted before that had been snatched away from her.

"Maybe we can make a deal," She caressed his fingers with her thumb and pressed a gentle kiss to his knuckles, "All your answers have been awful and not at all what I've been wanting or looking for in a husband. I want him to trust and love me and while I've grown very fond of you..." Medina shook her head and pulled a tight face, "But I don't want to be in a loveless marriage. That's my only thing I have as a commoner that nobility doesn't get the chance for, right? A partner I can love? Can we..." It pained her to say this, "make a timeline? A few years? I've already been held captive here, my life on hold." Medina looked down at their hands, "If you can't love me, I don't want to be married to you beyond what purpose I can provide and once this War is resolved there would be no more purpose."

visualspice

Calent's expression was cool as the shadows, green eyes revealing little. But her affectionate gestures were only ghosted in return by him, reflexively. 

"This arrangement does not come with a clause or debate," he told her sternly, eyes never leaving hers. He was serious.

"A Grand Duke will not abandon his wife."

Draconian

Medina tilted her head, giving it a little shake as if confused.

"You'd be wed to a woman you don't love? You are more than a title and duty," she said, her voice soft, "You deserve happiness, too. You know that, don't you?"

visualspice

Despite the debate on the topic, his eyes did not yield;- nor did his expression give much.

"I have bound myself to the country. My position isn't just a name, a title nor influence... but is a purpose. To rule a whole kingdom... chosen by rights.. a victor of peers.."

He shook his head.
"I am the leader of these people, a keeper of this nation- and I aim to carry out the will of God. "

Draconian

Could she be content with that?

Medina thought of her son. He'd likely get an education. But what if the worst happened? Her own head and his would be on the chopping block. She took a step closer and held their hands to her chest, pressing the back of Calents hand to her chest so he could maybe feel her heart beating.

"Perhaps you don't know then," she whispered mostly to herself, Medina was slowly resigning herself, "I understand. This is strictly business for you," She moved closer, minimizing the space between them, she'd grown so fond of Calent over the time she'd been here and it stung to realize it was all one-sided. Hurt to realize it was just a well crafted lie.

"Can I kiss you?" Medina whispered, looking up at him, "You may feel little much for me but... I am very fond of you."

visualspice

Calent's face remained unreadable as she pressed in closer. It almost seemed he might move to cup her face.  Instead, he simply told her ,"You would never have birthed Hope if something were not there. "

But when she asked for a kiss, he frowned and took her hand, kissing the back of it before returning his gaze to her. 

"I do not deserve such affections."

Especially not after what he just did... what he said to her 

Draconian

A tilt of her head and a sad smile before Medina moved to give Calent a chaste sweet kiss on the lips. "You may believe that but  we can agree to disagree," moving away then, she sighed and looked down.

"I'll give you my final answer tomorrow, we can both give it more thought." She chewed on her lower lip in thought, "is that okay?"

visualspice

There was a moment of silence before Calent dipped his head.
"I understand."
Although he knew such a decision could not be taken lightly, he honestly wasn't sure if this decision was entirely wise.  Even Zannrick disagreed, and the man was a born and bred faithful hound.

"Then I shall leave you to be alone this night. "
It would be unfair to try to influence her.. even if he could use a good woman in bed this night. 

Draconian

Medina gave Calents cheek another pat, her chest and head a swirl of emotions. Hurt that he didn't love her, a tightness in her chest that wasn't going to go away anytime soon, she knew.

Giving him another quick gentle kiss, Medina turned around and started to walk away to return to her rooms. To cry into her pillow. To scream into bathwater. At least that was the plan, Medina walked past the area she remembered Zannrick being last and contemplated checking on him.

Instead she continued to walk, her footsteps quiet and soft while she made her way outside. Tracing her fingers along branches and leaves, taking a few moments to admire the flowers. Once Medina had tucked herself in a corner of the garden, she lowered her head and cried.

visualspice

If her sobbing wasn't too loud and concealing, she may have heard she wasn't alone in the garden. A voice. Anger. It came from somewhere nearby.

But if she didn't notice the other, the other surely noticed her, as the fully plated hound of the Grand Duke stepped into view, eyes red and a bottle of liquor in his hand- a shot glass in the other.

"You." Came his cutting words, eyes wild like a hunted boar. And he came stomping her way and jabbed a finger into her face, accusingly.  "Always everywhere you don't belong like a God damn spider. "

He hadn't noticed her tears, the red swollen face from crying at first- but maybe he was too drunk to care. She, on the other hand, had no where to hide from the alcohol that saturated his breath.

Draconian

Medina gasped loudly and jerked away when she heard someone. Tears kept trailing down her cheeks and she did try to stifle them when Zannrick interrupted her solitude.

"You!" She shouted back, hands moving to wipe her face, "you're always in the shadows, stalking like some kind of rat!" Medina pulled away from him, golden eyes bright with humiliation and anger.

"Go away, Zannrick, you're drunk and I don't have the patience to deal with you and your temper tantrum right now," Medina snarled, letting herself be angry instead of suppressing it. Then she moved away from his accusatory finger and moved to go past him.